test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Odyssey buff-time?

phalanx01phalanx01 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Federation Discussion
Not asking for a major revamp of the ship, but seeing as how the Gal X suddenly got a hangar bay, why not add one to the Odyssey as well? It does make sense if you think about it, the ship is MASSIVE. While you're at it, how about a little hangar bay for the Bortas as well? Make it even.
Post edited by phalanx01 on

Comments

• seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't see a need for a revamp of the Oddys. Their BOFF layouts give them just about the best versatility you can get from a cruiser. A hangar could work, but I would still argue that its not a good idea to go around and slapping hangars on to everything that isn't top of the line powercreep anymore.

As for the Bortasqu, I'd like a shield modifier increase. To this day I don't understand why its 1.0 as opposed to 1.1 as it should be.
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Oh gee the old standby of "hey lets buff X ship! Throw a hanger on it!" That isn't the way to fix things.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    No hangar bay.

A better option would be to buff the Aquarius pet since it can already launch that. Make it smarter/stronger/better. Then maybe let it be used with saucer sep. That's all it really needs at most.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    No hangar bay.

A better option would be to buff the Aquarius pet since it can already launch that. Make it smarter/stronger/better. Then maybe let it be used with saucer sep. That's all it really needs at most.

Jeah... the Aquarius pet seems to be a bit.... underwhelming.
    May be it would be enough to make it launchable with the Saucer together... but in its current state for mere "efficiency" you'd launch the Chevron since its much stronger. Aqarius is just vanity and there to unlock the GW III for the chevron.

But thats the only "Buff" the odysee could need... its pretty strong as it is.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    How about no?

Neither the Odyssey nor the Bortasqu' are in any need of a buff at the present time. Both ships ar more than fine as it is for the time being.
    This ridiculous crying to slap a hangar bay on everything and anything needs to stop. People payed good money to buy the Odyssey and Bortasqu' cruisers, not friggin' FDCs.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    How about no?

Neither the Odyssey nor the Bortasqu' are in any need of a buff at the present time. Both ships ar more than fine as it is for the time being.
    This ridiculous crying to slap a hangar bay on everything and anything needs to stop. People payed good money to buy the Odyssey and Bortasqu' cruisers, not friggin' FDCs.

I still want my Heavy Raptor Carrier...the missing Zen Raptor. :P
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I still want my Heavy Raptor Carrier...the missing Zen Raptor. :P

While Cryptic is in the process of adding Hangar Bays to more things, I propose that the B'Rel get a Hangar Bay. So it can launch... more B'Rels.

Same thing with the Defiant. Apparently a ship holding a transportation shuttle or two means it can support whole fighter squadrons and fighter wings. At least, that's the frame of thought of many these days. I'd like to see my Defiant also launch more Defiants.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    While Cryptic is in the process of adding Hangar Bays to more things, I propose that the B'Rel get a Hangar Bay. So it can launch... more B'Rels.

Same thing with the Defiant. Apparently a ship holding a transportation shuttle or two means it can support whole fighter squadrons and fighter wings. At least, that's the frame of thought of many these days. I'd like to see my Defiant also launch more Defiants.

Much like the Odyssey can launch an Aquarius pet, the Aquarius should be able to launch an Odyssey pet. Then folks can discuss chickens and eggs. :D
    edited April 2014
    Much like the Odyssey can launch an Aquarius pet, the Aquarius should be able to launch an Odyssey pet. Then folks can discuss chickens and eggs. :D

Actually, I'd pay to see the Aquarius drop that kind of egg.

"This... came out of... that?!?"

It is also the simulation of the Circle Of Life.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    No hangar bay.

This plz. I got a chance to test both during "First Contact Day" and was singularly unimpressed with the Aquarius.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The set recently got a buff with added turn rate and gw + bees on the chevron. The Aquarius pet got a buff for first contact day by adding beams to it. All it had before was a quantum, cannons, a phaser turret and a disruptor point defense console. Adding beams means it actually hits a target now all the time. Not saying it doesn't need more buffs but it has recently gotten a few.

Also, the GW has saved many a pug ISE for me. :) It's really nice.

Now if you want to compare the Aquarius to the Hoh'sus the Hoh'sus wins. It has quad disruptors, jump console to actually hit a target, THY2, APB2, and the auto cannon. It can actually take a shield facing down on it's own. The Hoh'sus pet even redistributes its shields to the forward shield.
    edited April 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    This plz. I got a chance to test both during "First Contact Day" and was singularly unimpressed with the Aquarius.

Buffing the Aquarius presents a bit of a dilemma, esp. when comparing the Odyssey & Bortasqu' in terms of balancing counterparts.

The Bortasqu's Hoh'Sus BOP essentially has the same ability as the Aquarius as far as "pets" go. However, the Bortasqu' 3 console bonus grants the potent but weaker version of the Disruptor Autocannon to the Hoh'Sus BOP pet as well as APB1. That's no problem, since the Hoh'Sus is the only thing that the Bortasqu' can launch.

The Odyssey though can launch 2 things... the Odyssey Saucer / Chevron and the Aquarius pet. Again, the Aquarius has the same basic ability as the Hoh'Sus. But the 3 set bonus grants the extra ability to the Saucer section (Worker Bees and a hefty GW3). Buffing the Aquarius will then grant even more total buffs than what the Bortasqu' does. Something else would have to give for the Odyssey bonus if you want a stronger Aquarius. Having 2 stronger pets vs the Bortasqu's single one isn't balanced.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't see a need for a revamp of the Oddys. Their BOFF layouts give them just about the best versatility you can get from a cruiser. A hangar could work, but I would still argue that its not a good idea to go around and slapping hangars on to everything that isn't top of the line powercreep anymore.

As for the Bortasqu, I'd like a shield modifier increase. To this day I don't understand why its 1.0 as opposed to 1.1 as it should be.

Because the Bortasqu has 1,500 more Hull than the Odyssey. That's typically how Cryptic does it -- KDF has more Hull, while FED has more Shields. This isn't always the case, but for the most part it holds true.

Whether or not you agree it's the right thing to do is another story. Shields are all-around far more valuable than Hull, leaving the KDF at a bit of a disadvantage there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hell no. The ship is plenty powerful if you know what you're doing. The dreadnaught never should have had a hangar in the first place, and it makes no sense to pit one on the odyssey. Is ship size your only argument for adding a hangar? Its actually really sad how dependant some players are getting on their little hangar pets. It seems that without them, most players are now incapable of playing. There's no reason why any of these ships should have hangers in the first place. If you really, really think about it, what possible damage could something that small do against a ship the same size as the one that launched it? Just stop. Enough ships have been ruined already. If you think the odyssey is too weak, then try harder, instead of running to the devs to make the game easier for you. Gods forbid you have to put a little effort in.
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hell, I would be happy if they just fixed the crew mechanic!
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    thratch1 wrote: »
    Because the Bortasqu has 1,500 more Hull than the Odyssey. That's typically how Cryptic does it -- KDF has more Hull, while FED has more Shields. This isn't always the case, but for the most part it holds true.

Whether or not you agree it's the right thing to do is another story. Shields are all-around far more valuable than Hull, leaving the KDF at a bit of a disadvantage there.

Fair enough. But when I look at battlecruisers in general it usually seems that they have better turn + DHC compatibility but lower hull. And really, the only reason why I'm bringing up the shield modifier is the fact that AFAIK all Fleet Klingon cruisers have 1.1. The Bortasqu is a strange exception amongst their 10 console battlecruisers. So not only does the "pride of the Klingon fleet" have a gimped cloak and a turn rate worse than Quonos but its shield is even thinner than that of a Fleet D7? lol

That said, the higher hull points are mostly irrelevant to me. A ship that is this heavy should have decent shields for tanking. Hull tanking doesn't really work outside of PVE.
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • kolbrandrkolbrandr Member Posts: 266
    edited April 2014
    Oddy is a good ship as it is. Maybe buff the Aquarius.

Does anybody ever get the feeling that when people ask for certain features to be added to their ships, that maybe these people should switch to another ship that is built for their desired playstyle?
  • ltdata96ltdata96 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Would be interesting if we could turn the aquarius-dock into a hangar

But seriously: it doesnt need one.

What really wouldn't hurt the ship are some extra HP (~1-2k), as well as the Bortas could IMO use a small shield buff (+0.05 maybe?). Just because they've fallen behind the newer faction ships a bit (and largely behind the Romulan ships).
  • saeynsaeyn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hell, I would be happy if they just fixed the crew mechanic!

Seconded. That would make the Oddy much more resilient without doing anything to the ship itself.
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kolbrandr wrote: »
    Oddy is a good ship as it is. Maybe buff the Aquarius.

Does anybody ever get the feeling that when people ask for certain features to be added to their ships, that maybe these people should switch to another ship that is built for their desired playstyle?
    Yes. Especially when they want something another ship has.
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hanger commands for the pets would be good without breaking anything
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ltdata96 wrote: »
    Would be interesting if we could turn the aquarius-dock into a hangar

But seriously: it doesnt need one.

What really wouldn't hurt the ship are some extra HP (~1-2k), as well as the Bortas could IMO use a small shield buff (+0.05 maybe?). Just because they've fallen behind the newer faction ships a bit (and largely behind the Romulan ships).

Since the FLEET Odyssey (which is also the one from the 2 year anniversary) doesn't have Saucer Sep or the Aquarius, but does have a second shuttlebay, I would like to see her treated as the Odyssey Star Carrier [1 Hangar slot]. It would still have 9 consoles. But, that way each of the 4 variants has a purpose.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • lazlarlazlar Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Arguably one of the most versatile cruisers in the game
    Capable of significant DPS without going overboard with min-maxing (I get 15k reliably running refracting tetryons)
    Capable of tanking like nobody's business
    Capable of being a potent science ship even without a CDR level sci slot

Really isn't in need of anything, period. It works, and if you think it doesn't work you need to rethink how you're flying it.

I will say that it would be NICE if the console set's 2/3 piece bonus was something a bit more substantial, so that there would be a larger draw to running the set.
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Galaxy Retrofit and Fleet Galaxy Retrofit need a buff first. Universal ensign. Maybe a fighter bay. Maybe a third tactical console. Odyssey is fine.
    edited April 2014
    Galaxy Retrofit and Fleet Galaxy Retrofit need a buff first. Universal ensign. Maybe a fighter bay. Maybe a third tactical console. Odyssey is fine.

The ship you're looking for is already in the game. It's called the Failaxy-X. It has EXACTLY the stuff you're looking for. It's pointless now for Cryptic to make the Failaxy a carbon copy of the Failaxy-X, because they were too close to begin with before the recent changes, and after it, they still are.
    XzRTofz.gif