test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Recommended Laptops...

stodatapiocardstodatapiocard Member Posts: 187 Arc User
edited May 2014 in Ten Forward
Anyone have recommendations for laptops that can play STO, and do other things without being a STO only computer? (From Best Buy, since that's where I'll get it, and under 300 USD)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by stodatapiocard on

Comments

• Options
    stodatapiocardstodatapiocard Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Anyone have recommendations for laptops that can play STO, and do other things without being a STO only computer? (From Best Buy, since that's where I'll get it, and under 300 USD)

And will STO work with Windows 8?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I would be interested to know about laptops too. I am...shall we say, displeased with the quality of Dell engineering of late, and their customer service, too. I am hoping my laptop will live long enough to skip Windows 8 (on the hope that MS does their typical thing and follows this stinker with a good OS), but I am wondering who has the most capable and soundly engineered laptops. My laptop has at least held up to most of the demands I have thrown at it from a processing standpoint, but has engineering defects in the power supply that IMO represent poor workmanship. And Dell either could not or would not match me with a compatible docking station even when it was new. (Personally I am suspecting poor coordination with customer service and/or a don't care attitude as the culprit for this.)

In my case I am willing to spend on a pricier model due to the high demands I place on my computers (time not just STO, but Photoshop and sound-mixing software I expect to be able to run without a hiccup and NOT have to give up multitab browsing to do so) but within limits and I want to get what I am paying for. I would put the limit at $1500, though if superior performance and a potentially long-lasting, well-engineered laptop can be had for less, I would take it.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Under 300 you won't find much, I have an HP Pavilion Dv7 that was 700+ a few years (3 or 4) back (still valued at about 500) and have to use low settings on it, granted I keep it only for the blu-ray burner it has. STO will run on windows 8/8.1 Yes but you'll need to up your budget.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Under 300? I would say the HP 2000, has windows 8 a I-3 processor,4G ram, and half a TB hard drive.
    Not the greatest laptop, but It's competent enough to get the job done.

Everyone is getting pads now, so the price on laptops is tanking.Which is good for laptop fans.
    I had to edit this, I have the HP2000, with the 5 processor and 750 drive, has the 8g ram.The 500 drive, and 3 processor only has 4 G Ram.
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm pretty sure you're not going to find a new laptop in a store for under $300 bucks that can meet the minimum system requirements.

If you're on a set budget, you'll want to look into a used/refurbished machine. If you want something with a warranty, then you're going to have to open your wallet a little wider. Those are your options.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    gulberat wrote: »
    I would be interested to know about laptops too. I am...shall we say, displeased with the quality of Dell engineering of late, and their customer service, too. I am hoping my laptop will live long enough to skip Windows 8 (on the hope that MS does their typical thing and follows this stinker with a good OS), but I am wondering who has the most capable and soundly engineered laptops. My laptop has at least held up to most of the demands I have thrown at it from a processing standpoint, but has engineering defects in the power supply that IMO represent poor workmanship. And Dell either could not or would not match me with a compatible docking station even when it was new. (Personally I am suspecting poor coordination with customer service and/or a don't care attitude as the culprit for this.)

In my case I am willing to spend on a pricier model due to the high demands I place on my computers (time not just STO, but Photoshop and sound-mixing software I expect to be able to run without a hiccup and NOT have to give up multitab browsing to do so) but within limits and I want to get what I am paying for. I would put the limit at $1500, though if superior performance and a potentially long-lasting, well-engineered laptop can be had for less, I would take it.

If not for your recent experience with Dell I would normally recommend the XPS 15 - I bought mine 3 years ago as my "one laptop to rule them all" and there is still nothing out there it can't handle. But I have heard stories similar to yours about the degrading quality of Dell's customer service (which used to be their strong suit.)

The HP Envy 15t and the Asus N550 are competitive options. You can kit both out with an i7 Quad-core and a decent video card for around $1200, and you should be able to install Windows 7 on them.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    ridddickxxxridddickxxx Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    And will STO work with Windows 8?

On my win8 (64bit), never had any problems
    2nhfgxf.jpg
  • Options
    lukaszt1lukaszt1 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I have Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit and works great. My laptop is Asus 1225B Ati Radeon HD6320 full HD 1080P
  • Options
    dkshadow9498dkshadow9498 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I have a Dell M6300 Core 2 Extreme, Nvidia FX3600 gfx card, 17in screen, 6gb of ram, built-in 802.11n wifi, 500gb drive.

It runs STO, TOR, EQ2 and WoW on HIGH easily, and can frequently be found for less than $300 in pretty good shape (when I bought mine 2 years ago, it was listed as "B" condition because the paint on the edges of the lid were a bit worn.)

Just be warned, if it's going to be for lap use, it does get a bit warm so use a cooler.
    VADM William "Darkshadow" Shadow | Join Date: Apr 2009 |
    USS Immortal NX-93608-F (Oddyssey Tactical Cruiser)
    VADM Rogueshadow IRW Kirino Kosaka (Valdore Retrofit)
    LT General Morbo IKS Karac (Bortasqu War Cruiser)
    LT General Posu IKS Saya Takagi (Chel Grett Warship)
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited May 2014
    Regarding Dell:

I repair business desktop and laptop computers for a living, all makes and models. On this game and forum, there's bound to be a lot of techs better than I am, but from my humble 15 years of repairs, I've forged an opinion. I may have to work with it, but I don't trust Dell.

This article will go a long way to explaining why.

I've lost count of the number of repairs I've made to Dell computers suffering from the defective capacitors the article mentions. Most Dell desktops in my county school system had the problem at one point. We techs on that project were asking each other why Dell didn't have a recall. There were around 700 units I had to replace for a major hotel chain headquarters. None of these were in Dell's replacement figures the article quoted. The cost was eaten by the buyers.

And that is my reason for distrust. Not that Dell had a bad defect across multiple models. Such things happen. The problem was that Dell chose the underhanded way out. Not announcing, not recalling, not repairing unless the customer complained, and worse, continuing to manufacture and sell defective units long after the problem was known. Basically they treated their customers like saps.

Now they claim they cleaned up their act. What rock-solid proof is there? Trust is a precious and fragile thing. Dell willfully and blatantly deceived their customers en mass. How does a company guarantee they aren't doing it ever again?

As to their customer service, yeah, I've noticed a slip. To be fair, I've not really seen good customer service from any manufacturer of late. Hopefully, someone else can name a company with good service that I've somehow missed.
  • Options
    zbzznzbzzn Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    While not applicable to OP's requirement of $300 or less, I have been playing Star Trek Online quite well with two different laptops. My older laptop is an ASUS G73SW (Intel Core i7 2630QM @ 2GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M) and my current laptop is an Alienware 17 (Intel Core i7 4700MQ @ 2.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M). Both have been able to run the game smoothly, though obviously I can crank a lot more of the details up with the newer system.

In all honesty, I doubt you're going to be able to find much in the way of a gaming laptop for less than $1000 USD. Most cheaper laptops will be using integrated graphics (ie. Intel HD or low end Nvidia/AMD IGPs). For $300, I doubt you will be able to even get a laptop with a CPU sporting Iris or Iris Pro.
  • Options
    dkshadow9498dkshadow9498 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Regarding Dell:

Yeah I can't argue with that, I know very well Dell's past and you are quite correct.

However, I bought this laptop reconditioned 2 years ago, and have not had any trouble with it playing any games on HIGH, and they are usually less than $300, although it seems FX3600 versions are hard to come by, but since it's an actual card (not integrated) you can always find them on the secondary market.

Also, if I am not mistaken, Alienware is actually Dell under the hood.

Don't get me wrong, I was never a fan of Dell, the problem with laptops though is the lack of ability to build your own, and there is not much standardization in laptops.

My kid's HP laptop is 5 years newer than my Dell, and it's a piece of TRIBBLE, both under the hood and in the way it's built.
    VADM William "Darkshadow" Shadow | Join Date: Apr 2009 |
    USS Immortal NX-93608-F (Oddyssey Tactical Cruiser)
    VADM Rogueshadow IRW Kirino Kosaka (Valdore Retrofit)
    LT General Morbo IKS Karac (Bortasqu War Cruiser)
    LT General Posu IKS Saya Takagi (Chel Grett Warship)