test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #5: Changes to Reputation Powers

Comments

• snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    these are two different abilities. the activatable is only for finding anomolies & waypoints and has no combat application.

Wow. So we've gone two factors of misunderstanding awry.

The poster, as they reply above, was talking about sensor analysis, the Science Ship innate power that up until this season has been a passive boost to damage.

The first mistake was someone mistook that for Sensor Scan, the Science Captain ability that is a clickable power.

You're talking about something completely different that every ship has.

:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Yeah , but unlike the last STF Dil nerf (S.7) , I don't think this fandom has what it takes to make a change like we did back then .
    Too many payed posters , too many "DOOOOOMMM!!!" posters who just get a kick of seeing the forums burn and ppl arguing with each other . :(

This will be just another nerf that passes like the Bonus Hour nerf , the Tour of the Galaxy nerf and everything elses in the last 2.5 seasons .

Can I say that I love your signature?

Yeah... there will be a load of rage. Doubt Cryptic will care though.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    kaeaja wrote: »
    Uhhh im not talking about Sensor Scan, im talking about SENSOR ANALYSIS its the innate passive ability on every Science Ship that after a few moments if your locked onto an enemy you deal more and more damage to em as it stacks up to 10 stacks, THAT was a passive effect for Science Ships now they are making it into an ability you have to activate manually. Sensor Scan and Sensor Analysis are two different things.

My mistake. For some reason I didn't even notice the two powers and I assumed they had edited sensor scan (not sure how I missed that in my power list considering they are right next to each other) for the new functionality.

Either way, I don't mind the change. It has benefits over the old system in that it can also affect healing abilities for allies, and it doesn't lose all built stacks if you go more than 10Km away from your target like the old passive ability did.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • chiselheadchiselhead Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    me likey, but ... oh boy this will be a good thread

edit--I think this is an important first step towards getting power under control. The power band is simply too wide at end-game. PVE content cannot be designed around median players when the power band is so wide, and PVP suffers from newbies getting steamrolled and never coming back. And as some people have pointed out, the buffed powers mean that this isn't really doing anything to roll back the power creep at all, since people with the desirable reps will be hitting even harder relative to fresh 50. But, it is putting a cap on future creep, and that is an important first step. I sincerely hope they dial it down more later. The power band needs to be radically compressed to have any hope of designing content that is suitable for a wide range of players.

and why would anyone want to continue to play to acchive any goals they might have if they constantly keep getting these things taken away, simply put there is no quick fix lots of folks are going to be upset especially players that have been playing a long time, it just makes no sence to me to make older players suffer for the benifit of the new players because they want to be on an even playing field, and seriously it doesn't take a whole lot of effort to achive the goal of gaining the reputation in any of the 4 reputations, all this is going to do for me is help me dislike the new players even more, and I'm not alone
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I just don't like the thought of all the hard work players have done to their ships and now we have to play around with our powers again. I was playing in tribble and I saw alot of changes. One thing that gets me is in the holdeck server I could get all my weapons with Beam Overload III to 28282. I went into tribble and I see my weapons power has decrease to 26697 with Beam Overload III. Not fair if I saw so myself. Unless I am missing something. If I can't my stuff back to what it was or within close proxmity to it. I think after three years on the game I might just call it quits.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • chiselheadchiselhead Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    monodoso wrote: »
    I just don't like the thought of all the hard work players have done to their ships and now we have to play around with our powers again. I was playing in tribble and I saw alot of changes. One thing that gets me is in the holdeck server I could get all my weapons with Beam Overload III to 28282. I went into tribble and I see my weapons power has decrease to 26697 with Beam Overload III. Not fair if I saw so myself. Unless I am missing something. If I can't my stuff back to what it was or within close proxmity to it. I think after three years on the game I might just call it quits.

Yes I feel your pain it isn't fair to take something away that not only has been freely offered but also bought and paid for with your investment of time in the game. I also don't think it is quite fair since it seems to be targeting the players that have been around for a while, I also don't see an issue with new players going after these same powers from reputation either and in fact they should thats why it was put there in the first place and it should also be clear that it doesn't take 3 years to aquire these powers from reputation either, it doesn't take long at all. I've been back in the game for 3 months after being absent for 18 months, I was absent because I felt cheated with some of the past adjustments they've made, and since I've been back I have nearly aquired all of the reputation powers without putting a whole lot of time or effort into it so I fail to see why this is even an issue. Maybe they should try to put in place a mentoring system for the players who fail to be able to achive these goals themselves, I'm sure there are a lot of the caring types out there who would jump at this if it were offered. Just sayin
  • lizgibbslizgibbs Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jbw32 wrote: »
    I put a lot of time and effort into the reputation tiers. When I chose to do it I believed it was worth the effort. Now it looks like my time would of been better spent focusing on other things. This was a very tedious grind back when I did it, and it's frustrating to see all that effort undermined. "Power creep" is just another way of saying "reasons for longtime players to continue playing".

I have been a member since the beginning of STO and have ground out many hours of game play and real $$ for the improvement of all my characters. I agree with the quote above as to Cryptics loyalty to those of us who have stuck around. As for the changes making PvP more even Yeah right like that is gonna happen all this has done is make the game less desirible to play for those of us who don't PvP.
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    lizgibbs wrote: »
    I have been a member since the beginning of STO and have ground out many hours of game play and real $$ for the improvement of all my characters. I agree with the quote above as to Cryptics loyalty to those of us who have stuck around. As for the changes making PvP more even Yeah right like that is gonna happen all this has done is make the game less desirible to play for those of us who don't PvP.

Yeah, but they gave us a new shiny ESD.
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, but they gave us a new shiny ESD.

Meh so for a new shiny spacedock you forgive all the bad decisions they are making for Season 9 the rep power nerf is as bad a the attempted dil nerf of season 7. I for one don't care much for season 9 so much that I may not even log on after the launch as I normally do as I cant be bothered with the game that much.

So keep the shiny spacedock I probably won't even use it unless a mission is needed there.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nakedcrooknakedcrook Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    251 Pages...100 000 views...

Cryptic...you made a huge mistake and you refuse to acknowledge it. From this point on, I am going to call Season 9 "The Cryptic TRIBBLE Job"...because the reputation nerf was just that...a TRIBBLE job for people who have invested a lot of time and effort into maxing your BORING, REPETITIVE, and GRIND INFESTED reps.

I can assure you that I will never do the Undine rep. In fact, for me, The Cryptic TRIBBLE Job has diminished my interest in STO down to "two minutes a day to make sure my fleet has slotted projects"

I really hope the player base makes thew devs pay for this. Nothing would please me more than to see a decline in revenue as a result of The Cryptic TRIBBLE Job. Punishing the player base for doing your tedious grinds should be the last straw. It certainly was the last straw for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you oppose the Reputation nerf, feel free to use my signature
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    nakedcrook wrote: »
    251 Pages...100 000 views...

Cryptic...you made a huge mistake and you refuse to acknowledge it. From this point on, I am going to call Season 9 "The Cryptic TRIBBLE Job"...because the reputation nerf was just that...a TRIBBLE job for people who have invested a lot of time and effort into maxing your BORING, REPETITIVE, and GRIND INFESTED reps.

^^ This. So very this. I was more thinking of this alternative title, though:

Season 9: The Desolation of Hawk
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Season 9 sounds so much better in German ... .

Just sayn' . ;)
  • redwolf100869redwolf100869 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This is TRIBBLE! All the work I have done over the last two years improving my character and it all gets wiped away! Sorry but new lvl 50 that haven't put in the time should not be as powerful as I am. I earned all of that, got my TRIBBLE kicked until it doesn't get kicked anymore, except by someone who can kick it. This is just the cult of everyone wins taking over in here too. THIS DID NOT NEED CHAnGING, NORMAL DIFFICULTY IS FOR LESS DEVELOPED CHARACTERS! I know let's give everone a trophy too, that should help with the whining!
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »

He smells your reputation, hobbitses, and will poke its powers out!
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • rockkrawler84rockkrawler84 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This is total BS! Put the Rep system back! Listen to your customers. We worked hard to earn that rep and now it's totally pointless!:mad:
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Welcome to Season 9!
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I spoke out for a while against the rep changes but in practice today I kind of liked it. Frankly the only ones that seem to do anything for me are shield regen and nukara aux power offense. My stats indicate significantly higher crit chance and damage but I don't see it in the results.

Before I had 3 defense and 1 offense. Now I have 3 offense and 1 defense. I feel just as sturdy and seem to do a very similar amount of damage.

As I suspected these powers contribute almost nothing to powercreep problems.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• kurgan2001kurgan2001 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This is total BS! Put the Rep system back! Listen to your customers. We worked hard to earn that rep and now it's totally pointless!:mad:

This. So much this. Grinding and grinding to up the rep and get the powers / equipment and now, NOW it's nerfed. This is just idiocy.:mad:
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I couldnt have said it better myself, its not so much the other stuff as it is (I think) people feeling like they have been robbed. I worked for a long time on those traits. It might not seem that bad for someone who hasnt been playing long and only has 1 or 2 characters, but alot of veterans out there have 5 characters and up. It could also be that you guys dont understand completely how much this really means to us. This is actually bigger than people wanting a redone Galaxy-X , yes bigger that that. CRYPTIC this could possible be the ONE time. that changeing something ingame to please its players would cause such a positive feedback that it would energize its player base. It would make us feel like, Damn, they do care. Don't leave these traits at simple 4 space,4 ground. Change it to 8/8. IT WILL BE GOOD AND THE RIGHT THING TO DO. Please think about ?
    edited April 2014
    Everybody playing the game is gonna pick the 4% crit. Everyboy thats got a pulse. so that leaves 3 space, not a big choice. I feel sick.
    edited April 2014
    Kind of, kind of not. We're improving almost every single Rep power across the board from a PvE standpoint, bringing them up to the new standard of "How strong should a Reputation Trait power be?" You will have fewer powers now, but each of them will be more impactful than individual powers were before.

I messed around for a few hours mixing builds and i came nowhere near my old Dps. If the trait's stats have been increased. Id say sto has rep bug or something cause numbers just are not adding up.
    edited April 2014
    I spoke out for a while against the rep changes but in practice today I kind of liked it. Frankly the only ones that seem to do anything for me are shield regen and nukara aux power offense. My stats indicate significantly higher crit chance and damage but I don't see it in the results.

Before I had 3 defense and 1 offense. Now I have 3 offense and 1 defense. I feel just as sturdy and seem to do a very similar amount of damage.

As I suspected these powers contribute almost nothing to powercreep problems.

I have to agree with that (*cue on coming storm of hate*). When the changes were first announced I was pretty annoyed, even at first when testing on Tribble I noticed a drop in DPS and hull strength. But once they made species traits changeable at any time, I noticed a DPS increase and hull strength increase to pre season 9 stats because I'm now able to adapt my traits for space or ground combat.

When running space missions, I use only space traits from my species trait list. That more than makes up for the minuscule amount of power I lost from the old rep passives.

Once people get used to switching their traits around instead of having a 'blanket build' that they use for everything, I'm sure more people will stop complaining about the changes and start embracing them. It does actually give us more options to better manage our characters. Now if only skill points could be changed without a respec token too, that'd be great hahaha.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have to agree with that (*cue on coming storm of hate*). When the changes were first announced I was pretty annoyed, even at first when testing on Tribble I noticed a drop in DPS and hull strength. But once they made species traits changeable at any time, I noticed a DPS increase and hull strength increase to pre season 9 stats because I'm now able to adapt my traits for space or ground combat.

When running space missions, I use only space traits from my species trait list. That more than makes up for the minuscule amount of power I lost from the old rep passives.

Once people get used to switching their traits around instead of having a 'blanket build' that they use for everything, I'm sure more people will stop complaining about the changes and start embracing them. It does actually give us more options to better manage our characters. Now if only skill points could be changed without a respec token too, that'd be great hahaha.

Well, good for you. I'm glad the OCD micromanagers are happy with these changes, that's one group off the list Cryptic/PWE. :rolleyes:
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
    edited April 2014
    Well, good for you. I'm glad the OCD micromanagers are happy with these changes, that's one group off the list Cryptic/PWE. :rolleyes:

I see the passive aggressive players are still on the list. :P
  • solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I see the passive aggressive players are still on the list. :P
    Lol, touch
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • executiveoneexecutiveone Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    hyefather wrote: »
    I couldnt have said it better myself, its not so much the other stuff as it is (I think) people feeling like they have been robbed. I worked for a long time on those traits. It might not seem that bad for someone who hasnt been playing long and only has 1 or 2 characters, but alot of veterans out there have 5 characters and up. It could also be that you guys dont understand completely how much this really means to us. This is actually bigger than people wanting a redone Galaxy-X , yes bigger that that. CRYPTIC this could possible be the ONE time. that changeing something ingame to please its players would cause such a positive feedback that it would energize its player base. It would make us feel like, Damn, they do care. Don't leave these traits at simple 4 space,4 ground. Change it to 8/8. IT WILL BE GOOD AND THE RIGHT THING TO DO. Please think about ?

As one of the newer players Cryptic is purportedly trying to help, I concur fully with this sentiment. Capping the traits at 8/8 would solve the scalability problem and relieve the impression that hard-won rewards are being taken away.

Granted, power creep is still a problem for players as new as I am. But the solution to that is to become more powerful, not to take away what veterans have earned.
  • warlockx1warlockx1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Apparently don't collect several of these at once without opening the boxes. It appears to confuse the hell out of the game as I claimed two Omegas "Hourly and Daily" as well as the Daily for the Dyson.
    Only had one Omega box .... then 10 minutes later while setting up the next Omega Daily I get the second one.

Still can't locate my Dyson reward box.

*shrug*
This discussion has been closed.