test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

S9: Graphic max settings now making my GPU/CPU struggle

Comments

• greuceangreucean Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This probably sounds obvious, but make sure that "World Texture Detail" and "Charater Texture Detail" are set to no more than 100%.
    I found after S9 patch these were cranked up to 300% for me and I was getting half the FPS I was before :eek:

they're at 100 in my case, it's the ui that seems to cause sharp drops in frames when used...
  • jaxteboxlejaxteboxle Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    No official acknowledgment of the problem yet :( I'm such an idiot, I recently go the super expensive Romulus pack (which i have been very pleased with), but now the game is unplayable, and my (albeit limited) experience with customer support does not inspire confidence, quite the opposite in fact. So I fear Cryptic will never fix this problem.

UI does seem to have an impact, opening up certain windows, causes a big drop, before it stabilizes, duty officer window, skills window, for example.

The problems exist everywhere however, even in a single player area, with NO npcs, or fancy effects or anything, if I pan the camera around, fps takes a dive. Obviously it's far worse in areas with other people.
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Just to see if it would make any kind of difference, I ran it in 800x600.

The average FPS I got on a run through of SB24 was 4-5. Yep, I'm not missing 0's I'm afraid.

Again, there is something up. Acknowledgement of these reports would help us to know the problem introduced with S9 is being looked into.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
    edited April 2014
    jaxteboxle wrote: »
    UI does seem to have an impact, opening up certain windows, causes a big drop, before it stabilizes, duty officer window, skills window, for example.

The problems exist everywhere however, even in a single player area, with NO npcs, or fancy effects or anything, if I pan the camera around, fps takes a dive. Obviously it's far worse in areas with other people.

It is WORD for WORD exactly what I'm experiencing, so.... at least we know it's not us. I'd suggest opening support tickets, but I know from several sources that is futile.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Check to make sure the 'Framerate Stabilizer" is set to off.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited April 2014
    checked, its off, thank you for the suggestion
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This probably sounds obvious, but make sure that "World Texture Detail" and "Charater Texture Detail" are set to no more than 100%.
    I found after S9 patch these were cranked up to 300% for me and I was getting half the FPS I was before :eek:

I literally have everything maxed, including those at 300% without any issues. I hope everyone that is having issues is able to get things resolved but I am not finding any issues.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
    edited April 2014
    I've gone through and toggled various settings and I can only get a smooth gameplay experience by starting in safe mode.

Tuning settings after that, back to the low FPS again. Although fiddling with the Render Quality slider produces slightly better results, but nowhere near to restore it to pre S9 levels of FPS.

Okay, so I have now wiped STO, re-installed it. Wiped my drivers, cleaned etc...and there is nada of a difference. All done as a testing point of view, but with either the default drivers from Windows Update, 13.12 and the 14.4 RC.

Not sure what else I can do to be honest. :/

I really hope this gets addressed as I'd rather not have to give up the game. :(
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • platewearingbirdplatewearingbird Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I haven't had any issues with season 9 graphically. You do need to reset all of your graphics settings upon login and they seem to be stretched over 3 tabs now. I don't know who thought that was a good idea but I think they should all be on a single tab. I have tried the new content and have explored ESD a few times with no issues, slowdowns, or framerate drops. Have any of you tried different drivers? I am currently running the Catalyst 14.4 RC1 on Windows 8.1 at 1920X1200 under DX11 on the highest settings the game allows.

CPU: Core i7 4770K @ 4.3GHz
    Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
    RAM: 16GB (2X8GB) G.Skill F3-2400C10
    GPU: MSI Radeon 7950 3GB

You're declaring you're ok, but look at your rig.

That thing can calculate chess moves faster than Deep Blue, of COURSE you're not having problems because your system beats the recommended specs 2 times over.

Please let the devs try and fix it. It doesn't help anyone declaring "I'm Ok!".

It really ticks me off when people with super-rigs come to the tech part of forums and declaring "I'm not having problems" like it's everyone else's fault that they do.
  • aureleusaureleus Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You're declaring you're ok, but look at your rig.

That thing can calculate chess moves faster than Deep Blue, of COURSE you're not having problems because your system beats the recommended specs 2 times over.

Please let the devs try and fix it. It doesn't help anyone declaring "I'm Ok!".

It really ticks me off when people with super-rigs come to the tech part of forums and declaring "I'm not having problems" like it's everyone else's fault that they DO.

