test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What scifi TV show or movie would make for a great MMO?

Comments

• yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I would hate to see another francise being MMO-ized. Everything that defines a sci fi universe gets twisted and bend to fit into the stupid and lazy MMO mold.

I'd rather see a good freeform/sandbox Trek or other Sci fi Game with multiplayer capabilities (if it must be), but i prefer singleplayer games that can be modded.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    tanina2 wrote: »
    How about Roddenberry's other hit series, Andromeda?
    Play as the semi-evil avatar of a Quantum singularity? Sure? why not? :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    tanina2 wrote: »
    How about Roddenberry's other hit series, Andromeda?

I hated that show! At least Tom Paris never wore a hawaiian shirt on the bridge, like the slacker doofus who piloted the Andromeda. Plus the Andromeda looked like a cheap toy.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • mikells1988mikells1988 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's been said multiple times, but I really think Farscape would work as an MMO. Even if you built it to the same model as existing MMOs, where there are factions and playable races are limited TO those factions, it's doable. Toward the end of the series, and the big plot point of PKW, was the conflict between Sebacean and Scarran. There's your two major factions.

Playable races on the PK side would be Sebacean, Luxan, Delvian, Hynerian, because all three fall within PK territory, and in (I believe) the final season of Farscape, the Luxans signed a defence treaty with the PKs.

Then on the Scarran side you have the various Scarran sub-breeds, Kalish and Charrid. If you want to even out the numbers on either side, you could either add the Nebari to the Scarran Empire as a conquered people, or remove Delvians from the PK side since they're not as (IMO) cool as the Luxans or Hynerians.

It could be SIMILAR --- NOTE: I wouldn't expect it to be TOO similar, so please god NO PWE! NO! YOU'RE NOT TOUCHING FARSCAPE!) --- to STO in that there would be ground based and space based missions. I'm not sure how much firepower I'd like for players to have. Part of me says "GIVE ME COMMAND CARRIERS AND SCARRAN DREADNOUGHTS!" but the rest of me says "Nah. Leave those for NPC support on missions where it's needed." That said, I'd even be happy just flying a Prowler on the PK side, since Prowlers are just SICK!

Story wise, there doesn't even need to be war. It could go along the lines of pre-Cata WoW in that while there are tensions between the factions there's no open warfare (save a few skirmishes in PvP "contested" battlezones). That way there's no great focus on fighting for people who might want to play it to explore, be diplomatic, be a nuisance.

Setting could be pre- or post-Crichton. Pre-Crichton, it would obviously be after the Idolons (spelling?) forced the peace between the factions. It could even be prior to Crais's birth if you didn't want there to be any chance of characters from the show appearing due to inability to score the rights to the likenesses or get the actors/actresses on board to voice the roles. Or if you want to go post-Crichton, probably years after he's passed on. Either way on, so that Aeryn has passed on too, or not that far so that maybe we run into an older Aeryn and do a double-take and go WTF! Could be fun.

It does have lots of potential. Those are just some of the ways I could see it working.

That said, I looked around and apparently Fallen Earth devs were planning on it. They secured funding from some mob, starting the planning and concept art, and then funding fell through and they were forced to abandon the project. Kind of sad for us Scapeys out there that would have loved to have seen it.
  • maoguinmaoguin Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rakija879 wrote: »
    Star Trek, Walking Dead and Twilight maybe :P.

Please NOT twilight.. a game with a bunch of 200 year old vampires chasing around high school teenagers just takes creepy to a whole new level :(

edit.. if you meant the RPGs Twilight 2000 or Twilight 2013, apologies
  • solidshatnersolidshatner Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Its a friggin CRIME that no one has made a solid Doctor Who RPG or MMO. The closest thing that comes to it is FalloutWho (a mod for Fallout Vegas) which was actually damn good. You got to explore the TARDIS, fly it, make your Timelord (character) travel the wastes, Skaro, etc. Everytime I here about a new Doctor Who game I get super excited until I hear that some MORON thought it would be a brilliant idea to make look/play like Super Mario Bros.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    imo?
    Farscape.

The feds of this game feel more like peace keepers in all fairness too :p

+1 Started watching this series again for the first time since originally seeing it on television and I have to say.... in many respects its even better than Star Trek or Star Wars! The diversity in aliens alone puts Star Trek to shame (excluding TOS and maybe even Voyager to an extent)

Would make an amazing MMO with endless possibilities for characters, ships, and storylines. I'd happily sign up if it was done right...
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Books:

Day of the triffids

Post apocalyptic gardening

Or

The lensmen series

Because ravening beams of destruction are fun.

TV:

Survivors

More post apocalyptic gardening

Or

Captain Scarlet

Mysterions = Iconians?

Film:

Skycaptain and the world of tomorrow

Angelina Jolie With an eye patch

Or

Rocky Horror Picture. Show

Not sure how the plot would work but the soundtrack would rock
  • herbiehdykemanherbiehdykeman Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I would like to see a Battlestar Galactica MMO ...No, not the GINO MMO that is out.. but based on the original, where the Cylons were definitely NOT created by humans, and the Vipers actually shot lasers!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    A Farscape MMO would be interesting.
    rinkster wrote: »
    Film:

Skycaptain and the world of tomorrow

Angelina Jolie With an eye patch

That movie was so stupid but I love it so much. It would make a great game series too.
    I would like to see a Battlestar Galactica MMO ...No, not the GINO MMO that is out.. but based on the original, where the Cylons were definitely NOT created by humans, and the Vipers actually shot lasers!!!

And Cylons weren't sexy? :P
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think ThePrisoner could make an interesting MMO :cool:
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited March 2014
    Its a friggin CRIME that no one has made a solid Doctor Who RPG or MMO. The closest thing that comes to it is FalloutWho (a mod for Fallout Vegas) which was actually damn good. You got to explore the TARDIS, fly it, make your Timelord (character) travel the wastes, Skaro, etc. Everytime I here about a new Doctor Who game I get super excited until I hear that some MORON thought it would be a brilliant idea to make look/play like Super Mario Bros.

I would likely enjoy a well-made Dr. Who MMO, but how would you do it? Obviously, everyone cannot be the Doctor, but everyone would want to be a Time Lord. What other class could be offered to compare? And should you wish to walk on the Dark Side, there's not really much to do as a Dalek or Cyberman. They're both something of drone races. I could see Sontarans, they often function independently.

Then there's the whole time/space thing. Lets say we get to play companions. Where do we start? Jacobean Scotland? 25th century outer space? Modern Cardiff? What if I wanted to play a Roman nobleman?
    edited March 2014
    I would likely enjoy a well-made Dr. Who MMO, but how would you do it? Obviously, everyone cannot be the Doctor, but everyone would want to be a Time Lord. What other class could be offered to compare? And should you wish to walk on the Dark Side, there's not really much to do as a Dalek or Cyberman. They're both something of drone races. I could see Sontarans, they often function independently.

Then there's the whole time/space thing. Lets say we get to play companions. Where do we start? Jacobean Scotland? 25th century outer space? Modern Cardiff? What if I wanted to play a Roman nobleman?

It could be set during the Time War, before Gallifrey was destroyed.
    edited March 2014
    But then again, that kind of sets a bleak outlook on things doesn't it...........
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    imo?
    Farscape.

The feds of this game feel more like peace keepers in all fairness too :p

No, not at all.
    Peacekeepers are quiet efficient and only resort to violence if it seems to serve a purpose. They are not needlessly cruel unlike the STO federation.

We are more like the Scarrans evil cousins....
    I hated that show! At least Tom Paris never wore a hawaiian shirt on the bridge, like the slacker doofus who piloted the Andromeda. Plus the Andromeda looked like a cheap toy.

Mhm the first 2 season were pretty OK, but when they turned it into Herkules in Space.... well it went down the hill...
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Star Trek :cool:

I also think Terminator would make for a good, gritty MMO. Set it in the Future War against Skynet. Play as either Human Resistance or as a machine serving Skynet.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014

How about the Cyber-Wars? You get to control whole galaxies and 'splod them! Also probably no Doctor, so no need to pay out for expensive voice work.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Much as I adore Firefly, I can't see it as an MMO, too limited in scope, unless you get back to an all-out war between Brownshirts and Alliance again.

The others are a bit too generic for my tastes. I mean Babylon 5 is pretty much indistinguishable from DS9 concept-wise (although it was a good series with its own unique twists). Stargate is a possibility but it never really floated my boat.

I like the idea of Warehouse 13, though that's not s-f. The setup of "investigation into mystical mcguffin" is tailor made for repeatability, escalation, unlimited weird arcane evil characters, etc., and you could have lots of agents running around.
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    gurugeorge wrote: »
    Much as I adore Firefly, I can't see it as an MMO, too limited in scope, unless you get back to an all-out war between Brownshirts and Alliance again.
    Much as I adore Firefly... Brownshirts and Alliance again.
    adore Firefly
    Brownshirts

[rages internally]
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
    edited March 2014
    Star Trek :cool:

I also think Terminator would make for a good, gritty MMO. Set it in the Future War against Skynet. Play as either Human Resistance or as a machine serving Skynet.

Honestly, Star Trek wouldn't have been my first choice for an MMO.
    After having played Star Trek as a P&P Rpg I did always find it kind of... limited in terms of what the players can do, mostly being locked into that "Starfleet officer" role...

For Terminator... that would end up as an generic post-apocalyptic MMO, with the limitation that the enemy would be Machines first, if not, only.

The fun parts of terminator were IMO not the future-skynet fighting parts, it were the present day parts, which are pretty hard to capture in an MMO.

The others are a bit too generic for my tastes. I mean Babylon 5 is pretty much indistinguishable from DS9 concept-wise (although it was a good series with its own unique twists). Stargate is a possibility but it never really floated my boat.

I like the idea of Warehouse 13, though that's not s-f. The setup of "investigation into mystical mcguffin" is tailor made for repeatability, escalation, unlimited weird arcane evil characters, etc., and you could have lots of agents running around.

I agree on that Firelfy part.
    Its my favorite show ever, but the charm came from the characters, the setting itself played a relatively minor role in terms of "making it awesome".
    Could work, but I don't think it would be a good choice.

B5 could, honestly, to some degree copy and paste the STO concept. It would work even better there.

For Stargate, there was an MMO that was pretty much finished when it was canceled. Looked promising to me.

What I would really like to see is a Vampire MMO (although that is not Sci fi).
    I personally think the market kind of lacks MMOs taking place in a present-day-like setting.
    The only ones I know are the several Superhero mmos (which do not really hold my attention) and Secret World which has some really great... concepts but kind of... didn't catch on.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Last I heard, CCP was still working on an MMO based on Vampire: the Masquerade. Anyone have any more recent info?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Hmm... the Anime Hellsing might make a good Vampire MMO.

For Factions you have the British Order of Protestant Knights Hellsing on one side, and the Vatican's Organization XIII on the other. Both sides take on creatures of the night (aka Vampires), but they're also at each other's throats a lot, and go about it differently, which would manifest in the different classes.

For Organization XIII, you'd have normal Soldiers, Warrior Nuns, and Regenerators. Regenerators would be people that are altered in various ways to be far stronger than normal, can shrug off some pretty decent blows, and can regenerate from anything that does harm them.

Hellsing has standard soldiers as well, but you could also train specifically as a Vampire Hunter, or play as a Vampire yourself. Now, in the case of that last one, the backstory would be rather interesting. See, Hellsing has a secret weapon when it comes to fighting Vampires - they have the strongest of Vampires, Alucard, under their control. Now, if you were to play a Vampire Class for Hellsing, you'd have a unique, two-stage tutorial - first stage would be as a civilian caught up in a Vampire attack, which the attacking Vampire would use as a hostage when Alucard shows up. In the course of taking out the attacking vampire, you'd be mortally wounded, and Alucard would turn you into a Vampire to save your life. Thus, the second stage of the tutorial would be you as a new Vampire, getting used to your abilities and your new home - Hellsing HQ.

So, it'd definitely be a rather interesting MMO. :D
    76561198160276582.png
    edited March 2014
    takeshi6 wrote: »
    Hmm... the Anime Hellsing might make a good Vampire MMO.

For Factions you have the British Order of Protestant Knights Hellsing on one side, and the Vatican's Organization XIII on the other. Both sides take on creatures of the night (aka Vampires), but they're also at each other's throats a lot, and go about it differently, which would manifest in the different classes.

For Organization XIII, you'd have normal Soldiers, Warrior Nuns, and Regenerators. Regenerators would be people that are altered in various ways to be far stronger than normal, can shrug off some pretty decent blows, and can regenerate from anything that does harm them.

