test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #10: Undine Infiltration

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Attention all Captains! Chris "mrodds" Dods, Content Designer gives a sneak peek at the new Undine Infiltration mission! Bajor has been infiltrated by Undine and it is up to shrewd Captains to discern friend from foe in this new entry of the Season 9 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

~LaughingTrendy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• devast8tordevast8tor Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    FYI, the news post links to wrong thread (season 9 blog 9) instead of this one.

I am really interested to see how this event performs with pickup groups (PUGS), since you'll find a wide variety of experience levels and motivation. How does the event protect against player griefing (purposefully failing the interrogation objectives?).

I imagine the event will be most effective with a good team. If you are reading this post and looking for a great team, check out http://ufplanets.com
    Daedalus-STO.png
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm interested to see how this works
  • oracion666oracion666 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yay! Something other than being told to wipe out the population of a small city! And on Bajor too! I haven't been there since. . . when did the Jemmy missions come out again? Last year? Year before?
    Formerly known as Echo@Rivyn13
    Member since early 2011

• captainmd10captainmd10 Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm glad I don't have to fill in the blanks again like Dev Blog #8. I've tested the mission on Tribble and I'm glad to say the first part of the mission takes some pages out of Terradome's book without that annoying emote searching. The new Undine combat is also a bit more visually impressive. It only takes about 10-15 minutes if done right. Cant wait to play it.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm going to take a wild stab and say that it sounds less exciting in writing than it actually is in reality.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Sounds intriguing and VERY Star Trek. A detective mission with a hint of commentary on personal freedoms vs security. I'm impressed. I can't wait to see how this bad boy plays. :D
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm glad I don't have to fill in the blanks again like Dev Blog #8. I've tested the mission on Tribble and I'm glad to say the first part of the mission takes some pages out of Terradome's book without that annoying emote searching. The new Undine combat is also a bit more visually impressive. It only takes about 10-15 minutes if done right. Cant wait to play it.

It's a really fun mission. Choosing Bajor as a location to do a questioning mission was a great choice. Having been a big fan of DS9 and getting into the history, the idea of questioning Bajoran citizens over their authenticity? Oh my. :P
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This. Looks. AWESOME.

Can't wait.
  • lirokailirokai Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    My main concern will be griefing and afking...just like any other queue. Hopefully you guys have tested this in 'negative' scenarios as well as on teams with friends.

Some days I can barely trust PUGs to fire their phasers straight.

Other than that, looks promising. Too bad there's not a version I can just play solo, read at my own speed and use my BOs.
  • vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So there's going to be Klingons interrogating and locking up Federation-Bajorian citizens...I guess Klingons aren't all bad then.:P
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Very cool to see something done with that zone since it really hasn't had a purpose since its introduction. And it really is a beautiful zone.
  • asovanraasovanra Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    We know what it is; we've known for weeks; come on with the new content already. Also, it's extremely glitchy, lots and lots of bugs have been reported in the tribble forums with respect to this mission.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's a really fun mission. Choosing Bajor as a location to do a questioning mission was a great choice. Having been a big fan of DS9 and getting into the history, the idea of questioning Bajoran citizens over their authenticity? Oh my. :P

Choosing Bajor is mostly practical as it is a very nice asset that wasn't getting that much use before.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    + reusing a nice zone that there just wasn't a whole lot you could do with other then that 1 mission.

- what possible reason and unidine motivation could there be for wide spread infiltration on backwards little bajor?
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Um, wouldn't a blood test be logical?

How about I at least do a bio-scan?

I like that it's detective stuff and non-combat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So what happens when someone just starts sending people to quarantine indiscriminately instead of taking the time to investigate? Mission failure? Riot?

I'm afraid the events of the Mirror Invasion has made me a bit pessimistic about this.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • origcaptainquackorigcaptainquack Member Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    these missions sounds like terrodome broken up into 2 or 3 different missions.
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    lirokai wrote: »
    My main concern will be griefing and afking...just like any other queue. Hopefully you guys have tested this in 'negative' scenarios as well as on teams with friends.

Other than that, looks promising. Too bad there's not a version I can just play solo, read at my own speed and use my BOs.

The first bit shuld be a solo mission IMO but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    these missions sounds like terrodome broken up into 2 or 3 different missions.

Yep exactly lol.

Depending on what side the coin lands you should arrest them!
  • no09dysonsphereno09dysonsphere Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    So what happens when someone just starts sending people to quarantine indiscriminately instead of taking the time to investigate? Mission failure? Riot?

I'm afraid the events of the Mirror Invasion has made me a bit pessimistic about this.

Based on the Tribble version the only real difference is the mark reward at the end. Even quarantining everyone, I didn't notice a difference in the hostile bajorans spawning and the ones that did can be completely ignored.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Based on the Tribble version the only real difference is the mark reward at the end. Even quarantining everyone, I didn't notice a difference in the hostile bajorans spawning and the ones that did can be completely ignored.

Hmm, that might not be so bad then. The mission sounds cool, just that one part is my only concern.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    - what possible reason and unidine motivation could there be for wide spread infiltration on backwards little bajor?
    ^^^
    Exactly. What better place to start an infiltration then a planet/culture no one of a major Star nation (be it UFP of KDF) sees as having no real strategic value. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This is an example of outside-the-box thinking that I encourage to continue.

This isn't hitting your spacebar and creating large numbers... this is using your brain.

Suck it, haters. If you don't want to use your brain, you can keep your DPS e-peens going on how fast you can complete ISE with a min-maxed build using the current flavor-of-the-month.

I'll just be over here on Bajor exercising my deductive skills. :D
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    iconians wrote: »

This isn't hitting your spacebar and creating large numbers... this is using your brain.

Suck it, haters. If you don't want to use your brain, you can keep your DPS e-peens going on how fast you can complete ISE with a min-maxed build using the current flavor-of-the-month.

Agreed, completely.

I'm DEFINITELY doing this mission. A LOT.
  • trinitycompletedtrinitycompleted Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I suppose it's no surprise that Undine is the next reputation, but I believe this is the first confirmation provided in the blog.
    Don't phaze me, bro!
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    lirokai wrote: »

Hey now it was that one time, and I was using that Phaser I bought off some Ferengi up on Deep Space Nine, how was I to know it had a bent alignment coil?
  • neos472neos472 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited April 2014

could not have said it better myself sir i enjoy a firefight just as much as the next guy but this has me chompin at the bits to play.
    manipulator of time and long time space traveler
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited April 2014
    Just a note to the marketing people:

- you're still showing the First Contact Day event in the main banner.

- the title for this blog post is a duplicate of #9 in the list page.
  • jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tobar26th wrote: »
    Hey now it was that one time, and I was using that Phaser I bought off some Ferengi up on Deep Space Nine, how was I to know it had a bent alignment coil?

You should know better.
    10 minutes time out, NOW!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Exactly! I'm encouraged that the devs are even experimenting with a more puzzle and deduction based scenario like this. I hope it works, but more so glad the devs are willing to try out something different like this. Sure, sometimes I just wanna shoot things. But I like using my brain too, and this is Star Trek. Missions like this, dealing with the threat Undine pose as infiltrators, is very much a Star Trek scenario, with the crew having to play detective and uncover a mystery.

As for why bioscanners don't work, well. When shapeshifted into someone, biologically, an Undine is that person. They're weird like that. Changelings are even weirder. A Changeling shapeshifted into a rock is, according to all scanners, a rock. That should be impossible, yet... there it is.