test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Would you do it ??

grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
They make a new difficulty level, level reality.
When you be destroyed you will loose ship and captain and you would have to start all over again ?
Grinds and all stuff you had will be lost !!!

Would you play at this level ?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
Post edited by grazyc2#7847 on

Comments

• locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yes unless I had to do it with a random team. I think my characters could handle it. Is it a good idea to create said level? No because people would get frustrated.
  • grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yes unless I had to do it with a random team. I think my characters could handle it. Is it a good idea to create said level? No because people would get frustrated.

It would be good for business, but losing all hours of work because you die ?
    I think you are right not much people would risk it....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'd have a single specific toon for it, potentially.

Every now and then, I'd see how far I can get.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Why do people keep thinking that dying once and losing your stuff= better difficulty level!?
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
    edited March 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Why do people thinking dying once and losing your stuff= better difficulty level!?

Not better, but different.

I wouldn't get anything account bound for such a toon, which means when I die I'd not lose anything terrible except time...and I'd know about that going in.

Only issue I can see is that, such a difficulty level if applied to a toon that made level 44 and joined an STF, could potentially leave team mates in the lurch due to dying.

However, it could be automatically diabled for team play.

Broadly speaking, I see a lot of potential with changes or rather additions to difficulty levels.
  • corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There is something similar to the OP suggestion already in existence. It is called Eve Online.

Given that folks have literally lost hundreds of thousands of dollars with such a set up I wouldn't be inclined to risk it, no matter how good I think my characters are vs how good they actually are in reality.

That being said, adding more risk (maybe forced to revert down to captain for example) for poor decisions, etc... would be interesting. Losing goods that were earned instead of paid for would also be interesting.
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Do it, ill start rolling the dedicated toon today.

On my existing ones though, no. And not in PvP surely.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
    edited March 2014
    Do it, ill start rolling the dedicated toon today.

On my existing ones though, no. And not in PvP surely.

Same here.

I think this would be an interesting way to experience the story missions.
  • janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It could work in terms of "mission-specific". Basically for people who want to play a game that's based on actual survival (not just DPS), a level where your ability to actually survive prolonged battles is rewarded would be welcome. It could work in terms of a "Survivor Drop" at the end of missions where you need to have survived all the way through, and you need to still be alive to 'pick up your drop', with the mission having a timer, so e.g. those that can be done once every 20 hours. Fail to survive that day, no extra-special drop. Such drops for example might be Mk XII only, though would have to be 'bound to account' to avoid stuffing in-game economics. This would give players something to really aim for (e.g. the occasional drop of something they'd actually use, and something with a reasonable EC price from a vendor if not).

Such missions could also be added into PvP (gasp!) where you only go one-on-one (double gasp!) in a nebula where random feedback can make your damage reverberate back to your ship (triple gasp!) so your ship's ability to recover is as much a factor as your ability to deliver DPS.

So in other words, "yes and no"... I would like scenarios/reward drops based on more than just "kill em fast!" but making it toon-specific rather than scenario-based would just be... cue pun... overkill :D
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Let me guess... You are a EvE player?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • kolbrandrkolbrandr Member Posts: 266
    edited March 2014
    I would do this in a heartbeat.

Yeah, I play Eve. Only downside to Eve is that you can't permanantly kill the character.
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Higher difficulty? What does that mean exactly? Hopefully it would mean smarter NPCs - particularly ones that adapt to player tactics in some way, or work together to synergize their powers instead of the current fire everything once off cooldown coding and their simple, predictable counter-orbiting maneuvers.

Furthermore, a tangible improvement in the rewards system for such an ironman level should be in order in my opinion. Is the net gain to simply 'achieve' a win, or attain an upgrade too?

I also think a few of the existing mechanics, both in space and ground need to be tweaked. For example, should consumables have to be slotted on your batman belt in order to use them? Would a real cover system add anything to the experience - considering the stakes?

Just some thoughts. Another idea would be to scrap the set difficulty levels completely and instead petition Cryptic to develop a dynamic difficulty system that scales challenges according to how you are performing. Doing bad? Enemies and rewards drop down a peg. Doing good? Scaling difficulty increases, but if you hold your ground long enough then you'll be in for a real challenge.

Another consideration is how this would apply to non-combat missions. Does it become harder to explore diplomatic options to challenging dialogue?

I'd certainly need something more than the type of difference we have at present between normal and advanced.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kirk2390 wrote: »
    When you be destroyed you will loose ship and captain and you would have to start all over again ?

Not a snowballs chance in hell, I have no interest in games with death penalties, all it does is bloat already overinflated epeens and encourage griefing.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    That is not a difficulty it is called being a TRIBBLE.

This is not "fun", this is a terrible, terrible game mechanic that needs to go die in a hole
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    how about no
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yup.

Pixels have no sentimental or monetary value for me. If I can happily delete toons that have maxed reps and decent gear because I'm bored of them I'm certainly happy to see them go down in a blaze of glory.

About the only thing you really lose is time, and we're pretty much here to kill time anyway so what is the problem?
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited March 2014
    No I wouldn't. But not every part of this game has to appeal to me. If Cryptic wants to put in this difficulty as an option I'm ok with that.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ;)
    coupaholic wrote: »
    Yup.

Pixels have no sentimental or monetary value for me. If I can happily delete toons that have maxed reps and decent gear because I'm bored of them I'm certainly happy to see them go down in a blaze of glory.

About the only thing you really lose is time, and we're pretty much here to kill time anyway so what is the problem?

I just deleted 3 max level alts, after liquidating their assets, and tossing the ECs, in the account bank.
    I was Bored with them.
    I think sending them down in a final blaze of glory would have been fun.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Would I play it? No, because i hate that aspect of Eve and its not something i would ever want to do, or see any enjoyment in doing it.

But if you really want to do it then just do it on your own. play the game until you get killed, then delete them yourself.

what ever makes you happy.
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I would do it. Preferably if the combat was better balanced for that sort of gameplay and not the invisible torpedo of death sort of thing.

But... don't ships have escape pods?
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If it was optional, yes. Great way to suicide run a charater that lost its charm.
    If people wanted it as mandatory gameplay, then go play EVE.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think that seems a bit harsh, maybe have it that if you get killed you have to start over from the beginning of that mission and any drops, exp and such you had got while doing that mission you would loose would be a better difficulty option on some mission.

especially with pvp I think it would be far more interesting if once you got taken out you stayed out, a kind of winning team is the one with the most members, like a last man standing kind of thing.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• posvaliposvali Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Agree, characters do not need to die - there are escape pods, teleporters, cloning and what not... Ships however could be destroyed permanently...(?) To make ships less a throw away item, they could also earn XP and be upgraded. Perhaps automatic upgrade depending on what their captains do with them or the player could decide on type of upgrade he/she wants. Every next upgrade would cost more XP...
  • ghostwolf1054ghostwolf1054 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2014

I played that "level" for 4 years in Eve online. Nothing wrong with EVE if that's your cup of tea. No longer mine.

Get and Eve account OP, and have a blast. :D
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Make it optional and it will be a fun new game mechanic that will please many and will deeply upset the few idiotic players who did not read the fine print before trying it out.

Make it compulsory and it will kill the game.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014

The amount of DOFFing I did would increase, but yeah, I'd do it.

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vamerrasvamerras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014

If I'd want this level of frustration I'd choose EVE Online instead of STO.
  • rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm already going to lose everything when I die in real life. No need to rush it. :)
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.