test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #5: Changes to Reputation Powers

Comments

• zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    They've been doing everything for the newbs for a while.. aka the pvpers. :mad:
  • craig76craig76 Member Posts: 775 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You seem to have a lot of anger. Do you need a hug ?

If you find me objectionable feel free to ignore me of course... or better yet make a cogent argument for your view.

Focus not on the rudeness of others, not on what they've done or left undone, but on what you have & haven't done yourself.

practice what you preach :)
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    craig76 wrote: »
    when they have just made things easier for noobs and not taken into consideration the amount of time us vets have invested, Noobs want to be as good as us vets, they need to invest the time like us. Not let it be handed to them.

Well it isn't really new players saying this is what they want... they are new and don't know what they want after all. Its like saying a 5 year old Wanted a piece of grade 1 curriculum changed to make something easier. It really wasn't there choice was it.

The Developers of the game have decided that THEY are having a hard time deciding how to set difficulty levels of new content. They have pointed this out as one of the reasons for that issue... and they have laid out there plan to correct the issue.

Can you come up with a more logical fix that would make you happy... and allow them to solve there issue... both now... and down the road when more reps are introduced.

There have been a few been a few usable ideas that I hope they see. I have not however seen such a well reasoned alternative posed by you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
    edited March 2014
    practice what you preach :)

I do every day thanks... perhaps one day we can both still our own karmas and hit a temple up together. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    genada wrote: »
    STO is not the first mmo and there's new ones coming out all the time. STO should look to any and all sources to see where they can improve.

No doubt... some developers (like Trion) are very good at taking ideas from other games and folding them in and making them better even. Would be nice to see Cryptic do that some more. I will give them some credit though they do have some pretty interesting rifts on the standard MMO. Its not all bad. There is just some implementation issues here and there. Like a few others have mentioned as well sometimes the issues seem like they should be very obvious. Like this one which had this change been done 6 months ago before Dyson it likely would have been no big issue now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Completely agree 100%!!!!! This!

This would have been a far better solution to the problem of PVP than to take away powers that certain careers need in PVE!

But the devs have said specifically in responses in this very thread that the change wasn't made to address PVP issues. It was made to address PVE issues that will crop up with each new reputation they add.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    Well it isn't really new players saying this is what they want... they are new and don't know what they want after all. Its like saying a 5 year old Wanted a piece of grade 1 curriculum changed to make something easier. It really wasn't there choice was it.

The Developers of the game have decided that THEY are having a hard time deciding how to set difficulty levels of new content. They have pointed this out as one of the reasons for that issue... and they have laid out there plan to correct the issue.

Can you come up with a more logical fix that would make you happy... and allow them to solve there issue... both now... and down the road when more reps are introduced.

There have been a few been a few usable ideas that I hope they see. I have not however seen such a well reasoned alternative posed by you.

well, anyone think that maybe they could increase the difficulty of the content......that is what people are complaining about yes? too easy of content?
    if it is the other end, too hard content, lower it....but i doubt thats the issue at hand
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • captainjgeecaptainjgee Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Frickin great. TRIBBLE over the player who bothered to do the Reputation system, thinking they are improving there characters. Sorry if a player can't be bothered or is new to STO than they should expect to be have their TRIBBLE whipped by someone who has bothered to max out their character, that's like real life. If Cryptic is really serious about making a level playing field then every character would have the same skills, same crew, same ship, same doffs and same equipment. There would be no Z-store ships, no fleet ships and no fleet equipment. All these changes are just for PvP, but sorry PvP failed long before the Reputation system was introduced to STO. So PvE players are getting punished just for the sake of PvP and new players. Why not just make the Reputation system work in PvE and disable it in PvP, much like how they disable skills in Q's Winter Wonderland. What is the point of all the grinding if players don't get something out of it. I can't see what Cryptic is getting; our time. If we are playing STO we aren't playing some other companies games.

My advice to any people thinking of playing STO is don't. It's really not worth your time or money. Any achievement in the game will be wiped out at the next revamp of the system. Take crafting. I maxed out crafting the first time, then Cryptic revamped crafting and I had to start all over again. Soon they will revamp crafting again and they have said that you will loose most of your achievements, how is this fair.

Every time Stephen D'Angelo takes over Veteran players of STO, players that have played STO for some time, gets screwed over. Last time they introduced Dilithium, this time massive reputation revamp.

To say “I'm not a happy bunny” is a massive understatement. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • shmojoshmojo Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I give it a couple months until the ideal, perfect power combo is discovered and nothing else is ever used.
    edited March 2014
    I do every day thanks... perhaps one day we can both still our own karmas and hit a temple up together. lol

well, no, you dont, cause you have been rude. If anything, you're contradicting yourself now.
    You been rude to me and wonder why im rude back.
    You keep pulling out these philosophy's, but i dont see you practicing them yourself thru your rudeness.
    So, here is a philosophy for you.... Do unto others as you would have done unto yourself :)
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • genadagenada Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    STO shows what happens when devs think more like players and will not say no. The balance and problems that are happening is mainly due to being afraid to be devs and nerfing when need be.

When things are out of balance, things need to be nerfed. Is it fun to be nerfed, nope. Is it good for the overall game? Hopefully it will be.

The problem tho is with this one small change it does little to nothing to bring back any sort of balance or fix the problems. The truth is we do need a lvl cap increase and a general reset of EVERYTHING to restore balance.

Scims are overpowered. It's know and it needs to be nerfed.

Aux to bat is overpowered. It's know it and needs to be nerfed.

Romulan boffs are overpowered. It's know and it needs to be nerfed.

That's just three examples of things and there is many many others and there is also other things that are not powerful enough and need to be buffed. The problem is that there is so many things out of balance at this point it would be hopeless to attempt to balance things and the only solution left is to increase the lvl cap and start a new.

Devs need to learn to say no and they need to take action when things are out of hand or this will just happen again.
  • andystanandystan Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ok, so i'm not really happy about this proposed change. I've read over half of the thread (60 pages at last count) and it's a lot of backwards and forwards arguments.

I have a simple solution that would potentially please everyone. How about instead of the set in stone 4/4/4 we have maybe 2 space and 2 ground passives with 4 universal passive slots and 4 active slots? Maybe even 2 passive space and ground and 2 active with 6 universal passive or active slots? (Could possibly hard cap the actives at 4 if cryptic feels that is necessary)
    Either way some universal slots would afford the flexibility that this new system is supposedly going to give and it would stop the power creep that the rep bonuses are creating. Obviously ditch the proposed buffs to the rep powers but surely this would be fairer on the people who already have the reps already.

If Cryptic were that worried about the reps creating that much of a gap between fresh 50s and vet 50s why not make one or two of the older reps available to start at level 45? Ok they might not have a lot of powers by 50 but surely that would take a bit of the edge off the difference between the fresh 50s and vet 50s without penalising players who have been here longer.

I imagine that Romulan and Omega rep trees could be unlocked at 45 without creating too much drama - normal borg STFs unlock at 44 and NR missions really aren't that demanding that a 45 couldn't do most of them. Sets wouldn't be affected as they would effectively be locked from use until level 50 if the old Mk X and XI sets are ditched but the Mk XII items can at least be picked up a bit earlier spreading out some of the grind and further reducing the gap between vet and fresh 50s. Keep Nukara, Dyson and (probably) Undine reps locked to 50 and use the 2/2/4/4 system I suggested above then everyone would be a damn sight happier than they are right now

Oh and also being able to change slotted rep powers simply out of combat is a ridiculous idea - make it sector space or non-combat maps at least - otherwise PvE and PvP missions will be significantly slowed down while everyone was messing about tweaking their rep powers every 2mins.
  • greuceangreucean Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    No, it's not a chore. I didn't say it was. I specifically said it's a game, not a chore.

And it can be over. Just get up and walk away from it. Besides, a game isn't defined as something that has an end. And no, it's not obvious. Not to all of us. I'm sorry if you feel as though a game needs to be something you work in. Some of us have plenty of that to do IRL. If you don't like it because it's a game, then perhaps you need a different kind of hobby. ;)

Well, its not a chore for me at all. I liked working for what I have in it, and will continue to do so. If you feel you need a break... then by all means, find yourself some other relaxation mate. Perhaps some other game where they give away all the stuff from the very beginning and everyone is an equal whether they're 2 minutes or 2 years old might suit you?
    In that case I suggest something like Battleship, because frankly, even Farmville might be too much for you.

I'd like to pretend I care about you having IRL work to do.... but I don't give a damn. Sorry?!? ;) ?!?

PS: You made the "chore" analogy mate. Not me.
    edited March 2014
    well, anyone think that maybe they could increase the difficulty of the content......that is what people are complaining about yes? too easy of content?
    if it is the other end, too hard content, lower it....but i doubt thats the issue at hand

That is exactly the issue at hand. Go and read Hawks posts in this thread. They feel there is a major gap between no rep new level 50 players... and players with full rep. The issue they are claiming is that if they make it hard enough for you and I as full rep players to find it challenging. They are in fact making the content harder then new players can abide. On the other hand they believe that if they maintain the current level of difficulty we as full rep players will become bored. Either way they loose customers either old ones or new ones. Neither option is acceptable, right ?

