test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sluggish gameplay

liguslyonliguslyon Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited May 2014 in Federation Discussion
Every time I long onto the game the gameplay is either very sluggish (which I've tried to change the game settings, which never seems to work, or kicking me off for server issues) I'm just wondering if anybody is having the same kind of issues with their gameplay.
Post edited by liguslyon on

Comments

• Options
    neos472neos472 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    most likely thing is that the servers are still being overrun with season 9 users wait for a week and it may improve
    manipulator of time and long time space traveler
  • Options
    ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    There's a number of people reporting FPS problems. Unfortunately I'm one of them to the point that the game is no longer playable in certain areas. :/

This all came about after the launch of S9. :(
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • Options
    willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    In the Voth battlezone the game is very slow and my weapons are working but do not have any visual effect when i battle with the Planet Killers or the Voth Fleet.
  • Options
    tiberuscesartiberuscesar Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    liguslyon wrote: »
    Every time I long onto the game the gameplay is either very sluggish (which I've tried to change the game settings, which never seems to work, or kicking me off for server issues) I'm just wondering if anybody is having the same kind of issues with their gameplay.

I too keep getting kicked off with server issues but on;y when i change instance i've tried everything in the support page and still i have issues.

If it is their servers then they really should look as to how they can fix it.
  • Options
    philiptoddphiliptodd Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    As was earlier posted, this is most likely because of season 9. It happened during the reveal of seasons 7 and 8.
    So as was advised earlier, give it a bit of time and it will go back to normal as people return to their normal routines and stop going to the same location all the time.
  • Options
    eareiliaeareilia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Sluggish in a PvP battle means fire all weapons and 5 second pause then *KABOOM* respawn in 15 seconds :p !:D
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    neos472 wrote: »
    most likely thing is that the servers are still being overrun with season 9 users wait for a week and it may improve
    philiptodd wrote: »
    As was earlier posted, this is most likely because of season 9. It happened during the reveal of seasons 7 and 8.
    So as was advised earlier, give it a bit of time and it will go back to normal as people return to their normal routines and stop going to the same location all the time.

Honestly my impression that the usual season release player rush failed to materialize this time.

Only an impression based on... well.... how many player are around, how empty the different PVE qs are... how little instances are around.... stuff like that.
    I see only a few people more around then usually. (with usually I mean before the numbers of people around drastically dropped a few weeks before season 9)
  • Options
    genemorphgenemorph Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Check out the Graphics and sound issues sub-forum:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148

Numerous people are having various graphical issues, including me. See if you can find you particular issue there.
  • Options
    simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    We'll at least you can log in. I get as far as the log in server after today's patch. After that game dumps. WAY TO GO CRAPTIC.
    320x240.jpg
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    In the Voth battlezone the game is very slow and my weapons are working but do not have any visual effect when i battle with the Planet Killers or the Voth Fleet.

The 'no visual effects' is actually an engine limitation. The engine itself can only draw so many visual effects (weapons fire, torpedoes, shield arcs, etc etc etc) at the same time. In any massive battle (the 15 players along with a dozen plus ships plus the giant planet killer like you encounter in the space zone) it can and will go nuts visually.

There is no way to fix this. It's just an engine absolute maximum you've run into.

This has been an issue, well, forever. It happens with all of Cryptic's games when things go absolutely nuts on the number of things all gathered in one place.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    ddemlongddemlong Member Posts: 294
    edited April 2014
    Been having horrible FPS issues, I now have to set it on low and everyone runs around looking like odo.

I have had like a dozen incidents of it just failing to load and getting stuck at the LOR screen.

So far since its launch I have had about 5+ crashes. Latest one today with an error message of "fatal graphics error"

I can't seem to get anything above low on the graphics anymore when before I ran them Med-high. Now at times I get killed by invisible objects/fire, I cant see my own fire, everything is completely bogged down and unplayable

S9 has been horrible play wise. Its really pissing me off to the point I just don't want to play.
    I use to do 100K DPS, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Your Ramming Speed III deals 242658 (243540) Kinetic Damage (Critical) to you.
  • Options
    willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    somebob wrote: »
    The 'no visual effects' is actually an engine limitation. The engine itself can only draw so many visual effects (weapons fire, torpedoes, shield arcs, etc etc etc) at the same time. In any massive battle (the 15 players along with a dozen plus ships plus the giant planet killer like you encounter in the space zone) it can and will go nuts visually.

There is no way to fix this. It's just an engine absolute maximum you've run into.

This has been an issue, well, forever. It happens with all of Cryptic's games when things go absolutely nuts on the number of things all gathered in one place.

It is very disturbing and absolutely no fun. All that flickering and a total visual overdose. At least when i switch the camera focus away from the direct battle my visuals show up again. I thougth it was a fault on my side but my Computer is not that old and i never had problems befor so in some way i am glad its a problem on theie side.

THe Planet Killer was manageable but as the Voth Dreadnought arrived it started to get ugly with the visuals.
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Round 3 of Surface Tension under KDF side this time I was able to take out all targets so the next part of the puzzle would be the PK but now I am stuck with the fleets following me around. So I just place my ship in the shipyard station doc for now. The U.S.S Enterprise is the only one not following. So something in the program didn't catch up or just endlessly mission. :(

As for graphic issues I fixed mine for now some how they have me set to default for texture at 4X where my GPU can do 16X. Also fix the darkness. The screen VIS is better in this season that the last one.

One thing I do see where you all noitce the Battlezone on Ground and in the sphere when everyone is shooting at the same time. There should be enough testing on that issue. But they need to take the testing out of the box. Have 20 people in the test outside there office location and test to see what causing that issue. But it's called overloading.. the packets on the server.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I've noticed that the game is sluggish too. Also a lot of graphics issues that weren't there before.
  • Options
    sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    At launch of S9 I had a lot of connection issues = lots of players.

Now, it's mainly FPS issues. Starbase 24 is almost unplayable for me now since the S9 launch, and I got a mid-range gaming video card that is well beyond the specifications for the game. I have tweeked the setting to be mid-range detail but it does not seem to help.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • Options
    airone38airone38 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Am glad am not the only one with this problem. I just got a new computer and i was looking at the card which is a Geforce GTX 780 and there is nothing wrong on with it Alienware desktop and laptop.
  • Options
    dsarisdsaris Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Too many players... too much spam. Hopefully the Undine will get a spam nerf soon and we all know the massive influx of returning players will slowly dwindle away by the end of next month.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Planet Killer one that's a lot graphic and everyone going for the kill. Trying to keep the ship at 100% shields and hitting the all the enemy ships surround my ship under and top. Way so many. Someone needs to test from the 3 points use in this game for servers for the packets (data) to go from to and from with overloads in place, something is maxing out. Getting a better video card will only help you on your end but you still could run into the same issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Fix from Dev to change the GPU on to CPU to off. Default it's on Game Menu/Main Menu under Options / Graphics GPU - on turn it to off. If you have 2 GHz Dual Core, Quad Core or higher CPU. Everyone else leave the setting alone if you have 1.9 GHz.

Tested so far so good...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I get huge performance lag whenever I am in space and it is brightly lit.

An example would be the Fed Foundry Mission called "Another Man's Hell" when you warp to space and you see a partially destroyed planet and a somewhat bright space background like lots of gas that is being lit up by star light. Anyway, this is the point where you rendezvous with a disabled Klingon starship.

I can easily tell frame rates are in the single digits. This was not the case prior to season 9. Yes, there was a bit of drop in performance, but season 9 resulted in a massive drop in performance.
  • Options
    zidanemorzidanemor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    A 'sort of fix but not really' that could be done (maybe, not sure if this would actually work) would be to have the game engine prioritize the player effects over other players and ai/enemy/npc(?) ship effects.

What i mean by this is the game should always show your effects and visuals at all times, and when needed only hide other players effects and the ai ships effects.