test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Junior Officer Appreciation Weekend (Now Ended)

Comments

• worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    No, it's intentional. This was how the original Academy hourly event was, but back then, the prize was 480, 640 and 960 dil for 15, 30 and... 60 particles? And you had to get all of them in an hour.

This isn't a grind, this is generous

*twitches at thought of old particle event*

Yeah, that was the only hourly event that I was NOT sorry in any way to see go. The others...I really had to see the replacements before I could really feel better, but as soon as the particle event was gone I cheered. That old thing was SUCH a grind...
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    jheinig wrote: »
    This mission is essentially set up so that you can decide how much you want to sink time into it, until you get the reward that you want. When you complete scanning 5 particles, you're eligible to earn a random common DOFF. As you finishing scanning more particles, you'll qualify for increasingly better random DOFFs. The DOFF's branch depends on the branch of the cadet that you chose to mentor, so you can decide if you want an Engineering, Science, or Tactical branch DOFF.

Once you've reached the quality level that you like by scanning enough particles, you turn in the particle results to Prof. Meyer or Cmdr. B'Tama and get the DOFF in return. The mission then has a 20-hour cooldown.
    If you scan some particles but don't decide to turn in the mission, don't fret -- the stabilized particles will remain in your inventory for the whole event, so you can come back later to do more scanning if you're intent on picking up that very rare DOFF.

So, if you scan lots of particles, you could potentially pick up a very rare DOFF every day during the event. If you're more of a casual player, you can drop in to scan some particles a few times each day and then pick up a great DOFF at the end, or pick up some more common DOFFs each day with a smaller number of scans.

Great clarification, thank you!

I shall aim to get one purple doff on each of my 14 characters then. Since I can pick it up on them all today and then just potter around doing a little each day on them all to complete it. :)
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • internetonsetaddinternetonsetadd Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I was happy to boot the old hourly Academy event down the stairs when it left, because it was terrible. After getting 25 consecutive insta-collapsed particles one time, I never went back.

An ostensibly fun event mini-game shouldn't take 30-45 minutes. It just shouldn't. I don't care what the reward is. It's a blatant and totally unnecessary waste of people's time.

You really should have dialed down the rate of insta-collapse before reviving this thing. Putting grindy, depressing, RSI-inducing drags into your events is not the way to keep people entertained and happy in between seasons.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    atlmykl wrote: »
    How about for this event adding a mission at new romulus to trade the foreign dogs infesting my ship for upstanding romulans of the same quality and same job. Knowing most romulan ship are 90% fed or kdf really irks me.

That actually falls in line with the storyline. Romulus is gone. The population was devestated. The Republic is being buoyed by either the federation or the KDF depending on your in-game choice.

I can see your ship being filled with their people.

Though, setting that aside, I would support your idea to be able to exchange those DOFFs for Romulan/Reman DOFFs.

So I like your idea. But I do see some storyline merit in there being Romulan ship crews filled with allied forces.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spookpwaspookpwa Member Posts: 315 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If one chose back when Mayor tells what you get from the amount of tracer you gathered two things happens:
    1) all traces are gone and cool down starts.
    2) You do NOT get a Doff. :mad:

Just for record it is ******* stupid not to have Mayor telling you how many tracers you need. I missed the link to the blog to check that, hence trying to use the back option in conversation.

It is a ******* mind boggling boring job to gather tracers with academy filled with players doing it. :rolleyes:

How about a FUN event for a change, that would be interesting. :P
    (just for the record I actually enjoyed the winter event, but not so overwhelmed by the rest)
    Double_e23652_217093.jpg

A test server is supposed to be used to properly test patches before patching anything....
  • czertik123czertik123 Member Posts: 1,122 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    how to get that klingon doff ? speaking to stass at klingon academy dont bring that option.
    edited April 2014
    czertik123 wrote: »
    how to get that klingon doff ? speaking to stass at klingon academy dont bring that option.

--Talk to S'tass.

--Select the mission "Reinforcements" from his offered missions.

--Talk to the Lethean who is standing next to the Klingon personnel officer.

--Ensure that you have room for the doff.

--Get free doff and enjoy your new PVP domination.
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This isn't a grind, this is generous
    Oh gee, thank you Cryptic for allowing us to run around the academy full of collapsed particles for half an hour in order to get this one random duty officer. So generous of you...

Now excuse me, I'm going back to do some Officer Exchange/Asylum/Prisoner Exchange/Instigate Defection/Flight Training/Support/Renown missions around sector space for a much easier way of obtaining random doffs.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well CXP is a welcome bonus event. During the recent Bonus XP Event I took an Andorian Engineer from 0 to 50 by Sunday evening. Granted I played that character a bit but kept the Doff missions up on my other characters. It required completing the new Federation Tutorial, the Klingon War Episode , the first mission of the Nimbus III arc and two additional Spin the Wheel runs, and that was it besides Doffing as much as I could (full 20 missions). The problem was after I reached 50 the Commendations areas were all at level 0 or 1 by the end (only), so this type of event is really needed to help round out the characters.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • spookpwaspookpwa Member Posts: 315 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    dont you want an epohh friend

Oh I love epohhs, especially baked at 250 degree Celsius with a lot of honey and herbs... :P

They are also useful for target practice, they do after all run faster then the tribbles we usually use. :D
    Double_e23652_217093.jpg

A test server is supposed to be used to properly test patches before patching anything....
  • czertik123czertik123 Member Posts: 1,122 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    --Talk to S'tass.

--Select the mission "Reinforcements" from his offered missions.

--Talk to the Lethean who is standing next to the Klingon personnel officer.

--Ensure that you have room for the doff.

--Get free doff and enjoy your new PVP domination.

problem is that "reinforcments" dont open on my stass, and no, i dont taken him prevously since this toon is old cca 2 months.
    But i did have it for my new fed alt lol.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It took me over an hour to get the purple doff. I can't imagine how this event could be any less fun.

1. It's annoying competing with players to get to the scan spots.
    2. The interacts are too small.
    3. NPCs push my toon when scanning, often messing me up.
    4. Seems like I have a 1 in 5 chance of a. fighting a klingon and getting 1 prize or b. getting the particle collecting guessing game.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it felt like the game of "Spin the wheel... you lose. Spin the wheel... you lose.. Spin the wheel... OK, now spend the wheel again... You lose. Spin the wheel... fight a Klingon for 1 prize. Spin the wheel... OK, Spin it again... you win 2 prizes!"

Scanning rocks on NR is more fun, because at least I know what I'm getting by pressing f.

Still, over an hour and a purple doff out of it. He sold on the exchange for 1.7 mil ECs. So I filled lots of buckets.

But it was not fun.

The doff xp is nice though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You do know what people say about men with big ears?

That he has the lobes for Profit.
    edited April 2014
    czertik123 wrote: »
    problem is that "reinforcments" dont open on my stass, and no, i dont taken him prevously since this toon is old cca 2 months.
    But i did have it for my new fed alt lol.

Sounds like a bug, report it.
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Another event as a romulan KDF toon I was unable to do the particle mission as it would not allow me to get a Bekk from the console. It then failed the mission and has now put me on a 20 hour cooldown well done Cryptic very well done
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    robeasom wrote: »
    Another event as a romulan KDF toon I was unable to do the particle mission as it would not allow me to get a Bekk from the console. It then failed the mission and has now put me on a 20 hour cooldown well done Cryptic very well done

Worked fine for me on my KDF rom...
  • gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hmmm. This is odd. On my Fed-aligned Rom I cannot find the contact I need to speak to, to get my Romulan Maintenance Engineer doff. Says I need to speak to Commander Rojal.

Do they mean Jarol at Starfleet Academy? I am unable to interact with him
    yjkZSeM.gif
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    robeasom wrote: »

I had a lag or a delay at being able to use the console - maybe as much as 30 seconds.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    this is a nice change, the overall particle mission plays the same but the prize is a good alternative to what there was before, well done cryptic it looks to be a winner.

one thing I have noticed many times before and now is no different the amount of unclaimed particle fragment drops from combat, I know that many players do not bother picking up drops and that is up to them but are they not aware that the drops from the academy event are actually particle fragments.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• ourmasterourmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    b. getting the particle collecting guessing game.

Look at the name of the particle (after initial scan), no need to guess.

But this event is horrible. So much pain. Got my purple Trill with one trait. I'm not going to repeat it.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    gazurtoid wrote: »
    Hmmm. This is odd. On my Fed-aligned Rom I cannot find the contact I need to speak to, to get my Romulan Maintenance Engineer doff. Says I need to speak to Commander Rojal.

Actuall.... I can't FIND ANY contact in game to get he battery doff from.... :(

EDIT: Ok, I talked to Ferra and he gave me the Exo quest.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ridddickxxxridddickxxx Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    gazurtoid wrote: »

Same here, none of my romulans cannot find Rojal, but i can collect the allayed doff in academy by speaking with Jarol. I have both missions in progress, the FED one and ROM one.
    2nhfgxf.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Same here, none of my romulans cannot find Rojal, but i can collect the allayed doff in academy by speaking with Jarol. I have both missions in progress, the FED one and ROM one.
    YEah, I looked at NRC a few more times, and the mission adds a yellow circle to the map.... and the center of the circle is next to a console, which is a logical place for an NPC to stand... but there is no interact available.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Where's Su...ah, I mean Rojal? I need to talk to him. :mad:
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well, for the record - I still consider the removal of the "Academy Event" together with the daily events as a major nerf, especially for dilithium gathering.

However, that said, I do like this new format of the "Junior Officer Appreciation Weekend". It is more realistic and plausible now, that an event in which we teach cadets/bekks to scan particles would be somehow tied with personel and not dilithium.
    Getting Doffs of various quality based on time and effort invested is indeed a refreshing addition to this weekend I did not exepct, but I wellcome it nevertheless. I actually look forward to this event more often.

Today, I saw the regular community come back together for this event, with many known faces in one place, chatting, joking and having fun together at the Academy. Such a beautiful distraction from the silent graveyard the Academies turned into lately. Downside - made me miss the hourly events even more. :(
    I'd see and meet all these people doing the same stuff as me during an event and there were regulars for everything, forming small comunities. If I do the 'Academy Event' or 'Dilithium Mining' I kinda' knew the people I'd expect to be there and joke around with them. I do miss that sence of community since the dailies have gone. :(

Anyway, this weekend as an event on it's own gets high rating from me. It's nice, simple, easy, thematically apropriate and we get to improve our Doff roster with quality Doffs as well as one unique one. I loved getting the Reman on my Reman. I look forward to this weekend event more often.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't know.... May be I'm doing something wrong... but I just spend 20 minuted to gather like what... 17 particles?
    Na... I like DOs, but not THAT much to continue to do that...
  • olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The rewards you get look to be no better than the DOFFs you get from a starbase. Also, the Exocomp DOFF is not new so sigh.

The extra CXP is useful, but the academy event...forget it.
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I cannot find the Romulan doff contact either, so now I'm having bets with my fleet mates if this'll get fixed or not.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I cannot find the Romulan doff contact either, so now I'm having bets with my fleet mates if this'll get fixed or not.

All of my Romulan toons were able to get the DOFF, I just used their allied contacts since I leave them in their respective academies anyway for the Lore daily.

So for Fed allied Rommies I spoke to Lt. Ferra and then to that Captain guy round the corner from him.

For KDF allied Rommies I spoke to Stask (or whatever his name is, big Gorn dude lol) and then the Captain guy next to him.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I'm talking the Romulan Doff, not the Reman or Exocomp, it's a seperate thing entirely.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
This discussion has been closed.