test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Romulan story idea...Dominion war truth discovered.

tejanahawktejanahawk Member Posts: 44 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Romulan Discussion
I had an idea for the storyline to help make the Romulans more independent. They find out about the Dominion war lie. DS9 - In The Pale Moonlight

Sisko, Garak, and Vreenak were the only ones who knew about the deception. It is possible the Fed and Klingon leadership knew too. Vreenak is dead, Sisko is with the prophets...that leaves Garak. What if your Rom character was able to find out some how from Garak about this treachery.

How should the Romulan faction respond to this revelation? Would the Romulan Republic forces pull back from their alliances with the Fed and KDF and become more independent? Remember, the Klingons were allies with the Fed during the Dominion war, so they shared in this deception and benefited from the results. While the results also benefited the Romulans too, if you see it from their perspective, they probably would be pissed.

Really I would just love to have Garak in the story somehow, and it would be really awesome if they can get Andrew Robinson to do the voice over.

Cheers
TJ
Post edited by tejanahawk on

Comments

• Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited April 2014
    Great episode. IMO literally the finest hour of television ever produced for Star Trek, that was the most Un-Trek like way to deal with a problem.

Your premise is inconsistent with the IP.

First - there's no evidence to support them 'finding out the truth'.

The forger is dead. The ambassador is dead. Garak has no interest in coming clean. He deals in secrets to help Cardassia, and I cannot see how Cardassia would benefit from creating a conflict. There are bigger enemies now (Iconian, Undine, Borg), and the Alpha Quadrant doesn't need dissention.

The log entries were erased.

Sisko is essentially 'dead' to this temporal realm, and he's quite literally a Bajoran Prophet at this point.

And the Romulans benefitted from the Alliance. Indeed you might say they would be very mistrustful of any member of the Obsidian Order, given the losses they have incurred.

Think of it this way - had the Obsidian Order not suffered heavy losses along with the Tal Shiar in the very ill-fated attempt to destroy the dominion's homeworld, the Tal Shiar might not have gone the route of allying themselves with the Iconians ultimately resulting in years of chaos following the dominion war (The Reman Rebellion) AND then the destruction of the homeworld.

Food for thought.
  • Options
    tejanahawktejanahawk Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Something else to think about. More might know about this secret than we are aware of. The Starfleet Admirals who OK'd the plan, possibly sharing this info with top Klingon officials at the time. Dax and Worf might have been able to put 2 and 2 together.

Since Sisko is with the prophets, the prophets know everything he knows. Q knows too, since he knows everything.

Q might tell just to create chaos for his amusement. It also might be possible to have an orb or visit the Prophets, something might come from their riddles, since they have a different understanding of non linear time.

Garak might not willingly tell. What if the Undine are able to fish this information out of him with their telepathic abilities. Vulcans could not read a Cardassian mind, but who is to say the Undine can't. The Undine would have reasons to plant the seeds of distrust. Romulans by nature are not the trusting type. I am sure ex Tal Shiar and Obsidian Order operatives would be high value targets for a species of mind readers. Heck, the Undine might even lie to the Romulans to create even more chaos.

The Romulans warming views toward Federation and Klingon Empire could be shaken when they find out when push comes to shove, the Federation and Klingons could be just as devious as they are. The Romulans would certainly be pissed, while they would understand the reasons...survival is a very good reason, still I think it would cause the Romulans to be more cautious when viewing the Fed and KDF factions.

Anyway, like others here, I would like to see the Romulan Faction more independent and would hope for an eventual path that lets this happen.

Cheers
    TJ
  • Options
    mondoidmondoid Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited April 2014
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Honestly, especially after 40 years, if the romulans discover the truth about that days... They'd probably laugh about it and say "well played".
    After all, THEY of all people in the universe would respect that. They would be the first once doing exactly the same thing...
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    All of this is too far fetched to be relevant.

As far as DS9 goes, only Ben Sisko, Garak and Vreenak knew about Sisko's little ploy. No Starfleet Admirals and no Klingon Generals. Only 3 people knew, out of which only one is allive in our realm. If you think that Garak would tell the Romulans this just for lols, you haven't paid attention to his character.

Sisko is amongst the Prophets now. He is one of them. Even if they share his knowledge and know about the incident, there's no evidence that they'd have any reason to share the information with "outsiders". Seeing how that little ploy helped save their beloved Bajor, chances are better that they'd be interested in keeping the secret as well.

And Q? Really? Q is way overplayed in this game, he's suposed to be a rare distraction in Star Trek. If we start using Q for everything and anything, we can just shut down the game and say that Q erased the Iconians out of existence and solved STO by saying "Abracadabra".

Now, I'm all for bringing Mr.Robinson to do VO work in STO and to bring back one of the most legendary characters in Star Trek - Elim Garak. But the way this should be done is through a Cardassian faction (or fraction if you will). Garak is a member of the new Cardassian government, so it would be apropriate to work under his command as a Cardassian. The potenital of story development for Garak and the players as well is bigger that way, besides many people would finally get the thing they've been patiently waiting for - a Cardassian faction.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    matth431matth431 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm not sure it would matter. The whole point about Vreenak was that he didn't see the benefit in working with others towards a common goal. The Romulan Republic is ALL ABOUT working with others towards a common goal, rapidly becoming the glue that sticks the broken bits of the Fed/KDF alliance back together after the Undine whacked it against a wall.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I agree... Garak would be the last person to spill the beans on that unless he had something to gain. He doesn't.

He arranged for the purchase of the data rod, involving the transfer of a restricted substance (biomimetic gel).

If memory serves, he suggested the the forger they needed to fake the evidence.

He arranged for Senator Vreenak's transport to be destroyed, and framed the Dominion for it.

He arranged an 'accident' for the forger, to insure the secret never got out.

Now, what might actually be interesting is if someone managed to put enough of the pieces of the puzzle together to discredit the Federation in the eyes of the Republic.

It wouldn't be hard to implicate Sisko. It's all a matter of record.

Sisko invited the senator to DS9. Sisko arranged for the release of the biomimetic gel and the release of the forger from a Klingon prison. Shortly after which, the Romulan senator's shuttle conveniently explodes, leaving behind a damaged data rod, and the forger turns up dead.

I'm sure someone in the Klingon Empire might have a motive for discrediting the Federation and Sisko.

Garak would be the only person able to enlighten anyone and he's got no reason I can think of to protect Sisko. Sure anyone who realizes he was involved would suspect him. But they wouldn't have any proof.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek