test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #4: Undine Art Revamp

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Character Artist Joe Jing and Systems Designer Jeff "AdjudicatorHawk" Hamilton share a sneak peak of the Undine's updated look! Check out their new armor, ship designs, and more in this entry of the Season 9 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

~LaughingTrendy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• maxxinamaxxina Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Good changes :) Look forward to it :)
  • eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I dunno ... they look a bit like Protoss now.
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't say this often but ... I'm starting to really get excited about this upcoming season!
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Unexpected but cooool!
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • sleeeperr1sleeeperr1 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    werez the art for the new pvp maps ? : d
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited March 2014
    Good looking stuff.

Question: Whenever you guys make an update like this, some of it filters down to the Foundry and some of it doesn't. I expect the combat NPC groups to be changed automatically as those seem to just fetch the groups from the game itself. But NPC contacts are my concern. There are many Undine, including armored ones, that are available to be placed as NPC contacts on the map. Will these be updated to the new appearance?

It would not look very good to have the new ones in the main game but the old ones in the Foundry.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think I just had an TRIBBLE
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Looks good! Are the Borg getting a revamp as well? Giving their ships more canon attacks as opposed to the plasma weapons they use now?
  • duxbellorum1duxbellorum1 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Good work, i'll hope seeing them also more in Fleetactions
  • gregbgregb Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Might take my intrepid out for a spin to see if i can do a warp jump like this.. xP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoRIRtzLmMA
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Liking the new ground look, but not liking the space changes so much...

And what's with the "no shields to encourage guns that affect hitpoints" bit? I mean, I can't really think of a weapon that's optimized to affect shieldless targets, as a matter of fact, 25% of ground at least feels like ways to bypass (melee, exothermic fields, etc.) or remove (tachyon harmonic, certain weapon procs) them altogether...

As far as space goes, it's been "standard" that the iconic hero ships be primarily cruiser hulls, despite scale (I mean, really, scale seems to have gone out the window with walls of Scimitars bumping Vestas to the map ceiling...). With that in mind, having the "as seen on TV bioship" the frigate that's usually so far away and small that you see it as a dot/lozenge, and this funky design as the "seen at most combat ranges" cruiser doesn't fit right with me...

Along with their many tortures, knock-around beams to throw off lances / cannons, etc.

At least the ships still have shields...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • skymagus00skymagus00 Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    "The Battleship can open a Fluidic Space rift; this rift slowly pulls you in due to its pressure gradient and leaks fluidic space into normal space."

Um... I thought pressure gradients went from high pressure to low pressure, so surely it should push you away (in line with the leakage)?

Uh-oh, these Undine now break Physics...
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    skymagus00 wrote: »
    "The Battleship can open a Fluidic Space rift; this rift slowly pulls you in due to its pressure gradient and leaks fluidic space into normal space."

Um... I thought pressure gradients went from high pressure to low pressure, so surely it should push you away (in line with the leakage)?

Physics are weak, thus it must perish, too!
  • areikou#8990 areikou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So when is the announcement for the Undine rep and lockbox. Because we all know, that is next thing to be announced for new or updated species.

Grind Grind Grind, BUY!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
    is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
  • risingstar2009risingstar2009 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I want the Armor. Some of the sweetest looking designs up there with the MACO/KHG/Omega/Solanae suits.
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Well, about 17 more blogs to go (taking S8 as reference) before we finally see season 9 in about 1 month or so.
  • atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I hope they added the lightning guns for the Undine... The yellow beams are okay, but remember it was lightning weapons. The exact same weapons 'Vorlon fighters' used. Cryptic you're doing a great job with the undine. Sticking to the canon is always nice when possible...

I'm sure we wont be see any cubes blowing up with a single shot ;). Maybe you can add bonus damage versus borg targets.
    The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • theuser2021theuser2021 Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think it's almost a forgone conclusion that the next lock box is going to have undine stuff in it. Much in the same way the Voth lockbox felt inevitable when the Voth where introduced.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Cool, I look forward to murdering many thousands of them...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• oracle54oracle54 Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    More stuff to stick in the next lockbox
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Looks pretty cool. I do think the ships shouldn't have shields either, though.

Definitely looking forward to Season 9.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yep. We're gonna be flying those ships.
  • beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    skymagus00 wrote: »

well u gotta remember they are from a different dimension so physics might work differently then ours does.

• bombassdmbbombassdmb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I know this is going to sound impatient, but when do get to the "meat and potatoes" of season 9? Info about the new space battlezone, queued content, and reputaion; official word on whether or not we get more than one lonely featured episode for those of us that enjoy the story missions. The art updates look great and all, but I was kind of hoping for more than soup and salad at this point....
    SRS Fleet Recruiter
    Please feel free to contact me in game (@BombAssDMB) for information on the
    SPECIAL RECONNAISSANCE SQUADRON or visit our website: http://www.srs-fleet.net/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    eisenw0lf wrote: »
    I dunno ... they look a bit like Protoss now.

Hah! that was my first thought, too.. but nevermind.. I like what I see/read.. with one "big"exception.. wrist mounted “mini-planet killer”??? wtf?!? :(
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Outstanding work. The visual changes are a distinct improvement.

Fingers crossed for an upcoming Undine Lockbox. :)
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    beerxhyper wrote: »
    well u gotta remember they are from a different dimension so physics might work differently then ours does.

It doesn't matter which dimension they're from: Once they're in ours, they play by our dimension's rules.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Very nice, though I can't help but notice that those ships looks considerbly less organic, to the point that those silver sections look metallic.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    bombassdmb wrote: »
    I know this is going to sound impatient, but when do get to the "meat and potatoes" of season 9? Info about the new space battlezone, queued content, and reputaion; official word on whether or not we get more than one lonely featured episode for those of us that enjoy the story missions. The art updates look great and all, but I was kind of hoping for more than soup and salad at this point....

One can check out previous Season blogs, the start of them - to see how it tends to go. When they start giving out info, how they give out info, and the general timeframe that it all takes...
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I am looking forward to this. After facing them on the Tribble server the other day, they have a lot of potential to make them a challenge. Some of the updates are already there.

Them being able to dive into fluidic space, then come out somewhere else was awesome. The first time I saw it I was surprised. Does give them a challenge. And the rift they can open that will grab your ships needs a little tweaking, but it is an awesome feature.

Haven't had the beams to bump my ship around yet, or it is so little it is not noticeable. However, I look forward to seeing what it will do.

With the potential challenge that the Undine can be in combat, it looks like a huge change over the normal combat of all the other enemies we have. Thank you for all the hard work that went into this.

I strongly recommend trying out the missions on the Tribble server. It gives you a chance to check out some of the changes to them, and post your thoughts and findings on the changes.

Tim.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!