test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Graphical issues with new Tribble build

suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Tribble - Bug Reports
My graphics settings have reset after launching the latest Tribble build. I've set them to default anyway and then set everything to the way I'm playing on Holodeck. I made sure I didn't miss anything.

It would seem there's some issue with displaying distant textures. Here are some examples:

Qo'noS Shipyard Bortasqu (Holodeck) - http://i.imgur.com/jZ3SIS3.jpg
Qo'noS Shipyard Bortasqu (Tribble) - http://i.imgur.com/ea7S86H.jpg

As you can see, the one on Tribble is all blurry. The "head" of the ship less so, but it still doesn't look like the one on Tribble.

Qo'noS Shipyard BoP, further (Holodeck) - http://i.imgur.com/M96HTaS.jpg
Qo'noS Shipyard BoP, closer (Holodeck) - http://i.imgur.com/9yZ0Mwi.jpg

Qo'noS Shipyard BoP, further (Tribble) - http://i.imgur.com/ArrDlFk.jpg
Qo'noS Shipyard BoP, closer (Tribble) - http://i.imgur.com/yAIDGXR.jpg

On Holodeck, the ship looks the same regardless of the distance. On Tribble, the moment I come closer the ship's lightning/textures suddenly pop-up differently.

I've noticed similar issue while in ESD Shipyard - http://i.imgur.com/C8qmFHl.jpg (Tribble)
ESD doors in the background as well as lights at the bottom flicker or just disappear depending on camera position. No such issue on Holodeck.

I tried changing some settings on the spot, specifically related to texture distance detail and such, but nothing seems to influence these particular issues.

My specs:
Win XP Home 32Bit (DX9)
AMD Athlon II X2 240
3,1GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 (335.04 drivers, clean install)

I didn't have much time to play on Tribble more to see what else is bugged, but that's what caught my attention after several minutes. I may be wrong, but I also think the overall performance is worse than on Holodeck, despite using the EXACT same video settings.
PyKDqad.jpg
Post edited by suaveks on

Comments

• Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There is a setting that I believe is brand new in this build on Tribble for something called "cinematic focus" or something close to that, and the hover text for the setting says something about camera blur and depth of field. I bet that might be causing it. I disabled that setting before I could see if it was actually doing anything because resetting my graphics settings to match Holodeck was the very first thing I did without looking around.

I can't remember with certainty which of the 3 graphics tabs that one is in.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    There is a setting that I believe is brand new in this build on Tribble for something called "cinematic focus" or something close to that, and the hover text for the setting says something about camera blur and depth of field. I bet that might be causing it.
    Cinematic Focus is also on Holodeck.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ah so it is indeed (looking at comparison of settings right now) and I apparently have it turned on on holodeck and definitely don't have this problem there.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    BTW - there are newer Nvidia WHQL drivers out too - 335.23. (Although in all honesty, I don't think it's a driver issue.)

They didn't mention it in the patch notes, but STO Graphics settings are across 3 spate tabs in the 'Options' window; and when Tribble resets your options to default; they default back to DX9 (Even under Win7 64-Bit OS with an Nvidia GTX 670 installed). You'd think they'd default to DX11 if the OS supports it -- because I thought DX11 support was out of its 'beta phase' in the STO Windows client.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    luke3424luke3424 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm having the same problem, using a 2009 iMac with 10.9.2, ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics card with 256 MB of RAM
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Update:

Ad. Blurr

Blurr is in fact caused by the Cinematic Focus option, but seems to be working differently than on Holodeck.
    CF on - http://i.imgur.com/sMUEm6e.jpg
    CF off - http://i.imgur.com/SLUHH1V.jpg

I've got Cinematic Focus turned on on Holideck and I've never experienced such issues like above, so it's Tribble only. It just seems that this option is now working in a different way. And knowing Cryptic, this will go live as it is, so I might as well be ready to turn it off on the launch date...

Ad. Distance

The distance issue I've described in the OP post is actually caused by the change of "World detail distance" option, which has been changed from a slider to a drop-down menu. On Holodeck I keep it on 100%, which seems to be even lower than the new "Medium". Once I set the option to Low or High, the texture didn't pop-up like it did on "Medium".

Ad. Texture flickering

This one seems to be brand new and no matter how much I tweak the graphics options it doesn't go away.
    Compare the following screenshots:
    http://i.imgur.com/Se3ZhTC.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/lvgY4tA.jpg

I've only moved the camera a little bit, yet you can see that part of the ESD doors in the background disappear, as well as some of the lamps at the bottom.

This might as well be happening only in certain locations, as I haven't seen anything particualrly disturbing outside of the locations from above screenshots. Still, it's different than on Holodeck and certainly out of place.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    ltcmdjamescoreltcmdjamescore Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    As I posted somewhere else, new build doesn't know my NVidia card, only Intel HD graphics.

See settings on tribble:
    http://imgur.com/ZwQcscD

See settings on holodeck:
    http://imgur.com/PNh8DC7

Nice huh?

BIG EDIT:
    My brain is really slow sometimes... Worked around in general settings for applications in Nvidia Settings panel... Happy & relieved :D
    izNBNFT.jpg
  • Options
    quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    my current most used PC for STO is having serious issues with the graphical settings on tribble.
    causes issues with my display driver for my nvida 6150se card . causes a error that the card recovers but but character renderings look like a blurred out mess . but the gui is crisp and clear . so just rendered elements are distorted .
    when sto closes the driver never truly recovers graphical glitches all over the deskstop , which is fixed only by a PC reboot .

those players that have been playing for a while on older spec PC will not be able to play STO if this patch goes live and this isnt corrected .
    while most of you will say "GET A BETTER PC" while that is a option , i feel that since my specs worked before they should continue to work till the game runs its coarse .while i expect certain performance changes , i expect what works now to continue to work . no matter the CONTENT change.
    thank you .
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    Ah! Someone mentioned this in the Tribble patchnotes thread. I wasn't sure what they were talking about.

Looks like Depth of Field is hosed. I'll bring it up with the Grpahics guys tomorrow.

Thanks.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Ah! Someone mentioned this in the Tribble patchnotes thread. I wasn't sure what they were talking about.

Looks like Depth of Field is hosed. I'll bring it up with the Grpahics guys tomorrow.

Thanks.

You can see problems with depth of field by looking out at Earth from the windows of the new Earth Spacedock.

There are also lighting differences between Holodeck and Tribble at Starfleet Academy, as well as problems with the banners.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1052201
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1052421

I've also found some problems with screenshots.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1053291
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No matter what I do with my video settings, I still can't get it to look as good as what I get on holodeck.

Tells me that my type video card most not be supported in this new change for some reason.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 625

I'm majorly bummed out about this fact.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    genhauk wrote: »
    No matter what I do with my video settings, I still can't get it to look as good as what I get on holodeck.

Tells me that my type video card most not be supported in this new change for some reason.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 625

I'm majorly bummed out about this fact.

I have the same problem with a GT630. I have 40fps on holodeck now with all max, and with the same setup on tribble I have 20! This also happend with some of my fleet mates.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I have the same problem with a GT630. I have 40fps on holodeck now with all max, and with the same setup on tribble I have 20! This also happend with some of my fleet mates.

Hope like hell they get this fixed before it goes to holodeck.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    genhauk wrote: »
    Hope like hell they get this fixed before it goes to holodeck.

Considering that its seems that the only ones reporting this are you and me, I would not put too much hope on it.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    fisheye1fisheye1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    When I go into Tribble, the UI looks really good, but all the other graphics are really blurry. What's the problem here? (Also, the advanced graphics settings are on their own tabs now; I don't like that.)
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    fisheye1 wrote: »
    When I go into Tribble, the UI looks really good, but all the other graphics are really blurry. What's the problem here? (Also, the advanced graphics settings are on their own tabs now; I don't like that.)
    Cinematic focus is causing blurry graphics even when not in cutscenes, so go into your video options and turn it off, your video settings were also probably reset to defaults with the last couple of patches, they've changed how things are laid out and how some settings are defined, so you'll have to experiment to get back to where it looks how you like it.
    As for Video settings now being split up on 3 tabs, I guess having the settings all conveniently placed on one tab was too confusing for some people, don't ask me why, I sometimes get a definite designed by Pakleds for Pakleds vibe from some of the things they come up with here.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    dragonsbitedragonsbite Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Cinematic Focus (Depth of Field) appears to be working correctly now. However i would suggest the OP give it a go as it never looked as bad as his did. Guess that Klingon shot has more detail.

The only thing that still bugs me is the Menu for Display. The text/sliders/etc are superimposed. All other tabs look good except that one for some reason. Not a big deal, but annoying none the less.

ESD is using way more cpu and gpu resources then the old ESD. This is most especially noticeable in the hallway south of the tailor looking at the waterfall window. For a single 560ti it maxes at 100% gpu usage. So this 1 vid card can't handle it. And cpu usage goes way up as well. Oddly it's not using all of my cores. Appears to only be using 4 and i have all my cores unparked. Now i'm running a 2500k at 4.43ghz so this really isn't an issue for my cpu. However 1 560ti can't really handle it. This may be problematical for a lot of users.

As i have SLI i went and created or added the profile to get Tribble to work in SLI. Export the star trek online profile using nvidiainspector and edit in notepad as follows. Note the green text is what was added.

<Executeables>
    <string>star trek online/live/gameclient.exe</string>
    <string>star trek online/playtest/gameclient.exe</string>
    <string>binkw32.exe</string>
    </Executeables>

Then import the profile and SLI will now work. GPU usage went down. However even with SLI both cards would peak at 84% gpu usage. Which is accepatable for me. But this does show how much cpu and gpu processing is needed and again lesser systems may have a problem with this. FYI in case you're wondering i have every setting set to MAX.

Perhaps they could optimize ESD graphics a bit more.
    U.S. ARMY CAVALRY SCOUT/DRAGOON DISABLED VETERAN
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tribble graphics settings will not save, everytime i start tribble up its in a windowed mode and the only way to get to it is loading up a toon and adjusting from there. however the other part is alt+tab which i use a lot of the time. it goes from full screen to windows again and i have to press alt+tab again to get into windows. thats annoying to say the least.

another graphics glich i have is to do with shadows or shader or whatever it is, running around on esd you see shadows of things that are not there, almost as if it was a glitch.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Still looks bad for me. No matter what I do with the settings. Shame as I love the graphics on holodeck but tribble is a mess for me.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Same here; the cinematic focus doesn't do crud. What's the problem here?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I found the problem: it's the resolution scale! Set it to high, and it'll all be as clear as day!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    tribble graphics settings will not save, everytime i start tribble up its in a windowed mode and the only way to get to it is loading up a toon and adjusting from there. however the other part is alt+tab which i use a lot of the time. it goes from full screen to windows again and i have to press alt+tab again to get into windows. thats annoying to say the least.

For me the graphics settings won't remember my Refresh Rate. I use 75Hz for my Monitor and while playing on Holodeck, but current Tribble build always resets the setting to 60Hz.

Some other options, like the amount of physical debris, also don't want to remember my settings and keep reseting.
    PyKDqad.jpg