test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Two and a half GB patch?

dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
edited April 2014 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
I just exited the game and the login window popped up and started patching 2474 MB. Anyone else getting this? What is it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited April 2014
  • dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I see. Thanks.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I know the pre-patch has started, but why do some people keep saying they are downloading 2474MB? I know that it's just patching, the actual download will be smaller than the amount of files patched, but mine shows 4855MB to be patched?

Why the difference in download/patch size?

And no, I don't have Tribble installed. If that's the only reason then perhaps I'll do a copy/paste Tribble install to save some time.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    iamynaught wrote: »
    I know the pre-patch has started, but why do some people keep saying they are downloading 2474MB? I know that it's just patching, the actual download will be smaller than the amount of files patched, but mine shows 4855MB to be patched?

And no, I don't have Tribble installed. If that's the only reason then perhaps I'll do a copy/paste Tribble install to save some time.

That is only the first time. After that, the launcher will not patch anything.

About the size, knowing how cryptic works, maybe half of it is just junk or TRIBBLE, or bad code. Who knows.
  • sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    iamynaught wrote: »

It will vary depending if you enable or disable on demand patching.

Patching TRIBBLE will speed up your download on S9 by transferring files from tribble to your holodeck install.
  • darthwoodarthwoo Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The irritating thing about this patch, at least for people with not-so-great bandwidth, is that unlike most previous patches, it won't resume where it left off if you end it before it's finished. I've let it run to half a GB, but had to shut it off to do something else, and when I got around to playing again and later exited, the patch started right back at the beginning. Hopefully it won't be that way when it's official, otherwise I'm going to be sitting around for 8 hours with my network completely congested.
  • zuigje010zuigje010 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The reason why people downloading 2.5 gig of the pre patch and others 5gig
    is because of your launcher options.

Start STO launcher, go to options, there you can see the option called On-demand patching.
    Normally this is always selected.

When you deselect it you will download everything and when you select it you only download half.
    Personally I have it unchecked so I download everything, if you have selected it you will most of the time be patching in the game while zoning in maps when doing missions etc.
    You will see, left ontop, during a loading screen that you are patching.

Hope this helps.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Okay, that makes perfect sense then. I have on demand patching off, so I download everything to speed up zone loading. I don't know why it never occurred to me.

Thanks for the beacon of knowledge.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • blackcrow8ublackcrow8u Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I and possibly others will be asking where can we manually down load the patch.

Please, can someone that has any sense that works at this game make a repository for downloading patches when they are just too frigging long in the tooth.

We don't want to spend 5 hours in patching when a down load will take 1/2 an hour and possibly another hour to patch locally.
  • blackcrow8ublackcrow8u Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    darthwoo wrote: »
    The irritating thing about this patch, at least for people with not-so-great bandwidth, is that unlike most previous patches, it won't resume where it left off if you end it before it's finished. I've let it run to half a GB, but had to shut it off to do something else, and when I got around to playing again and later exited, the patch started right back at the beginning. Hopefully it won't be that way when it's official, otherwise I'm going to be sitting around for 8 hours with my network completely congested.

I have done the same, got to about 6% after 2 hours.

If something like a long patch bogs down my RL then what good is it.