test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Yet another broken science build

the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
For those who don't know I'm speaking only of PVE.

Thanks Cryptic for destroying one of the few science space builds with the changes to the Romulan Sensor Assault reputation trait.

I actually thought for a moment that you were making progress in making available more skills that would allow science captains the ability to make something other than a tractor beam build or the typical anomoly build but here we are once again with yet another unnecessary change to the science builds a class that's already suffered entirely too much and in which half of the skills have long been beyond useless in space combat.

I had a working sensor build and it was great. It allowed me the ability to use skills like FAW without worry that I'd somehow draw too much aggro. To actually be a useful member of the DPS team without resorting to cannons, and to disrupt the enemies without becoming the priority target that using skills like jam sensors/ scramble sensors often makes science ships after those skills wear off.

My build was like this: Sensors/Countermeasure Systems maxed , Genetic Resequencer: Intimidating Strikes, Research Lab Scientist (Placate with Charged Particle Burst), Typical sensor skills (jam/confuse), and of course Sensor Assault.

You see it would be fine if we had some sort of science consoles that made this possible but we don't. Romulan science consoles hardly keep the aggro off of us when we are NOT using skills like FAW. There are no Doff's that allow for science skills like the Sensor skills to have half the cooldown or suddenly instantly become available again based on our Aux power level like other Doffs that other types of captains enjoy.

I actually thought for a moment there when you added Intimidating Strikes and Sensor Assault that you were giving science captains a chance to actually make something other than the two builds that are useful in PVE right now (Anomolies / Tractor Beams) but I was mistaken.

This is a terrible idea. Unless you offer a Doff or some skill while revamping science trained skills in some future patch, science will once again be on the losing end because of this change.

Thanks alot.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    In all honesty, the Tier IV New Romulus Placate and the Intimidating Strikes Confuse trait should have never been created. I am very happy for the change to Sensor Targeting Assault.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I honestly don't agree.

A science ship should be almost as capable of tanking aggro as a cruiser. Why is that a problem?

Not to mention something is honestly a bit off if a science vessel is capable of taking aggro away from DPS members of the team.

What does a build like this give to the team? I can't see how a build like this would be superior to CC builds that can both take aggro, survive and control.

I don't think this buildstyle is 'broken' to any degree - I can't see how it was viable in the first place.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    scurry5 wrote: »
    I honestly don't agree.

A science ship should be almost as capable of tanking aggro as a cruiser. Why is that a problem?

Not to mention something is honestly a bit off if a science vessel is capable of taking aggro away from DPS members of the team.

What does a build like this give to the team? I can't see how a build like this would be superior to CC builds that can both take aggro, survive and control.

I don't think this buildstyle is 'broken' to any degree - I can't see how it was viable in the first place.

Don't fret now they have to worry about constant weapons offline being spammed, along with the new change to sensor analysis being able to be applied to foes and teammates, not only giving yourself dps improvement, or aiding a selected ally all while applying a healing loss of 50% to the opponent from incoming heals by others.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• blessedladyboyblessedladyboy Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't see the point of your argument. You like the ROM placate because it draws away aggro? You realise everyone else on your team has the same passive or the very least half? How do you make a build around that?
    Use embassy threat consoles, then its part of your build and not a random variable.
  • wr3knar21wr3knar21 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Don't fret now they have to worry about constant weapons offline being spammed, along with the new change to sensor analysis being able to be applied to foes and teammates, not only giving yourself dps improvement, or aiding a selected ally all while applying a healing loss of 50% to the opponent from incoming heals by others.

By spammed, do you mean once every 20 seconds? That the rate limiter which was discussed in the Dev blog.
  • chrisbrown12009chrisbrown12009 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I use sci in pve and pvp and i dont use grav well at all. In an advanced dyson, i can put out good dps with cannons, and then drain the pve targets of energy and subsystems, when they have them. Pesky tac cube? Doffed VM3 and ES2. Takes care of that. Sci isnt dead if you know what youre doing.

The rom T4 change makes my biuld even better. With that, i could potentally shut down your entire ship with weapons and whatever i subsystem target guaranteed to suffer. That doesnt even count the effects of Doffed VM3 and doffed ES2. I even have TR1 for icing. I have been shuting ships off in kerrat for weeks now. And im not even a sci captain...... Could you imagine adding subnuke to my biuld.......
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    scurry5 wrote: »
    I honestly don't agree.

You must know that this doesn't work that way.

I've played science from day one, I've seen all of their incarnations, the only saving grace recently has been the ability to purchase the cruiser and the new dyson vessel having multiple shield heal options, meanwhile all of the other science vessels are still behind the times and don't have any means to compete with the consoles only available on the dyson. Add to that the inherent weakness of beams, the terribly short duration of the beam abilities even the doff ones, a class that has half the skills still not updated after all this time to make it a formitable class during a season that was meant to be all about science (ahem Voyager was not a cruiser) and you've got the typical BS that science captains have been dealing with for years now from these developers.

