test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Trying to Install on Laptop; Freezing at LoR Loading Screen

So I'm trying to install STO onto my laptop. I don't have the specs off hand, but she's newer than my PC by at least 2 years - and my PC runs the game fine.

I log in, I click engage, it gets past the Cyrptic loading screen, and then at the Legacy of Romulus loading screen... nothing. It hangs there until I click and it says "the program is not responding" blah blah blah.

I've force-verified, started in safe mode... nada. It gets to that LoR screen and doesn't go further. I imagine if I left it sit like that I'd find it there tomorrow, waiting forever.

Any ideas?
Post edited by wilsonfrontier on

Comments

• nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't have the specs off hand, but she's newer than my PC by at least 2 years - and my PC runs the game fine.
    Any ideas?

"newer" means nothing. You can buy a new machine today that stinx at gaming. You really need to list all specs if you want some help.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yep. Please provide name, model number and specs.

Otherwise no one can really help you.
  • wilsonfrontierwilsonfrontier Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    HP 17.3" g7-1219wm Laptop
    Processor Type: AMD Dual-Core E-450 processor 1.65GHz, 1MB L2 Cache
    System Ram: 4 GB
    Resolution: High Definition+ HP BrightView LED Display (1600 x 900)
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6320 with 1973MB
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Bus Speed: 1333MHz
    Model No.: G7-1219wm

I actually got STO installed and to run on an antique PC with a built-in video card from 2006. It ran like TRIBBLE and I couldn't run without system lag, but... it makes no sense how I could get it to load on that old thing and not on this.

I dunno, I used to know tech but that was 10-12 years ago now I'm clueless lol...
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    As soon as STO has patched, I need to wait for about +/- 11 minutes before the game actually continues. As soon as I click with my mouse, it says that the program isn't responding.

In this case I just alt+tab and read the news. It may sounds stupid, but you might want to try that first.
  • kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    My game is freezing at LoR running in normal mode also....I just run the game in safe mode every time and it runs just fine...seems odd.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • irishcaptain007irishcaptain007 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm having the same issue as well... brand new laptop... Inspiron 7000 with nvidia geoforce graphics, intel haswell i7, 16 gb ram... Windows 8.1... should work but it's frozen.
    edited April 2014
    Damn peculiar...
    edited April 2014
    Anyone have any ideas? :(
  • pet1e86pet1e86 Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    HP 17.3" g7-1219wm Laptop
    Processor Type: AMD Dual-Core E-450 processor 1.65GHz, 1MB L2 Cache
    System Ram: 4 GB
    Resolution: High Definition+ HP BrightView LED Display (1600 x 900)
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6320 with 1973MB
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Bus Speed: 1333MHz
    Model No.: G7-1219wm

I actually got STO installed and to run on an antique PC with a built-in video card from 2006. It ran like TRIBBLE and I couldn't run without system lag, but... it makes no sense how I could get it to load on that old thing and not on this.

I dunno, I used to know tech but that was 10-12 years ago now I'm clueless lol...

Laptops are not as powerful as PC's generally, so a PC from 2006 could be better than laptop from now.
  • pet1e86pet1e86 Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm having the same issue as well... brand new laptop... Inspiron 7000 with nvidia geoforce graphics, intel haswell i7, 16 gb ram... Windows 8.1... should work but it's frozen.

More than likely your intel built in graphics is taking priority over the nvidia graphics.
    Try going to
    - NVIDIA Control Panel
    - Manage 3D Settings
    - Global settings
    - CUDA GPU
    - Select Nvidia rather than Intel
  • silence1311silence1311 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Happens to me all the time.
    I found a way to get to the game. When it says Force close and the screen turns white click "wait" and wait a few seconds. :)
    edited May 2014
    Happens to me all the time.
    I found a way to get to the game. When it says Force close and the screen turns white click "wait" and wait a few seconds. :)

I'll have to give that a try.
  • fauxgreyfauxgrey Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well the laptop certainly meets the requirements to play the game. (maybe not to you all, but I've certainly played on worse hardware.)

The CPU is a little weak and laptop hard drives aren't the snappiest of things, if leaving the game open to load for a while does nothing (and if the game is using no CPU percentage in task manager) I would suggest:

Installing AMD graphics/cpu/intergrated-thingy drivers.
    Installing DirectX

Im unsure if STO needs .net framework or c++ redistributables or the like, but it can never hurt to install them.

