test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ESD is not going to improve zone use at ESD.

Comments

• centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    sumghai wrote: »
    Best. Idea. Ever.

But seriously, not only does the offending player see the consequences of their actions, they do so in a manner that fits the theme of the game :)

If you're Klingon you get thrown in the tub. WITH SOAP.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    Why do everyone always assume that there are too many players that lag them out? It's their damn rendering system.

They don't use LODS ie, level of detail, where futher away the model is lower poly and only close up is it higher poly aka for the non-modelers out there more detailed = high poly. But the biggest issue is the fact that their rendering system for some odd reason stacks identical models (exactly same model pieces with the exactly same poly count) onto of one another. In basic terms again for the non-modeler/modder/programmer etc, you're loading 4-8 times the amount of models you need (depending on how many they stack). So each ship for example is 4 times what you see. May as well have 4 different ships there. It's something that really needs to be addressed. If they spent a half season to fix this lag would drop to almost nothing. It would ease the servers, ease people's networks and make social zones run a lot more smoothly in terms of playability. Plus larger instances wouldn't be that much of a problem either.

ORLY?

I made a bunch of LODs this afternoon. I guess that was all wasted effort, since we don't use them anyway. . .

What are you guy's even arguing about? Lag can be caused by dozens of problems at once

^SO MUCH THIS^
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ORLY?

I made a bunch of LODs this afternoon. I guess that was all wasted effort, since we don't use them anyway. . .

I think you should be flattered: if he knows so much about LODs but can't tell that you're using them, you're probably using them quite masterfully! ;)
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    They don't use LODS .

Obviously you were not on the new ESD when it first appeared on tribble because the Miranda's LODs were messed up because the model was scaled up but not it's LOD distances. would have been obvious they used them.
  • varzecvarzec Member Posts: 129 Media Corps
    edited March 2014
    Here is my 2 Cents.

The new ESD is beautiful with plenty of places for role players and others to just get along.

Those of you complain about "Forcing" people to listen to the role play. There's a simple answer to that use your ignore list, if you don't want to hear it. However, us role players do not have that option when it comes to the actions of disruptive players. We can ignore the words, but disruptive behavior can't be stopped. The Party Balll, Party Poppers, and fire extinguishers can still be used with malicious intent.

I wouldn't mind seeing a kick from instance type of mechanic if enough people complain about a disrupter.
    original.jpg?1521423860
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Party amps again...

Sad that items intended to be used for fun have received such vitriol from players.

But fun is subjective. While I try to have fun and evoke some good spirits out of people, others who are busy looking at exchange or bank windows are suddenly grievously offended when their avatars start dancing. Oh, I'm sorry. Did I just ruin your immersion? Is your framerate dropping? Oh, poor you. I'm so sorry. "This is not proper behavior for a Starfleet Officer or Klingon Warrior to be dancing around having a good time! Play the game proper!" :P

Sometimes I wonder what crawled up people's orifices and died that have turned some of them into such angry people. Seriously... :rolleyes:

...Then again, the phaser lance thing has me in an uproar at the moment, so...

Rage on, folks. :mad:
    edited March 2014
    ORLY?

Show 'em to us art thread guys. We'd like to see em.
    ^SO MUCH THIS^

Let's see..... Your RAM, your CPU, the quality of your ISP, the cables running to your house, your modem/router, your WiFi signal strength, the motherboard, the cables running to your neighborhood, the weather (if you have satellite internet), bandwidth caps, netflix, the number of devices you have hooked up to your modem/router, sunflares, trees, your dad running over the internet cable with a rototiller.... what else?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Show 'em to us art thread guys. We'd like to see em.

Let's see..... Your RAM, your CPU, the quality of your ISP, the cables running to your house, your modem/router, your WiFi signal strength, the motherboard, the cables running to your neighborhood, the weather (if you have satellite internet), bandwidth caps, netflix, the number of devices you have hooked up to your modem/router, sunflares, trees, your dad running over the internet cable with a rototiller.... what else?
    last night my MI grinding was interrupted by a city wide power outage. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    protogoth wrote: »
    I shouldn't have to turn off Zone/Local in order to accommodate those who are violating the PWE Terms of Service, especially when this nonsense only happens in certain areas. I am expected to limit my options because some microbrain is spewing racial slurs, homophobic hate speech, sexist "humor"? No. PWE should step up to the plate and mete out justice.

Learn how to use the ignore feature. All of that goes away very quickly when you do.
    edited March 2014
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    Learn how to use the ignore feature. All of that goes away very quickly when you do.

And turning off Zone Chat.
  • nellythelwnellythelw Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Askray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mozohamozoha Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    Yeah, man, everyone hates a party!!!! :mad:

LOL!!!!

lmfao
    10 char
  • firestorm10491firestorm10491 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    nellythelw wrote: »
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Askray

DJs were apart of the game for a good while until it sucked to much to bear or became the f2p cesspool it is now. To be honest didn't see that many after the first year. Quite frankly I don't see that much of an issue with chat.

For chat I usually just whitelist and all the noise falls away. I just wish I could do it without annoying people with balloons and disco balls.
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Oh don't feel bad about it at all. At least you weren't asked by another forum user here to search through 628 pages (6278 posts) to find one piece of information that he already knows where it is, but refuses to link it. :P

As much as I hate the expression, recently I have found myself using it....

And I hope you did the following....

"Link or it didn't happen"

I know it is lazy, I know it is self righteous and I know it is arrogant..... but in a thread with 600+ pages, it is fully justified and warranted.
    edited March 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    As much as I hate the expression, recently I have found myself using it....

And I hope you did the following....

"Link or it didn't happen"

I know it is lazy, I know it is self righteous and I know it is arrogant..... but in a thread with 600+ pages, it is fully justified and warranted.
    I disagree. Telling someone that your opinion is right and all others are wrong is fine.... if you demonstrate why. To make such a claim and then tell the person you are talking to to find the information themselves is arrogant and obnoxious. thus telling them to provide proof is fully warranted.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited March 2014
    Facts are helpful. If only Republicans and Democrats knew this.
    edited March 2014
    Facts are helpful. If only Republicans and Democrats knew this.
    Politicians are politicians. :(
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited March 2014
    Politicians are politicians. :(

We should do what that one planet did in one of the Hitchhikers books and fire them into space.
  • deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member Posts: 265
    edited March 2014
    I enjoy ESD chat at most times, its not always trollish and we do have this thing called a ignore feature + a report to GM feature YOU get to police your own chat...
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • cabezadetortugacabezadetortuga Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    stararmy wrote: »

I think if you ask around, people will agree that the real main issue facing ESD is it banal zone chat, which has become a soapbox for bigots to spew hate speech due to a total absence of moderation. If there's anywhere in the game where there needs to be a GM online 24/7, it should be ESD.

The thing about accusations of hate speech is that many people's definition of "hate speech" is anything with which they disagree. I would not want over-moderation to squash free-spirited discourse.
  • phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It is regrettable that so much shameful content is allowed on STO, such as the idiot horns, trolling balls, etc etc.

Shameful behavior shouldn't be encouraged. Keep ESD pure of all contamination and corruption.

i find the mindlessly stupid(and endless) ranting about religion, obama or stupid jokes about bacon and gorn in ESD general chat to be the truly ridiculous "content", there is nothing wrong with disco balls or party horns, they're actually funny, unlike the former things.

god, i still remember DS9 during US presidential election year, it was painful looking at that chat.
  • kennymkcormickkennymkcormick Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Oh.. by the by.. Cryptic...

Players avoiding public social zones.. they're under utilized.. Right. The Studio's and it's policies have allowed the games social zones to deteriorate into a unfriendly if not hostile social environment.

That's the real reason so many players avoid the games social hubs. Terk fans are not as a rule stupid people. I don't care how pretty you make ESD, or any of the other social hubs of the game. As long as the studio refuses to address or police certain disruptive activity (such as party amp bombing) the majority of players will continue to avoid these zones other then when they absolutely have to go to them. It this studio will not address the root issue that is the cause of this avoidance, then players will continue to not chose to expose themselves to a percieved hostile social environment. Note the word "percieved"

The games GMs are going to have to start giving disruptive players the chop (time outs, 24 hour bans etc, closing accounts as a last resort,) and perception will change. It won't happen over night, but it will happen. It'll never be perfect, but unless the studio addresses this as a real issue, it's not going to change. That is the only way the above mentioned perception is going to change.

