test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Doff Advice

greycobaltgreycobalt Member Posts: 18 Arc User
edited April 2014 in The Academy
I'm back after several months of little-to-no playing, and I haven't been able to find threads or wikis with up to date information.

I have a full roster of Duty Officers, and I've pruned them all down to green quality or above (besides the colonists). I have several packs I've received from various rewards, and a few of them are blue and purple quality. I'm trying to figure out if there's any special way to decide which green Doffs to get rid of.

I'm not Klingon, so there's no purposeful deaths. I've read that grinding them into higher-quality Doffs was nerfed to the point of unworthiness. I'm not versed enough into the whole system to know which ones have valuable qualities, what makes a good one or a bad one, or any other variables for them.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!
Post edited by greycobalt on

Comments

• deianirrahdeianirrah Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Apart from the obvious, 'have at least one or two of each profession remaining if You want to do DOff missions' - I'd visit the Exchange and Search for the DOff name in the specific subsection. The value other players put onto them might be a useful hint, some DOffs from (lockbox-)reinforcement packs may be even valuable when they are only uncommon.
    And yes, You can upgrade several DOffs of lower rarity into one of a higher rarity level - but it costs Dilithium as well so it is usually more effective to try and get just more DOffs - or to downgrade them to common and put them into Fleet projects.

Taskforce 47 Falkenwacht (Federation) / Greifenreiter (KDF)
    (at) deianirrah
    Free Gear and where to get it
  • artfulmerkageartfulmerkage Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    greycobalt wrote: »
    I'm back after several months of little-to-no playing, and I haven't been able to find threads or wikis with up to date information.

I have a full roster of Duty Officers, and I've pruned them all down to green quality or above (besides the colonists). I have several packs I've received from various rewards, and a few of them are blue and purple quality. I'm trying to figure out if there's any special way to decide which green Doffs to get rid of.

I'm not Klingon, so there's no purposeful deaths. I've read that grinding them into higher-quality Doffs was nerfed to the point of unworthiness. I'm not versed enough into the whole system to know which ones have valuable qualities, what makes a good one or a bad one, or any other variables for them.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

There are no hard and fast rules. I exchange off or degrind (prune) all of my greens and blues into whites.

Only purple and white are really useful to you, whites can be contributed to Starbase holdings, and purples are for slotting and running assignments with.

If you wish to know how to improve a roster, message me ingame: @Merkage
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Valdus | Charn | Costello | Typhus | Thyran
  • greycobaltgreycobalt Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the tips. On the topic of slotting them, is that personal preference as well? Is there anything that's far-and-away a better one to have slotted than any regular one? I'm clueless. ;)
  • deianirrahdeianirrah Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Active Duty Ground and Space DOffs - have such a heavy influence on Your actual build that I actually consider them to be my starting point when I want to try something new with a character. F.e., having Marion Frances Dulmur available did bring me to try out an all Beam Array Aux2Bat-Cruiser with an emphasis on Direct Energy Modulation, very rare Technicians (for Aux2Bat) and such. I still enjoy flying that cruiser from time to time.

This (not completely up-to-date) list with DOff abilities may help You to see which different versions of DOffs are currently available and which ones You may have.

If You were referring to DOff missions and which ones to keep for these - it can only be a personal decision. As I did reach Rank 4 in most or all areas on my characters already, I usually try to do DOff missions that yield Dilithium in addition to those that may buff my skills a bit. Very Rare DOffs with the particular skills needed for these missions are much more useful for a critical success than those of the specific profession (even with suitable skills) as these mostly increase the overall success chance instead of the critical chance.

Taskforce 47 Falkenwacht (Federation) / Greifenreiter (KDF)
    (at) deianirrah
    Free Gear and where to get it
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm trying to figure out if there's any special way to decide which green Doffs to get rid of.

In the long run it's worth getting rid of every one of your green or white doffs, unless you're keeping them for suicide doff missions (Asylums, Officer Exchange, executions etc...).

Their proc chances aren't good enough to be used effectively on active duty, and the payout from doff assignments will be noticably lower than when you're using blue or purple doffs.

I'd just sell them off, or as someone else has mentioned, grind them into whites and sell them. If you want to stock up on rare doffs from the exchange, now is a good time to do it. The market is flooded with doffs from the mini- and reinforcement- packs from the latest lockbox, which is driving down prices.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Here's some "non-optimal" thoughts:

1. Greens are, "ok", for just running DOff missions. My KDF Sci has a roster that's 50% green, and she's slowly climbing the commendation ranks. Would being all purple give me higher crit rates and payouts, of course. Is the game capable of playing "passibly" without the massive payouts? Yeah.

2. There are the officer exchange mission in Cardie space (Beta Ursae, Zeta Andromeda, Alpha Triaguli, attached nebulas) that will accept any DOff and kick back a Cardie / Paradan / Dosi / Wadi / other Gamma Quadrant race. Yeah, your roster beings to look quite a bit funky, but hey, purples are purples...

3. As others have mentioned, glut-shop up a bunch of purples...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • realisticaltyrealisticalty Member Posts: 851 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Ok so:

1 - whats the easiest way to target those missions that payout the most Dili or do you just look at your current assignment list and pick them out one by one, or do you pick through a list on the wiki and find the area where most of them are most likely to be offered?

2. Selecting Doffs for an Assignment - am I mistaken or do the department heads tend to recommend based on success rather than critical (or am I misreading that.)

Is there something to be said for always keeping your assignment bank full even if they're not all optimized for crits/success/skills, etc., you at least get a constant flow of results.

Wow, after reading all these posts I see most people suggest dumping whites, well that makes decisions for fleet projects easier, I was wondering which were "safe" to give up, I guess the rule is, dump em all into fleet projects (except colonists) and replace em with blue/purple if you're short.
  • blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Ok so:

1 - whats the easiest way to target those missions that payout the most Dili or do you just look at your current assignment list and pick them out one by one, or do you pick through a list on the wiki and find the area where most of them are most likely to be offered?

2. Selecting Doffs for an Assignment - am I mistaken or do the department heads tend to recommend based on success rather than critical (or am I misreading that.)

Is there something to be said for always keeping your assignment bank full even if they're not all optimized for crits/success/skills, etc., you at least get a constant flow of results.

Wow, after reading all these posts I see most people suggest dumping whites, well that makes decisions for fleet projects easier, I was wondering which were "safe" to give up, I guess the rule is, dump em all into fleet projects (except colonists) and replace em with blue/purple if you're short.

1. This post: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=914161 is a great introduction to bit.ly/doffs, The DoffTrekker is a great way to understand the chains and the high-crit useful assignments. For the most part, if the mission is tracked in some way, there is a high payout of something.

2. You are correct - department heads almost never recommend the best doffs for the assignment. If possible, try to get the failure rate to 0, then go for any and all crit traits, excluding the success requirements.

As an example, Fed colony support asks for 5 Advisor/Diplomat (success) with tactful, efficient, peaceful, twork (crit), no aggressive, unruly (disaster)

If you slot 5 advisor/diplomats with no aggressive or unruly, with 2 or more crit traits each, your crit chance will be significantly less than if you slot 1 advisor/diplomat with 2 traits, and then 4 dual-crit-trait purples of any other profession. I don't recall exactly, but I think all purple advisors with 2 crit traits each is somewhere in the 28-29% crit chance, while a purple advisor with 2 crit traits and 4 purple doctors with 2 crit traits will be 33%.

Hope that helps

Aliella Hawklight, Divine Oracle Devoted Cleric
    "Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

DaiMon Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
    Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    There are no hard and fast rules.

Actually, for a good hard and fast rule... For a given mission with a listed profession/trait, a DOff of a given profession one quality step higher is pretty much equivalent to the lower step DOff profession with one of the trait listed. So if the mission recommendations are an efficient technician, a purple technician without efficency is pretty much the same as a blue tech with it. Considering that most assignments have at most three recommend traits, for a white to be comparable success wise as a purple they would have to have all three of the traits. Also a Doff on *any* profession one step quality higher is pretty much equivalent to a lower step DOff of a profession recommended for the mission. So that mission with an efficient technician - a purple non-technician success rate is pretty comparable to a blue technician.
    If you're going to DOff for Dil, the best payout would be contraband. KDF and allies have an advantage at this with a side benefit of prisoners that also can supplement Dil. Maximizing you're criticals would be the next thing to look at because most mission rewards are pretty much the same. There are a few missions here and there that offer a bit more than standard like the resolved traited ones that came with the Bajoran space revamp and I'm also partial to turning in data samples, all of which can best be found from your bridge/department heads or possibly your fleet starbase.
    2. You are correct - department heads almost never recommend the best doffs for the assignment. If possible, try to get the failure rate to 0, then go for any and all crit traits, excluding the success requirements.

