test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #3: Reputation System Redesign (Updated OP)

Comments

• rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    We're investigating solutions for existing players with half-completed Accolades in this area. Possibly auto-completing them if you only have one piece of the set, or something like that. We don't want a player that has invested into the system to lose anything they've worked toward, but we're not completely certain on how to address it just yet.

For newer players, these Accolades will likely become un-discoverable, no longer appearing in their Journal, and no longer being something they can even begin, much less complete.

Understood. Will this deprecate the Mk XII accolades as well? Since the whole MACO/Omega Accolade system is tied into collection of every tier. Even the final Accolade requires having completed the previous tier.

This will remove about 6-8 titles from the game for new players, as well as reduce replay for the ground STFs.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    icsairguns wrote: »
    your joking right? they put a 1 hour project grind to the already rep grind. so your now grinding a grind.
    You do realize, I hope, that not everyone thinks of this sort of stuff as "grinding." I don't, and even if I'm the only one who doesn't think of this as "grinding, " that doesn't matter to me. This revamping of the Reputation system is a very welcome change. Also, they've had the 1 hour XP project, or did you miss the small XP projects that all the reputations have at the moment? Those XP projects take one hour, and this change is just a lot better than what is now in game. In case you missed it, the costs of tiering up into the reputation will remain constant, meaning you won't need more Expertise when going from Tier 2 to Tier 3, which is like the Dyson Rep. So, it's not as bad as you're trying to make it out to be.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    the changes made to Mirror Universe mean that Expertise is hard to come by in large quantities whilst playing at endgame level. .

Now, you know i dont go round looking for ways to support Cryptic, but haven't you said in the past that you wont use the doff system?

Because, for me, thats where I get that steady supply of expertise that sees me through.

I appreciate it may not be your favourite part of the game, but it is there and does give expertise. Less at one time than the old MI but more regulary.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    If they don't change it from the way it is on Tribble, it's 3 times per day.

That kind of sucks. For the Dyson rep, I never used the hourly much during my first toons stretch, but on my alts I made use of it to pick up the gap for tier 3 and then tier 4 progression. That required running it around 6 times in one day and then 5 the next. Guess my progression on alts just got slowed down again.

Define "all on your own." Are you saying you're soloing a fleet? It was never designed for 1 player to do it. It requires a group effort to amass the resources, including xp.

Haha, essentially I kind of am man yeah. Not on my total lonesome, but there is only one other person who has really contributed anything worth mentioning. Though he is sporadic and doesn't play for months at a time. Our starbase and facilities are tier 3, our mine/embassy and facilities are tier 2, and our spire is tier 1 so far. I hold the top 10 spots on all of those leaderboards and have earned tens of millions of FC across my toons, most of which I've funnelled back into the starbase by way of fleet mark bonuses or buying fleet doffs for projects.

I realise the fleet system is 'designed' for a fleet of 500, but not everybody wants to be in a fleet of 500. I started a gaming community for an RP mod of Elite Force back in 2007, the only people in our fleet are members of that community. We've been together for nearly 7 years, the thought of splitting off into fleets that aren't our own isn't appealing, nor is inviting new blood because we're all set in our ways and enjoy our own company. Sadly, many of them gave up on STO around the same time fleet bases were added because they found it to be too much of a grind to class as fun any more.

Also, just to be clear, I wasn't complaining about the fleet system being difficult for small fleets (it is, but that wasn't what I was saying). I was merely showing sympathy for somebody in a similar situation who finds XP to be a prized commodity. Once I hit tier 5 in all of the rep systems with all 14 of my toons, I'm sure it wont be as bad.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Quote:

All reputations will have their Large and Small XP projects replaced with a Daily and an Hourly XP project. Each of these projects requires the following:

Marks
    Expertise
    Energy Credits

I have loved the ease of the new Dyson reputation, I really have. But that is mostly because the daily projects did not require EXPERTISE. I don't care about spending EC on various consumables, that's not that hard to afford, and honestly, WHO CARES if we had to add in the Commendations? (How is that bad anyway, were people REALLY that upset to read an extra line in there assets view?) But the expertise requirement, oh, that has had my reputation projects bottle-necked for days at a time, many times. I am really disappointed that the Expertise requirement is going back in. Terrible idea. The Dyson reputation is perfect AS IS. The other reputations should have just been cloned to match the Dyson one.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • worgausworgaus Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Could we get a set piece upgrade reputation project, especially since the older, lower level set pieces are being phased out and some of us haven't completed those sets yet?
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You do realize, I hope, that not everyone thinks of this sort of stuff as "grinding." I don't, and even if I'm the only one who doesn't think of this as "grinding, " that doesn't matter to me. This revamping of the Reputation system is a very welcome change. Also, they've had the 1 hour XP project, or did you miss the small XP projects that all the reputations have at the moment? Those XP projects take one hour, and this change is just a lot better than what is now in game. In case you missed it, the costs of tiering up into the reputation will remain constant, meaning you won't need more Expertise when going from Tier 2 to Tier 3, which is like the Dyson Rep. So, it's not as bad as you're trying to make it out to be.

maybe you missed this post.
    I don't care for the hourly projects at all. when I make an alt toon I lvl all 4 reps at same time. 3 would complete on same day and dyson took 2 weeks longer. I guess if you do not have many toons, or you like grinding a grind its ok but its not for me.

and then they say a handful of times is all you can do for the rep then it turns to dil rewards.

like it or not it takes longer to grind the rep system with the dyson style hourly missions unless you sit there all day and grind the grind. and maybe you do not see it as a grind sorry open your eyes cause that's what it is.

and with the commendations being removed from the game even the old dyson rep is now more grind than it was because you now will have to have xp and ec to donate in addition to the marks they give to replace the commendation.

I agree for the most part these changes are better, but its still a grind and going to take longer to lvl a rep now. and the only rep that had the hourly mission was dyson the two projects for the other reps were 20 hours. so both completed at same time.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This all sounds really good. Question, though:

Is the need to gather consumables and commodities being removed from existing reps and replaced with EC expenses like on the Dyson one? While it's nice that if you want to spend the time to make a Ferengi captain and get an invite to a Cell/Tuffli you can save some EC, the actual logistics scream "time sink" much more than they do "this is fun!"
  • gorngonzollagorngonzolla Member Posts: 172 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    I am curious how many a 'handful' is.

This will be determined through the course of beta, but initially it will be three. We'll see how that pans out if we need to increase it.
    Will there be any change to the current rewards granted by reputation missions like the current Borg STFs or Dyson STFs due to these changes?

Other than Dyson Joint Command Commendations being replaced by a Daily Mark bonus, nope!
    Will any content that rewards reputation marks also reward the bonus such as the Defari Invasion zone missions, Nukara zone missions, Dyson battlezone missions, and/or Gamma Orionis Daily?

Yes, that is the plan.
    Any thoughts of a fleet mark daily bonus?

I'd say this is definitely on the table. We'll have to see if and when we want to set this up. I like the idea though.
    Will their be a visible cooldown of these 'bonus' mark boxes or will it remain like the Daily Commendation where the player must track it?

Due to the way we had to set these reward packs up, no there will not be a visible cooldown. It might be possible to add this later though. We'll have to see.
    Someone pinch me, I HAVE to be dreaming. Cryptic not only LESSENING a grind, but making it less complicated.

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES, THE SKY IS FALLING.

*PINCH* Hey. You asked for it.
    The only question... why did take so long to do this change.

We needed to test to see if these changes would improve engagement, or at the very least, not hurt it. The Dyson Joint Command reputation was our chance to do just this. We learned some lessons and implemented them into the reputation progression structure.
    Will this change affect sponsorship in any way?

While Captain Smirk updated the Q&A section of the blog to incorporate this, I'll also answer it here. No. We're quite happy how it is working out. On a personal note, I love this feature! It and reward packs are my favorite components of the Dyson Joint Command rep.
    I still have a bunch of unused Dyson Commendations. What will become of those when S9 drops? Will they be auto-converted to marks, and if so, at what exchange rate?

There's a quick Upgrade slot project that converts them.
    Wow.. sounds great and makes me really happy.. !!! One question about the Reward Packs.. will the Omega ones have a chance to contain Borg Neural Processors (similar to the Voth Cybernetic Implants being in Dyson packs sometimes) or will they stay STF only?

Omega reward packs will indeed have a small chance for a Borg Neural Processor! Good question!
    Any new items like Warp Cores for the older sets, romulan rep ground sets or addition of the currently unavailable costumes?

This was a stretch goal for us for this feature that we didn't hit unfortunately. I really wanted to make all space sets in reps have a warp core. The biggest hurdle was finding time to design and implement interesting 4 piece bonuses that would both be interesting and not require art.
    Will pre-exisiting sets get the auto costume unlock?

Unfortunately, not immediately. This is something we hope to address in the future.
    It mentions costume unlocks for items. What exactly is that, and how do I unlock them?

Task Force Omega has some ground costume projects that become unlocked when you have completed all three ground equipment projects for a given Mk set. Dyson Joint Command has a similar project that requires all three pieces of the ground set.
    Legitimately I think they wanted to datamine the ever loving TRIBBLE out of Season 8 and the Dyson system before they came to a final decision.

It's good to have data to back up what my design insticts were telling me.
    What will be the fate of any half-completed reputation console projects (e.g. slotted, partially filled) when the new rep system goes live?

You can still complete any slotted projects. We didn't delete them, we merely made them no longer available unless they're alreasdy slotted.
    Am I reading this right? All these projects will no longer require such irritating amounts of hypos, large regenerators and dilithium. I'll just need marks, ecs and xp? And I won't have to mess with the exchange unless I need to earn ecs?

If so, I might actually do a reputation project.

XP projects require: Expertise, Energy Credits and Marks

Equipment projects require: Energy Credits, Marks (and some cases Elite Marks) and Dilithium.

We've removed commodities and consumables as input requirements.
    Q1: Please release more information with regards to the updated Reman/Romulan/Nukara space sets.

This is not a question. :P Keep an eye on the tribble patch notes. I don't want to post those here until we have them 100% hammered out.
    Q2: Will a MK 12 version of the Breen Space Set be released into the lobistore?

Not at this time.
    Q4: With these daily marks being released, what other changes are planned for existing queues and their rewards. For instance, will I still receive a minimum of 60 Omega Marks for running a ESTF? Will an epohh elder still grant me 400 Romulan Marks?

Rewards for existing content will not be affected by the introduction of bonus daily marks.

Regards,
    Phil "Gorngonzolla" Zeleski
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    An elite STF gives you around a thousand Expertise if you are lucky.

One Mark XII set item needs 64 THOUSAND Expertise. 64000. That's 64 elite STFS for ONE set item.

Now, with the old MU, you could grind up to 30k Expertise if you really grinded it for an hour with a good level 50 character. That's two hours for the exp cost for 1 set item.

Now.... where will I get the Expertise for these sets? New Mu is way too slow and cooldowned.

Starbase 24 is good experience source.

Edit: Will the rep revamp also include projects to upgrade Mk X/XI gear to Mk XII
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • masterkampmasterkamp Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Looks nice.

But i still have some questions.

What about the BORG Space Set MK XI, will this be improved too?

And if your are already have the MK XI BORG set, will this be automaticly be improved to MK XII?

And if it don't, how does this work with the Set and the Reputation system then?
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Also, just to be clear, I wasn't complaining about the fleet system being difficult for small fleets (it is, but that wasn't what I was saying). I was merely showing sympathy for somebody in a similar situation who finds XP to be a prized commodity. Once I hit tier 5 in all of the rep systems with all 14 of my toons, I'm sure it wont be as bad.

Totally got that. Although if you can pick up a handful of others it would certainly help. My fleet is rather small. We have maybe 5 or 6 'big contributors' at the tops of all the leaderboards with a few million apiece and then another handful or 'moderate' contributors in the low to mid hundred thousands. We haven't done too bad for ourselves. T4 base, completed mine, nearly completed embassy (final T3 upgrades in progress), T2 spire. Our KDF alt fleet on the other hand.. yeah that one's a lot more in line with what you're experiencing. Way behind our Fed progress; far fewer contributors.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    masterkamp wrote: »
    Looks nice.

But i still have some questions.

What about the BORG Space Set MK XI, will this be improved too?

And if your are already have the MK XI BORG set, will this be automaticly be improved to MK XII?

And if it don't, how does this work with the Set and the Reputation system then?

nothing is happening to the Borg sets at all, and you will NOT get the Mk XII version, you will still have the MK XI, just can never get the MK XI ones again.

The Rep system will just have the MK XII versions available, that is it.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    questerius wrote: »
    Starbase 24 is good experience source.

Edit: Will the rep revamp also include projects to upgrade Mk X/XI gear to Mk XII

How much does one run of it grant? How long does it take to complete it once? Those are important things to know.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    How much does one run of it grant? How long does it take to complete it once? Those are important things to know.

Learn by doing.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
    edited March 2014

Depends on how much you kill, but there's plenty of targets.
    I've never seen a run take more than 10 minutes and there's no cool down.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • didz119didz119 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Rear Admiral Didz from Tactical Operation Fleet Delta, Season 9 sounds and looks great. redone preparation system and it's great thing ahead. Good work so far
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Learn by doing.

Propably the most useless post on the forums ever.

I'll check out the XP gain per run , but I doubt its anywhere near old MU.

Though honestly, I completed the rep for most of my characters.....and due to MU's bad revamp, I'm not planning on making any more of them.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There's only one word that comes to mind: Yay!
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited March 2014
    djf021 wrote: »
    I have loved the ease of the new Dyson reputation, I really have. But that is mostly because the daily projects did not require EXPERTISE.

I agree on the expertise point. It always felt like the use of expertise in the rep trees was just a way to justify having that mechanic around. In the end, the expertise requirements has been the single largest reason I have not bothered on my alts. My main had millions of it saved up from launch day, so it was a non-issue, but needing to play for two hours doing mindless missions so you can get the kills to fill the expertise slider seems like a bit much for 7 alts that I don't play that much. Removing that slider would go a very long way towards making people think about their alts as more than just extra bank slots with names. Given that people who play their alts are more likely to buy items for them (like a ship that they would not want for their main, or a bank slot upgrade that you would not normally spend on, etc), it seems like it would be in Cryptic's best interest to make getting them to end-game status as easy as possible. Given that all rep equipment is character bound, it's not like granting access to it faster unbalances a character or affects the economy.

If you don't want to remove expertise requirements entirely, maybe you could make the sponsorship halve the amount needed or something similar?
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Totally got that. Although if you can pick up a handful of others it would certainly help. My fleet is rather small. We have maybe 5 or 6 'big contributors' at the tops of all the leaderboards with a few million apiece and then another handful or 'moderate' contributors in the low to mid hundred thousands. We haven't done too bad for ourselves. T4 base, completed mine, nearly completed embassy (final T3 upgrades in progress), T2 spire. Our KDF alt fleet on the other hand.. yeah that one's a lot more in line with what you're experiencing. Way behind our Fed progress; far fewer contributors.

Yeah I keep thinking about it. But then when I see people looking for fleets they are mostly looking for fleets that are already tier 5 or who are very nearly tier 5. I'm not so good with people either haha, so I never know how to advertise my fleet. I'm not really sure how I got members to my community in the first place all those years ago, I'm pretty sure I let somebody else do it. That's what I need, I need to find somebody I can delegate fleet relations to and let them recruit new active players, and handle their issues. :D

I'm grateful for the NoP Public Service channel, otherwise I'd have all these fleet credits and not a damned thing to show for them. I try to pay it back if I see somebody looking for a lower level base that I've already hit and I'll invite them. It's not quite the same as having it at your finger tips, but it helps keep the drive going.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • captaintpolcaptaintpol Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    System Designer Phil “Gorngonzolla” Zeleski reveals details on the upcoming release of the Reputation System Redesign in this entry of the Season 9 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

~CaptainSmirk

Will we still be able to get the Maco, Omega, Honor Guard and Adapted honor guard accolades for getting all the ground gear the Mk X, XI, and XII.
    (STO)
    Matriarch of Banished Orion Girls. Neela D'tan
    @captaintpol (with many alts)
    May we sail and have fun always and forever. LLAP

(PC version NW)
    Arwen@captaintpol TR - Tully's of RiverRun
    Mai Kelly DC-Tully's of RiverRun
    Neela BumKisses HR-
    Arya Stark GF-
    Sansa Stark CW- Team Fencebane
    Crystal Marie OP-

(xbox version NW)
    Arwen@Admiral Jazdia TR- Team Fenebane
    Mai Kelly DC- " "
    Ahsoka Tano CW- " "
    Neela BumKisser HR- " "
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This all sounds very good and reasonable. I'm glad the costume unlocks for my future characters will be much cheaper.
  • tarrennistarrennis Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Can we still sponsor our alts so they get double rewards?
    edited March 2014
    There's only one word that comes to mind: Yay!

Most changes seem to be for the best although more details on the specifics would be greatly appreciated.

I am kind of sad about the loss of commendations though. They were a nice quick way to get that 20 hour mission underway. Let's be honest, if you have to wait for 20 hours for a mission to finish you don't want to spend too much time grinding the resources for that mission.
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Im a foundry author and I can say that right now, its still very good. Yes, we all want improvements like crazy, but as is, the Foundry is still an amazing tool and many amazing stories have come out of it. To quote one of the hosts of the Foundry Roundtable (I think it's Drogyn, but its been a while since that episode now), "The Foundry is STO's retirement plan." And while, yes, it needs the updated assets, you guys can totally have fun in it right now.

So please, anyone who hits maxed out everything: please check out the Foundry.

Indeed, maybe that's exactly why the devs have avoided beefing up the Foundry: If reliance on UGC is a winding-down strategy for MMO management, then substantially beefing up a game's UGC tools and assets would amount to signaling that the game is, well, winding down - not, I presume, the message Cryptic wants to send.
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited March 2014

XP projects require: Expertise, Energy Credits and Marks

Equipment projects require: Energy Credits, Marks (and some cases Elite Marks) and Dilithium.

We've removed commodities and consumables as input requirements.

wait what are ELITE MARKS?
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Funny thing is I've been around long enough to translate Cryptic's statements. When they say bonus a lot of people seem to think its going to be something better or as useful as commendations but if you look at any bonus's they give its usually like 1-3 more than usual so it doesn't help anyone when they actually see the bottom line. That is why I liked commendations because for a character one mission and done can go to the rest. What is really happening is its going back to having to do 2-3 qued missions a day to get your daily xp for a rep project.

The other side of it is old characters expertise is not a problem but these newer ones eat it up so fast with reps and such that you got like 50 mil expertise over in one corner and then a newer character grinding out the wazoo just to get a small amount compared to the older characters. So in all imo this redesign is worse than before.
  • kamikazi2142kamikazi2142 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    With the introduction of nothing but Mk XII gear projects, and store items, why would it be so hard to just make all Mk X and Mk XI gear upgraded to Mk XII, your Q and A says that it will be automatically upgraded, but then it wont be automatically upgraded, just two lines after.

If we are not able to purchase the Mk X and Mk XI items from reputation anymore, then where else will we be able to purchase it? If some are allowed to have it, then everyone should be allowed to have it. Otherwise, you get a mess. I'm mostly concerned about the old Borg gears, i have Mk XI Assimilated gears and a set each of MACO and Omega... all Mk XI, from what i understand from the Season 9 Dev Blog #3, it will and will not be upgraded to Mk XII.
    edited March 2014
    wait what are ELITE MARKS?

I assume he means Borg Neural Procs and the like. It would be nice if these didn't eat inventory slots, by the way (hint, hint).