test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So...just hit 50. Kar'Fi or B'rel?

rerednawrerednaw Member Posts: 159 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Klingon Discussion
My experience with carriers has been with the Obelisk. Nice pets and offense but the slow turn is a tough sell.

My experience with Enhanced Battle Cloak has been with the T'Varo. Very nice feature, agile, can hit like a brick as a torp build.

Look-wise I like the appearance of the B'rel...

So which should I go with? Like aspects of both...but not sure.

What did you pick and why?

Currently flying the Dyson (event) ship.
Post edited by rerednaw on

Comments

• kolbrandrkolbrandr Member Posts: 266
    edited March 2014
    If I could respend the C-points, I probably would have gone with the Kar'fi.

I love the B'rel, but you will probably get more end-game utility out of the Kar'fi.
  • catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited March 2014
    I don't like slow carriers, so I prefer the B'rel... but, if you like the Obelisk, then I think the Karfi is going to suit you better.

When the T'varo can unleash a spread or HY, a Breen Cluster (in some combo) and then the Destabilized Plasma, which helps recharge everything... then launch another HY or spread, plus another Cluster, all in pretty rapid succession? I think the T'varo is, far and away, the superior torpedo killer.

The B'rel can do something like that, but not like the T'varo in any way. Plus, you throw in Rom Op crits with the T'varo, which don't truly have an equivalent on the B'rel. Really, the B'rel is fun because you can slot high-end Science and still have at least Lieutenant Tac BOFFs, whereas the T'varo has a Commander Tac & Ensign Tac, and then you have to make a hard choice with the Lt.Com universal. (I always go Lt.Com Tac in the T'varo because I know the T'varo is a poor imitation of what the B'rel can do.)

B'rel seems more about utility as a torpedo boat, and not what the T'varo is, which is a killer. Maybe with Flank that changes, but we don't have Flanking.

So, if you like carriers, then get the carrier. The B'rel isn't really set up to be much like the T'varo.

I love the B'rel, though.
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hmmmm.....a very different pair of ships. Each one amazing in it's own role.

I guess it would have to come to you and your preferred playstyle on this one - they're too different to really compare and both ships are ton of fun in game.

The Kar'fi is truly an amazing carrier - it packs a strong punch, turns like an Excelsior (what I consider really good for beam builds), strong shields, it's a great mix of tactical and science and can really, truly bring the pain on the playing field. Even without using pets at all - 4 Tac + 4 Sci consoles and 4/3 weapons layout - it's a beast. It also has access to one of the best frigate pets - the Fer'jai, plus it has access to the wide array of KDF hangar pets many of which are truly great. Even has the special console that enables phase cloaking. It's great, especially in PvE.
    Personally, I think there's no chance you can go wrong with a Kar'fi.

On the other hand, there's the iconinc B'rel. It's a Klingon raider and as I've said many times before - the Birds of Prey are the most fun ship class in STO for me. They're also the hardest one to master.
    The B'rel, like all the BoPs has the ability to become whatever you need it to be due to the all universal Boff seating, but the B'rel has the edge of the enhanced battle cloak that enables the use of science abilities from cloak, while making the ship itself very science heavy due to the universal Boff seating - turning the B'rel into the ultimate troll ship in PvP, but also very usefull in many PvE instances if the player knows how to utilize it. It also is the fastest ship in STO with the turn rate of 23.
    Don't forget that with Season 9, the B'rel will get new improvements - a 10% boost in hull, the flanking mechanic (+25% damage vs NPC and +8% damage vs PC while flanking) and also an 10% damage bonus from decloaking, if the decloak alpha is engaged while flanking. Needles to say, I expect this to improve the ship quite some and in theory the recent changes to reputation passives may enable combinations that would further boost the B'rel in the role of a stealth torp bomber.

At the end of the day - it's your choice. When people ask on the forums which ship to get, my answer is usually either - pick the one you like the looks of, because that's what you're gonna be looking at for a long time after. If you like the ship, you'll have the passion to make it work. (Thats why I still use a Galaxy-R :D), or pick the ship class that suits your playstyle the best, because that's guaranteed fun.
    Personally, I couldn't really recommend one of these two - they're both great ships on their own terms, that's why I wrote the short summaries instead in hopes that it might make your choice a little bit easier. :)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rerednaw wrote: »
    My experience with carriers has been with the Obelisk. Nice pets and offense but the slow turn is a tough sell.

My experience with Enhanced Battle Cloak has been with the T'Varo. Very nice feature, agile, can hit like a brick as a torp build.

Look-wise I like the appearance of the B'rel...

So which should I go with? Like aspects of both...but not sure.

What did you pick and why?

Currently flying the Dyson (event) ship.

Your options are among the most widely different playstyles within the KDF. That said, compared to what you've played:

Kar'Fi - The Kar'Fi has a much better turn rate than the Obelisk. It has a very strong TAC & SCI alignment, esp. the Fleet version. The ship itself moves well enough and hits hard. On top of that, the Fer'Jai Frigates are tough and present good firepower. Together, it's a very hard hitting team. The only weakness is the poor ENG capability and the lowest hull of all the Carriers in the game. If you know how to make ships with only Lt ENG survive, then you will have no problems with the Kar'Fi.

B'Rel - The KDF BOPs move as fast as the T'Varo but have a superior turn rate. The T'Varo by its nature can hit harder with its 4 TAC Consoles. While the T'Varo has some flexibility with its BOFF setup, the KDF BOPs are completely Universal. The Fleet B'Rel however is stradled with a very questionable 4th ENG Console slot. Would have been better for it to be a TAC or SCI Console Slot instead. Also, due to the Romulan/Reman BOFFs and their BOFF traits, you can have a much shorter Cloak cooldown than anything the KDF can hope for, even with Embassy BOFFs. You can get that Cloak cooldown on a Warbird down to 9 seconds. The KDF can have it down to 15 or so seconds. That 6 second difference is a LONG, LONG time, esp. in PVP. Another issue is that T'Varo's are tougher than KDF BOPs. Be warned. However, the B'Rel is one of those long lasting icons of Star Trek. It looks great, and the new Type 3 skin looks damn fabulous on the B'Rel.
    XzRTofz.gif
    edited March 2014
    However, the B'Rel is one of those long lasting icons of Star Trek. It looks great, and the new Type 3 skin looks damn fabulous on the B'Rel.

Agreed. Switched to the Type 3 ever since it was made availible and the B'rel looks great with that hull material.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • njannonjanno Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Do i still have to buy the C-Store Kar'fi to be able to buy S'Kul or Fer'jai hangar bays for the Fleet Kar'fi?
    edited March 2014
    njanno wrote: »
    Do i still have to buy the C-Store Kar'fi to be able to buy S'Kul or Fer'jai hangar bays for the Fleet Kar'fi?

Although I'm not 100% sure about the S'kul fighters, I think you don't need to have the C-Store Kar'fi in order to have access to them.

For the Fer'jai however, you need to have the C-Store Kar'fi. I think that's stupid, but it is what it is.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • njannonjanno Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    Although I'm not 100% sure about the S'kul fighters, I think you don't need to have the C-Store Kar'fi in order to have access to them.

For the Fer'jai however, you need to have the C-Store Kar'fi. I think that's stupid, but it is what it is.

Thanks! Will buy the C-Store first :(
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    shpoks wrote: »

Yeah, the situation is the same for other ships with ship-specific/unique hangar units from what I've heard on various chats. Players couldn't get the Atrox Stalkers unless they had the C-Store Kitteh Carrier. Players couldn't get the Elite BOPs for the Fleet Vo'Quv unless they had a regular Vo'Quv. Same with the Kar'Fi & Fer'Jai.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • sardizasardiza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yea, it's something to keep in mind if you're going to go the carrier route as KDF; it'll take some additional Zen investment to "unlock" all the pets if you're looking for the maximum variety of hangar pets.

Of course, I think a Fleet Kar'fi could coast through PvE happily spamming the two reputation pets (elite Scorpions and Widows); what my Jem Dread has to do... thanks Cryptic! :(
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    B'rel carrier Kafari unless you are Orion then the the orion carrier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    age03 wrote: »
    B'rel carrier Kafari unless you are Orion then the the orion carrier.

Or do the smart thing if youre going Carrier and buy an orion ship too so you can use Slavers on your Karfi.

Personally, I've flown both. The Kar'fi is more practical and earns you a lot of money with Elire Orion Slavers. But it also turns like a glacier.

I currently fly a B'Rel because it's iconic, it can do alot of damage and its really flexible allowing you to do a ton of unique builds with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,667 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Or do the smart thing if youre going Carrier and buy an orion ship too so you can use Slavers on your Karfi.

Personally, I've flown both. The Kar'fi is more practical and earns you a lot of money with Elire Orion Slavers. But it also turns like a glacier.

I currently fly a B'Rel because it's iconic, it can do alot of damage and its really flexible allowing you to do a ton of unique builds with it.

All KDF/KDF Allied Roms can use Orion Slavers regardless of what ships are owned. You might be thinking of the Orion Interceptors, which do require a C-Store Dacoit to be purchasable.