At the point you get to a failure rate of 9ish %, try to fill the assignment with high quality, crit only DOffs. The high quality traits will increase the critical chance while only moderately affecting the success as to not take away from the crit and still give you near zero failures. The best examples I can think of right now typically only uses one DOff though: The buff assignments that affect your skills. If the assignment requires an efficient technician, you're much better off using a non-technician with efficient than you are slotting a technician of any quality.

EDIT: Another good example: Commendation Reports. The last DOff you want to assign to it is the one that increases success!
    edited April 2014
    Ok but that leaves one remaining issue for me.

Except for a few special assignments such as commendation reports, fleet mining dailies, or a few others that I choose to spend a lot of time at, for the rest of the general mass of assignments, how bad would it be if I just picked dept head reqs -iff- my Doff roster is blue and purple populated or even just purple populated? It does take some time to seek out the optimal doff for an assignment, and I'm wondering if all in all it would be "good enough" for all but my few rare favorites to just click click click the reqs for speed among a rare/very rare population as compared to specifically singling out the optinal doffs for each and every mission.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Play a lot of Doff missions with my Fed and KDF toons. My Fed currently has around 272 Doff and a total of 400 Doff slots. My KDF toon has around 185 Doffs and a total of 200 Doff slots.

I review my Doff about every 2 or 3 days (especially KDF due to only 200 slots for now). In general it is good to have several Doffs with varying traits. However, the more missions you do the more familiar you will eventually become with what traits benefits you and what do not for those specific missions. For example, my Fed toon has a blue Suliban Research Lab Doff (forgot the exact title), however, I do not really use him for scientific Doff missions because he has the Unscrupulous and another trait that I cannot remember and those traits always have a negative impact on the scientific missions I want to do. I sold a similar Doff on the Exchange a couple of days ago and this one is going to be sold off this weekend.

Based on the above it is difficult to actually tell you which Doffs you should keep and which you should get rid of because it depends on the Doff missions you want to run. Another example for my Fed toon would be my blue Doctor Doffs. There is nothing wrong with them except most of them do not have the Emotional / Congenial trait that allows for critical success. Eventually I will replace some of them with other blue Doffs with the necessary traits for the missions i wanna run. But not all medical Doff missions requires Emotional / Congenial traits for critical success.

Of the 272 Doffs on my Fed toon, I believe i have around 30 - 35 white Doffs. Many can be eventually sold on the Exchange when I buy or I am awarded a higher quality Doff of the same profession. However, some are bound to my toon, so for those I would simply dismiss. The plan is to get rid both white and green Doffs completely. Then eventually get rid of the blue Doffs as well. However, that will take a long time. Purple Doffs are not exactly inexpensive on the Exchange, and various missions that can reward you with a Doff will generally give you a small chance to get a purple Doff.

For example, over the weekend my KDF toon captured a purple Vorta prisoner after doing a raid on a Federation installation. I found a Doff mission involving returning a prisoner to the Dominion yesterday. I slotted in the purple Vorta Doff for the mission. I basically only had around a 33% chance of getting a purple Doff in return. But I am guaranteed at least a blue Doff.
    edited April 2014
    ... for the rest of the general mass of assignments, how bad would it be if I just picked dept head reqs -iff- my Doff roster is blue and purple populated or even just purple populated?

One important factor is the number of DOffs available to you. If my roster was 200 and mostly blue/purple populated and I got the crit % over 20ish with an acceptable failure rate - I'd go with it. It wasn't until I got my roster to 300 that I started seeing department head choices affecting the critical chances at a level I felt warranted my personal touch as captain.

But since I tend to look for the same missions everytime I play, it didn't take long for me to get a feeling for which missions I had a chance of really, really upping the rewards on by hitting the button to display the entire roster.
    edited April 2014
    1. This post: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=914161 is a great introduction to bit.ly/doffs, The DoffTrekker is a great way to understand the chains and the high-crit useful assignments. For the most part, if the mission is tracked in some way, there is a high payout of something. Hope that helps

I just took a look at that post and am going to look at the DOFFTREKKER and related sites, that sure does look like a good way to become familiar with the chains and I am impressed, amazed and thankful for all the work that went into that site.

Thanks for the link!
    edited April 2014
    If you are looking for Doff missions that pays out a lot of dilithium then you want to create a KDF toon. I play both Fed and KDF toons and I can tell you that the KDF has far more opportunities to earn dilithium than the Fed.

