test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please get Shatner to voice something

obelusdoomobelusdoom Member Posts: 8 Arc User
Returning player so not 100% sure he hasn't voiced something in STO already...but here goes

Mr. Shatner isn't getting any younger. I expect he's expensive but with the right pitch perhaps something can be worked out.

A Khan time travel crossover? If only Ricardo Montalban was still with us!

Maybe mentioning that Mr. Nimoy has already been immortalized in STO (because STO will last forever :)) will entice Mr. Shatner to add his immense talent and presence to the game (notice the flattery).

Anyway I just think it would be a really great addition and help cap his Star Trek legacy. I know this isn't a new idea by any means and that this has almost certainly been attempted before. Just thought I'd revisit and offer a friendly reminder/push.
Post edited by obelusdoom on

Comments

• worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I support this.

William Shatner is a bit of an overblown, arrogant fool, but he's OUR fool, and he's a generally decent fool, and he's hilarious and uses his pots of money for decent things.

Plus, he's got a fricking awesome voice. And he's the KING of hamminess (I have a soft spot the size of Jupiter for hamminess).
  • obelusdoomobelusdoom Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    What if when you made a new Fed character it would start with him reading the opening monologue...

"Space...the final frontier....these are...your voyages..."

Chills!
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Adding a VO of him to the episode where you use the Guardian to save the Enterprise wouldn't be out of place either. (Can't remember the name of the episode)
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Honestly, I think there are enough Star Trek actors in STO already. There's a point where it becomes less of a novelty and more of a gimmick.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    iirc, shatner hates sto.
    there was a twitter incident involving shatner and branflakes i believe...
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I know it'd be a stretch, but I would prefer the Sisko to come and do some VO work. Nothing against Mr. Shatner. But the Sisko must play the game, he is...of STO.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind some old Romulan actors coming on and doing some more. I know there's Sela, but she is inherently a villain so far in the story.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    obelusdoom wrote: »
    Returning player so not 100% sure he hasn't voiced something in STO already...but here goes

Mr. Shatner isn't getting any younger. I expect he's expensive but with the right pitch perhaps something can be worked out.

A Khan time travel crossover? If only Ricardo Montalban was still with us!

Maybe mentioning that Mr. Nimoy has already been immortalized in STO (because STO will last forever :)) will entice Mr. Shatner to add his immense talent and presence to the game (notice the flattery).

Anyway I just think it would be a really great addition and help cap his Star Trek legacy. I know this isn't a new idea by any means and that this has almost certainly been attempted before. Just thought I'd revisit and offer a friendly reminder/push.

I don't think Cryptic could afford what William Shatner's asking price would be. They'd have to way the cost vs and probable uptick in revenue by having Mr.Shatner do some voice work; and I seriously doubt they could make it work on the balance sheet.

Honestly, if Mr. Shatner and Mr. Nimoy are still alive around the time of the Star Trek 50th anniversary (and not trying to be morbid, just realistic as both men are in their early 80ies) ; it would be cool if maybe CBS would jump in and arrange something where the Dev do a time travel FE involving the Kirk and Spock of old - and they got them to agree to do some work, and could cross market/promote it as part of whatever will be done in various media for the Star Trek 50th anniversary media blitz I'm sure both Paramount and CBS will do in 2016; but again, barring something like taht, I don't think Cryptic would see the cost (if they did it alone) worth the possible returns.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • obelusdoomobelusdoom Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    mimey2 wrote: »
    I know it'd be a stretch, but I would prefer the Sisko to come and do some VO work. Nothing against Mr. Shatner. But the Sisko must play the game, he is...of STO.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind some old Romulan actors coming on and doing some more. I know there's Sela, but she is inherently a villain so far in the story.

I love all these ideas.

"It's a FAAAAKE!"

I know Vreenak is dead but no reason you couldn't use the same actor for another Romulan character. Maybe a relative?
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    obelusdoom wrote: »
    I love all these ideas.

"It's a FAAAAKE!"

I know Vreenak is dead but no reason you couldn't use the same actor for another Romulan character. Maybe a relative?

Doesn't mean a thing. I got two words:

Time travel.

That can justify anything. ;)
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Have you gone mad? To get Mr. William Shatner to do VO work. Cryptic wouldnt be able to give us any new content for 10 years. The game barley gets anything new as it is and cryptic is always complaining about money and where it could be used more efficent. Great idea, tho but to hire WS i, would cost a whole lot of zen.
  • badvaiobadvaio Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Just give bill a free account and a tier 5 constitution called USS Enterprise and he'll be happy with that.
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    hyefather wrote: »
    Have you gone mad? To get Mr. William Shatner to do VO work. Cryptic wouldnt be able to give us any new content for 10 years. The game barley gets anything new as it is and cryptic is always complaining about money and where it could be used more efficent. Great idea, tho but to hire WS i, would cost a whole lot of zen.

Cryptic/PWE's finances aren't that dire, but I agree.

Would you rather Cryptic shell out cash for the Shat to phone in a cameo, or hire another coder to hunt bugs?
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Sorry, but when it comes to VO's Shatner isn't even good, not these days.

Played Star Trek Legacy? Nuff Said.
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,536 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Honestly, I think there are enough Star Trek actors in STO already. There's a point where it becomes less of a novelty and more of a gimmick.

This whole game is one gigantic gimmick! I definitely support Shatner doing some voice work for STO.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • markjames1markjames1 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hi,

I know the chances of it happening are possibly not very good however, IMHO the talents of Mr. Shatner would be a wonderful addition to Star Trek Online. If it did my some miracle happen:

According to Memory Alpha:

"The entrance to the Nexus was a violent temporal energy ribbon which crossed through the galaxy every 39.1 years."

2371 (Star Trek: Generations) + 39.1 = 2410.1 (The current year in Star Trek Online).

How about an amazing mission involving the Nexus, and it's up to YOU and YOUR CREW to aid in the return of Captain James T. Kirk?

Just some food for thought.
    star-trek-london-captains_zps420d10b3.jpg

These Are The Voyages...
  • captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Rather than Kirk himself, we should remember he had a nephew, who must have one or more grandchildren somewhere.
  • derrico1derrico1 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    markjames1 wrote: »
    hi,

I Know The Chances Of It Happening Are Possibly Not Very Good However, Imho The Talents Of Mr. Shatner Would Be A Wonderful Addition To Star Trek Online. If It Did My Some Miracle Happen:

According To Memory Alpha:

"the Entrance To The Nexus Was A Violent Temporal Energy Ribbon Which Crossed Through The Galaxy Every 39.1 Years."

2371 (star Trek: Generations) + 39.1 = 2410.1 (the Current Year In Star Trek Online).

How About An Amazing Mission Involving The Nexus, And It's Up To You And Your Crew To Aid In The Return Of Captain James T. Kirk?

Just Some Food For Thought.

i Like This Idea Now This Would Be A Great Great Mission !!!!!
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    iirc, shatner hates sto.
    there was a twitter incident involving shatner and branflakes i believe...

I have not heard of this incident.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    I have not heard of this incident.

Shatner doesn't take any work through direct channels, won't even discuss it most of the time, and everything has to go through his Agent. As I recall, Bran tried to talk to him directly about VO work over Twitter, Shatner was non-commital, and Bran was insistent/pesky enough that Shatner blocked him. He blocks a lot of people, to be honest, and typically unblocks them after a day or so.