test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Best Advice for avenger or vesta build

badome215badome215 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Federation Discussion
Hey Im A level 50 tac fed officer im trying to find the best set up to use for my avenger or vesta to use for grinding againist the borg or dyson one if anyone could help that be awesome

and also what i should put on my bridge officers

this is the avenger
Lieutenant Universal
Lieutenant Commander Tactical
Ensign Tactical
Commander Engineering
Lieutenant Science

here is the rec vesta
Lieutenant Commander Universal
Ensign Universal
Lieutenant Tactical
Lieutenant Engineering
Commander Science

ps i dont have money for antiproton stuff
Post edited by badome215 on

Comments

• reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Depends on what playstyle you like, as they are two remarkably different ships. More info about what you like is needed.
  • coffeemikecoffeemike Member Posts: 942 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Take a look at my tac Vesta Class build in my sig. Instead of AP, try phasers first.

Or wait til Season 9 launches and get MK XI purple Antiproton beams from one of the remade Undine missions.
  • badome215badome215 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    more or less I like to attack
  • coffeemikecoffeemike Member Posts: 942 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    For either ship, you need to compensate for the fact your a tac captain and need heals.

Vesta priorities in my opinion:
    1) Kill everyone first
    2) Survive via shield and hull heals/resists
    3) Some crowd control via Gravity Well

Avenger priorities would be:
    1) Kill everyone first
    2) Survive via shield & hull heals/resists
    3) Allocate sci to match either 1 or 2

With the Avenger, you have high hull plus access to higher tac BOFF abilities. But you sacrifice science so you have to adjust accordingly. The Fleet version is the same BOFF setup but more hull and shields plus a 10th console for sci. Still, the same logic would apply for the sci BOFF seats when you assign them. The funny thing about the Avenger is that it can mount 8 weapons... which is nice but watch the power drain. It was annoying to manage that when flying the Fleet Avenger. But man, can you tank more in this ship. Having efficient & human BOFFs slotted adds spare energy in all 4 subsystems plus humans help heal. Though I also slotted Rom tac BOFFs for the Crit Chance & Crit Sev. Those are very nice on the Avenger. The last BOFF setup was 2 ROM BOFFs, 2 efficient BOFFs, 1 human BOFF.

On the Vesta, you have access to very high sci BOFF abilities but you have less hull & less engineering abilities avail unless you slot an eng BOFF for the Lt. Cmd. slot. But you give up the higher tac abilities. Yet the sci goodies are nice... really nice. Going with this ship means your lower sci BOFF abilities should go to shield/hull heals & resists. You can't tank like an engineer with Miracle Worker and the trait that makes it very short cool downs. The higher sci abilities can go towards crowd control cuz you need to just suck everyone in a GW and blow them up. When it comes to BOFFs, I use 2 efficent ones, 2, ROM tac ones, 1 human one- just like my last Avenger setup.

I'd say put your current build ideas on STO Academy but put your current real skill points, rep system levels, and your DOFF/BOFF setup. It helps fig out how much work we are working with.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Reconaissance Vesta (4 tac / 4 sci consoles)

MACO Set. The Borg 2 piece & Elite Fleet Shields combo still will work here.

Favorite Warp Core, but one that boosts Aux Power and max Aux Power. Obelisk Warp Core is a decent one, esp. since it raises the max Aux Power considerably. Also, a Warp Core that goes Aux Power to Shield Power would be a wonderful alternative.

WEAPONS FWD: Aux Phasers x2, Dyson Grav Torp
    WEAPONS AFT: Experimental Proton Weapon, Phaser Turret, Nukara Mine

CONSOLES - MACO set is quite strong defensively and the deflector gives a modest Gravity Genetrators Skill bonus. The idea is to further provide a bit more Gravity Generators Skill but an emphasis on Particle Generators Skill.

ENG: Proton Particle Stabilizer, 1 Vesta Console

SCI: 1 strong Gravity Generators Skill source & 1 strong Particle Generators Skill source, OR 2 strong Particle Generators Skill sources, 2 Vesta Consoles
    - Gravity Gens determines strength of Gravity Well pull.
    - Particle Gens determines strength of science based dmg effects, namely the "rifts" from the Dyson Torps for this build.
    - If using high Gravity Gens Deflector like Borg Deflector, then I'd suggest 2 strong Particle Generators Skill sources.

TAC: Whatever mix of Phaser & Photon TAC Consoles / variants you prefer, throw in Plasmonic Leech to make yourself feel better if you want.

BOFF Stations:

TAC Lt: TT1

ENG Lt: EPTS1, ASIF1

SCI Cmdr: PH1, TSS2, HE3, GW3

Universal LtCdr (TAC)
    : TT1, CSV1, TS3

Universal Ens (ENG)
    : EPTS1

General Power Settings: Max the living hell out of Aux Power. Next priority is Shields, then Engines, Weapons the bare minimum you can do.

Play Philosophy: The build is ideal in clearing out large groups of ships all by your lonesome if needed. Gravity Well 3 + TS3 with the Dyson Torp has a good chance to literally wipe out a wave of NPCs within a few seconds. GW groups them, TS3 launches a slew of Dyson Torps into the ball of ships, then if the Rifts proc, they're done.

I stuffed in the Vesta Consoles. Frankly, the Vesta set is outstanding, IMO and by far the most useful ship-specific sets that you can get. You have emergency heal, emergency resists, and a phaser attack that is strong against single targets (this build is more in for dealing with groups of NPCs quickly). It's saved my Vesta's bacon many times over.

Also, though the ENG choices are minimal, it's more than enough. With Shield Power being the 2nd priority, combining cycling EPTS1 will keep them strong.

Next, since Aux Power is prioritized and at very high levels, any ability that feeds off Aux Power will be juiced up like a steroid-ridden athlete. Simple ASIF1, PH1, TSS2, HE3, and GW3 will be performing well. ASIF, TSS, HE3 will grant significant heals as well as resists. Combine that with popping a PH1 when you need resists "NAU" and you have a resilient Sci Vessel that has no armor consoles. You're relying on your abilities with high Aux Power to get you those resists, as well as the abilities from the Vesta Consoles.

This very quick, down & dirty build brings offense, CC, and resiliency in the same build. Your CC and area offensive ability will be useful in Fleet Alerts, SB24, or any STFs where you need to deal with lots of targets by hindering their movement and taking them down.

The Avenger will bring you immense firepower and survivability.

The Vesta, due to its unique nature (Aux Cannons), can bring you firepower, survivability, and the CC that any group will thank you for, esp. if you decide to PUG it.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have the Eng version of the Vesta, simply because the extra eng. console lets me add a fleet neutronium with + hull HP so i can compensate for the low hull the ship has.

I use similar build to warmaker, aux cannons plus grav torp. Excellent for crowd control and hoovering up bad guys.

Aux cannons let you max out your aux power and most of your weapon output is from aux power so you don't need weapon power so high. High aux = better sci powers.

Use the highest grav well boff skill you can get hold of and then conbine this with at least 6pts in grav gens and 6 pts in particle gens. Also got a MACO deflector for the boosts to grav gens and it boosts your hull HP and shield HP too.

Attack patttern Alpha & Beta, drop grav well. Open up with cannon scatter and then fire off torp spread.
    This will kill pretty much an entire group of small-medium sized npcs in seconds. If you want to see what it does try it in the Azure Nebula Rescue, you can wipe out a whole group of Tholians in your first pass.

I also have the plasmonic leech as it means i can effectively set aux power max and then ignore the other 3 power level as with decent outgoing fire my power levels are getting higher and higher anyway.

Get a warp core that adds a % of aux to whatever power you feel you need next as with max aux you will get a good bonus out of it.

Even if you can't kill everything with the amount of crowd control you can throw out and the amount of team heals you can put out too you will hep the team as a whole. Having all the enemy in one grav well helps the rest of the team kill them easier. Your heal powers will keep the guys who are in the thick of it alive and therefore help the team.

Hanger pets are really a nice bonus and should be used to supplement whatever playstyle you like. You can set the off to just attack you target or get them to guard you or a friendly. I set then to attack and let them buzz round cubes or whatever. They are small enough to be ignored if bigger ships are in play too but they will slowly wear down even the biggest target.

Edit: soon there will be secondary deflectors for all sci ships too so they will boost any science playstyle you follow as well.
    SulMatuul.png