There are Colonial missions that removes 5 colonists (civilian Doff) from your passenger list to be resettled on a planet. It is a 3 hour mission and gives you 500 dil. I believe you need 5 provisions and 1 medical kit for that mission. A critical success will give you 1,000 dil. Of course too need to do the "Resettle" Colonial mission to acquire 5 colonists if you don't have any. That is a 4 hour mission and rewards 5 dil.

There are a couple that gives 50 dil with a normal success and I think those go up to 250 or 500 on a critical success.

Most missions only rewards 5 dil though and they pay 125 dil on a critical success.

The mission that pays out the most dilithium is the Contraband mission. When you have 5 contraband you can turn them over to a security officer for 2,000 dilithium. They are generally located on star bases like DS9 and ESD for Fed toons. There is no critical success for this mission which takes 4 hours to complete. The KDF faction gives you far more opportunities to gather contraband than the Fed. They are mostly from Maraudering missions (KDF version of Diplomacy). For every 1 contraband my Fed toon collects, my KDF toon can probably collect 8 - 12. Go to a stationed security officer to turn in 5 contraband for the 2,000 reward.

Additionally, Maraudering missions are basically raid missions which gets you a lot of free commodities, moderately valued equipment you can sell and prisoners. There are Military missions where you basically send your 4 prisoners to forced labor camps for a 500 dil reward. The same security officer you turn your contraband over to will also take your prisoners as well, however, you turn in 10 prisoners for 1,000 dil and the failure rate is much higher compared to the "Forced Labor Camp" missions. Fed toons only get 5 dil for turning in prisoners I believe and there are not very many missions that will give you prisoners.
    edited April 2014
    I just took a look at that post and am going to look at the DOFFTREKKER and related sites, that sure does look like a good way to become familiar with the chains and I am impressed, amazed and thankful for all the work that went into that site.

Thanks for the link!

Truly, z3robang and the other programming gurus that have worked on that site are heroes! It's honestly the best way to get a feel for what you want to do, as well as tracking cool-downs and such. Loads of information. Happy doffing!

"Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • greycobaltgreycobalt Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This is a lot to absorb, haha. I'll have to go through it. Honestly, numbers hurt my head (I majored in English), so when I see charts like Dofftrekker I tend to shut down. I'm assuming there's no simpler way to manage this?

As for slotting them in ground/space, I've also always been terrible at picking specialties for my ships/crew. I kind of just did what I thought looked/seemed coolest and went from there. Definitely did not make sure I was up to par.

I guess I'll just muddle through somehow. Any advice on upping your limit? Is it worth the Zen?
    edited April 2014
    Any advice on upping your limit? Is it worth the Zen?

If DOffing is something you plan on doing regularly, a possible roster of 150-200 is nice. The basic 100 you're given for free is very tight, particularly since you want to keep a buffer of about 5 empty slots for checking out new cadre or stripping down uncommon or better to whites for starbase projects. At 40ish non-civie specializations, just having two for each is a roster of 80. And two more of each of the basic six civie specializations... A roster of 100 is tight and there are plenty of specializations you'll really want more than two of (security officers! and personally I use research/development/explosive).

After 200 it should be because you really want to target a diverse set of particular missions.

After 300 you're kind'a just collecting.
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Couple of points, and a some notes on the "Contraband" missions ...

KDF toons, get plenty of Contraband from "Marauding" mission

KDF-Aligned Romulan toons also get the same 'Marauding' missions as KDF

FED toons, do not have 'Marauding", but you do get regular "Confiscate contraband from crew" missions.

Generally, as long as you use green or above Security Officers with at least 1 of the required traits, you'll end up with a success and generate contraband. My first Fed toon now has somewhere in excess of 200 contraband just from this assignment. Collected mostly before I knew what it was for!

One thing to remember though, is that results a determined by an RNG to some extent, so you will sometimes get a crit with white DoFF's and sometimes loose the whole mission with a 3 trait purple DoFF.

Finally, don't de-value the other missions. Even nebula scanning is valuable, as it increases your rank in that field, allowing you "purchase" new DOFF's of better quality, also a critical success on almost any mission will reward extra Dil, EC and items that may be worth something, even if it's only vendor/recycle trash.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
    edited April 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    FED toons, do not have 'Marauding", but you do get regular "Confiscate contraband from crew" missions.

