test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please, Cryptic: UPDATE THE IN-GAME MAIL SYSTEM

kemchakemcha Member Posts: 343 Arc User
I don't know if this has been addressed here but would Cryptic please, please, please: DISABLE THE EXCHANGE MAIL MESSAGES?

I swear, I spend more of my time deleting exchange mail messages than I do playing this STUPID BLOODY GAME. What makes it more infuriating is that there is no option to disable what everyone is now calling "Exchange Mail" or better yet, an option to where you can click a "checkbox" next to the mail message and mass delete your messages.

Cryptic's in-game mail system is such a pathetic joke that they obviously wanted to make this game as infuriating as possible. Some of us have given up on the in-game mail system and stopped deleting messages.

PLEASE, UPDATE THE IN-GAME MAIL SYSTEM TO GIVE US BETTER OPTIONS AT MANAGING OUR MAIL MESSAGES.
possibilities are a thing of hope, sometimes it drives us toward something better
Post edited by kemcha on

Comments

• tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    /signed .
    pvp = small package
  • elvnswordselvnswords Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    /signed!

Combined with the delete bug I am dealing with myself, I don't really get mail from anywhere else...
  • capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Very much this.

A check box and delete system would be great, instead of click, click, click, one mesage gone.

And then the Exchange mail doubler.

Please only send me messages about things that where not bought and returned to me......
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well, thats not really a mail issue, but an exchange issue. If the exchange had a proper sales log tab, it wouldn't need to spam us with mail all the time. The sales reports are the only way keeping track of what's sold and at what price, I wouldn't like being forced to keep manual notes of everything or going through my sales lists all the time to see of something's disappeared. An option to disable the reports entirely would only help players who just don't care about their sales at all, so I do believe it would be more constructive to be asking for a log tab instead.

And there is no logical reason the sales should ever "expire" at all, since there is no listing fee and the number of outstanding listings per character is strictly limited. They should just stay up until canceled or sold and save everyone a whole lot of useless work running between mail and exchange consoles picking them up and putting them back. And if the sales absolutely have to expire for some reason, the items should at least stay in the exchange (preferably in a separate tab), to be picked up or relisted with a single click.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I suppose the Mail system is a bit of a redheaded step child, considering how well developed (IMO) the chat and account system is otherwise.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • ishapza1ishapza1 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    warpangel wrote: »
    Well, thats not really a mail issue, but an exchange issue. If the exchange had a proper sales log tab, it wouldn't need to spam us with mail all the time. The sales reports are the only way keeping track of what's sold and at what price, I wouldn't like being forced to keep manual notes of everything or going through my sales lists all the time to see of something's disappeared. An option to disable the reports entirely would only help players who just don't care about their sales at all, so I do believe it would be more constructive to be asking for a log tab instead.

And there is no logical reason the sales should ever "expire" at all, since there is no listing fee and the number of outstanding listings per character is strictly limited. They should just stay up until canceled or sold and save everyone a whole lot of useless work running between mail and exchange consoles picking them up and putting them back. And if the sales absolutely have to expire for some reason, the items should at least stay in the exchange (preferably in a separate tab), to be picked up or relisted with a single click.

Ditto on the log and non- expiry of sales. This is just bad planning and making fun into work.
  • kemchakemcha Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I wish someone from Cryptic would overhaul the In-Game MAIL system because the so-called "exchange mail" is sucking the enjoyment right out of this game.
    possibilities are a thing of hope, sometimes it drives us toward something better
  • chrismullins1987chrismullins1987 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Agreed whole heartedly

This is so irritating as my inbox is spammed with mail from the exchange it has got to a point where there is more than I could ever hope to (sanely) delete.

Tick boxes, delete all (from sender) or blocking Exchange mail altogether would be great updates.
  • kiriseekirisee Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I would have to agree, the mail system is the worst of any mmo i've played?.it really needs ALOT of love?.lol
    "If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
  • mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    kemcha wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been addressed here but would Cryptic please, please, please: DISABLE THE EXCHANGE MAIL MESSAGES?

I swear, I spend more of my time deleting exchange mail messages than I do playing this STUPID BLOODY GAME. What makes it more infuriating is that there is no option to disable what everyone is now calling "Exchange Mail" or better yet, an option to where you can click a "checkbox" next to the mail message and mass delete your messages.

Cryptic's in-game mail system is such a pathetic joke that they obviously wanted to make this game as infuriating as possible. Some of us have given up on the in-game mail system and stopped deleting messages.

PLEASE, UPDATE THE IN-GAME MAIL SYSTEM TO GIVE US BETTER OPTIONS AT MANAGING OUR MAIL MESSAGES.

I agree an overhaul of the mail system is needed. Today I tried to contact a bunch of people through mail. This was the result:

[8:02] [System] [MailSendFailed] Unable to send email, the recipient's mail box is full.
    [8:03] [System] [MailSendFailed] Unable to send email, the recipient's mail box is full.
    [8:04] [System] [MailSendFailed] Unable to send email, the recipient's mail box is full.
    [8:04] [System] [MailSendFailed] Unable to send email, the recipient's mail box is full.
    [8:05] [System] [MailSendFailed] Unable to send email, the recipient's mail box is full.
    [8:06] [System] [MailSendFailed] Unable to send email, the recipient's mail box is full.
    [8:06] [System] [MailSendFailed] Unable to send email, the recipient's mail box is full.
    [8:07] [System] [MailSendFailed] Unable to send email, the recipient's mail box is full.
    [8:07] [System] [MailSendFailed] Unable to send email, the recipient's mail box is full.
    [8:08] [System] [MailSendFailed] Unable to send email, the recipient's mail box is full.
    [8:08] [System] [MailSendFailed] Unable to send email, the recipient's mail box is full.
    [8:09] [System] [MailSendFailed] Unable to send email, the recipient's mail box is full.
    [8:09] [System] [MailSendFailed] Unable to send email, the recipient's mail box is full.
    [8:10] [System] [MailSendFailed] Unable to send email, the recipient's mail box is full.
    [8:10] [System] [MailSendFailed] Unable to send email, the recipient's mail box is full.
    [8:11] [System] [MailSendFailed] Unable to send email, the recipient's mail box is full.
    [8:11] [System] [MailSendFailed] Unable to send email, the recipient's mail box is full.

Now please tell me how all of these will be able to read that message? They won't. And that stinks as they were important mails. The limit put in place on how many mail can be stored is more trouble then it is worth. Especially when it comes to fleet mails or other important mails that may include very important information.

Some changes needs to be made, as the last changes they made were and still are a nightmare.
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Just thought I would ask.
    Anyone else get a glitch that won't let you delete emails for a week?

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • erectus1erectus1 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yepp, the MAIL system is very annoying indeed. I have 9 toons, i do whatever I can with all of them and sell the loot, from missions or "mobs". And i also have hundreds of mails from exchange, is really frustrating to spend 2-3 hours a week deleting them. Many times happend that i was clicking like a mad deleting the mails from exchange i accidentally i deleted also valuable stuff that was returned to me. The ideas about the stuff put at exchange that never expire is greate. Or that one with a different tab for expired items. And when the items are returned to you, you have to reinitialize the search for the price, click on "quality" then check the properly tab for each item before hitting search. And after posting an item for sale, repeat that hundreds of times. Is not that funny. Why doesn't the exchange search for items work on "ALL", tab, and we have to browse for every item? And a "delete all" button would be greate. So..looks like the exchange and the mail still have issues. We hope for a patch soon, only for this. maybe I'll go to sleep, I might have a better dream...:mad:
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If STO's new exalted leader wants to work on outstanding bugs and QoL issues... We used to be able to mass delete mail from the startrekonline.com website before it was forcefully merged with PWE's infrastructure.

The in-game mail needs:

1. Selection check boxes next to every message
    2. Delete selected messages button
    3. A master "select all/none" check box toggle at the top
    4. Search box for messages
    5. Option to disable Item Sold exchange mails
    6. Functional highlights, cursor position, copy & paste, for BOTH the mail composition window and for reading a received message. Currently this is buggy and is half-functional at best. It used to be better and was broken several seasons ago.
    7. Ability to quote message when replying
    8. Save drafts for later?
    9. Permanent solution to prevent duplicate and immortal unkillable exchange messages in the future (because this bug has been "fixed" and reverted in the past I have no expectation that it was actually permanently fixed and believe it'll break again in the future)
    10. Fix for this. I mean really can't you just limit the number of attachments instead of the number of messages? [8:06] [System] [MailSendFailed] Unable to send email, the recipient's mail box is full.
    11. CC and BCC fields

warpangel wrote: »

Agreed. The exchange has been in long need of an update. Heck they already have a sales log for the Dilithium exchange, why can't the regular exchange be retrofitted with this tech in a new tab at the top?

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • arcjetarcjet Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The in-game mail needs:

1. Selection check boxes next to every message
    2. Delete selected messages button
    3. A master "select all/none" check box toggle at the top
    4. Search box for messages
    6. Functional highlights, cursor position, copy & paste, for BOTH the mail composition window and for reading a received message. Currently this is buggy and is half-functional at best. It used to be better and was broken several seasons ago.
    7. Ability to quote message when replying
    8. Save drafts for later?
    9. Permanent solution to prevent duplicate and immortal unkillable exchange messages in the future (because this bug has been "fixed" and reverted in the past I have no expectation that it was actually permanently fixed and believe it'll break again in the future)
    10. Fix for this. I mean really can't you just limit the number of attachments instead of the number of messages? [8:06] [System] [MailSendFailed] Unable to send email, the recipient's mail box is full.
    11. CC and BCC fields

This would be awesome.

One thing is missing, though:
    - Context-Sensitive Rightclick Functionality

Hell, I want to attach items to mails with a single rightclick, when 'compose mail' is open and active. Can't be that hard, can it?
    And while you're at it, add that functionality to bank and inventory/fitting.

Hell, if that's too much to ask, can we at least have a function key like Ctrl for it? Hold Ctrl and each rightclick will attach items to mail, put them in the bank, or equip them on your ship or character, if the appropriate window is currently open.

Please, please, pretty please!
    Reducing mouse-clicks is a huge step towards better usability and perceived 'quality'.

Oh, and one last thing:
    Having that 'split stack' window pop up every time you want to attach an item-stack to a mail is both annoying and inefficient. In the majority of cases this is not helpful! Instead it just adds two additional mouse-movements and one click as redundant overhead to the operation.
    edited February 2014
    Or if you click in any of the 5 attachment slots in the compose window, the same functionality of the quick equip or the exchange window should pop up with a list of things you can attach from your inventory.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
    edited March 2014

and/or option to toggle Daily exchange Sold email digest at the user's discretion instead of per-item Sold notifications. (Expired messages would always still be 1 per item.)

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Having the option to export mail to a text file or similar.

I lost a LOT of important, personal mail when that mail crisis occurred last year.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Having the option to export mail to a text file or similar.

I lost a LOT of important, personal mail when that mail crisis occurred last year.

I have this habit of taking screenshots of my mailbox. The best ones I saved were infractions and dropping of the ban hammer in the old forums...back when the forum mail and in-game mail were still tied together. Would be nice if they still were.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • towdogtowdog Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I just wanted to get ALL the mail deleted so I could at least start over, here's the answer I got:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

Unfortunately, we cannot assist you with your request. Due to privacy reasons, only players can access, manage, and delete their in-game mails.

We appreciate your understanding with this matter.

Regards,

Perfect World Support

Mail system is useless...