Step back from the thread for a moment and consider the recent history of PvE missions. They released Hive and it was hard for many people. I didn't find it hard, I will bet you didn't either. Having said that it was adjusted more then once because there was a lot of uproar over the difficulty level of that mission. You can also look at all the new missions. It is obvious they are not happy with the current completion times of the old missions. The new missionas are all Timer based missions. Meaning no matter how much DPS you bring if a mission is intended to be 10min of play time that is what it is going to be. They have also added a 60s "briefing" prior to all the newer qued PvE missions. From that I think it is safe to infer that they where unhappy with the pacing of there missions. The design of the newest missiosn doesn't punish anyone for being horrible. :) It also doesn't reward you *with a faster completion) if you are fantastic. I would say that is because they are lost when it comes to mission balancing given the current meta situation.

So we know what they have decided on as a solution. So again... if you have a better idea. This is the place to put it forward.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    STO shows what happens when devs think more like players and will not say no. The balance and problems that are happening is mainly due to being afraid to be devs and nerfing when need be.

When things are out of balance, things need to be nerfed. Is it fun to be nerfed, nope. Is it good for the overall game? Hopefully it will be.

The problem tho is with this one small change it does little to nothing to bring back any sort of balance or fix the problems. The truth is we do need a lvl cap increase and a general reset of EVERYTHING to restore balance.

Scims are overpowered. It's know and it needs to be nerfed.

Aux to bat is overpowered. It's know it and needs to be nerfed.

Romulan boffs are overpowered. It's know and it needs to be nerfed.

That's just three examples of things and there is many many others and there is also other things that are not powerful enough and need to be buffed. The problem is that there is so many things out of balance at this point it would be hopeless to attempt to balance things and the only solution left is to increase the lvl cap and start a new.

Devs need to learn to say no and they need to take action when things are out of hand or this will just happen again.

You are talking about Scimitars, right? Being over powered? HA what a joke. I have them ad they are far from overpowered.
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • wrathofachilleswrathofachilles Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Holy TRIBBLE, this thread got long in a hurry, lol. Frankly, I'm not gonna bother reading all the back and forth of fussies I'm sure must be littered throughout, I just want to chime in on the off chance that a dev might read this, to thank the devs for being brave enough to actually make such a big change that is bound to have quite a bit of backlash.

"Wah, wah, we grind so hard, now you take it away. Wah, wah, I hates reps, wah wah...wah."

The power creep in this game was indeed getting out of hand, and these recent changes that should make the rep grind less of a grind and that puts a cap on what rep passives can do is quite nice, and necessary. I hope that the devs will keep swinging their nerf machete until we cut everything down to size and hack and slash all the OP out of the game until we are all nice and relatively equal no matter our choice of ship or career. I am super looking forward to season 9 and beyond if more of these "getting the house in order" changes are going to be coming down the line rather than simply more (MOAR) additions.

I eagerly await changes to captain "skills" and boff "skills" that I hope are next up for thorough *adjustment*. Also torps and mines... those things many people don't bother with or spec for... or equip consoles to boost. And getting rid of tac team shield distribution/fixing manual shield distribution/generally bringing damage into reasonable line so tac team shield distribution doesn't feel/isn't so necessary. And taking the yo-yo out of heal/damage (almost dead-back to full-almost dead-back to full). Yup... I believe that's my short list for tweaks.

But back to the rep tweaks: Thanks devs. ^^
    edited March 2014
    well, no, you dont, cause you have been rude. If anything, you're contradicting yourself now.
    You keep pulling out these philosophy's, but i dont see you practicing them yourself thru your rudeness.
    So, here is a philosophy for you.... Do unto others as you would have done unto yourself :)

Truly if you have felt offended, I will be the first to apologize. I honestly don't remember typing anything that was intended to be offensive. Perhaps a playful jest was misconstrued. In any regard, I am truly sorry. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    That is exactly the issue at hand. Go and read Hawks posts in this thread. They feel there is a major gap between no rep new level 50 players... and players with full rep. The issue they are claiming is that if they make it hard enough for you and I as full rep players to find it challenging. They are in fact making the content harder then new players can abide. On the other hand they believe that if they maintain the current level of difficulty we as full rep players will become bored. Either way they loose customers either old ones or new ones. Neither option is acceptable, right ?

Step back from the thread for a moment and consider the recent history of PvE missions. They released Hive and it was hard for many people. I didn't find it hard, I will bet you didn't either. Having said that it was adjusted more then once because there was a lot of uproar over the difficulty level of that mission. You can also look at all the new missions. It is obvious they are not happy with the current completion times of the old missions. The new missionas are all Timer based missions. Meaning no matter how much DPS you bring if a mission is intended to be 10min of play time that is what it is going to be. They have also added a 60s "briefing" prior to all the newer qued PvE missions. From that I think it is safe to infer that they where unhappy with the pacing of there missions. The design of the newest missiosn doesn't punish anyone for being horrible. :) It also doesn't reward you *with a faster completion) if you are fantastic. I would say that is because they are lost when it comes to mission balancing given the current meta situation.

So we know what they have decided on as a solution. So again... if you have a better idea. This is the place to put it forward.

I saw someone else say this, and i dont see why they cant do it either.
    Being. increasing level difficulty, with a twist.
    Heres my thoughts,
    A new lvl 50 person plays conduit elite for the first time, its easier for them.
    Someone with say tier 1omega, tier 0 all other reps, plays the same stf as the new lvl 50 did, but has a slightly increased difficulty level.
    Another player with tier 2, increased difficulty again
    Another player has tier 5 omega, has the most challenging difficulty.

This nerfing pf reps, is ALL wrong. What i just put, is how it should be done. They do the level difficulty for the storyline missions that way, why cant they do it for endgame content?
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Sorry, but antonio hasn't been rude... he hasn't called someone a "loser" or anything like that, unlike someone in this thread who shall remain nameless, since I think he knows who he is... *hint hint*

You may disagree with antonio, but name calling, because he has a different opinion than you, craig, is extremely ridiculous. You may have perceived that he's been rude, but from reading some of the exchanges between the two of you, you're the one who's been the rude one.

Maybe you should take time away from the game and clear your head... It might help you out in the long run.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
    edited March 2014
    shmojo wrote: »
    I give it a couple months until the ideal, perfect power combo is discovered and nothing else is ever used.

Not likely. As more and more reps will add in more and more options, so the combo/flavor of the month will change.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • genadagenada Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You are talking about Scimitars, right? Being over powered? HA what a joke. I have them ad they are far from overpowered.

I believe the Scimitar holds all the current dps records. I think that would mean it's indeed overpowered compared to all other ships but without getting into a debate about a single certain ship. All t5 ships are suppose to be more or less on a even playing field. That without a doubt is not the case right now.
    edited March 2014
    Truly if you have felt offended, I will be the first to apologize. I honestly don't remember typing anything that was intended to be offensive. Perhaps a playful jest was misconstrued. In any regard, I am truly sorry. :)

It is possible i have taken offence to something you have said. What it was, would have to go back and look, which im not about to do as this thread is now miles long(exaggeration intended) :)
    Apology accepted, i too apologise. :)
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • kyoukiseikyoukisei Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    These change are far too substantial and not all in a good way. Some aspects seem nice.. however saying this is to Balance veteran player with all rep buffs they worked hard to get.. elite fleet weapons and special abilities their CStore ship has... will all be thrown out the window so newly minted LVL 50 players with none of these.. can fight on an equal footing??? I have newly minted lvl 50's and they are crappy cause they do NOT have rep or top of the line gear... I don't EXPECT them to be able to match my main toon and no one else should expect theirs to BE a match for my main toon til they put at LEAST as much time into theirs as I did mine...

sounds to me like this is just another attempt to placate the PVPers ( NOT the majority of STO just a select few who complain the loudest and the most)

So far the fallout has hit my own fleet soo bad nearly all the long time members some with lifetime memberships have said they will quit when this comes in. As they put it.. (If Cryptic does this then they can do it without our money , there are other games out there much better that we can play for the same or less money)

I would hate to see my fleet come apart at the seams and everyone leave because of a change this drastic and not yet planned out well.... test it longer on tribble.. and if it works there fine.. but coming up with an idea between 8.5 and 9 and then implementing it... PLEASE!! rethink this... CoH did the same sort of thing.. it was a huge player base lots of hardworking happy players myself included... now it's a dead and gone game.
    edited March 2014
    Sorry, but antonio hasn't been rude... he hasn't called someone a "loser" or anything like that, unlike someone in this thread who shall remain nameless, since I think he knows who he is... *hint hint*

You may disagree with antonio, but name calling, because he has a different opinion than you, craig, is extremely ridiculous. You may have perceived that he's been rude, but from reading some of the exchanges between the two of you, you're the one who's been the rude one.

Maybe you should take time away from the game and clear your head... It might help you out in the long run.

ok. for the record, i dont need someones help to correct me if i am wrong.
    But, some of the things he has said to me, i have taken as being rude. Problem with reading messages is they can be taken either way, unlike talking face to face when you can tell someone is being rude.
    In my defense, i took some of the things he said as being rude, hence why i was rude back.
    In future, keep out of it and let those who are having the issues sort it out. :)
    planet-space-sun.jpg
    edited March 2014
    I believe the Scimitar holds all the current dps records. I think that would mean it's indeed overpowered compared to all other ships but without getting into a debate about a single certain ship. All t5 ships are suppose to be more or less on a even playing field. That without a doubt is not the case right now.

I'll have to get on my scimi and take notes then. But from my pov, i dont think they are, but i have been known to be wrong
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • greendragon527greendragon527 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Someone earlier in the thread made a good point, just level up in rep for what few things you want then forget the rest, your time is better invested in a fleet and its items.
    edited March 2014
    I saw someone else say this, and i dont see why they cant do it either.
    Being. increasing level difficulty, with a twist.
    Heres my thoughts,
    A new lvl 50 person plays conduit elite for the first time, its easier for them.
    Someone with say tier 1omega, tier 0 all other reps, plays the same stf as the new lvl 50 did, but has a slightly increased difficulty level.
    Another player with tier 2, increased difficulty again
    Another player has tier 5 omega, has the most challenging difficulty.

This nerfing pf reps, is ALL wrong. What i just put, is how it should be done. They do the level difficulty for the storyline missions that way, why cant they do it for endgame content?

Well yes it is one option. The real question would be how tiered would they have to make the ques in order for it to work. I am not shooting it down because yes it could work perhaps if was done right. They would have to decide how much rep would push you into which level... and there would be issues of numbers of players. The system would work great I am sure on a saturday afternoon. How would it work at 3AM on a Tuesday though ? Still yes it is one possible solution... short term at least. I am not sure they could continue that forever. If we get to say 7 or 8 reps a year from now would it still work ? When would we hit a point where the last tier of difficulty was not enough. Thanks for thinking about the problem though. ;) It is the problem the Devs have described and why they have decided to do something about the creep.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    kyoukisei wrote: »
    These change are far too substantial and not all in a good way. Some aspects seem nice.. however saying this is to Balance veteran player with all rep buffs they worked hard to get.. elite fleet weapons and special abilities their CStore ship has... will all be thrown out the window so newly minted LVL 50 players with none of these.. can fight on an equal footing??? I have newly minted lvl 50's and they are crappy cause they do NOT have rep or top of the line gear... I don't EXPECT them to be able to match my main toon and no one else should expect theirs to BE a match for my main toon til they put at LEAST as much time into theirs as I did mine...

This is being done to limit the way the passives affect overall power in the future.

Right now there's:

Borg
    Romulan
    Tholian
    Voth

Soon they'll add Undine

New level 50s still have to put time in to get their 12 choices.

BUT ... in 2015 there might be:

Borg
    Romulan
    Tholian
    Voth
    Undine
    Iconian
    Cardassian
    Ferengi
    Pirate
    Fekhiri
    Mirror Catian
    Starlian
    Gamesters of Triskellion
    Organian
    and Captain Proton

at that point, this system will keep things reasonably within reach between a new 50 and what the tricked out end-game 50 is doing.

Or level 60 by that point.

This isn't a Rihanna song. We have more than right now. Tomorrow isn't too far away. And we need not worry about yesterday.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This is being done to limit the way the passives affect overall power in the future.

Right now there's:

Borg
    Romulan
    Tholian
    Voth

Soon they'll add Undine

New level 50s still have to put time in to get their 12 choices.

BUT ... in 2015 there might be:

Borg
    Romulan
    Tholian
    Voth
    Undine
    Iconian
    Cardassian
    Ferengi
    Pirate
    Fekhiri
    Mirror Catian
    Starlian
    Gamesters of Triskellion
    Organian
    and Captain Proton

at that point, this system will keep things reasonably within reach between a new 50 and what the tricked out end-game 50 is doing.

Or level 60 by that point.

This isn't a Rihanna song. We have more than right now. Tomorrow isn't too far away. And we need not worry about yesterday.

That is a scary thought - you are saying instead of real content - all this game will get are buckets of rep systems:(
    edited March 2014

Its all good I posted a lot last night perhaps I did say something he read wrong. :)

Thanks for the support. I can take a little bit of vitriol I deserve as much at times. Craig I think is starting to think about the issue the devs are facing though and how to fix it in a way he would be happy with. So hey if they are still reading after this many pages perhaps they will pick up on something useful. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.