test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help finding the spreadsheet for skill bonus effects

alaerickalaerick Member Posts: 166 Arc User
I once in my perusing found a link to a spreadsheet that detailed out all of the exact or approximate bonuses you get from putting points into skills. I cannot seem to track it down. Does anyone have the link handy?

Also, for those who know.. Is it ever worth it to put over 6 points in a skill? Like in Warp Core Potential or Efficiency, etc?

I just got a respec token on my tact officer who has been flying a tactical style Vesta (Soon my science officer will fly the Vesta instead). I've been working on acquiring my elite fleet gear to go with my Fleet Defiant refit I now have for her. I like the playstyle of the Vesta in PVE but think for pvp the Defiant will be better. I'm debating on which way to spend her points. Go all out for the Defiant (and maybe hope some day for a bug) or keep her some what balanced in how I set her up.

Having said that.. Does anyone know exactly how effective things like Gravity Well 3 are if you spend no points at all in the related skills? I use it on my vesta more or less just to trap a group of NPCs together in a ball to melt with my DHCs, which in PVE works quite well. However, I've had some points spent in the related skills. So if I were to spend none, would this become an ineffective strategy?

Anyway, looking for some experienced advice on this. I'm not a noob but I am at that point to where I think getting some advice may help eek out just that little bit more performance in my PVP side of the game and hopefully not sacrifice any on the PVE side.

*Note I don't like spec'ing for things that are obviously OP and probably not Working as intended and soon to be nerfed (Eg, I know A2B beam boats are all the rage, but don't foresee this being the way it is for the long haul). Since this was my first character I made all my mistakes with her and hopefully I will not make any stupid mistakes that require me to respec again.

A few templates I've been messing with:

Vesta - http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=xuanvesta_0 (note middle DHC should be a Romulan Torpedo just haven't added it yet)

Vesta & Defiant - http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=xuanfleet_0

Defiant - http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=xuandefiant_0
A beautiful death awaits you...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Foundry-
Campaign: The Battle of Neverwinter - NWS-DOQXFA4ZD
Prologue: A not so simple plan - NW-DCJG75B9D
Post edited by alaerick on

Comments

• fcsp1910fcsp1910 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think that's the one you're looking for...

Folcwin's Starship Skill Point Effects Table
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It can be worth it to put more points in a skill. Just think of it as % effectiveness. The first 3 points get you about 50% effectiveness. The next 3 points get you 85%. The final 3 get you 99. So a tactical captain who wants to do the most damage possible with cannons might want 9 points in the various energy weapons skills. But from a cost-benefit approach, 6 points is ideal, 9 is wasteful. The idea is that 3 points to get 14% more is not as good as 3 points to get 50% more of another skill --- one that might be less useful, but still nice to have.

GW might be one of the most complicated abilities in the game -- affected by aux power, particles, gravitons, and at least 3 active duty officers. A wide variety of gear add to both graviton and particles as well.

Depending on what you want from your wells ...
    graviton increases the radius of the pull and strength of the pull.
    particles increase the dps
    aux power I think increases the duration
    and active duty guys can spawn additional wells and help manage the cooldowns.

So you could just let gear give you a boost to graviton or particles, and no points on your captain. You could boost only one skill, like graviton, use it to make an aoe pile and not worry about the damage. You could slot the officers without any points, allowing frequent use and multiple anomalies.

My advice is to at least put 3 in graviton if you plan to use the skill a lot. From there, make your own choices.

Remember that the t5 science rep clicky will make even a basic GW3 very potent, if you only need a strong well once in a while, that might be sufficient. I have one captain that just has GW1 and 6 points in graviton, little else (probably her deflector does a little, but not much). Its "enough" to make aoe piles when I need them.
  • ussboleynussboleyn Member Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited March 2014
  • alaerickalaerick Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Thanks yes that's the graph I was looking for. And thanks for the input. Now to decide how I want this. :)
    A beautiful death awaits you...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Foundry-
    Campaign: The Battle of Neverwinter - NWS-DOQXFA4ZD
    Prologue: A not so simple plan - NW-DCJG75B9D