test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Getting rid of daily/hourly events was a HUGE MISTAKE - Game Dying Fast

Comments

• sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    I stand by my original projection, and give the game one more year, before PWE pulls the plug.

fancy a wager on that?
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    . I stand by my original projection, and give the game one more year, before PWE pulls the plug.

And in two years we'll have all forgotten your predictions. Just like we forgot who the people were who at launch said with absolute certainty it wouldn't last 6 months. You wouldn't have happened to have been one of them would you?
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think the game will die on the 28th Feburary in 2016. Probably at 7:54 am or pm (the method I use is a bit vague on that).

Later, game historians will conclude that the introduction of non-replicatable crafting equipment and the first nerf to the Borg set was what caused the game eventual demise, and that nerfs to reputations or removal of hourly events where just signs of what was to come.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • bbushwookiebbushwookie Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    signed

I have plenty to do with fleet and rep systems grind, but i miss the hourly events. It seems a bit empty and boring without them going on. i used to log on more to make certain events, now its just, whenever.
    Space chatter is soothing~
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The game HAS been dying since launch.
    Yes, but that's pretty much a nonstatement. All games have been dying since launch. Some die fast, some die slow, but in the end, entropy always wins. That's just how things are. To say that this is some kind of special thing is simply hyperbolic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • saeynsaeyn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think the game will die on the 28th Feburary in 2016. Probably at 7:54 am or pm (the method I use is a bit vague on that).

Later, game historians will conclude that the introduction of non-replicatable crafting equipment and the first nerf to the Borg set was what caused the game eventual demise, and that nerfs to reputations or removal of hourly events where just signs of what was to come.

Post of the day, right here. :-D
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    eeh19 wrote: »
    id just like to state that i am aware that this is only steam users and that i am not stupid i was just trying to help hi-light the numbers that ppl are asking for in this thread.....sorry for being the only guy on here that did research in to the dwindling population before qq'ing about it....
    Poor research IMO.... Steam is currently the EXPENSIVE way to play the game....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It is clear that Cryptic believes that they are on the path that they need to be on to retain players and to gain more players.

You can type 'til your fingers bleed in these forums but it's just noise (if even that) to Cryptic/PWE. The most coherent sound that no business can deny is that of money.

Consider this the next time that you are thinking of buying another ship, costume or converting your money to Zen.

If YOU don't like what Cryptic is doing, DON'T give them any more money. Money is what makes a business function - that is what they are focused on - deny them that and you will get their attention.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
    edited April 2014
    Sure. If this game is still live on 4/7/2015, you can haz my stuff, I'll admit right here in these very forums that I was wrong, STO is the greatest thing since bacon, and never darken your door again. Provided I'm still here.

What do I get if I win?

Sounds good. I will paypal you $100 American if the game closes prior to 4/7/2015.

Please submit and maintain a current inventory of your stuff. Do you have any robots or jetskis? How about spaghetti?
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

edited April 2014
    No robots, jetskis, or spaghetti. I have a non-functioning Time Machine that looks like something Captain Fantastic would ride through the Everglades in. Two hotdogs (I had a full pack but a big Rottweiler ate the other eight), and a broken vintage 1975 Mego Star Trek transporter.

WHY did you take it out of its box???

• shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    WHY did you take it out of its box???

At a guess? It was '75, he was a little kid and liked watching the spinning bits. Besides, the PVC covering on those things didn't hold up very well in the long run.
    edited April 2014
    Once again, you have fallen for one of my classic pranks.

• zeratkzeratk Member Posts: 409
    edited April 2014
    While i took a look at the hourly events, especially the Mirror Event while i was levelling a new PvP Toon, i don't care at all about those Weekend Events. Do not need those. A lot of Queues are for more empty now then before that change.
    This is Crypticverse... :mad:
  • genadagenada Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Basic problem is that all the new content for season 9 can be played threw the day it's coming out. It lacks any true re play value. The grinds in game are not there to help you overcome challenge they are the end game. You grind the reps to do.....?

Then even beyond that problem is that they refuse to challenge players in any real way. You can do the content the day you hit lvl 50. Will you get the best reward? Maybe not but really does it matter? Look at MI, entire groups who didn't want to bother with it would go afk for the first part till the dread came out and then kill it. Is that good game play? Good design?

Too much focus on lower level stuff and complete neglect of higher level stuff. What's the point of redoing Earth Space Dock if people are leaving in droves at max level because there's no new content? People are not playing the game for Earth Space Dock, it's upgrade is a total waste of resources that could of been spent towards something more useful.

Last but not least is the basic problem of Cryptic has trapped it's self into a box. They cann't do a end game because if they attempted to to it would be total failure. There's no balance between ships, career or anything else. You can not meet the goal of having content that is a challenge and expect people to beat it in any ship with any mix of careers. It's not possible to do because they are not even close to being balanced with each other.
    edited April 2014
    You talk funny.
    Well, you SMELL funny.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • starlancedstarlanced Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    fsuika wrote: »
    oh my is this a ''dooooooom'' thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXU8w336oGs
  • sassycountersassycounter Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    i do miss the hourly events to a certain degree. it was one of the few times you could get Mine Trap to pop.