Not as prevalent as the kdf maurading missions (8 hour planetary assaults, 2 hour transport raids, or the other 45 minute tactical strikes - all that can reward contraband), feds do get a few rare 20 hour diplomatic mission that can reward contraband.
    edited April 2014
    This is a lot to absorb, haha. I'll have to go through it. Honestly, numbers hurt my head (I majored in English), so when I see charts like Dofftrekker I tend to shut down. I'm assuming there's no simpler way to manage this?

The first once-over on the DoffTrekker can make it seem very overwhelming. It's not really that big on numbers, however. If you're actively going for chains, it's a huge help to know where someone else found the next step; also, tracking cooldowns is a huge help, so you don't waste time trying to find a particular mission if it's not going to show up for you.

You can go the easier, less detailed route, however and do just fine. In the doff window, bottom of the left hand column, is a tab that says "assignment chains". This will show you every chain you've started, the name of the next mission, and the icon next to it will tell you which specialty it is (diplomacy, exploration, etc).

What I do, in a nutshell, is concentrate on completing all the chains with an emphasis on the colonial chains. Any remaining mission slots I'll concentrate on diplo/maurading. The ability to get into the other factions' space, and the transwarp options opened on each level are really important to me, they speed up 'making the rounds' and just make flying around more convenient.

When doing chains - I don't worry too much about critting or even having a success, because the chain will progress regardless of the outcome. The 4 GQ colonization chains open up the ability to trade a doff in for one of the GQ species. This is particularly helpful for getting rid of bound green ones that you can't "grind down" into whites (the ones you get for completing a tier).

Once I've completed the chains, and I'm working on leveling to tier 4 in everything, then I start building my roster towards all purples. All greens get exchanged for 3 commons and donated to the starbase, or sold on the exchange. All blues and extra bound purples from the colony chains, I use in the GQ Officer Exchange missions. And occasionally I will cull out the blues that have no useful traits for those missions and sell them on the exchange or mail them to a new toon.

Along the way, there are plenty of missions to fill out your assignment slots. The others have mentioned a few that are easy to pick up and grab some contraband and/or dilithium. As I mentioned earlier, DoffTrekker tracks the most lucrative missions, so that can give you clues as well. One that's really fun to crit is "Strike Against Fugitive Support Network" - the repeatable after finishing the Facility 4028 chain.
    As for slotting them in ground/space, I've also always been terrible at picking specialties for my ships/crew. I kind of just did what I thought looked/seemed coolest and went from there. Definitely did not make sure I was up to par.

As far as slotting active doffs; read the descriptions and if something sounds interesting, give it a try. One thing I didn't realize at first - an active doff roster power will also affect your BOffs. So, for example, if you're a Sci but you slot an Armory Officer DOff, everytime your BOff places a turret there's a chance to beam in 1 or 2 additional turrets. Be aware that any doff you slot will become bound, so you won't be able to sell it, but you can always do an Officer Exchange or grind 'em down to commons for starbase or EC on the exchange.

There are other posters that would be far more qualified to advise you on which ones are best, but the conversation really needs to be about your ship build, play type, pvp or pve, etc. I am definitely not qualified to give good advice on this matter. I can tell you that the gravimetric scientist's double or triple gravity wells, when they proc, always make me smile. :)

I guess I'll just muddle through somehow. Any advice on upping your limit? Is it worth the Zen?
    I agree with everyone else, 100 slots is very tight. I wouldn't recommend immediately upping your numbers, though. Just wait, there will come a time when you feel like most of your time is deciding between this or that doff, and managing 3 or 4 open slots, and it's just a hassle. That's the time to invest in another hundred.

― Sereda Aleta Dailey

edited April 2014
    The only Fed missions that awards Contraband that I am aware of are the following and they do not appear on a regular basis:

1. Search for contraband amongst the crew (Development?)
    2. Investigate illegal gambling (Espionage?)
    3. Investigate rumors of contraband trading / activities (Diplomatic)
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    The only Fed missions that awards Contraband that I am aware of are the following and they do not appear on a regular basis:

1. Search for contraband amongst the crew (Development?)
    2. Investigate illegal gambling (Espionage?)
    3. Investigate rumors of contraband trading / activities (Diplomatic)

Afaik there are a few more, but some of them only award contraband on a crit: "inspect civilian freighter", "strike against fugitive network", "infiltrate orion syndicate" are few that come to mind. The "interrogate prisoner" one as well, if I remember correctly.
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, I forgot to mention Inspect Civilian Freighter. A normal success give 1 contraband and a critical success give up to 5 contraband.

I think for Interrogate Prisoner you only get contraband on a critical success.