test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Experimental Proton Weapon and Beam Target X

majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
Cryptic, please consider allowing the Experimental Proton Weapon to use Beam Target Subsystem attacks. Every other power was added via set bonuses to this weapon, yet subsystem attacks were excluded. Without the ability to use subsystem disabling attacks, this weapon is useless on a science vessel, which is quite a shame given the fact that the torpedo is very science oriented.
--->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
--->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
Post edited by majortiraomega on

Comments

• Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Cryptic, please consider allowing the Experimental Proton Weapon to use Beam Target Subsystem attacks. Every other power was added via set bonuses to this weapon, yet subsystem attacks were excluded. Without the ability to use subsystem disabling attacks, this weapon is useless on a science vessel, which is quite a shame given the fact that the torpedo is very science oriented.

CSV and BO cannot be used with the weapon either. Would you like to add those too?
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,844 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    CSV and BO cannot be used with the weapon either. Would you like to add those too?

Does the Proton Experimental Weapon interact with all beam and cannon bridge officer powers?

Below is a breakdown of bridge officer abilities that are compatible with this weapon:

Beam: Overload
    Cannon: Scatter Volley
    Energy Weapons: Singularity Overcharge
    Beam: Fire At Will
    Requires the 2-piece set bonus from the ?Protonic Arsenal Set?
    Cannon: Rapid Fire
    Requires the 3-piece set bonus from the ?Protonic Arsenal Set?

Actually it kinda does work with everything except TSS...

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1017171
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I guess they are treating it much like the KCB in that regard.

But letting it use Target X would be nice.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »
    I guess they are treating it much like the KCB in that regard.

But letting it use Target X would be nice.

It makes no sense though, they give it access to every beam and cannon power except the power that will help science vessels.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • Options
    tallanvortallanvor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Excellent job with this.
    lowest price,superior service[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shad0wnyxshad0wnyx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Makes more sense especially now with the new Dyson ships and anniversary ship...
  • Options
    id0liciousid0licious Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yes, I also find it incredibly stupid that the weapon can't use Target Subsystems, but is able to use every other beam AND cannon skill (whether that requires set gear or not, it's possible).

Cryptic, please reconsider adding Target Subsystem to this weapon.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Just a single extra weapon isn't gonna make all that much of a difference to your Beam: Target X attacks.

Besides, the EPW is kind of a mixed bag. It's a kinda beam, but it can do CRF (Wut?). It can do CRF, but no CSV. It can do BFAW, but not Beam: Target X.

Tl;dr: you win some, you lose some.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    It can do CRF, but no CSV.
    It can CSV just fine. It doesn't need anything at all to CSV, which is why it is not mentioned in the set boosts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    It can CSV just fine. It doesn't need anything at all to CSV, which is why it is not mentioned in the set boosts.

Are you sure about this?! I currently have it equipped even, on my Mobius, and it doesn't appear to be doing CSV at all.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I had it on the shipbutt of my Mogh, and it was CSVing whenever a target happened to be there and I had CSV up, with the traditional random spew of random bullets in all directions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cerealplayercerealplayer Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It actually makes no sense, and there is no reason, for it not to do Beam Target X, and one huge reason for it to do so: the new Solinae Dyson Destroyers.

The weapon can, either by itself or through set bonuses, use every other weapon BOFF power. This really gives every impression of being an oversight of the Dev team.
  • Options
    kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm certain it is working with CSV.

Just a +1 here. If you put Target Sub Systems on it, even if it was part of the 3pc, I'd get a lot more mileage out of it.

As it is, I only use it now when I want a splash of color...
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • Options
    cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I find it silly that this weapon is given so many advantages.

Personally I would limit it to be single target beam and cannon abilities.

Subsystem attacks
    Beam Overload
    Cannon Rapid Fire
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yes, it can. I have used it on my main, who flies a Vesta, and he's able to use Cannon Rapid Fire/Scatter Volley, plus Beam Fire-at-will and Overload.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think it should targetX as well it was a bit of a let down to find out it did not .
    I havr the 3 set n it works with Csv backwords :cool:
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Yes, it can. I have used it on my main, who flies a Vesta, and he's able to use Cannon Rapid Fire/Scatter Volley, plus Beam Fire-at-will and Overload.

Seems it can indeed do CSV.

This caused me to think of an interesting conundrum the other day: will both [+Beam] and [+Can] Vulnerability Locators work on it? And if you pre-buff both BFAW and CSV, what will the EPW do? Either one, I reckon; but which one?!

Yes, questions! :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    turbommx1turbommx1 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It will do scatter volley and ignore the Bfaw.

When the EPW gets a cannon ability and a beam ability set up it does the cannon ability then will swap to the beam. But since scatter volley and beam fire at will have the same timer Fire at will be be done by the time its finished scattering.

However if you do scatter or rapid fire than Overload it will finish the cannon cycle. Then overload.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    turbommx1 wrote: »

When the EPW gets a cannon ability and a beam ability set up it does the cannon ability then will swap to the beam. But since scatter volley and beam fire at will have the same timer Fire at will be be done by the time its finished scattering.

However if you do scatter or rapid fire than Overload it will finish the cannon cycle. Then overload.

Thx. That's good to know. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
    edited February 2014
    turbommx1 wrote: »

This is useful to know in the Dyson destroyer, so one can mount beams to keep the subsystem targeting, and still have FAW as well as a cannon skill.
    Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
    Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
    Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
  • Options
    id0liciousid0licious Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Just a single extra weapon isn't gonna make all that much of a difference to your Beam: Target X attacks.

I fail to see your point. You only need one [beam] weapon to do Beam Targeting.
    If I choose to run an all cannon/turret setup with the EPW, I expect the EPW to be able to handle Beam: Target X (as it can do every other beam attack as well as cannon attack). Otherwise, I'd be forced to run a DBB instead of another DHC, just to be able to Beam Target. LAME.

So, yes. A single extra weapon makes ALL the difference.
    Besides, the EPW is kind of a mixed bag. It's a kinda beam, but it can do CRF (Wut?). It can do CRF, but no CSV. It can do BFAW, but not Beam: Target X.

Tl;dr: you win some, you lose some.

It can do CSV and Beam Overload out-of-the-box without needing any set gear. Did you read the dev blog upon release...?

The one and only thing this EPW does NOT do is Beam: Target X. Which forces a player to run a DBB just for that reason (if they want B:TX). Again: LAME.

Seems like an oversight, but who knows with this dev team...lol...
  • Options
    grievasgrievas Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I agree, please allow the EPW to use the target abilities.
  • Options
    priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
    edited February 2014
    It doesn't make any sense for the EPW to not be able to run Beam: Target X. I'd imagine it's an oversight, but I feel like it will never get fixed.
    Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
    Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
    Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Agreed. It should be able to target X.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    k9younitk9younit Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You can always use the 360 AP array. Dyson consoles can boost both. The conundrum comes into play when you realize flow capacitors effects the secondary deflector of the DSD, polaron weapons, and target subsytem.
  • Options
    kishodarkishodar Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    +1

Just added the reputation set that has this weapon to my Sci Destroyer and find it strange that Beam Target X is the only skill not supported by it.
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This is useful to know in the Dyson destroyer, so one can mount beams to keep the subsystem targeting, and still have FAW as well as a cannon skill.

You can but why would you want to.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    waywardwandererwaywardwanderer Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    sander233 wrote: »
    You can but why would you want to.

Because the Dyson has a built-in proton cannon, so anything with Proton damage bonuses help a lot. If you can get EPW to access the subsystem targeting in the science configuration of the ship, the Protonic Arsenal set will let you make a pretty effective cannon/turret build for the ship and not lose one of the ship's features.

Personally, I want it for a Vesta build around protonic polaron cannons/turrets.