test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which type of shield for a ship with a high shield mod?

phil3822phil3822 Member Posts: 81 Arc User
Hi all, as the title suggests I am wondering which type of shield I should have for a ship with a high shield mod.

I have a Galor and it has a 1.3 shield modifier. I am not sure if to go for a shield with good regen stats or capacity stats. I was thinking between the borg xii and adapted maco xii shields. So far I have been using the adapted and I am very tanky shield wise. I like to borg tractor though hence why asking.

In general though I am interested in learning if cap, reg, cov etc is best with high shield mod.
Post edited by phil3822 on

Comments

• phil3822phil3822 Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Thanks for your response. I am no expert but assuming the shield mod is a X 1.3. For example, 10000 X 1.3 = 13000 therefore I originally thought one with high cap would be best. Interesting thought though as never seen the shield mod mentioned in terms of shield type selection. Thanks again.
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,788 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The Paratrinic Shield Array has crapastic regen but a super high strength so as to not really need it. Plus it is a mission reward: so free.
    edited April 2014
    Thanks, where do I get the Paratrinic shield array from?
    edited April 2014
    lol, just figured out how to get the paratrinic shield and had a look at its stats. I think I will leave it. Its inferior to my adapted, maco and borg shields I think. Thanks for the suggestion though, would be a good suggestion if I didn't have these things already.
  • nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Elite fleet covariant with [adapt]. With incoming buffs, Romulan Covariant is also worth considering, as the cap will be increased, plus grows each time you take damage, ending up in by far the largest cap shield in game. The higher your ship shield modifier is, the more cap you would waste for equipping low cap shield.
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    phil3822 wrote: »
    lol, just figured out how to get the paratrinic shield and had a look at its stats. I think I will leave it. Its inferior to my adapted, maco and borg shields I think. Thanks for the suggestion though, would be a good suggestion if I didn't have these things already.

ANY shield will be inferior to the maco, fleet or watever. Thats for sure.

I was going to recommend you the Aegis shield lol, that have shield boost properties, but its really inferior compared with the maco and a few out there. And since you seem to want only the best items of the game.. forget about it.

Depends on your playstyle. If you play for fun and you dont care too much about having the best items in the game (lets say you are NOT building your ship to do pvp, that is broken in this game btw), aegis shield and others are more than enough, and as far as i know, the only shield with shield boosts is the aegis shield.

Now, its incredible that so many people play this game not for fun, but for having the best of the best, thats their goal, and i wonder , are they really tired of this game already??.

There is no need to have the best of the best in this game. I wonder if someday people will realize this.

If someday pvp is re vamped , fixed and improved, then we can talk about the best equipment for your ship, but until then.. why people worry so much about this set or another one?? just equip the set you like the most, for the visuals or your playstyle and thats it!!.
    edited April 2014
    Thanks noblet, just to clarify " The higher your ship shield modifier is, the more cap you would waste for equipping low cap shield." you mean that because of the high ship shield mod a higher cap is best rather than a higher regen lower cap.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    In my experience regen does next to nothing. Its a few hundred healed every 6 seconds in a world where the elite NPCS or PVP player can do 10x that in the same time frame.

With a high shield power level (closer to 100 than not) and the absolute highest regen shield it might keep up for a drive-by "strafe run" type playstyle in the fastest ships.

High capacity and shield healing officer skills are for anything else, though. And that makes double sense in a 1.3 shield ship which usually means a science ship ... so you will have high aux and strong healing skills... play to your strengths here and heal yourself on a high cap shield.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    A high shield mod lets you use any shield effectively. A ship with a low shield mod has to rely on things other than capacity because they cannot keep a high-cap shield topped up very effectively (and unused capacity is not helping with anything), but a ship with a high mod value lets you use high-cap shields very effectively and also lets you get more value from all the others too.

Short answer is use whatever shield you want, but dont be afraid of high-cap shields. Most of my science ships use the KHG | Adapted MACO set
    edited April 2014
    Thanks again all. I have Adapted, Maco and Borg xii sets and do play around but since having the higher shield mod it got me thinking hence the post. I normally keep with the borg engine and deflector as I think it still offers some heal but could be wrong.
  • gerudongerudon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The Adaptive Resilient Fleet Shield [ResB] is probably the best shield in the game at the moment. It's additional Plasma, Disruptor and Antiproton resistance works against almost every enemy you face in PvE (well, except for the mirror ships, but they are gone tomorrow) AND PvP. And if I'm not mistaken, then the Undine are using Antiproton as well?! So yeah, a combination of that together with Borg or MACO deflector and Engine is generally the best combo you can have at this point for most situations and most ships.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    That Elite Fleet Resilient is probably the best shield in the game. The Dyson shield (from the rep, not the mission) is great, too. It's a Regenerative shield, but, it regenerates like there's no tomorrow.
  • suffer1suffer1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I would say the Very Rare MK XII Remen shield. Low regen but really high capacity, I get around 16.5k each facing on my sci ship with no consoles. All shield skills are maxed and I must run with high kinetic resist to avoid dying with full shields. Would also recommend 2 science teams. They share a cool down but when one is used the other has just half the cool down time, instead of the 30 sec. With a sci team active space doff that can be reduced even further. I can usually order a shield buff every 11 seconds or so, more than enough to keep the Remen shield full.

In emergencies I switch my ship's power levels to full defense, at that point the shield fills up very quickly and does not drop again easily. Anyways, plenty of great ideas provided by other as well. Good Luck :cool: