test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scimitar DPS build help

david90532david90532 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
hey guys, I saw a guy in CSE earlier today doing 54,020 DPS in his scimitar. I was wondering if any pros here would be able to point me in the right direction or give me any tips on how to get DPS like that with my scimi. This guy was using experimental romulan beam arrays, which I am diligently working towards. He also had 5 spire locators, which I am also working towards. Are there any special doffs or boffs that would help me? I'm fairly inexperienced when it comes to those, and haven't actually messed with them since I started... so any help here would be greatly appreciated. I hear that a good Aux2Batt build can pull decent DPS, but I'm not sure how to set that up. Also; my romulan is an engi. Can he hope to pull the same DPS as a tac in a scimi if I spec his skills right? And if not, could my tac in an avenger do it? Thanks for any help!
Post edited by david90532 on

Comments

• Options
    john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There are allot of different ways to build a scimitar but here is a simple non a2b build: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=scimitarspam_2965

Skill tree and rep are both shown, doffs listed on the notes page. You will need 2 Conn Officer doffs by the name of Zemok to drop your attack pattern cd and 1 Marion Frances Dulmer to buff your DEM1.

Your not going to get the numbers he had with an engineer or a fed tac in an avenger, you need a romulan or reman tac in a scimitar to hit those numbers in a cse. A properly setup romulan engineer should be able to get into the 30s though, maybe low 40s.

In addition to whats shown on the build your boffs should be 4 Romulan Superior Operatives and 1 Reman Superior Infiltrator.
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    A link to a post with 4 scimitar's (best you can make) made by Saxfire.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=14262481#post14262481
  • Options
    nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    john98837's fit is solid, minus the boff skills, which I guess weren't changed from a different ship.

saxfire's builds, not so much. Go for john98837's build, but remove torp skill, double up on beta and tac team. That, or go for a2b. A2b build means 2x a2b, for the normal 1x everything else. There's no such thing as 1x a2b build, it's pointless, costly, and fails. Tachykinetic console is not mandatory if you dont have the lobi, and can be replaced with either decent universal console or a plasma infused console.

Your eng won't pull the same dps as tac, but can come close in the long run.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    noblet wrote: »
    john98837's fit is solid, minus the boff skills, which I guess weren't changed from a different ship.

saxfire's builds, not so much. Go for john98837's build, but remove torp skill, double up on beta and tac team. That, or go for a2b. A2b build means 2x a2b, for the normal 1x everything else. There's no such thing as 1x a2b build, it's pointless, costly, and fails. Tachykinetic console is not mandatory if you dont have the lobi, and can be replaced with either decent universal console or a plasma infused console.

Your eng won't pull the same dps as tac, but can come close in the long run.

The boff layout is as it should be and here is why, if your using 2 Zemoks to reduce the APO3 CD you only need 1 APB1 and 1 APO3, nothing else. As such you have extra tac boff slots, so make one of your Tac Teams a TT2 for the slight bonus to damage over TT1 and then toss that torpedo ability on there for the 10% chance to activate the Inspirational Leader trait. If you don't have the trait then its pointless, but nothing better to do with it anyway.

If you can't afford the doffs then yeah double up on the APB1s and cut that TT2 down to TT1.
  • Options
    david90532david90532 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Thanks guys, I'll check those out! Speaking of the doffs... Isn't there a way to get them using an assignment chain, if I can't afford them? A guy in zone chat was talking about how you could get some great doffs from assignments.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    john98837 wrote: »
    There are allot of different ways to build a scimitar but here is a simple non a2b build: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=scimitarspam_2965

Skill tree and rep are both shown, doffs listed on the notes page. You will need 2 Conn Officer doffs by the name of Zemok to drop your attack pattern cd and 1 Marion Frances Dulmer to buff your DEM1.

Your not going to get the numbers he had with an engineer or a fed tac in an avenger, you need a romulan or reman tac in a scimitar to hit those numbers in a cse. A properly setup romulan engineer should be able to get into the 30s though, maybe low 40s.

In addition to whats shown on the build your boffs should be 4 Romulan Superior Operatives and 1 Reman Superior Infiltrator.

Wow, you're the first one I see who actually uses TT2. :) I'll look into that.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    reniusstarreniusstar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    john98837 wrote: »
    The boff layout is as it should be and here is why, if your using 2 Zemoks to reduce the APO3 CD you only need 1 APB1 and 1 APO3, nothing else. As such you have extra tac boff slots, so make one of your Tac Teams a TT2 for the slight bonus to damage over TT1 and then toss that torpedo ability on there for the 10% chance to activate the Inspirational Leader trait. If you don't have the trait then its pointless, but nothing better to do with it anyway.

If you can't afford the doffs then yeah double up on the APB1s and cut that TT2 down to TT1.

Dont you need to utilise 3 Technicians with an A2B build to make it work?

Does this mean you would need to use 3 technicians and 2 zemoks?

I'm pretty new to this so I may be wrong
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    reniusstar wrote: »
    Dont you need to utilise 3 Technicians with an A2B build to make it work?

Does this mean you would need to use 3 technicians and 2 zemoks?

I'm pretty new to this so I may be wrong

No you either use 3 Technicians and do a2b or you use 2 zemoks and don't use a2b. The 2 zemoks get your attack pattern cooldowns down but don't effect anything else. A2b setup would get your attack pattern cooldowns as well as everything else reduced, meaning you only need 1 FAW3 instead of 2. Downside is you loose all your aux power and with it the dps bonus from the nukara rep. Generally a2b is great for ships that truely need it like cruiser that have limited tac stations, but its not so much of an advantage with a scimitar that has plenty of tac stations.
  • Options
    saxfiresaxfire Member Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Go for john98837's build, but remove torp skill

Why remove high yield? It gives you more chances to proc the +10 to all skills, and in future it will help you with Undine Reputation, in case you wish to use the accuracy bonus. you don't need anything in the liutenant stations anyways so you might aswell use cannon rapid fire instead, and using tt1+1, but I'm sure John has calculated the difference between 15s Cooldown CRF and 30s cooldown HY and made sure that the single copy of tt2 is more powerful than double chance to proc the skillpoints.
    double up on beta and tac team.

That's already doubled, are you asking for 4 copies of tacteam and beta?
    That, or go for a2b.

A2B is either costly, or time consuming to get into use and it's not the ideal goal for you, you can however, use that specific build without even buying the Conn officers by utilizing apo1+3 + beta1 with bfaw2+3 and tt1+1, that's poor man's build, but it works.
    There's no such thing as 1x a2b build, it's pointless, costly, and fails.

That's your opinion, I have used single ATB1 PO1 combo and it surely is more viable than the dual A2B build. GG(get good) (and this build is no less costly than your own A2B build is)

And how are my builds different to John's? Our builds are the same, that is variant 1, the one Mal Reynolds uses(Which practically is not John's or mine), and the one most used anyways as apparently Porchie and John went from A2B to non-A2B lately.

None of my scimitar builds are mine either, you are free to use them, I just threw the basic trees and the build setups out there.
    Say the word, it saves the world.
    CUUCUUMBEER! "-With slight partigen with it."
    Proud member or DPS-800 "-We kill dem mines with our scitter turrets."
  • Options
    spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    saxfire wrote: »

A2B is either costly, or time consuming to get into use and it's not the ideal goal for you, you can however, use that specific build without even buying the Conn officers by utilizing apo1+3 + beta1 with bfaw2+3 and tt1+1, that's poor man's build, but it works.
    Costly ? What's so expensive about just staying in B'Train, waiting for the assignment and waiting for the crit? Time-consuming yes but what's cheaper? this or getting the millions of EC required for buying that Zemok?
    I am a KDF Romulan but I think he's quite expensive for Feds too.
    Bfaw2+3 is a bad idea ... if you can reduce bfaw's cooldown until its global cooldown, you'd better use ONLY faw3 and same goes for apb3.
    OP, unless you've got millions of EC to spend, I think you'd better start with a cheap aux-to-bat build, increase your DPS by a good amount right away and then work your way until the Mal Reynold's not-aux-to-bat build.
    Anyway, no, you will never pull the same DPS as you were a tac.
    By the way, since you are engie, you can put Marion in the middle/end of your things to buy list.
    As of now, 3 purple techs doffs and buy a purple warp core engineer energizer ( as I call him ) which has got a chance to increase your power levels.
    At the 5th doffs spot, Dlyrene ( if you run an STF) or Marion ... with 6 doffs seats, both ( if you run an stf ).
    As of now, chain Nadion inversion/EPS Manifold + faw3 + apb3 + dem : activate them altogether ... very important ( Nadion inversion is a Marion-like ability )
    Commander tactical : ts1, tt2, faw3, apb3
    lt. command eng : eptw1, auxtobat1, dem2
    lt universal eng: epts1, auxtobat1
    lt. sci : hazard emitters, tractor repulsors
    ensign universal : eng team
    Put eptw1, epts1, auxtobat, tt2 in your spacebar row ( google hilbert guide )
    Chain the auxiliary battery device, eng team, hazard emitters ( and brace for impact )
    Or you might click hazard emitters if you want to cleanse yourself of some bad stuff ( check your aux power though : you don't want them at 0 when you do that )
    AP or plasma? they are both good : that choice doesn't make a huge difference, although AP "parses" you a little more DPS.
    Borg deflector, Borg engine, fleet elite resilient shield resB, thoron-infused sing core AMP, fleet AP accx2, vulnerability +ctrH consoles, rom console, borg console, nukara console, mogai heavy warbird console( if you pug and there's not a dedicated healer ... awesome console anyway ).
    It's all for now ... hope I didn't miss something.
    P58WJe7.jpg