Hellsing has standard soldiers as well, but you could also train specifically as a Vampire Hunter, or play as a Vampire yourself. Now, in the case of that last one, the backstory would be rather interesting. See, Hellsing has a secret weapon when it comes to fighting Vampires - they have the strongest of Vampires, Alucard, under their control. Now, if you were to play a Vampire Class for Hellsing, you'd have a unique, two-stage tutorial - first stage would be as a civilian caught up in a Vampire attack, which the attacking Vampire would use as a hostage when Alucard shows up. In the course of taking out the attacking vampire, you'd be mortally wounded, and Alucard would turn you into a Vampire to save your life. Thus, the second stage of the tutorial would be you as a new Vampire, getting used to your abilities and your new home - Hellsing HQ.

So, it'd definitely be a rather interesting MMO. :D

Mhm.
    The concept itself might actually work that way.
    Thing is Helsing is an anime. I mean its the only one I actually watched and enjoyed, but still, I personally couldn't invest my attention into a game looking like that on the long run, and a to of generally intrested people wouldn't touch it in the first place.

And if it doesn't look that way... its not true to the original^^
    jonsills wrote: »
    Last I heard, CCP was still working on an MMO based on Vampire: the Masquerade. Anyone have any more recent info?

That has been mentioned several times over the years.
    The setting would be perfect, IMO. You could have the Werewolfs too, and you'd have a lot of lore to go with.
    (On the negative it would probably attract far to many Twilight-girlys who still confuse fairys with Vampires. But thats another problem anyway: Twilight has ruined the Vampire genre for a lot f people.... so I'm not sure if any Vampire game would be successful after that.)

But that particular game.... well.... the game originally in progress would have an engine that would make WOW look modern after all that time.
    Also Masquerade isn't even sold as P&P any more, for years now (unless they returned to Maquerade without me knowing, which would be awesome), last time I checked they only produced that dumped down "requiem" or however it was called... And I think even that is gone...

So whenever I hear something about that Masquarade MMO.... I'll not believe it being in development until I play it^^
    edited March 2014
    For Terminator... that would end up as an generic post-apocalyptic MMO, with the limitation that the enemy would be Machines first, if not, only.

The fun parts of terminator were IMO not the future-skynet fighting parts, it were the present day parts, which are pretty hard to capture in an MMO.
    Just take what T:SCC did with expanding thee scope of the Time War to the next level.... all-out war between the past and future. Seriously, there were dozens of Terminators of various models seen in T;SCC, most of which died.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited March 2014
    Just take what T:SCC did with expanding thee scope of the Time War to the next level.... all-out war between the past and future. Seriously, there were dozens of Terminators of various models seen in T;SCC, most of which died.

Maybe a Secret World type thing? Maybe?
    edited March 2014
    Maybe a Secret World type thing? Maybe?
    What's that?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited March 2014

Great story does not mean it can be transferred into an mmo. And I don't think terminator would work as an mmo, just like back to the future or ghostbusters are great movies but not suitable for MMOs.
  • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    felixhex wrote: »
    This doesn't fall into the category of which MMO but what about Marvel Universe? Think DC Universe.

Champions was supposed to be Marvel's MMO. That was already mentioned in the thread.

Marvel does have Marvel Heroes they claim is a MMO. And I guess it's has the M and M and O but it's nothing like the other hero MMO's we have seen like CoX (still was the best of the lot but NCSoft wanted to take their ball and go home basically. They shut it down because they got their feelings hurt. Which is why I won't even look at Wildstar because NCSoft is even worst than PWE), DCUO, and CO.

And since vampire stuff was mentioned, then we can vote for fantasy in here too. I'd say Game of Thrones.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • markjames1markjames1 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hi,

What about 'Planet of the Apes' as a MMORPG?

My friends and I years ago developed a tabletop Role Playing game based on that universe...and it was a blast.

We couldn't decide if we wanted to be astronauts, native humans being hunted, gorillas, chimpanzees, orangutans or mutants.

This was based in the original 20th Century Fox Apes franchise... not the new ones. We also went on to incorporate some of the elements of the short lived TV Series, where humans lived among apes and were able to talk.

(IMO, I don't know if the Apes franchise is popular enough these days to carry an MMO)

Just a thought!
    star-trek-london-captains_zps420d10b3.jpg

These Are The Voyages...
    edited March 2014
    Great story does not mean it can be transferred into an mmo. And I don't think terminator would work as an mmo, just like back to the future or ghostbusters are great movies but not suitable for MMOs.
    Well, here's the thing... how many humans and how many terminators were involved in the war? Thousands, if not millions. For the TErminators you could be a unit that reports to Skynet and gets assigned missions that way.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing