What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Another 1st Contact Day ruined

Comments

• rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kolbrandr wrote: »
    What are you giving up again, exactly?

Something I didn't have before, obviously.

Recently a lot of decisions have been made by Cryptic that seem to see the tension between newer and older players as a zero sum game.

The winter event, as I showed, was an excellent example of how to sidestep that trap.

It's a pity that that thinking was not carried over into this event.
  • captaincrane73captaincrane73 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    AGAIN!!!

The Same TRIBBLE again!, I like having the flag ships around don't get me wrong, but the same pets, same prizes for a third year in a row, not many people are without these things barely anyone uses space pets anymore, and it's just so tacky now (barring the romulan stuff)

I've got more phoenixes than I can handle, turn them into disposable hangar pets then they'd be useful. CHANGE THE DAMN REWARD!!!

Do a Cochrane coat, or a tribute to worf's one handed blade we often see him use, SOMETHING DIFFERENT!!!

http://filmladd.com/images/CenterOfTheUniverse.jpg

Like someone else had said, it would be cool if they had other rewards as well. But think about how far behind new people would be the following years to come.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    am I the only person who had an option to choose a box of marks instead of the pet?
  • betaborgbetaborg Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    OP would you rather prefer another 14 day reputation grind?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Originally Posted by tacofangs
    I can develop the game just fine without visiting the forums.
  • kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    am I the only person who had an option to choose a box of marks instead of the pet?

Nope - you are not. :)
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited April 2014

There was an option?

*cuddles Phoenix pet tenderly*
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Ruined?! 35 Marks of Choice + 10 Lobi for a 5 minutes mission, I'd call that a huge success! :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited April 2014
    There was an option?

*cuddles Phoenix pet tenderly*

it was, I got the pet too but if I had already had it 35 marks for a 5 minute mission woulda been a HELL of a reward
  • umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I actually thought this year's First Contact Event raised previous standards dramatically.

I got to:
    - Talk to 3 different bridge crew whom had full voice-over dialogue.
    - Visited flagship bridges. I had never set foot on the Scimitar bridge before.
    - Benefit from a lobi crystals, and likely will be able to get them again tomorrow (based on the box being 'daily')
    - Fly around the three faction flagships. Powers/layouts were a bit wonky, but I never flew a Scimitar or a Bortasqu before or fiddled with all their special consoles.
    - picked a choice of unique pet/melee weapon or marks, after a mission layout that's as easy to complete as most 480 dilithium daily missions.

Today, I covered those with my 5 characters (2 feds, 1 fed-rom, 2 klinks) and I've walked away very satisfied. I can say I liked year 4's first contact day more than I liked the Year 3 and Year 4 anniversary events.

There's rewards for coming back, but no grind, no carrot on the end of a stick making me feeling obligated to return to the game tomorrow or I'll miss something huge, no drudgery. Basically, it just feels inviting more than anything else.

Hopefully, this kind of positive reinforcement will help the Devs figure out, along with their metrics, what players end up finding the most satisfying. I mean... full-voiced dialogue on everything, in a way which made the first contact event a continuity of the 'A Step Between Stars' mission?

What else can I say, really? I'm happy.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I was surprised by this and appreciate the lobi. Really enjoyed the mission as well. Excellent work guys.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well I have wanted a Nanov pet since I first saw them, never really saw the appeal of Eppohs. Finally I get one. Would like to be able to raise it into a combat pet. Though I can see the problem, imagine the damage a full grown Nanov would do if someone popped a disco ball, "Everybody dance now" bang goes ESD.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Lobi?!! I missed that! :eek:
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Far better than i was expecting.

Decent little mission that was actually new and relevant to the ongoing story.

And the daily reward box was a nice surprise.

I'd have still liked a new cosmetic item for the Feds (Cochranes hat ftw), a small souvenir that is unique to the year.