Most cases after a patch, my machines tend to take a tad longer on the LOR screen, clicking anywhere results in a "not responding." ; but as a previous poster says, try clicking on "wait for the program to respond." and give it a while.
    Only a fool seeks meaning from a bowl of oatmeal.
  • ehlimehlim Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Nope.

Waiting, alt-tabbing, whatever, nothing works. It gets stuck on LoR loading screen EVERY TIME, with many different graphic configurations and always with the Directx 11 setting selected. The only way of avoiding it is running it in safe mode, then I can max out everything and it works.

Launching it on Directx 9 maybe works. not sure.

My problem here is that I've been able to play normally launching it in safe mode and then maxing up whatever I wanted, UNTIL THE RELEASE OF SEASON 9.
    Now, if I put settings to high, a new very annoying stuttering comes up. By stuttering I mean: the games hangs on a frame for about 1-1.5 seconds every time I turn my camera around fast, click on a skill, basically whenever I do somthing that involves a graphical response from the game. If I stay where I am it runs smoothly, no matter how maxed out the settings are.
    This might seem trivial but it's horrible in many situations, for instance when there a cut scene, it always hangs at the beginning and at every change of scene, completely TRIBBLE up everything. Also happens both in ground and in space, with everyone of my characters.

I think the problem might have to do with "reflections" setting or lights (whether dynamic, number etc. I'm not sure), because if I put reflections off, I SEEM to get fewer frame hangs.

Please understand that this NEVER happened to me before season 9, I haven't changed my laptop configuration.

Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit Service Pack 1
    Intel i7-3630QM
    8Gb of RAM
    Nvidia Geforce GT 650m @2Gb vRAM
    Latest original drivers, updated Directx 11, all the stupid C++ modules, Net frameworks, Java, flash, whatever I've got them all. And all is exactly the same as it was before season 9
    Also, I'm using Arc, before that I was using Steam, the stuck at LoR screen happened on Steam, and it happens as well now on Arc.

PLEASE HELP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • silvertintsilvertint Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I have the problem of it getting to the LoR screen and then it goes to next screen, but it's all black. The music is playing and when i tab over something that makes noise it makes noise but it's all black. When i uninstall and reinstall it works just fine no lag or anything, until i close the program. when i try to play again it gets to the launch screen but the above said problem happens.
  • th3xr34p3rth3xr34p3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    silvertint wrote: »
    I have the problem of it getting to the LoR screen and then it goes to next screen, but it's all black. The music is playing and when i tab over something that makes noise it makes noise but it's all black. When i uninstall and reinstall it works just fine no lag or anything, until i close the program. when i try to play again it gets to the launch screen but the above said problem happens.

and for those having the same issue:
    hello,

on start up of sto and it is the loading star trek online/legacy of romulus screens if you are in full screen mode for sto before it right as it starts loading the star trek online screen exit full screen go into windowed mode/ press start on keyboard look at top right corner click the restore down this will put sto into windowed mode, if already in windowed mode just skip to next part.

From lower right hand side of the game drag up and across to left upper corner till sto is as small as possible and let go wait for sto to load onto the character select screen then click the maximize button to play in windowed maximized mode until on character select screen do nothing don't have other things open browser's youtube whatnot it should load sto without turning into a black screen.

the issue it self is graphics display driver crashing on the final legacy of romulus screen before character select screen once on character select by how i said above you can play without any black screen again or should the smaller size of sto on load up seems to avoid the crash/black screen on sto maybe just less to load up on that last jump from lor screen to character select, who knows... but good luck hope this helps out should do for geforce/nvidia users unsure on others but give it a try however if it does you will have to load sto every time like this but it should load with no problems/display driver crashing, let me know how it goes :)
    [SIGPIC]Click to visit Subspace-Radio[/SIGPIC]
    Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
    The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
  • simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    How long are you letting it sit there. I have the same problem after very patch. I think it is something in the coding to do with directx 11, nvidia, and cryptic. I get bogged down for 15 minute served Thursday. I just have to wait for the screen to change. Once I have it patched and wait my fifteen minutes, I get a log in timeout and I am at the character login screen. I relog there and the game is happy. Pease time how long you are getting the LoR screen, the longest mine has ever been is 20 minutes. I don't have this issue running directx 9.
    320x240.jpg