test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fitting out a Fleet Norgh BoP

hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
edited May 2014 in Klingon Discussion
Me again. I've been waiting until after the Season 9 changes (to Rep, flanking, etc) hit before replacing the placeholder gear I have in my Fleet Norgh Retrofit. But now I find myself unsure of exactly what to get.

The character in question is already T5 Omega, so anything from that store is accessible. What's best for a BoP, though - KHG, Omega, or Fleet gear? Or something else entirely?

(As I said in previous thread(s): I'm a PvE player who PvPs only very rarely - the elite STFs are about the highest challenge I'll be facing. But I'd still like to have a "decent", "competent" build so as not to embarrass myself.)
Post edited by hfmudd on

Comments

• zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well for a BOP I would go for the Omega set as the shield has a much better return on it than the assimilated one, plus the turn and speed boots are a nice thing to have on a raider. As for weapons go for fleet elite if you have access to them.
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    What about the regular KHG set? I know/hear it's designed for carriers as much as anything, but this character's an Engy... is it a mistake to focus on all the little bonuses here and there over the Big Spike Damage (that, as a non-Tac, he might not get anyway)?
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    what you put on it may depend on what you do with it.....

What science are you planning to use, and do you require one of the deflectors to support it? If so, that may govern your choices.

By default, any piece of gear or set that is not for a specific build goal should go toward durability first and dps second. One of my setups, for example, just uses the toughest fleet shield an my deflector is a purple with shield and hull hit points boosted by 25 each or something. Another setup makes uber GWs and uses a gw enhancing deflector (I forget which, maybe reman or romulan?).

Any set that provides high durability is worth using. Most of the omega rep gear is quite good for this goal....

So for me the 3 things to resolve would be which set bonuses (if any) you want, which shield you plan to use, and what deflector/science support you want.

For damage I have cannons. I went with AP an use either 3 DHC and a torp or 4 dhc, back is always cutting beam and omni beam. I dunno about any spike damage, I mostly scatter fire at groups and rapid at singles. TS is a bit of a spike if I have the torp on.
    edited April 2014
    Right, here's my current setup:

Tac Team 1, Torp Spread 2, Torp HY 3, Cannon RF 3
    EptW 1, Aux2SIF 1, RSP 2
    Tac Team 1, APB 1, APO 1
    HazE 1, ESiphon 1 (Nausicaan, it felt thematic)

Disruptor cannons and photons fore and aft - dual heavy, dual, dual, torp; turret, torp.
    My current weps, consoles etc are all blue XI placeholders except for a lucky drop - purple XII shield, [Pla] [Reg]x2 .
  • alopenalopen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    hfmudd wrote: »
    Right, here's my current setup:

Tac Team 1, Torp Spread 2, Torp HY 3, Cannon RF 3
    EptW 1, Aux2SIF 1, RSP 2
    Tac Team 1, APB 1, APO 1
    HazE 1, ESiphon 1 (Nausicaan, it felt thematic)

Disruptor cannons and photons fore and aft - dual heavy, dual, dual, torp; turret, torp.
    My current weps, consoles etc are all blue XI placeholders except for a lucky drop - purple XII shield, [Pla] [Reg]x2 .

swap crf3, apb1 and apo1 for apo3 + apb2 + crf1 OR apo3 + crf1 + crf2

CRF3 with only 2 dhcs and 2 turrets is a waste when bo and ts are your real alphas. It would be better to boost them with apo3. Besides, apo3 will get you out of gw holds in pvp where apo1 will not. Because of LoR there are some seriously buffed up GW spam out there and unlike rommies you cannot just dump a singularity and get out of them.

Either alpha properly or use 3 dhcs + bo OR torp (I prefer HY on a brel, personally) with flanking I've hit npcs for 30k+ with a HY plasma torp without a crit. And that was mark XI trash torp I was fooling around with.

Also, if your going to use torps at all consider khg 2 piece + elite fleet shields. Otherwise borg 2 piece + elite fleet shields. Not a fan, of omega set on a bop (I do love it on my battlecruisers though). Bops out turn just about everything without even trying, no need to waste time with the omega shield, the placate on the khg shield is much better.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    OP what is your captain profession, and have you bought the Vandal Destroyer to unlock Plasmonic Leach?
  • kolbrandrkolbrandr Member Posts: 266
    edited April 2014
    For PvE you are going to get a lot more done with Scatter Volley than you will with Rapid Fire.

I would loadout my commander slot with a tactical BOff like so:

TT1, APB1, TS3, CSV3

You can then use one of the LtC's for sci, and get GW1 which is hugely useful in PvE.

The remaining LtC and Lt can be Eng to set up an aux2bat setup if you have the technician DOffs.

This will carry you very well in PvE. For PvP you will probably want an entirely different BOff setup.
    edited April 2014
    Captain is an Engy, a Nausicaan pirate. I've not bought the Vandal, at least not yet.

kolbrandr: I worry about spreading my damage too wide (with a side of attracting All The Aggro). CRF at least feels more focused to me (that also to alopen, and what's "bo"? Beam Overload? No beams on this boat...).

"GS1" in sci - do you mean Photonic Shockwave, or Gravity Well?