It's not the architecture, layout, or utility of the zones that's causing the under utilization of the social zones. It is the "feel" of the environment caused by the activities of a minority of the player base. This is why shopping malls have security guards, or a visible police presence and bars,clubs and dance venues have bouncers.

I'n a month or so... When the new ESD goes live.. I will be happy to show proof that I am correct by encouraging net radio station DJ's to take their shows BACK to ESD. I can absolutely guarantee you that when the party bombers follow, and they will, just like flies to ****, the player pop in what will be a more open and visible ESD virtual space will drop like a rock, and will likely be even lower then it is now. It wont be the DJ's fault, or the fault of the dance party crowd. It'll be the fault of the prankers'/ trollers'/ griefers' that are creating a negative social environment. People will flee the zone to avoid the party amp bombing that will happen. And of course...THEY will point at the dance party types and say its "Their" fault..

((been over 6 months.. The studio put these things in game.. didn't test em right.. didn't try to find out if there really were working as intended by the wording of the tool tip. you say gotta a million users?.. Be thankfull that those million users aren't all using them. Prolly lock up your servers just keeping track of them all. And party poppers were mearly irritating..those party amps are far worse))

Want to increase social zone use? Then POLICE them! So players feel safe an un harassed visiting them. Other wise its not going to change no matter what you do.

1)You idiot its spelled *Trek* not twerk and second what made you think you can speak for everyone for one i do NOT LIKE it when someone thinks they can speak for me i am very capable of doing so my self 2) They gave party balls for partying not to be collecting dust in socail zones its quite normal to have fun and the party poppers were given because of the anniversary event if we weren't supposed to use them they wopuldn't be operable on ESD.
    NOW GTFO
  • scipherscipher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Oh.. by the by.. Cryptic...

Players avoiding public social zones.. they're under utilized.. Right. The Studio's and it's policies have allowed the games social zones to deteriorate into a unfriendly if not hostile social environment.

That's the real reason so many players avoid the games social hubs. Terk fans are not as a rule stupid people. I don't care how pretty you make ESD, or any of the other social hubs of the game. As long as the studio refuses to address or police certain disruptive activity (such as party amp bombing) the majority of players will continue to avoid these zones other then when they absolutely have to go to them. It this studio will not address the root issue that is the cause of this avoidance, then players will continue to not chose to expose themselves to a percieved hostile social environment. Note the word "percieved"

The games GMs are going to have to start giving disruptive players the chop (time outs, 24 hour bans etc, closing accounts as a last resort,) and perception will change. It won't happen over night, but it will happen. It'll never be perfect, but unless the studio addresses this as a real issue, it's not going to change. That is the only way the above mentioned perception is going to change.

It's not the architecture, layout, or utility of the zones that's causing the under utilization of the social zones. It is the "feel" of the environment caused by the activities of a minority of the player base. This is why shopping malls have security guards, or a visible police presence and bars,clubs and dance venues have bouncers.

I'n a month or so... When the new ESD goes live.. I will be happy to show proof that I am correct by encouraging net radio station DJ's to take their shows BACK to ESD. I can absolutely guarantee you that when the party bombers follow, and they will, just like flies to ****, the player pop in what will be a more open and visible ESD virtual space will drop like a rock, and will likely be even lower then it is now. It wont be the DJ's fault, or the fault of the dance party crowd. It'll be the fault of the prankers'/ trollers'/ griefers' that are creating a negative social environment. People will flee the zone to avoid the party amp bombing that will happen. And of course...THEY will point at the dance party types and say its "Their" fault..

((been over 6 months.. The studio put these things in game.. didn't test em right.. didn't try to find out if there really were working as intended by the wording of the tool tip. you say gotta a million users?.. Be thankfull that those million users aren't all using them. Prolly lock up your servers just keeping track of them all. And party poppers were mearly irritating..those party amps are far worse))

Want to increase social zone use? Then POLICE them! So players feel safe an un harassed visiting them. Other wise its not going to change no matter what you do.

Would you like a little cheese with that whine because you sound like the most unfun person a MMO has ever had the disappointment to suffer. Becuase you dont like or approve of disco balls or party anniversary guns no one should be able to use them or be allowed to have them oh lord king of the STO land. Are there any other commands your kingships would like to decree for us lowlly peeons that are beneeth you and should follow?
    "No more wire hangers, Christina"
  • scipherscipher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It is regrettable that so much shameful content is allowed on STO, such as the idiot horns, trolling balls, etc etc.

Shameful behavior shouldn't be encouraged. Keep ESD pure of all contamination and corruption.

Sir yes Sir I will get right on that!!!
    "No more wire hangers, Christina"
  • tyranthraxisiityranthraxisii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    My chat is minimized almost exclusively these days. My fleet is practically dead, and completely antisocial, There is hardly a need for communication in 99% of the game, and I don't like to see the trolls and spammers. At least this game gives you the option to minimize it though, as I have to just train myself to ignore it in other games I have played.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=TREQGl54BU8&feature=endscreen
    I thought WoW's forums had angry elitist snobs, but I never could have imagined the level STO forums has.:confused:
  • cptshephardcptshephard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
  • straengestraenge Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    My name is Straenge and I am a Roleplayer. I am also one of those possibly hitler-esque types that feel that anyone who is disruptive for the specific purpose of harassment for any reason should be HDID banned. That being said, unlike others, I actually don't feel it necessarily to keep people from being who they are, speak how they wish to speak and do what they want within reason. Zone chat here is no more worse than others I have seen and like most, tend to ignore it and majority of those who wish to argue over everything from semantics to lore but that is there prerogative. Just as it is mine if I wish to RP.

As for the Disco Balls, Balloons, ect. There is a time and place for everything. I have even used them myself on occasion at a party once but, I feel certain areas should be made into.. "no party" zones, perhaps. Banks, Exchanges, Vendors, ect. Otherwise, since they are in game and will doubtfully be ever taken out, I would, personally, appreciate a way to avoid them and/or turn them off, at least graphically using a menu option (checkmark here to turn off all party favors) allowing also a variable so where a disco ball happen to be made, my character wouldn't be affected by it. Also, bind /movement_reset to a key or just type it. It will immediately stop your 'dancing' emote.

As for people.. they will always be people. In most MMO's, I disregard about 75% of the population on average just due to personal tastes but I won't push my own ideals on someone because, I wouldn't wish it to happen to me. Trolls, for the most part, will always exist. Learn to deal with them effectively (Ignore, play with them before asking them kindly to stop which, surprisingly works well sometimes or change instances.) or move on because anything else will always be construed as someone whining about not getting their way.

As for the way Roleplayers are treated here, I will say this. I have been to some of the best communities (City of Heroes) to the worst (*********) and like most games, STO is somewhere in the middle. I have found quite a few friends in game as well as fellow RP'ers but I have also found a few Trolls and others who want nothing more than to have their, however warped, idea of fun. But, I have also witnessed certain Roleplayers who, I am sure are happy in their ideals, behave rather.. snobbish toward anyone who they do not deem worth their while. I admit, I can be a bit snobbish myself but, while I do not tend to appreciate or like much of a population in an MMO, I also try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and be as friendly as possible but I have witnessed quite a number of.. cliques in this game that makes me wonder if they weren't possibly trolled for a reason..

I have seen drama from all walks in life but no drama can outmatch an apparently offended RP'er or offended player of a game in general but I hear and see it so often in this game that it is rare to find anyone that says anything good about it or, *gasp* having fun for the sake of fun.. The point is, ESD will change for the better or worse or stay the same. It doesn't depend on "all those idiots in Zone chat" or the "Roleplayers" or the "Net DJ's" or the "Offended and Harassed players". It depends on all of you.. to make it what you will. A possibly fun and polite place to welcome new people and explore a game we all share a love for.
  • gardatgardat Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's almost like the OP wants to dictate how other people should be allowed to play the game.

No wait, its exactly like that.

Actually if we're looking for ideas on how to improve the social experience of STO lets do this instead:

Let's apply Megan's Law / Sarah's Law to online gaming environments.

I see no drawbacks whatsoever and we should always be thinking of child safety.

For reference:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/sarahs-law-to-be-rolled-out-nationally-1914989.html
    http://www.parentsformeganslaw.org/public/meganFederal.html
    486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I just love the Flotilla. If I could set up home in there, I would. :) New ESD is pretty slick too.

Social zones, though? When I joined STO, a few years back, ESD was a place of learning, with many helpful ppl. Nowadays it's infested with the Gorn folks that used to hang around DS9. Either Gorn jokes, or rude politics.

Like EvE Online, STO needs online GM's in the chat rooms.
    3lsZz0w.jpg