At first the removal seemed to help things like that pop more frequently because people wouldn't bother waiting for bonus marks, but now it's less and less frequent.

but ive never had an issue getting an ISE to pop or anything else. there does seem to be a rash of newer people coming in that havent done it 900293 and since we're all used to playing vets constantly no one talks in pugs anymore so they're kinda wayward.
  • crickwatsoncrickwatson Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    +1 for the OP

Sure the weekend events arent the only issue with STO's development, but nevertheless its seriously causing less activity.
    I still dont understand how Cryptic claims that all hourly events werent liked at all instead of taking a closer look into it. Some of them were just obsolete because all their rewards have become useless. Crafting for example... or the 1 hour foundry event which was actually pretty short when you didnt plan your visit of a nice story based foundry very well. Tour the galaxy is another example, which's revamp has actually failed really bad.

As already stated by others, the most frequently used weekend events are dil and bonus marks. The funny thing is that I'm already afraid of these weekends. They are causing players to grind or even worse just trade in their marks the whole weekend, which leads to a painful drop of activity as soon as its over. And i cant imagine why it should be fun to spend your free time doing one and the same thing over and over again for the whole weekend. After two or three of those weekends its just getting boring as hell and feels more like mindless repetitive work.

When it comes to overall activity in the game i also can see it going down. Evne when people are still logging in they are often just afk or due to various ingame activities spread all over the world. And now there's no hourly even anymore which gets them back together. Its already pretty annoying and painful to get a group together to make one (or even worse: multiple) pve runs. And im asking friends, people from a large fleet, dps channels/KP and sometimes even pestf.
    There will alway be some people pugging ISE, so thats no indicator at all. As long as you basically know how to set up your ship (and no not even a rom tac + scimi) you can complete it mostly by yourself and wont even loose the optional after dying while falling asleep. It has actually come down to the fastest way for people to get a lot of omega marks via daily before leaving again.

Its sad. I really like STO as it actually stands out a little from the mass of MMOS (due to the ST theme, space combat, fast gameplay, short runs etc.) and i've heard quite a lot of people calling it one of their favourite games.
    I'm also well aware that Cryptic/PWE just cares about fast money, but imo it wouldn't be bad for them to think about how to actually keep the game alive as it might provide (or even: might have provided?) a nice place to spend time and money not just for a short while.
    Nevertheless have the latest developements been pretty much disencouraging to me as well as a couple of others to whom i've talked to.
    It would be nice to see the game having a real future, but i mostly just notice wasted recources on "one time features" like episodes with a lot of voice over, pointless revamps etc. Things that sometimes look nice for the first and second time you see or do it, but dont keep anyone interested for long.
    The "balancing" of the reputation traits looks like a fail as well. New players are often just confused by the increased number of choices, which leads to further imbalance. And "balance" is not a pvp-only thing.

Overall it seems like the lead development could use some personal changes and PWE a little more concern about their future income.
    edited May 2014
    As already stated by others, the most frequently used weekend events are dil and bonus marks. The funny thing is that I'm already afraid of these weekends. They are causing players to grind or even worse just trade in their marks the whole weekend, which leads to a painful drop of activity as soon as its over
    No surprise, considering that you're actively penalized for doing content outside of those events.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The next Bonus Mark event is at the end of June. That is FOUR months between them. This one better be double every award!!!
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Why did they remove it to begin with? I bet it had something to do with money. Why are you killing the game. Its 1 straw after the other until it finally breaks. I really like STO but, TBH. Another couple of hits to vet players, and another season like S9 and I'll leave. Not because I want to but because in reality you've ran me away.
    I also think cryptic has had a meeting with its higher up and come to the conclusion that STO can't be fixed. So from here on out we will see nothing but money sinks and dead storylines. Any Eye candy to get ppl to stay around and spend money but nothing for the integrity. Its like feeding a kid nothing but candy and when they get older you have to start cutting off limbs because of diabetes. Same with STO instead of makeing 5 new story missions for everyone who plays the game. They make a new ship that in cryptics logic if it sells just 1, was way more valuable that makeing the 5 missions everyone could play for free. Then a month down the road when they release another ship. The ppl that would have bought 100 of them is gone. Its all about the now and not the Long haul. Makes me sad. I really wanted a STO mmo that I could devote all my game time to.
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    ltminns wrote: »
    The next Bonus Mark event is at the end of June. That is FOUR months between them. This one better be double every award!!!

I wish they did daily events instead of weekends (and instead of hourlies).
    The weekends are nice for things like dilithium bonuses (better than an hourly), but are too infrequent (waiting several months to cycle around is not fun). At least with the weekend I can have all my characters mine and get bonuses.
    The hourly events I would frequently miss due to work (and life). It was nice they were offset so they eventually rolled around, but then it was still like a weekly for me.

I can usually find a little time to play almost every day. Daily events, like dil/mark bonus, would allow me, and I'm sure many others, a chance to get something every day they log on.

I also play during the middle of the week, and there's nothing going on. At least I could always count on an hourly before.

Also, I've noticed a drop in players in PvE queues. Sometimes it's hard to get a pug in the public queues.

At the minimum, devs, please put something in every weekend. It's currently bimonthly events, not weekend events.
    ...and make them a whole week long (aka, weekly events).
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).