test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Defense Cap?

sdominickkanesdominickkane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Federation Discussion
I've Been gone from STO for a long time and I'm a returning player and have a question about Defense:

Instead of going for high resistance and shields I've decided to go to something I feel suits the ship better. Defense. With 2 MkII +40% turn consoles, the borg console and Armor in the Eng slots. Cloaking device & -60% threat in the science and all other equipment and power levels focused on maximizing defense.

For space combat. In my Defiant (refit) I seem to be stuck at 90% defense that I cant seem to push beyond - unless I cloak then it goes to 140%.

Have I capped it? What is the innate hit% of NPCs?
Red Squad Dominick Kane
USS Arrow-B, Defiant Class.
Post edited by sdominickkane on

Comments

• Options
    ltdata96ltdata96 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I've Been gone from STO for a long time and I'm a returning player and have a question about Defense:

Instead of going for high resistance and shields I've decided to go to something I feel suits the ship better. Defense. With 2 MkII +40% turn consoles, the borg console and Armor in the Eng slots. Cloaking device & -60% threat in the science and all other equipment and power levels focused on maximizing defense.

For space combat. In my Defiant (refit) I seem to be stuck at 90% defense that I cant seem to push beyond - unless I cloak then it goes to 140%.

Have I capped it? What is the innate hit% of NPCs?

Basically the Defense value runs against the Enemy's Accuracy value. As far as i know the least possible accuracy value is 25% (though i might be wrong, so feel free to correct me) what means that more defense (at least in PvE where the hostiles do not work with acc bonuses) it makes no sense to go that high in defense.
    As for the defense value itself, idk if there's a cap on it or something, apparently there is, just have no clue why and how much.

Edit: As for the NPCs i think their initial accuracy is 100%, so defense has a huge effect, though i've heard something about ACC and Defense not working right on NPCs

That's how i got it, pls correct me if i'm wrong!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    ltdata96 wrote: »
    Basically the Defense value runs against the Enemy's Accuracy value. As far as i know the least possible accuracy value is 25% (though i might be wrong, so feel free to correct me) what means that more defense (at least in PvE where the hostiles do not work with acc bonuses) it makes no sense to go that high in defense.
    As for the defense value itself, idk if there's a cap on it or something, apparently there is, just have no clue why and how much.

That's how i got it, pls correct me if i'm wrong!

I should also point out this is mainly an experiment of mine; the results look encouraging - I am seeing a lot of "miss" hovering hover my ship lately and anything that does hit in between is quickly taken care of by natural regen and Boff abilities. I'm not sure how it works; however, I would like to push this experiment of mine further if possible. :confused:

on an aesthetic note: It just feels so much better to fly this tiny thing like a fighter jet than a tallship. I would like to see if it's viable.
    Red Squad Dominick Kane
  • Options
    ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    RCS consoles affect turn rate, not your speed. Higher speed provides higher defense rating, though it doesn't take shield and hull resistances to energy weapons and kinetic damage into account. If you aren't using it already, try using EPTE in engineering BOFF settings, to boost speed. Aux to dampeners can help adding a little speed and kinetic resistances too, but only slightly. With the right DOFF, aux to dampeners lasts longer and adds energy resistance too. Not a lot of engineering or science options on the defiant, though.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    ryakidrys wrote: »
    RCS consoles affect turn rate, not your speed. Higher speed provides higher defense rating, though it doesn't take shield and hull resistances to energy weapons and kinetic damage into account. If you aren't using it already, try using EPTE in engineering BOFF settings, to boost speed. Aux to dampeners can help adding a little speed and kinetic resistances too, but only slightly. With the right DOFF, aux to dampeners lasts longer and adds energy resistance too. Not a lot of engineering or science options on the defiant, though.

Yeah the other-than-tactical options on a Defiant leave very little room for full customization. Im running at a base 15 power to shields so when the DO get hit, I need them back - fast. So I run with EPTS, Engineering Team, Science team. I might have some room to do something else; however, I'd have to be very careful about it. I am currently running 2 MkXII fleet RCS consoles, and turn @ 50.1 deg/sec. I am satisfied with that. Wondering though if its possible to push more defense and if an expert out there knows if it's worth it?

I have to say though, the -60% threat science console from the fleet vendor is a godsend. I love it.
    Red Squad Dominick Kane
  • Options
    ltdata96ltdata96 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yeah the other-than-tactical options on a Defiant leave very little room for full customization. Im running at a base 15 power to shields so when the DO get hit, I need them back - fast. So I run with EPTS, Engineering Team, Science team. I might have some room to do something else; however, I'd have to be very careful about it. I am currently running 2 MkXII fleet RCS consoles, and turn @ 50.1 deg/sec. I am satisfied with that. Wondering though if its possible to push more defense and if an expert out there knows if it's worth it?

I have to say though, the -60% threat science console from the fleet vendor is a godsend. I love it.

Well, as you are in a Defiant with its limited defensive capabilities it's hard to improve survivability.

It would help if you could post a build of your ship you we can find out the weak points.
    Other than that, have you ever considered flying it as an Engineering captain? IMO the combo Defiant + Engy rocks, you can have great survivability and still retain most of your firepower ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    At this very moment: this. I've gone back to the Aegis array because it just seems to work really well what what I'm trying to achieve. Though I do possess most of the other sets.

Also never-mind the green Tac consoles, I only recently switched from Anti-proton from phasers :P

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=dominickkane1_0
    Red Squad Dominick Kane
  • Options
    dragonsbitedragonsbite Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hit chance is base 100% for everything. There is no cap to hit chance nor defense except that there is a cap to the minimum hit chance and that's 25%. Defense lowers your hit chance and accuracy increases it. The minimum hit chance is 25% no matter how much defense you have. If you're trying to cap defense vs an NPC this would require 300% defense to lower their hit chance to 25%. fyi at 90% defense their hit chance is 53%. At 140% defense their hit chance is 42%. So no you have not capped it. Get to 300% defense and you will have capped their hit chance at 25% vs an NPC. This is assuming they don't have any accuracy and tbh i don't think they do.
    U.S. ARMY CAVALRY SCOUT/DRAGOON DISABLED VETERAN
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Hit chance is base 100% for everything. There is no cap to hit chance nor defense except that there is a cap to the minimum hit chance and that's 25%. Defense lowers your hit chance and accuracy increases it. The minimum hit chance is 25% no matter how much defense you have. If you're trying to cap defense vs an NPC this would require 300% defense to lower their hit chance to 25%. fyi at 90% defense their hit chance is 53%. At 140% defense their hit chance is 42%. So no you have not capped it. Get to 300% defense and you will have capped their hit chance at 25% vs an NPC. This is assuming they don't have any accuracy and tbh i don't think they do.

Thanks for the info; but why the two sets of numbers? (by cryptic I mean)
    Red Squad Dominick Kane
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Acc vs. Def - DOOOOOOODGE

Resistances - Armor

The first one flat out hit or miss

The second one is how much damage you take if youre hit.

Simple enough concept, you need both. There is no way to force something to always miss you, so youd better be mitigating the damage that WILL get through.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Since you are running one EPTS, you'll really want to consider getting 2 or 3 damage control engineer DOFFs to reduce the recharge on EPTx abilities to get the damage resistance cycling as often as possible (30 seconds) as well as the shield heals it provides. Since you said shield power was already low, consider a warp core engineer to boost power levels when using EPTx abilities. You probably run with minimal aux power and use the hazard emitters to stop plasma burn with engineering team healing the hull. Consider a doff to reduce the recharge on engineering team.

As for surviveability, the new solanae set has some decent shield boosts and is easily available if you run the "Step between stars" mission a few times to get the set. The MK XI assimilated set is even better than the MK XII Solanae set right now when it comes to cruisers and tanking, but it's due to get a modification soon that may change how well the assimilated set works.

I hope that helps.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    ryakidrys wrote: »
    Since you are running one EPTS, you'll really want to consider getting 2 or 3 damage control engineer DOFFs to reduce the recharge on EPTx abilities to get the damage resistance cycling as often as possible (30 seconds) as well as the shield heals it provides. Since you said shield power was already low, consider a warp core engineer to boost power levels when using EPTx abilities. You probably run with minimal aux power and use the hazard emitters to stop plasma burn with engineering team healing the hull. Consider a doff to reduce the recharge on engineering team.

As for surviveability, the new solanae set has some decent shield boosts and is easily available if you run the "Step between stars" mission a few times to get the set. The MK XI assimilated set is even better than the MK XII Solanae set right now when it comes to cruisers and tanking, but it's due to get a modification soon that may change how well the assimilated set works.

I hope that helps.

Thanks! I haven't even thought about the DOFFs. :)
    Red Squad Dominick Kane
  • Options
    disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    you know.. there are the energy signature dampener consoles from he dyson rep.

They give a flat boost to defense among other things.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus