test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Should all the Foundry Missions be Set to withdrawn?

i8472i8472 Member Posts: 225 Arc User
If the missions on Earth Space Dock are going to require manual republish anyway,

I think it might be best to set all foundry missions to Withdraw.

It'll avoid people finding "broken" missions.

or is there some other plan to get the missions to work on ESD?

please don't take this the wrong way. not complaining... it's intended to offer a solution to current situation.

any thoughts, or is this unnecessary
Post edited by i8472 on

Comments

• Options
    borrowedtuneborrowedtune Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Just be happy reviews are turned off atm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited April 2014
    I think it would be too broad a measure for a small (but not insignificant) problem. It would have the effect of losing missions whose authors have left the game, possibly forever, whether they start at ESD or not.

Sometimes this happens anyway. Last time a significant number of missions did not autorepublish (including some of mine), and I know of at least one author who didn't play much any more and had no idea his missions weren't up anymore. But we shouldn't encourage Cryptic to do anything to exacerbate this problem. I'd rather have "retired" author's missions stay up as long as possible.

We have had to endure people finding broken missions many times before. Honestly I don't think there is no reason to panic. If you are still around the Foundry, you can easily do a manual republish. Authors that are unaware of the problem but are still around the game will become aware of what they need to do. Heck I have a mission that's unplayable right now as far as I know because it is set to a different door that didn't seem to be even on the map anywhere. I reported this but I don't know if it got fixed. I'm not worried. Gonna select a different door when editing comes back. If anyone gets a hold of me saying they can't start, I'll tell them what's going on and request they play again later.

TL;DR: it'll put the hammer to missions that aren't affected. It is an issue, but it needs a scalpel, not a hammer.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I second everything Drogyn said.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I wonder if it'd be possible to just have the ones that use Earth Space dock withdrawn?

rest of the start locations should be fine though. so far only completed 1 foundry mission since S9 and it's start location is not anywhere near ESD.

tried approx 15 on ESD yesterday. only was able to find the Npc contact for one of them, then since it went to the wall console that was outside the transporter on other ESD it couldn't progress.
  • Options
    isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Just be happy reviews are turned off atm.

And when they're re-activated but a bunch of authors not on these forums now have broken missions?
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    And when they're re-activated but a bunch of authors not on these forums now have broken missions?

And the people who don't pay attention to the forums/aren't around anymore who's missions would never come back? Not to mention that it would cause everyone who is paying attention to try and republish their mission as soon as the editor comes back up simultaneously.

Setting that aside though, the whole point of this interim period is for us to get in and test our missions for bugs. How can we do that if all missions are withdrawn.

I realize that this is inconvenience for those few who have their missions on ESD, but making a sweeping change like that would just cause a whole lot more problems than the few it solves.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    And the people who don't pay attention to the forums/aren't around anymore who's missions would never come back? Not to mention that it would cause everyone who is paying attention to try and republish their mission as soon as the editor comes back up simultaneously.

Setting that aside though, the whole point of this interim period is for us to get in and test our missions for bugs. How can we do that if all missions are withdrawn.

I realize that this is inconvenience for those few who have their missions on ESD, but making a sweeping change like that would just cause a whole lot more problems than the few it solves.

so let's get this straight....

IF they are unable to get the missions on Earth Space dock to function without a manual republish you would want them to leave the thousands of "broken" missions up?

so months down the road some new person goes and finds 1 of the broken missions and like ah it so broken why this here.

But any way let's wait to Tuesday and see what happens.

my suggestion about setting the missions to withdrawn... was for if the only way to get them to work was manually republishing them.

I would rather have working Foundry missions than 1000s of broken ones hiding the ones that work.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    i8472 wrote: »
    so let's get this straight....

IF they are unable to get the missions on Earth Space dock to function without a manual republish you would want them to leave the thousands of "broken" missions up?

so months down the road some new person goes and finds 1 of the broken missions and like ah it so broken why this here.

But any way let's wait to Tuesday and see what happens.

my suggestion about setting the missions to withdrawn... was for if the only way to get them to work was manually republishing them.

I would rather have working Foundry missions than 1000s of broken ones hiding the ones that work.
    Here's a question: what percentage of foundry missions have "door" in ESD? Only SOME of those missions are affected, the rest of the Foundry database is not.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Here's a question: what percentage of foundry missions have "door" in ESD? Only SOME of those missions are affected, the rest of the Foundry database is not.

Um no clue. a bunch anyway. at least 2 spot lighted ones.

but I think if manual republish is required for "fixing" Missions that use Earth Space Dock, having them withdrawn is better than leaving them up.

Oh noticed really nice feature with the search function, it's possible to search for start locations...
  • Options
    wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It is? Great! Now, that really is an improvement, thanks very much Cryptic.

Never actually counted but I have this long list of Foundry missions that sound good that I might play some time. I recently went through and made a note of where each one of them starts, so I could tell which of them were handy for where I was at any time I felt like playing a Foundry mission (and now I needn't have done that - that's how handy the new search feature is!). At least half started on ESD, mostly for no good reason so I assume at the usual console outside the transporter room.

Isn't it possible for Cryptic just to map that console onto some other door in the new ESD, so that the engine will treat all references to that console as being to the new object? That would solve the problem and save a lot of good missions whose authors aren't around the game any longer.
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited April 2014
    wombat140 wrote: »
    Isn't it possible for Cryptic just to map that console onto some other door in the new ESD, so that the engine will treat all references to that console as being to the new object? That would solve the problem and save a lot of good missions whose authors aren't around the game any longer.

They did. It isn't exactly working right. Taco said it will require a manual republish once editing comes back up. Frost said they're doing another round of autorepublish to see if that'll fix it so we don't have to. Let's wait for that to finish and see where we are.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    My missions are affected. I always use ESD as a starting point, it's easier for the player, and quite logical (you are doing whatever you do, then you are called back, and given your mission). After receiving your orders or whatever, you use one of the closed door, take the turbolift to your ship, and travel to destination. Obviously, there is a time elapse and you find just yourself wherever the mission is. That way I can use systems that are not on the map, and the player will begin and find him(her)self back on ESD afterward, which is a very convenient place.

However, just to be on the safe side, I removed my missions the day before the patch. I'll republish them when I will be able to do so, but first I'll edit them to change the ESD door hook and indication on where to go as needed. I will also make a much needed and unrelated polish on them, to make them better, according to reviews or personal opinion.
    skollulfr wrote: »
    the number of missions that started at the panel outside the transporter room was disproportionate at least.
    significantly more than those that required a door.
    To be honest, one of my mission used this infamous panel. It was difficult to find a computer panel in ESD, so I used that one.
    And it is not a grind mission.

However, now that I look back, it was unnecessary, and when I'll republish my mission, I will remove that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]