I simply can't imagine what these people are thinking over there. I really don't. It's not only insulting, but it's highly unprofessional for them to allow these things to occur.

There's simply better ways of handling PVP balance, such as cutting off PVP access to reputation passives when one enters a PVP zone.

I have Isis btw, she is definitely NOT a good substitute.

They owe science captains an apology and they owe science captains an alternative at this point in time.
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I use sci in pve and pvp and i dont use grav well at all. In an advanced dyson, i can put out good dps with cannons, and then drain the pve targets of energy and subsystems, when they have them. Pesky tac cube? Doffed VM3 and ES2. Takes care of that. Sci isnt dead if you know what youre doing.

The rom T4 change makes my biuld even better. With that, i could potentally shut down your entire ship with weapons and whatever i subsystem target guaranteed to suffer. That doesnt even count the effects of Doffed VM3 and doffed ES2. I even have TR1 for icing. I have been shuting ships off in kerrat for weeks now. And im not even a sci captain...... Could you imagine adding subnuke to my biuld.......

VM3 is a total joke. The doffs for both the jump and the extended malfunctions hardly if ever work and yes I'm talking about the purples which makes me wonder if they even tested those in the first place.

ES and all of the flow cap abilities have been one of the few DPS options that's remained well in the forefront for a long time now. However, FCap/PartG have been the only two viable options for many seasons due to the problems with the skills how they behave and with bugs with some of the Doffs not triggering. Yes I've put in countless reports.

No one is claiming science is dead but science has needed some serious attention for quite some time now and frankly some of us old heads who remember how it was back in the day when we could actually have more than two options are tired of waiting on them to get around to fixing this class. They need to sit down and take a serious look at all of the skills most players ignore in space combat because frankly they are useless even in PVE.

I seriously thought they had come to their senses when they added these sensor skills so that science captains could rightly sit in the background while enemies targeted the glass cannons and the carriers but here we go again. History repeats itself.
  • chrisbrown12009chrisbrown12009 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Its science needs some work. And the doffs dont go off much, and i have TWO purple for VM... But does work on people. Ive been using it for about a mpnth and i DO shut ships down. Is it as muck as before? No. But it happens.
    As for them fixing sci, they just fixed two things one of which needed fixing. The Q's.and they have made a move to limit power creep. They have even spoken on balencing the classes an making them all, useful. We can only hope. I for one am on the egde of my seat sp to speak, hoping on the fixes.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    wr3knar21 wrote: »
    By spammed, do you mean once every 20 seconds? That the rate limiter which was discussed in the Dev blog.

Hey every 20secs, with a 4sec knockout I will gladly take over nothing.

Course that might get boosted, when they see it is countered easily with captain skills and boff traits and skills, so stay tuned for possible future polishing of it.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Course that might get boosted, when they see it is countered easily with captain skills and boff traits and skills, so stay tuned for possible future polishing of it.

Exactly, as it stands, new placate is worthless. It will be selected only by the ignorant/stupid/hipster.
    edited March 2014

I doubt it will, 20% weapons offline uptime per person firing on a target is pretty mean. Especially if you can somehow incorporate a fakeout with Beam Target Weapon Systems after they clear the first knockout. Under concetrated fire, just forget it, you won't be firing back much at all.
  • wolverine595959wolverine595959 Member Posts: 726
    edited March 2014
    I doubt it will, 20% weapons offline uptime per person firing on a target is pretty mean. Especially if you can somehow incorporate a fakeout with Beam Target Weapon Systems after they clear the first knockout. Under concetrated fire, just forget it, you won't be firing back much at all.

YOu forget about the Warp Core Doff that cleanses all debuffs. With two copies of EPtX and ET, it may not be an issue but throw in the random phaser user you could see some gloriously dead or impotent ships. Sci Ship with a turret boat setup could be very effective with the new placate and phasers and innate beam target skills.
    Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up :rolleyes:
    edited March 2014
    YOu forget about the Warp Core Doff that cleanses all debuffs. With two copies of EPtX and ET, it may not be an issue but throw in the random phaser user you could see some gloriously dead or impotent ships. Sci Ship with a turret boat setup could be very effective with the new placate and phasers and innate beam target skills.

That's a lot of build choices that corner you into a build that is very weak in other aspects. Worrying about builds that spam engineering cleanses is nothing when a subnuke will take care of that.
  • wolverine595959wolverine595959 Member Posts: 726
    edited March 2014
    That's a lot of build choices that corner you into a build that is very weak in other aspects. Worrying about builds that spam engineering cleanses is nothing when a subnuke will take care of that.

The cleanse clears SNB. The Cleanse doff is basically ST/ET cleanse feature that activates on EPtX it allows you to keep ST or ET in our pocket for really bad moments.
    Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up :rolleyes: