test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

All new frustration with movement

hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
I have wanted Three Dimensional space travel since the very first moment playing STO. I know I am not the only one who feels this way as well...

However, it would not be such an issue if there was nothing off the plane you were on that needed to be dealt with in missions. That would make sense... If you are going to treat this game as if it is more or less two dimensional then it follows that you should keep everything on one plane and stop making me do the death spiral up and down just to reach things.

There are already missions that fail hard at this particular issue that force you to go up and down when the game is HORRIBLE for doing that thanks to being STUCK at an angle.

Now there is a new violator. Now there is Viscous Cycle where you have to fly up to the stacks and down to the maw. Not only is this a pain in the rear to begin with but it is even more troubling when Fluidic Space is moving you all around and there are those danged Gravity Wells and Goo all over your ship. Then you need to ... Aim DOWN to shoot the Planet Killers inside the maw (with cannons at least). Fun thing to try and do considering that you CAN'T aim DOWN. You have to mess around to wedge yourself in at a proper angle which is a major headache.

Seriously... Either give us 3D movement or KEEP IT ON ONE PLANE! I mean I do not care if scenery goes above or below but anything I MUST interact with should NEVER be on anything but the same plane as me. It is just an added layer of frustration for nothing and makes it feel as if you cannot decide rather you want your game to be a real space simulator or a 2D sea going vessel simulator.

I also love the fact that we now have a rail shooter part of a mission. You are locked completely down to one line. At least in that case everything is kept right were it should be, directly infront of you. So I guess kudos for that at least. Honestly though that part would look awesome if you could do a real barrel roll while firing. Sort of have the Aquarius in the middle and do a spiraling loop around it firing your guns at everything in sight. That would be epic.
Post edited by hasukurobi on

Comments

• centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I would be happy with being able to go 90 degrees up or down. :(
  • iceeaglexiceeaglex Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yeah this is terrible. I was thinking about this while trying to shoot more than my rear turrets at the opened maw.

If you can't make a 3D game because of limits in the Engine, then don't make enemies that need a 3D game to shoot.
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yeah but that is not the worst problem. Imagine all of that, plus a lot of ships in the screen causing so much lag, that makes impossible to aim anything, move or realize whats going on. :D
  • kolbrandrkolbrandr Member Posts: 266
    edited April 2014
    I'm absolutely done with Viscous Cycle.

The positioning of the towers and the maw, added to the undine goo Grav wells basically lock you out of using cannon-equipped ships. Even in beam boats, just today I got goo welled over a tower in perfect position to block my line of sight on the maw. Then when the goo dispersed, splat! Another one.

Basically my best bet was to park myself over the maw and FAW everything to draw aggro, hoping a teammate could beam over commandos in the few moments they aren't held stationary.

I would seriously rather be one of the commandos, because the space play is frustrating and boring.
  • ayradyssayradyss Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    iceeaglex wrote: »
    If you can't make a 3D game because of limits in the Engine, then don't make enemies that need a 3D game to shoot.

This topic has been around since Beta. FWIW, it's nothing to do with 'limits in the Engine' -- just limits imposed by the devs' design philosophy.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • neospectrum77neospectrum77 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    In fact, the Y ascent/descent angle used to be smaller
    @Sloan_S31 01/2010
  • angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ayradyss wrote: »
    This topic has been around since Beta. FWIW, it's nothing to do with 'limits in the Engine' -- just limits imposed by the devs' design philosophy.

I don't understand what "philosophy" would lead to limiting the game in such a way. Someone once said around here that the limit was to prevent disorienting players. I don't understand this either. I watched a documentary many years ago that, based on testing, the vast majority of people can learn an intuitive sense of 3D spatial awareness in a very short time(i.e. 30 minutes). I have also played a ton of games that were full 3d movement and experienced no issues with getting "lost". Anyone ever play "Elite"?(yes, I'm old)

So, I as many, have to ask the question, why is vertical movement limited?

@OP I have never tried viscous cycle because of the reasons you stated it is frustrating and agree with the statement "either single plane interactions or full 3D movement"
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's less of orientation and more to do with motion sickness. Not everyone can play Descent.
  • angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's less of orientation and more to do with motion sickness. Not everyone can play Descent.

Isn't there a large percentage of the worlds population that will never experience motion sickness?
  • aduinfinrod1aduinfinrod1 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    A lot of game are 3D full-based in very, very enormous sector area (see X Series, if u want ... 3,000 km radius the smaller sector and over 11,000 km radius in the biggest sector in X3:Terran Conflict). The last not-so-good-released-but-incredibly-well patched X:Rebirth is a total 3D space-based game. It HAD (not HAS) a lot of technical problem, worst skin ever seen and similar, but the sectors are ... WOW!This is the only thing u can tell when u see it ;-)

There is no reason to NOT create a real, full 3D game for STO.
    The only thing u can obtain, is that it will result a lot more immersive ... more space-like.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I wanna do a barrel roll.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Completely agree on what the OP's talking about here. If they designed the game and it has 'engine limitations' that forces the players to fly up or down in a spiral at an angle - then they could at least be curteous and design encounters (this goes especially to STFs and end-game content) that revolve more or less on the same plain with the player ship or at least between the contents of the encounter (NPC ships, rifts, Undine towers, whatever).
    The way it is now, it's very tedious and annoying due to our limited movement (especially for the slower larger ships) and it's not the making of a good, fun and enjoyable gameplay.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kolbrandr wrote: »

The positioning of the towers and the maw, added to the undine goo Grav wells basically lock you out of using cannon-equipped ships. Even in beam boats, just today I got goo welled over a tower in perfect position to block my line of sight on the maw. Then when the goo dispersed, splat! Another one.

Basically my best bet was to park myself over the maw and FAW everything to draw aggro, hoping a teammate could beam over commandos in the few moments they aren't held stationary.

I would seriously rather be one of the commandos, because the space play is frustrating and boring.

Ok, so i must be superman. I dont have any problem at all trying to move my ship down and to aim under my knees. Thats part of the game and part of a 3d space fighting game. You guys need to live with it , seriously. Maybe you guys want a special weapon placed in the belly of your ship??? to shot directly down? or something like that? lol.

The only problem of VC is the lag. Thats it. The fuk1 lag when there are 20+ players in the screen plus all the undine and voth ships. If i dont have lag, i dont have any problem at all on maneouvering and shoting where i want to. But the problem is, the engine is so cheap that it will not handle more than 20-30 ships at the same time with all those bubles around (the bubbles seem to consume a lot of GPU processing looooooool).
  • kolbrandrkolbrandr Member Posts: 266
    edited April 2014
    Thats part of the game and part of a 3d space fighting game. You guys need to live with it , seriously.

No, it is bad game design. Arbitrarily limit up and down movement, then require up and down movement to complete objectives?

...and no, we don't need to live with it. We can just choose not to play it. Judging by the queue numbers, there are a lot of people choosing to not play it.
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    As stated, yes, the 'engine won't support up/down/past 75 degree up/down movement' is a complete utter and total lie.

Champions Online allows you to fly straight up, down, and every other angle in-between.

So the engine allows it. Cryptic does not (because confusion?).
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I quite agree, sometimes you follow an arrow only to find that the thing you are aiming for is high above or below your current level, though hotspot markers arnt always that accurate sometimes either, I have noticed this a lot on the deferi missions lately.
    I have also noticed sometimes when there is say a three enemy and a single enemy on the same map you go say after the three enemy and once you have delt with them the solo enemy is nowhere in site, probably hiding in a corner or something.
    bugs aye we would miss them if they all went away. :)

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Agree, this is a weird design decision. Design an element of gameplay that makes using the steering system as intended a pain in the TRIBBLE. Great!
  • talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yeah.....I did Viscous Cycle twice, once on my Sci in a Wells torpedo boat so I was the one going around beaming commandos and opening maws, then I tried it on my Tac in an Odyssey DBB build and it was HORRID. Never doing that one again unless something is changed, I can only imagine how much more horrid it must be for anyone with a DHC build.

Food for thought: Doesn't Champions Online use the same engine? I remember reading that somewhere. And doesn't CO have unrestricted vertical movement?
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    angrybobh wrote: »
    I don't understand what "philosophy" would lead to limiting the game in such a way. Someone once said around here that the limit was to prevent disorienting players. I don't understand this either. I watched a documentary many years ago that, based on testing, the vast majority of people can learn an intuitive sense of 3D spatial awareness in a very short time(i.e. 30 minutes). I have also played a ton of games that were full 3d movement and experienced no issues with getting "lost". Anyone ever play "Elite"?(yes, I'm old)

So, I as many, have to ask the question, why is vertical movement limited?

@OP I have never tried viscous cycle because of the reasons you stated it is frustrating and agree with the statement "either single plane interactions or full 3D movement"

Because the show doesn't use full 3D either. They want it to look like the show. I still think we should have a steeper angle.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I agree with the thread, the environment in there makes a scimitar with cannons almost impossible to use. Every full stop takes around 20m or more.
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    iceeaglex wrote: »
    Yeah this is terrible. I was thinking about this while trying to shoot more than my rear turrets at the opened maw.

It is not an engine issue from what I understand.
    kolbrandr wrote: »

I hear you brotha. It seems enemies just get more annoying and obnoxious... First there is the Tholians with their webs (which is understandable because that is what they do) and their super subsystem shutdown ability. Then here comes the Voth who have super shielding, decoy ships, gravity wells, subspace snares, and little ships that come and bring them back to life. Those seemed like the most annoying yet but they were kind of different so I begrudgingly gave them a little pass... Then come the new Undine who pop in and out all over the place making it so you NEED to be able to spin around on a dime a LOT but they hit you RELENTLESSLY with goo that slows you down and goo blobs that hold you tight for minutes on end in ways not even the best Gravity Well could EVER hope to. If that was not fun enough they also knock you around with their normal fire and have really big explosions for their torps (which do not even hurt all that much) just to add more clutter to the already clogged screen. Easily they have become the most frustrating and annoying enemy yet. Not the hardest, not the smartest, not the most strategically difficult, just the most annoying.

Ok, so i must be superman. I dont have any problem at all trying to move my ship down and to aim under my knees. Thats part of the game and part of a 3d space fighting game. You guys need to live with it , seriously. Maybe you guys want a special weapon placed in the belly of your ship??? to shot directly down? or something like that? lol.

Well good for you... Try it in something slower than a Bug Ship and we will see. A real 3D space fighting game would let you fly in 3 Dimensions like you could in... Space. Also I do not want weapons that fire down like that. I already have those but they are not the right weapons for every ship and I do not see a good reason to widen the firing cone on all weapons... Except that anyone who was smart would make all space weapons Turrets if they could. I would even be totally fine with the ability to just ascend and descend with keys. That is: Not aim my nose up and down but literally move my ship straight up and down as if on an elevator.

Because the show doesn't use full 3D either. They want it to look like the show. I still think we should have a steeper angle.

Usually but there have been numerous occasions where even the show DID have real 3D movement.

Also another annoyance with this mission: Heavy Torps do not seem to be able to each any part of the exposed Planet Killer to detonate on it. That seems to be a problem with a lot of large targets that should be addressed.