However, I'm bound to say this was not the lazy knock off i feared it would be.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    My only compliants, why are the Klingons being jerks to a very high ranking officer?
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    http://filmladd.com/images/CenterOfTheUniverse.jpg

Like someone else had said, it would be cool if they had other rewards as well. But think about how far behind new people would be the following years to come.

not if the alternative reward was not an item to keep but an item to use once like dilithium, lobi, EC or even GPL, or maybe some consumables of some kind even.
    if they did that every year offered the standard prizes like the phoenix for new players and just consumable items for seasoned players when they ran this event then new players would not have to worry about playing catchup, they would not have to worry over thinking up a different prize and nobody would feel left out.
    what could be more simple?

as it stands now you have what sounds like a cracking good event that is pointless for 90% of characters to bother with, I think that's very sad. :(

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    How can anyone complain about this event? It really has it all: Free Lobi, no grind, voiceovers, relevant mission, day of honor acronym spells DOH, test drive flagships with amusing boff power layouts, ... I'd say first contact day has been a success! :)
    edited April 2014
    not if the alternative reward was not an item to keep but an item to use once like dilithium, lobi, EC or even GPL, or maybe some consumables of some kind even.
    if they did that every year offered the standard prizes like the phoenix for new players and just consumable items for seasoned players when they ran this event then new players would not have to worry about playing catchup, they would not have to worry over thinking up a different prize and nobody would feel left out.

as it stands now you have what sounds like a cracking good event that is pointless for 90% of characters to bother with, I think that's very sad. :(

Did you even try it yet? When I completed it, I had a choice between 1440 Dil or 10 Lobi and a choice between a bat'leth or marks. So there is definitely a choice, plus no damn grind :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014

congrats Bobby you've described exactly what they've done. apparently Cryptic aren't as stupid as you think they are
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Ruined!

How dare they not turn this into a multi-day grindfest!

That's sarcasm, in case your sarcasm detectors are malfunctioning. There's a part of me that wishes they would change up the rewards, but at the same time I appreciate a recurring award, as it'd be a shame for new characters to miss out on time-limited things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87ra6qKzXDA
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
    edited April 2014
    Did you even try it yet? When I completed it, I had a choice between 1440 Dil or 10 Lobi and a choice between a bat'leth or marks. So there is definitely a choice, plus no damn grind :D

i didnt bother trying as there was no mention of this so i had no idea about that, thats what i have been taking about all along, but there is no mention of alternative rewards in the news blog, the only items listed as rewards are the replica of the Phoenix, the Tritanium Rending Bat’leth and the nanov pet.
    no alternatives are listed at all or even mention that alternative rewards are available.
    congrats Bobby you've described exactly what they've done. apparently Cryptic aren't as stupid as you think they are

it would have been great if they actually said about this so players are aware, were not all psychic you know, we need to be informed of these things.

edit --

so I have played the missions now and I can only say that it is still disappointing.
    did it with my fed first, nice reward = choice of marks and choice of lobi or dilithium package = cool
    then with klink, not so good = choice of marks but no lobi or dilithium = not cool
    finally rom, not so good = choice of marks but no lobi or dilithium = not cool

whether the lobi or dilithium was only for the first character played or whether it is only available for feds I don't know but basically the lobi or dilithium reward should have been made available to all characters regardless of anything, still I spose its better then nothing.

• naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Personally I liked the "redone" First Contact Day.

Basicly it rewarded the same items like before but I love the voice overs. To be honest: I didn't know that O'Briens son was a member of ther Enterprise F.
    I got the Phoenix Pet two years ago but with all the additions put into this event it was a pleasure to play even without a "reward".

The only thing I've missed this time was Utopia because it's still a wonderful designed map to hang around even without a so called "reward".
    edited April 2014
    i didnt bother trying as there was no mention of this so i had no idea about that, thats what i have been taking about all along, but there is no mention of alternative rewards in the news blog, the only items listed as rewards are the replica of the Phoenix, the Tritanium Rending Bat’leth and the nanov pet.
    no alternatives are listed at all or even mention that alternative rewards are available.

it would have been great if they actually said about this so players are aware, were not all psychic you know, we need to be informed of these things.

edit --

so I have played the missions now and I can only say that it is still disappointing.
    did it with my fed first, nice reward = choice of marks and choice of lobi or dilithium package = cool
    then with klink, not so good = choice of marks but no lobi or dilithium = not cool
    finally rom, not so good = choice of marks but no lobi or dilithium = not cool

whether the lobi or dilithium was only for the first character played or whether it is only available for feds I don't know but basically the lobi or dilithium reward should have been made available to all characters regardless of anything, still I spose its better then nothing.

Basically you get the Dil/Lobi reward once a day on only one character, the first one you run the mission. But yeah, it's better than nothing and at least no grind heh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    Basically you get the Dil/Lobi reward once a day on only one character, the first one you run the mission. But yeah, it's better than nothing and at least no grind heh.

indeed, and if i had known all this before hand i could have played the missions over my fed kdf and rom characters over 3 differant days and it would have been like each one got the same reward.
    come on cryptic lets have complete information when you do these events so we dont have to find out second hand from other players what the situation is, we should have known all these details when you released the news so we could plan our play long before the event started.

edited April 2014
    indeed, and if i had known all this before hand i could have played the missions over my fed kdf and rom characters over 3 differant days and it would have been like each one got the same reward.
    come on cryptic lets have complete information when you do these events so we dont have to find out second hand from other players what the situation is, we should have known all these details when you released the news so we could plan our play long before the event started.

I agree there was no reason for them not to note it somewhere, so players could have planned out the event. But you can still do it on all your characters if you want for the marks. And as far as the Lobi, you can send through account bank and Dil through exchange.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    How can anyone complain about this event? It really has it all: Free Lobi, no grind, voiceovers, relevant mission, day of honor acronym spells DOH, test drive flagships with amusing boff power layouts, ... I'd say first contact day has been a success! :)

yeah I'm really not sure how anyone could complain about this.
    edited April 2014
    I agree there was no reason for them not to note it somewhere, so players could have planned out the event. But you can still do it on all your characters if you want for the marks. And as far as the Lobi, you can send through account bank and Dil through exchange.

I know all about transferring dil and lobi but try telling that to my kdf and rom toons they have both gone off in a sulk because they didn't get the same reward as my fed I they think cryptic dosent love them anymore.

still its not to late, if i get it for my kdf tonight and my rom tomorrow, that's sure to cheer them up, that's providing its once a day for the dil bonus and not once for the whole event.

edited April 2014
    I know all about transferring dil and lobi but try telling that to my kdf and rom toons they have both gone off in a sulk because they didn't get the same reward as my fed I they think cryptic dosent love them anymore.

still its not to late, if i get it for my kdf tonight and my rom tomorrow, that's sure to cheer them up, that's providing its once a day for the dil bonus and not once for the whole event.

LoL, My rom gets all the goodies and my fed and kdf understand what you're saying :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • silverwidow2silverwidow2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Don't know about everyone else but I like easy dillithium :D
    edited April 2014
    Don't know about everyone else but I like easy dillithium :D

I like easy dilithium but easy girls are more fun. :D

• monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's probably been said a million times but........you get a box with a choice of 10 lobi or 1440 dilithium once per day per account on the first character you do the event on. I found that out the first day but only by reading other player's comments on the forums because the damned dev blog never mentioned it. The dev blog also never mentioned that you can do the mission once every 20 hours and have a choice of 35 marks box or the pets/bat'leth.

You're suppose to only get the pet/bat'leth once per character but I never tried claiming another. I did notice something though, in the list of rewards for the mission it showed the nanov pet as 'Binds on equip' (didn't bother to check the phoenix or bat'leth). Seriously? It binds to character when you obtain it. You can't equip a non-combat pet. The info on the pet and tooltip doesn't indicate that it's 1 per character but it's suppose to be.

I'm getting sick of switching characters and constantly hearing that voiceover "You will not die thisss day". Exiting the game and relaunching seems to fix it, but that's time consuming when doing it on 11 characters a day, most of which I'm not gonna bother with anymore. So I just switch characters and put up with the voiceover playing every time I enter a mission until I get done on all my toons. I'll just do it once per day to get the lobi from now on.