test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Vesta Help

chinook0010chinook0010 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
edited May 2014 in Federation Discussion
Hey everyone just bought a Vesta and Im looking for help on the kind of builds that are available for a sci captain with this kind of ship.

For the record its the science vesta.

Thanks for the input
Post edited by chinook0010 on

Comments

• Options
    coffeemikecoffeemike Member Posts: 942 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    How about a drain build? That's what my sci toon uses the tac Vesta but you can adapt it- she is a Liberated Borg with Disruptor Beams & Adv. Danube Runabouts.

What is your build? My main toon is a Joined Trill eng and is in my sig below... but it's an Antiproton beam build on the tac Vesta.

Can you put your build on http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/ please so we know what you are working with?

In general, I like to group abilities together with specific skill allocation points. So I have skills in Flow Capacitors, Particle Generatiors & Graviton Generations. Why? Energy siphon & plasmonic leech use Flow while Part Gen & Grav Gen are for Gravity Wells.

Also, your power levels help. You can do 100/50/25/25 as an example: 100 to Aux/50 to shields/25 to engines & weapons. Having special consoles and efficient bridge officers help throw in more power for your use. Rep & space also factor into this for sci skill damage...

Consider the following focus:
    1) Choose 2 to 3 specific science skills to match 1 or 2 high end sci abilities (Flow Caps & Part/Grav Gens for my Drain & GW as an example)
    2) Have plenty of shield & hull heals (Eng Team, Haz Em, EPtS, Sci Team, Tac Team)
    3) Your hanger pet should aid in either Healing or DPS or Crowd Control (I use Elite Obelisk swarmers for DPS on 1 toon, Adv. Danube Runabouts for CC for others)
    4) Have some tac abilities to match your focus (TacTeam1, BFAW2, Torp Spread 2 as a basic setup unless you use the Lt. Cmd BOFF slot for tac specifically - then adjust according to 1 & 2 above)
    5) Have at least 1 anti tractor beam ability (PH1 is fine, APO 1 f you use the Lt. Cmd BOFF slot for tac)

My Fed sci toon on the tac Vesta uses Tyken's Rift 3, Plasmonic Leech console to drain the enemy, then she throws down GW1 when avail along with torp spread 3 to blow them out of the water.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Ok, this helps, thanks.

Playstyle wise, what do you want to do? Its a bit all over the place. Do you want a GW build, a drain build, or a heal build? Once you fig it out, the rest should help guide you.

Skill wise, just use 6 points each. You don't have enough on Starship weapons projectile specialization... or captain/admiral skills.

Ditch the 2 field cap consoles in science... get 1 Shield Regen console, 2 Fleet Embassy Flow Cap consoles if you want a drain build that are MK XI or higher with the Hull Heal modifier[HuH]. Also try to get the Fleet Neutronium console MK XI or higher with [+TURN].

For the Cmd Sci skill, get rid of Viral Matrix and get Tyken's Rift 3. Switch out Tyken's Rift 1 for HE2, swtich HE1 for PH1 so you have some immunity to tractor beams.

For your tac skills, get some form of Torp Spread... 2 Tac Teams are ok but yeah... no need since you have torps.

Eng skills need some work since you chose the Lt. Cmd BOFF seat for ENG:
    DEM 3 is better on cannons: swap it out for Engineering Team 3 and switch out ET1 for EPtS1.

DOFFs... slot the Maintenance Engineer for the Batteries you need to carry: Shields and Weapons. It's that DOFF that's the Engineer Exocomp. Also Slot in Damage Control Engineer and Warp Core Engineer... one will reduce cooldown of all emergency powers like EPtS & EPtW and the other will add plus 10 power levels across all 4 subsystems when pressing an Emergency Power ability. Then get a Gravimetric Scientist doff for GW & Tyken's rift to round out the 5 DOFF slots.

I'd also invest in a Fleet Warp Core with [AMP]... I'd recommend the Obelisk Warp core but that's good for AP builds.

What Captain space skills do you have slotted currently? Any reputation space traits?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    This is my third toon so my reputation is TRIBBLE and so is my access to fleet gear (T0 fleet) :(
  • Options
    molaighmolaigh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I have to disagree on a bunch of that... Sci captain or no, you need substantial weapon power if you are going to be useful. Get it high and keep it high. You don't need the hull heal console, or the shield console if you have that many sci/eng Boff slots - get the plasma infused consoles to help your damage. Stacking damage control engineers so that you have nearly continuous up time on EPtS and EpTW is an excellent idea (I would go EPtW 2 and EPtS 1)

You might consider running the Lt cmdr as a sci (add some siphons) or a tac. EPtS, TSS (or sci team) with HE should get you through nearly anything in PvE.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    For sci and tac perhaps, as an Engineer I have access to EPS Manifold Efficiency for plus 10 power, Damage Control Engineer to trigger shorter cooldowns for Emergency Power abilities, Warp Core Engineers to get extra +25 to all subsystems.

Plus the Maintenance Engineer doff for my rechargeable battery, engineering captain skills, Red Matter Capacitor, plus special consoles for more subsystem powers and I really can do 50 weapons/25 shields/25 engines/100 aux.

Besides, I still don't know what he wants to do with his ship. I just gave options. Plasma is a cheaper route than AP weapons but he was using Tetryons so I assume he wants a drain build unless he states otherwise.

As for tanking... you need to. Its a science ship either way and plasma fire on low hull is a pain.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    ya im likely going with a tetryon/polaron drain build.

Also im pretty sure i need to respec some of my skills....
  • Options
    simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Here is my drain build. It is also heavy on DPS. In combat logs I usually out DPS most tacs. I have been usually hit 15k DPS in ISE. I don't use polaron weapons because of not having a aux powered weapons platform. So I use the aux cannons. Which is fine because it he main reason to drain power is to shut systems or make them ineffective. Phasers do this at the same proc chance. But it is the way I like to fly and that is ultimately what is important. What makes you want to come back and use your ship.

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=rychesvampvesta_0
    320x240.jpg
  • Options
    simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    molaigh wrote: »
    I have to disagree on a bunch of that... Sci captain or no, you need substantial weapon power if you are going to be useful. Get it high and keep it high. You don't need the hull heal console, or the shield console if you have that many sci/eng Boff slots - get the plasma infused consoles to help your damage. Stacking damage control engineers so that you have nearly continuous up time on EPtS and EpTW is an excellent idea (I would go EPtW 2 and EPtS 1)

You might consider running the Lt cmdr as a sci (add some siphons) or a tac. EPtS, TSS (or sci team) with HE should get you through nearly anything in PvE.

I would not run the damage control doffs myself, I would run deflector doffs with TR3 and ES2. The TR3 will do a AoE drain and ES2 will do a single target. Also with the deflector doffs can put both abilities on a global cooldown. It is like running two of each. Look at my build and the notes and the reason I run the things I do. I also looked at Coffeemike's build. It is solid. I prefer the aux cannons. The reason I prefer them is because of the drain I am able to do with ES2 and Plasmonic leech. This allows me to over cap my aux and weapons power the same way aux to battery cruisers do. Except my cannons base system space damage is near 2100 per cannons and a beam array is only 1200. If they made aux turret I would move from EPtW to EPtA to over cap the power even more.
    320x240.jpg