I am currently leaning to the KHG 2-piece, maybe 3 but probably not. The rest may well be fleet pieces, or assimilated... weps are most likely all going to be fleet elites. (patrickngo, your suggestions have much appeal.)
    edited April 2014
    Sorry I meant GW1. On mobile, and the two letters are near to eachother. Also I don't see that I mentioned beam overload anywhere...

Don't worry about drawing aggro from SV and TS. Moat of what you hit won't last long enough for it to matter. The problem with CRF is that you can only really be effective against one target at a time. Look at Khitomer elite. With CSV and TS you can annihilate an entire flight of probes in one shot, and return to what you're doing. In azure nebula rescue you can assault entire tholian squads and free the smaller ships quickly single handed.

It sucks with CRF to basically annihilate one or two targets, then be stuck with your slow DHC fire rate against the rest of the group until CRF comes up again. Just in case you hadn't noticed, PVE is leaning more and more heavily on enemy and pet spam these days.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Engy needs to rely on weapon power to kill. You dont have any abilities that will increase damage, so you have to rely exclusively on buffing damage through weapon power increase. You will also want to emphasize decloak flanking strikes to exploit the damage boosts. So stealth around behind the target(s), hit your buffs, and then pop out firing, providing fire support on target basically.

CSV and torp spread is the most useful combination in PVE. CRF is much better for cutting a single target. BO is a good fit for engi since you can off-set the -50 power drain with Nadeon and/or EPS ability, but its hard to chain them so it doesnt matter really. Gravwell is good for clustering stuff together, and is very good precursor to CSV/TS combination buts its really expensive on a BOP with the limited BOFF stations, and will be nearly useless in PVP except for clearing pets and spam (which your CSV/TS will do just as well). Tractor beam is always useful. Jam Sensors will help you to escape a bad situation reliably. Photonic shockwave will clear all the spam around you and stun somebody who has you in a lock (if you're that close to them).

Elite Fleet Disruptors are the best weapons in the game. Torp is up to you, if you use one. The gravimetric is very useful overall (OP really) since their secondary AOE damage works very well with gravwell/CSV combo, and the little gravity wells also have utility effects like grabbing mines or pulling ships out of cloak.

Defense score is important for a BOP, so as not to get hit as much. Its hard to exploit in PVE with slow targets, but is crucial with a BOP in PVP. It doesnt help you kill anything, but when things go wrong it will be everything.

KHG set is really for science ships. Look at the deflector, all of the skill boosts are for sci. Also the shield has a very high cap, and you need a ship with a large shield modifier to keep it charged up. You dont regen shileds while cloaked, and BOPs have the lowest shield modifier so they are not able to regen high-cap shields even in the open. Basically its the worst combination--unrealized capacity does not do anything for you, so there is no reason to pay for it.

If you dont have plasmonic, then you should be looking at the Adapted KHG [MACO] shield for the power boosts, although its not as important for you. Either that or a Elite Fleet Res-B shield.

The MACO deflector is also the best for survivability, with a lot of boosts to hull and shield strength, and if you use it with the shield you will get the 2-pc bonus that reduces all cooldowns by 5% (even weapon firing cycles are reduced). The Borg deflector is also very good for survivability.

Thrusters are not significant--most of them do things like buff turn-rate, or buff subsystem power, neither of which you need. I use the MACO on my BOPs for the 3-pc bonus Graviton Beam which comes in handy as a wildcard ability sometimes. The Reman thruster will boost your defense skill and should net you an additional 4% defense (didnt do the long-form math). The Aegis thruster has a flat 5% buff to defense which will make you a little harder to hit, and its hyper-impulse so you will have good top-end speed when your engi dumps a lot of power to engines.
    edited April 2014
    I use the KHG 3-piece in PvP for the Mask ability. It provides a nice defense bonus to help keep me alive until I can escape. :)
    edited May 2014
    So, update.

After all of that, I decided to go (for now, at least) with the plain ol' Assimilated (Borg) set. Currently rocking 3/3 of that, as they all give me nice things. On top of that, I have the Dyson console and gravtorp (front), a full set of Fleet Elite disruptors (1x DHC and 2x DC front, turret and another photon rear), the Enhanced Induction Coils off one of the other BoPs that they gave out for free a while back, and the Undine Multi-Conduit Energy Relay console that's a mission reward from "Surface Tension". Still working on replacing the last few blue-quality consoles and warp core with fleet gear, but it's looking good so far.

Thanks again to all who offered suggestions and information.

EDIT: And now I've gone and taken advantage of the ship sale weekend, and picked up a Vandal for its Plasmonic Leech.
  • catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited May 2014
    You can also get a nice defense buff with a 2 piece Undine rep set (which probably means warp core + something since therr arent many sets with a warp core).

I happen to like the Undine deflector (+acc and lots of damage buffs), but it isnt for drain builds.

I use the KHG impulse engine & shields since i slot both the gravimetric and enhanced biomolecular torpedos (2 of the most OP torpedos in the game).

I use BO for the EWO DOFFs that give penetration after a BO strike. The experimental proton gun will trigger BO as well as work with BFAW, CSV, and CRF. Unless i run AP and the 360 array, i always use the dyson proton weapon now because it will do everything i want for a gunboat. Plus, all my photon torpedos get massive buffs via the full dyson weapon set :)
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)