Actually I bet they are having issues, even with that beefy system. As my system isn't Too far off from theirs *minus the CPU* and I am getting Hammered with the new content *mostly with big crowds fighting Undine*, don't get me wrong he has a hell of a nice PC but the issues me and several others are getting are related to poor coding via the rendering engine and how it utilizes both the GPU and CPU.

Also there are issues rendering the UI now as well *Worse then Before S9*. In sector space I get a Constant 60 FPS, but the second I hit the U key it drops to 19 FPS. This isn't an issue via my GPU Or CPU, its a Damn UI it shouldn't have a hit on FPS at all lolz.

My System Spec's.

AMD Phenom II X4 955BE @ 3.8GHz *Quad Core*
    8GB G.Skill Ares 1600MHz Cas 8 in Dual Channel mode
    MSI R9 270X Gaming 4GB
    ASRock 990FX Extreme 4

My 270X is not that different from his HD 7950 performance wise and I have 1GB of Vram more, but that doesn't matter since I have never seen STO use more then around 1.4GBs with AA maxed out. Now our CPUs ya sure his beats the living daylights out of mine lolz how ever, gaming performance is way different then Benchmarks.

Fact remains that performance I had before S9 was way better then what it is now and it sure as hell doesn't change the fact that Cryptic needs to do Something regarding how the rendering engine utilizes the GPU/CPU.

We shouldn't be forced every season to Tweak or OC *Over Clock* and or Upgrade our PCs just to play a game where most of us by now run PCs that are well above the minimum spec's.
    edited April 2014
    aureleus wrote: »
    Actually I bet they are having issues, even with that beefy system. As my system isn't Too far off from theirs *minus the CPU* and I am getting Hammered with the new content *mostly with big crowds fighting Undine*, don't get me wrong he has a hell of a nice PC but the issues me and several others are getting are related to poor coding via the rendering engine and how it utilizes both the GPU and CPU.

Also there are issues rendering the UI now as well *Worse then Before S9*. In sector space I get a Constant 60 FPS, but the second I hit the U key it drops to 19 FPS. This isn't an issue via my GPU Or CPU, its a Damn UI it shouldn't have a hit on FPS at all lolz.

My System Spec's.

AMD Phenom II X4 955BE @ 3.8GHz *Quad Core*
    8GB G.Skill Ares 1600MHz Cas 8 in Dual Channel mode
    MSI R9 270X Gaming 4GB
    ASRock 990FX Extreme 4

My 270X is not that different from his HD 7950 performance wise and I have 1GB of Vram more, but that doesn't matter since I have never seen STO use more then around 1.4GBs with AA maxed out. Now our CPUs ya sure his beats the living daylights out of mine lolz how ever, gaming performance is way different then Benchmarks.

Fact remains that performance I had before S9 was way better then what it is now and it sure as hell doesn't change the fact that Cryptic needs to do Something regarding how the rendering engine utilizes the GPU/CPU.

We shouldn't be forced every season to Tweak or OC *Over Clock* and or Upgrade our PCs just to play a game where most of us by now run PCs that are well above the minimum spec's.

I'd bet any money this new UI problem is tied to offscreen throttle (where the game uses less resources minimized or alt-tabbed)

I bet it's thinking UI windows are alt-tabbing the game and throttling itself.

And I agree with the fact that since both small and big rigs are both having the same problem that its bad coding, I still attest its in really bad taste to post your Uber-Rigs than say "It's working just fine for me".

You're just gonna tick everyone looking for help off.
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'd bet any money this new UI problem is tied to offscreen throttle (where the game uses less resources minimized or alt-tabbed)

I bet it's thinking UI windows are alt-tabbing the game and throttling itself.

And I agree with the fact that since both small and big rigs are both having the same problem that its bad coding, I still attest its in really bad taste to post your Uber-Rigs than say "It's working just fine for me".

You're just gonna tick everyone looking for help off.

My thoughts exactly. The day before the patch, 60 fps solid on near max settings (bloom turned off) on an old core 2 quad q9550 at 2.8ghz with 8gb of ram and a 6850 1GB. S9 comes and POW I now get sub 30fps, with reduced settings and regular cpu spikes. CPU usage chart says cpu drops to near 0, then suddenly spikes up to 100% for a moment, dropping down to settle at around 75%. Before, it used to go no higher than 75% unless on truly busy maps like a mobbed out SB24 or mirror.

Not good.

EDIT

For base needs atm, I'm just going to SB39. Much better fps there.
    I need a beer.

• dcpuserdcpuser Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm having an assortment of video issues since this Season 9 update as well (for the record I had no problems with Season 8) and I'm sure there are probably work arounds and fixes I need to read through.

1) While in Ground mode, going 3 rows of hotkeys causes the power tray to spasm. Hovering your mouse over it slows it down somewhat but obviously that isnt a fix. Going to 2 rows or default 1 row doesn't seem do this so this appears isolated to going 3 rows. Resetting HUD and so on did not fix it.

2) Major pixelation issues all around since Season 9. Character models and texture edges are not sharp (heavy pixels).

3) Depth of view seems to have shrunk down considerably since Season 9. Characters could be standing only a short distance away and they look pixelated.

I've toggled different settings from what I can see so far and none of them improved my visual experience.
    edited April 2014
    dcpuser wrote: »
    I'm having an assortment of video issues since this Season 9 update as well (for the record I had no problems with Season 8) and I'm sure there are probably work arounds and fixes I need to read through.

1) While in Ground mode, going 3 rows of hotkeys causes the power tray to spasm. Hovering your mouse over it slows it down somewhat but obviously that isnt a fix. Going to 2 rows or default 1 row doesn't seem do this so this appears isolated to going 3 rows. Resetting HUD and so on did not fix it.

2) Major pixelation issues all around since Season 9. Character models and texture edges are not sharp (heavy pixels).

3) Depth of view seems to have shrunk down considerably since Season 9. Characters could be standing only a short distance away and they look pixelated.

I've toggled different settings from what I can see so far and none of them improved my visual experience.

Turn off post-processing and cinematic focus. That should get rid of the pixels and blurriness.
    edited April 2014
    Well the problems are still persisting, I tried going renderscale 0.1 through to 1.0 with cpu/gpu sliders to minimum and the FPS problem is still there.

At least I've had a twitter response and on the forums here that it's known about. Whether anything can be done or not in good time.

Still be nice to have some official comment.
    edited April 2014
    Well the problems are still persisting, I tried going renderscale 0.1 through to 1.0 with cpu/gpu sliders to minimum and the FPS problem is still there.

At least I've had a twitter response and on the forums here that it's known about. Whether anything can be done or not in good time.

Still be nice to have some official comment.

It'll most likely be around 2 weeks before we see a *Major* fix to the FPS issue, If any at all, but if they don't address it there actually loose players, which no company likes. So were see how this plays out in the next few weeks, personally its about time STO had a Major overhaul of the rendering engine since its needed it for awhile now, basically since season 7.
    edited April 2014
    It'll most likely be around 2 weeks before we see a *Major* fix to the FPS issue, If any at all, but if they don't address it there actually loose players, which no company likes. So were see how this plays out in the next few weeks, personally its about time STO had a Major overhaul of the rendering engine since its needed it for awhile now, basically since season 7.

s7? There was an overhaul then? The last one that I recall was s5 when dx11 was brought in.

EDIT

On the ground, my fps seems to really plummet as soon as I enter combat. As soon as I leave combat i.e. the RED ALERT sign goes off my fps climbs back up to the new and lower normal. Drop from 40+ to 15 or less.

EDIT 2

Space is the same though not to the same extent. *only* 80 to 45 drop.
    I need a beer.

edited April 2014
    I suspected that might be the case, but was also optimistic there might have been something obvious.

My FPS can range from 3-4FPS to the same sort of range as captainoblivious. I wasn't too sure it affected ground as I never do ground pvp. But at least there is more for the devs to go on.
    edited April 2014
    I suspected that might be the case, but was also optimistic there might have been something obvious.

My FPS can range from 3-4FPS to the same sort of range as captainoblivious. I wasn't too sure it affected ground as I never do ground pvp. But at least there is more for the devs to go on.

The space fps drop is nowhere near as catastrophic as the ground drop imo. Also, I never do group pvp either. I was just doing episode runs!
    I need a beer.

edited April 2014
    s7? There was an overhaul then? The last one that I recall was s5 when dx11 was brought in.

EDIT

On the ground, my fps seems to really plummet as soon as I enter combat. As soon as I leave combat i.e. the RED ALERT sign goes off my fps climbs back up to the new and lower normal. Drop from 40+ to 15 or less.

EDIT 2

Space is the same though not to the same extent. *only* 80 to 45 drop.

I meant when they started to make more changes that started to effect FPS for more and more ppl not an overhaul, and that there is a need now for an overhaul of the old rendering engine, its not optimized very well atm and were seeing its effects hit lots of players.
    edited April 2014
    I meant when they started to make more changes that started to effect FPS for more and more ppl not an overhaul, and that there is a need now for an overhaul of the old rendering engine, its not optimized very well atm and were seeing its effects hit lots of players.

Oh god yes, I know what you mean. It didn't hit me too hard with s7 but when s8 came around it was a noticeable drop. Noticeable, but not really that massive.
    This latest drop really is huge though.
    I need a beer.

edited April 2014
    The space fps drop is nowhere near as catastrophic as the ground drop imo. Also, I never do group pvp either. I was just doing episode runs!

I might run some ground later to check things out, but I can tell you, the space fps drop is definitely catastrophic if it makes the game unplayable. :(
  • ddemlongddemlong Member Posts: 294
    edited April 2014
    S9 is def killing me here. Before running on medium was fine and Max was a bit slow, not anything into medium or high makes it unplayable.

I don't have a super rig by any means but the change it extremely noticeable.

The stupid default settings makes everyone look like odo.
    I use to do 100K DPS, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Your Ramming Speed III deals 242658 (243540) Kinetic Damage (Critical) to you.
    edited April 2014
    I might run some ground later to check things out, but I can tell you, the space fps drop is definitely catastrophic if it makes the game unplayable. :(

You must be running one heck of an old rig then, because even mine manages space more or less okay in open space. The only place in space my rig chokes is in the sphere or if there's huge mobs like in SB24.

2.8 Ghz Core 2 Quad (Q9550) 8GB DDR2 ram, AMD 6850 1GB.
    I need a beer.

• darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I've had a massive FPS drop with S9 as well. Used to have things cranked up, now I had to drop it almost to low. Maybe it's the Auto going to DX11, I'll have to check on that when I get back on.
    edited April 2014
    You must be running one heck of an old rig then, because even mine manages space more or less okay in open space. The only place in space my rig chokes is in the sphere or if there's huge mobs like in SB24.

2.8 Ghz Core 2 Quad (Q9550) 8GB DDR2 ram, AMD 6850 1GB.

Why must I be running an old rig?

1055T/8Gb/270X-4Gb is the basics of what I run. And as said in the thread previously, this problem only occurred for me and others with S9.

To darkjeff, might not make any difference on the DX version. Same issue throughout for me.
    edited April 2014
    Why must I be running an old rig?

1055T/8Gb/270X-4Gb is the basics of what I run. And as said in the thread previously, this problem only occurred for me and others with S9.

To darkjeff, might not make any difference on the DX version. Same issue throughout for me.

Because you were saying that you found space unplayable, while I find it playable (though lower than normal) despite me having an old rig. I figured that if your rig was struggling so much, then it must have been rather older than my own. Clearly, I was mistaken.

I've just tried diferent DX versions. No effect, still having a big drop in fps.
    I need a beer.

edited April 2014
    So far from what I can tell from all the different posts on this thread alone, is that this issue is based almost entirely around the in game rendering engine and how it utilizes our CPU and GPUs to render the game.

This issue has been getting progressively worse since season 7 and just kept creeping along till season 9. Where its now gotten to the point where it is effecting nearly all players, even players with Very beefed up PCs with SLI/Crossfire config's are having issues, even when they disable there SLI or Crossfire there still getting these massive FPS drops.

So its Very clear that this is a major issue on Cryptic's end Not ours, and all we can really do atm is essentially wait until they fix it, with all the threads regarding this issue and many other issues that came along with S9 they've got there hands full lolz.

So were just ganna have to wait and see what Cryptic does regarding these issues in the next few weeks, hopefully there get it fixed cause playing in the Undine space battle zone atm is not exactly a smooth experience FPS wise :/ lolz.
    edited April 2014
    Because you were saying that you found space unplayable, while I find it playable (though lower than normal) despite me having an old rig. I figured that if your rig was struggling so much, then it must have been rather older than my own. Clearly, I was mistaken.

I've just tried diferent DX versions. No effect, still having a big drop in fps.

I can see how you might assume that, I know there is people out there with far better rigs than us that are having the problem.

Still hopeful with faith. :)
    edited April 2014
    Just tried it with post processing off. Not that much difference fps wise, though there were fewer sudden drops it still plummeted when I went into combat or visited esd. The average is still a lot lower than it was with s8 as well.
    I need a beer.