test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Romulan or Reman prototype set help

joshjpeter2joshjpeter2 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Romulan Discussion
My main Romulan character is a tac, currently flying a tactical Scimitar. I'll be completing the romulan rep on that character very soon, and I was going to get one of the prototype sets for it, but which one would be better for the character Romulan or Reman?

I mostly do PvE and STFs along with the story missions(I do not PvP at all) and I have no access to fleet or very expensive equipment(shoestring budget)
Post edited by joshjpeter2 on

Comments

• seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The only differences are cosmetic, whichever one you prefer the look of.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • joshjpeter2joshjpeter2 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    okay so coin flip it is then
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    seannewboy wrote: »
    The only differences are cosmetic, whichever one you prefer the look of.

It is not a simple matter of cosmetics. Do people read stats anymore??? For most parts the stats are practically the same, but a few very subtle but absolutely crucial changes.

For reference:

Reman Prototype Set
    Romulan Prototype Set

Again, the stats are very similar but the differences lie in these:

1. Cosmetic (obviously)

2. Reman engine boosts Starship Maneuvers, making people miss you more. Romulan engine boosts Starship Attack Patterns, making your Attack Patterns Alpha, Beta, Delta, Omega better.

3. Romulan Deflector has a 2% Starship Stealth Detection bonus. This is more a PVP thing. If PVP is your thing and you are trying to detect cloaked ships, this bonus is a HUGE deal, next to Aux Power and Science Vessels / Carriers IRT detection. It is the exact same bonus that the Jem'Hadar Mk XII Deflector has, and that is quite capable in detecting cloaked ships. I'll also refer you to another thread discussing detection in heavy detail.

IMO, for a Warbird captain maximizing cloaks and timed attack buffs, the Romulan version of the set is the way to go. This is especially true for Tac Captains. This is esp. true if you have interest in making a "snooper" build and finding cloaked ships to shoot at.
    okay so coin flip it is then

Man, hope you really didn't do that and make the acquisition.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • gerudongerudon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Have the changes to the sets arrived on Tribble yet btw? Would be nice to know, if the sets are worth picking up with Season 9.
  • silverwidow2silverwidow2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have been thinking of the reman set for my Tac for the bonus plasma damage and the speed increase to the rom plasma torps. though it will be hard to give up my grav torps. Love those things and the reman set just looks cooler. :P
  • no09dysonsphereno09dysonsphere Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    2. Reman engine boosts Starship Maneuvers, making people miss you more. Romulan engine boosts Starship Attack Patterns, making your Attack Patterns Alpha, Beta, Delta, Omega better.

3. Romulan Deflector has a 2% Starship Stealth Detection bonus. This is more a PVP thing. If PVP is your thing and you are trying to detect cloaked ships, this bonus is a HUGE deal, next to Aux Power and Science Vessels / Carriers IRT detection. It is the exact same bonus that the Jem'Hadar Mk XII Deflector has, and that is quite capable in detecting cloaked ships. I'll also refer you to another thread discussing detection in heavy detail.

The shields are different too, the Romulan one have a higher regen and the Reman one higher capacity.

Of course once the new season goes live this discussion will be pointless since we'll be able to mix and match pieces.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,669 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    gerudon wrote: »
    Have the changes to the sets arrived on Tribble yet btw? Would be nice to know, if the sets are worth picking up with Season 9.

Yes, they're on Tribble test server already. Buffed shield capacity, and there's now hull boosting in the deflectors for more tanking. The 3-piece bonus in now part of the shield by itself, both Romulan and Reman parts are part of the same set now so you can mix in the Romulan engines for the Attack Patterns buff and use the Reman shields for the look.

Also, there is no Mk X/XI versions in the Reputation post Season 9, so make sure you get Mk XII as the lower Mk ones won't be buffed.
  • joshjpeter2joshjpeter2 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It is not a simple matter of cosmetics. Do people read stats anymore??? For most parts the stats are practically the same, but a few very subtle but absolutely crucial changes.

For reference:

Reman Prototype Set
    Romulan Prototype Set

Again, the stats are very similar but the differences lie in these:

1. Cosmetic (obviously)

IMO, for a Warbird captain maximizing cloaks and timed attack buffs, the Romulan version of the set is the way to go. This is especially true for Tac Captains. This is esp. true if you have interest in making a "snooper" build and finding cloaked ships to shoot at.

Man, hope you really didn't do that and make the acquisition.

I haven't yet. I just finished the rep day before yesterday and I need a few more marks to get the set.

I have the Reman set up in the rep section, but with no resources allocated, so I can cancel easily.

As for PvP I just don't, never did, so cloak detection is less of a concern for me. (I just never cared for competitive multiplayer content, I prefer single-player or cooperative multiplayer.)

I'll rethink things here and might do the mix and match when season 9 hits