test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Last Minute Freak Out

adorenkoadorenko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Ok so in 7 hours I move into Omega Rep tier 5!! I'm excited for this but nervous about all the purchases I'm about to make. I have an Obelisk Carrier and planned on picking up the M.A.C.O. set and eventually upgrading to adapted M.A.C.O. Is there any reason I shouldn't get the M.A.C.O. set for tanking?
Looking for more info on Dilithium Rising? Click on the link below:

[SIGPIC]Click here to visit my STO YouTube channel[/SIGPIC]
Post edited by adorenko on

Comments

• gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    First of all, wait until Season 9 to drop, you'll save a lot more EC and you won't need to drop XP on it.

Second of all, it's a pretty good set, though I hear M.A.C.O. does better on more nimbler craft. I couldn't say for certain as I got my M.A.C.O. on my Fleet Gal-X. However, people usually go the way of Borg Engines and Deflector + Adapted M.A.C.O Shields for shield regen
  • phil3822phil3822 Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Good sets to have on any toon is my only thought. All resources are grindable so no real money and all good.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Just remember that plasmonic leech doesn't work with the normal MACO shield. So if you run a leech, use something else.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • adorenkoadorenko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    First of all, wait until Season 9 to drop, you'll save a lot more EC and you won't need to drop XP on it.

Second of all, it's a pretty good set, though I hear M.A.C.O. does better on more nimbler craft. I couldn't say for certain as I got my M.A.C.O. on my Fleet Gal-X. However, people usually go the way of Borg Engines and Deflector + Adapted M.A.C.O Shields for shield regen

Which season 9 Dev Blog #__ was that, that talked about those changes? I know #5 talked about changes to powers but I didn't see anything about how gear purchases were changing.

• gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    adorenko wrote: »
    Which season 9 Dev Blog #__ was that, that talked about those changes? I know #5 talked about changes to powers but I didn't see anything about how gear purchases were changing.

Dev Blog #3, but the changes are already on TRIBBLE, so I've seen them first-hand. As it stands, getting a Mk XII set now would cost you 270k EC (via items), 102k Dil, and 30 Borg Implants. The new Rep system shunts the EC and Implant costs to 120k and 9
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited April 2014

....Dev blog 3. "Reputation Redesign" http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online/detail/3038363-season-9-dev-blog-_3
    edited April 2014
    The only thing I see is a change to Nukara:

"Nukara Space Set mark cost reduced from 900 to 750."

I don't see any changes to the Omega set. Were they just showing one rep project as an example or is this the only one changing? Or is there just an assumption that Omega will likely change along with all the other Reps? Also has anyone read when season 9 is supposed to drop?

• tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The only thing I see is a change to Nukara:

"Nukara Space Set mark cost reduced from 900 to 750."

I don't see any changes to the Omega set. Were they just showing one rep project as an example or is this the only one changing? Or is there just an assumption that Omega will likely change along with all the other Reps? Also has anyone read when season 9 is supposed to drop?

noite, its just the mark cost that changed, thats all they noted, everything changing over to be like the dyson rep. lwhile mark cost may or may not change, the rest of the inputs are goingto be changing. overall, you wont have to fork over as much other items, overall, it'll cost less even without a direct change in dil/mark cost.
  • imadude3imadude3 Member Posts: 825 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    here's my two cents: the Adapted M.A.C.O is AMAZING in my opinion, especially since i can use my leech with it, also, should you decide to go for the Adapted, just do it as soon as you hit T5, by then it will be available alongside the regular M.A.C.O space set.
    i use it on my Dominion Dreadnought Carrier, along with fleet neuts, and my ship is as tanky as you'd expect a dreadnought to be :D
    Maintaining peace through overwhelming firepower.
  • spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    All Mk12 sets are dropping from 10 to 5 BNPs + the Xp drop and a few other things. If you are not in a hurry you might want to wait a week or 2 max until S9
    edited April 2014
    a week or two I didn't think we were that close to season 9.

• hdspringerhdspringer Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    server is messing up again think its about to crash
  • gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    yes there is a good reason why you shouldn't get the MACO set for tanking. it's not a tanking set! for reals buddy, get the borg set. the hull heals it gives are life saving and a necessity for any ship that calls itself a tank.
    edited April 2014
    yes there is a good reason why you shouldn't get the MACO set for tanking. it's not a tanking set! for reals buddy, get the borg set. the hull heals it gives are life saving and a necessity for any ship that calls itself a tank.

Yeah M.A.C.O. shields seem very well suited for science ships with their high capacity and the accompanying shield modifiers on science vessels. It seems counter intuitive to go with a lower shield for tanking but those heals and regen rate seem nice but M.A.C.O. has some nice features I would like to have.

It makes it much harder to compare the two on STO wiki when so many of the stats might not be accurate. There is one stat that says, M.A.C.O. impulse engines have a +19 turn rate, that can't be right.

On the deflectors I'm trying to figure out what stats are the most important. They are both equal on structural integrity. The two biggest things I am looking at this point here is the power insulator on Borg (+26.2) VS shield system on M.A.C.O. (+17.5) and elctro-plasma system on M.A.C.O. (+8.8). The elctro-plasma system tends to lend itself more to my build of being a beam boat. I also like the shield system. So I guess how important is that power insulator?

Damn it, I more confused now then when I begun this article.

Edit: Additionally, leading more toward M.A.C.O. are the amount of shield skills that I use: ST, EPS, RSF, Miracle Worker with the added CD reduction, and RSP, oh and Tac Team. I think that is all of them but with a higher shield capacity are these abilities more effective then with a lower capacity?

• gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    What a lot of people have done in the past is gone with the Borg 2 pc ( deflector and engine for the 2 pc proc hull heals) along with the MACO shield for the Cap like you mentioned. That was before the Elite Fleet shields came out which are far superior to anything now for the most part with their Adapt ability that stacks resists. MACO shield is still fine if you plan on doing only PvE though if you ever want to did your lil toe into PvP youi'll have to go with an Elite Fleet Adapt Resilient shield.

To your edit: ST, Ep2S, RSF, Miracle Worker and Tac Team are no more or less effective with higher or lower capacity shields. In my opinion, for a science ship or any ship trying to shield tank, Transfer Shield Strength is a very important shield heal to run. TSS3 is super strong and is boosted by your Aux power level so you can hit an Aux battery then hit Hazard Emitters and Transfer shield strength for very strong hull and shield heals.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'd say, go with Adapted MACO Deflector + Engine. The Deflector alone is already superior! And you can keep using your Plasmonic Leech that way.
    3lsZz0w.jpg