test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Oversight in the writing? spoilers inside

whycrypticwhycryptic Member Posts: 38 Arc User
At the end of Surface Tension, when the Iconian shows up, it warns us not to attract their attention again, as if defeating the Undine is what turned their heads.

Maybe I missed it, but didn't we already have their attention? They showed up at Iconia when we were looking around. The were directing Hakeev to run those tests in the Coliseum. They showed up to rescue/kidnap Sela. They prodded the Undine into attacking the Alpha Quadrant.

How did we not already have their attention?
Post edited by whycryptic on

Comments

• Options
    matth431matth431 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Maybe they weren't paying attention all the other times they were paying us attention? :P
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well... I get the feeling that the Iconian meant more than just noticing our existence. It sounded pissed..... I think it really meant that we shouldn't enger them enough that they'd want to kick our butts in person.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    oracion666oracion666 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I took it as them seeing more than just a few factions in the grand scheme of things. They have plans for the galaxy, and here you have some puny mortals trying to offset their plan, and it ticks them off.
    Formerly known as Echo@Rivyn13
    Member since early 2011

• Options
    causalityeffectcausalityeffect Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It is sloppy writing on the behalf of Cryptic trying to be too clever with their attempt to make the Iconians look dramatic.

Either the Iconians are so powerful that everything that has been done... has occured without their notice - Which makes it all look silly as some grand conspiracy / awesome plot

Or

The Iconians are so ineptly stupid they have randomly caused chaos then openly revealed themselves so that those groups can now rally together against a common foe.

Not to mention that the more you build up the Iconians, the more disappointing they will inevitably be because they cannot live up to the hype. No more than the Undine being so uniquely stupid they have had infiltrators in the major powers but somehow missed it was the Iconians manipulating them just like everyone else.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Iconians are basically the classic evil overlord type. We're going up through the list of henchmen one-by-one and now we're up to the point where get to see the overlord himself.

That was the scene where the overlord dismisses the heroes as weak, barely worth his attention, all their efforts futile and foreseen even as his very actions say they really weren't. Coupled with the casual killing of some people nobody cares about, least of all the plot and a threat of more if the heroes don't give up. Villains love to gloat and they always think they're more intimidating than they are.

And yes, it was kinda stupid but villains usually are. That way they can be ridiculously powerful yet still beatable in the end.
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    *emails the Iconians a copy of the "Evil Overlord List"*
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    *emails the Iconians a copy of the "Evil Overlord List"*
    I think it's too late for them. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    *points to signature* :D
    w8xekp.jpg
  • Options
    stonefyrestonefyre Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    In previous encounters, the Iconians were all "TL;DR. I'm gonna kick your puny TRIBBLE anyway. HA! Don't let me catch you talkin' smack again! What was I doin'?" :P