test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Suggestive Idea (Lock Boxes without Ships)

flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
It's probably some time off yet, but eventually we're going to run out of practical ships to place in the Lock Boxes. We've had the Galor and D'Kora (two of the most prominent releases), then the Temporal Ships, the Tholian Ships, then the Elachi, Tal Shiar, Voth, Hirogen (don't think these really took off?) and soon, Undine.

Am I missing one? :confused: Anyway, seeing as I've mentioned them, @Cryptic - the Cardassian and Ferengi Lock Boxes could do with a revamp, bring them up to the reward level that current boxes provide? A Lobi Ship to accommodate them too. Thanks! Might want to think about a Son'a Lock Box at some point too? I'm sure those ships (Battleship especially) would sell.

Anyway, I'm getting away from the point, when the time comes (and it will, eventually) instead of releasing ships that nobody will really want, how about officers (both as character playable and bridge officers?)

We know further factions are a long shot, though there are many species out there that people might like to play as (without using the alien generator). Some of us no doubt would cherish the opportunity to play as a Cardassian, or a Vorta, or maybe even a Suliban? The possibilities are endless when you think about it.

Your Main Lock Box Rewards would be a character token (of said species) along with a single character slot (enabling said person, upon collecting their reward, to have a fresh character slot ready for them). Secondary rewards could be bridge officers of said species, and costumes unique to that species?

This may further aid you in having people pay toward collecting lock box ships. Think, if people are suddenly able to play as a Vorta, and are able to attain Jem Hadar Bridge Officers (through lock boxes / the exchange) this would further fuel some people into desiring a Dominion Ship, no?

Just a thought. :) - and before anyone argues the point, it's not beyond belief that a specific group of a specific faction wouldn't decide to join the Federation/KDF/Republic at their own choosing. The STO story (unless you roleplay) is unique to each character, so it's not like we'd suddenly have a whole bunch of Suliban or Son'a joining the ranks. :)
attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
Post edited by flash525 on

Comments

• Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    *Loads shotgun*

you'll gamble for ships and like it!

That said... i'm all in favor for running around as an Undine crushing the Gekli scum!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think the equivalent of a lockbox ship would probably be re-species (with special option) plus a kit frame.

To complete the effect (and this is a revamp I've mulled over) I think rather than be a permanent thing, species should be selectable by costume slot. That would not be perfect for immersion (although species reassignment surgery is about a wardrobe change away in Trek) but it would be consistent with the fleets we have. The big change there would probably be to BOffs, as their gender/species could be changed within the tailor. (Certain BOffs might retain a special option unlocked, ala Lib Borg Romulan, Jem'Hadar, etc..)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I think the equivalent of a lockbox ship would probably be re-species (with special option) plus a kit frame.
    I can't see a respecies trait being released as that would likely reduce the number of characters people play, thus in turn would reduce the number of other purchases made.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Not a bad idea at all, especially if Cryptic sees the light and doesn't implement the Undine lockbox hash.

I'd gamble on lockboxes for a shot at playing a Vorta or Jem'Hadar. Especially a Jem'Hadar.
  • Options
    vampirialvampirial Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Tbh I wouldn't mind a lockbox that adds a kit that unlocks the missing "exoplating" to my Borg character.

Since they won't add it normally :(
  • Options
    gamerwookiegamerwookie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Not a bad idea at all, especially if Cryptic sees the light and doesn't implement the Undine lockbox hash.

I'd gamble on lockboxes for a shot at playing a Vorta or Jem'Hadar. Especially a Jem'Hadar.

That would make Ketracel White a lot more useful
  • Options
    johankreigjohankreig Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    i suggested a respecies option a while back and got my head repetedly shewed off and flamed so much you could have barely sweapt up my ashes, so I wouldnt mention it if I was you.
    Jorhana Kreig: KDF, Tal'is: Romulan Fed, Shona'a: Romulan KDF, Johan Paul Kreig: Fed
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    johankreig wrote: »
    i suggested a respecies option a while back and got my head repetedly shewed off and flamed so much you could have barely sweapt up my ashes, so I wouldnt mention it if I was you.
    If your comment was to me, that's cool and all, except I haven't mentioned a respecies option.

Whilst on the subject of that though, as stated above:
    I can't see a respecies trait being released as that would likely reduce the number of characters people play, thus in turn would reduce the number of other purchases made.
    There's no profit in it. If anything, such an option would take away from potential profit. It isn't going to happen.
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well in my endless crusade for this games need for playable bridge officers and the uncountable number of posts and threads I made about that I suggested that they could put rare playable BOs into the lockboxes several times already... needless to say I support the Idea.