test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

RP Startup bad experience

timothyre99timothyre99 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
I don't know if this is the right place for this, feel free to move if necessary.

Well, today I read the guest blog on Starbase 381, so I decided to try RP for the first time. I was doing pretty well, until the accidents started happening. First, I accidentally tried to mess with a personal character background for one person, then I told someone I would go "inspect the tactical systems with them, and completely forgot to do so, and finally, I completely annoyed one of the station members by asking him questions about RP'ing which, now that I look back at them, we're probably best to be saved for the forums. Well, at least tomorrow is a new day, and will bring new, hopefully better, RP experiences for me.
Post edited by timothyre99 on

Comments

• sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    SB381 is not a good place to start roleplaying at and I've heard from many people to avoid it, myself. I would go find a group of roleplayers somewhere, I hear there's a channel called STORP or something with a huge group of RPers that are willing to help you though I'm not quite sure.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Sounds to me that you will be just fine. You noticed gaps in your approach and are endeavoring to bridge them. Your next roleplay session will go smoother. Just because your considering different approaches. And by all means, do ask questions about roleplay technique in Ten Forward or at the SB 381's web forum when they set an Out of Character general RP discussion forum to compare notes in.

Edited to add: I also concur with the suggestion of the STORP channel.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    SB381 is absolutely a great place to roleplay and I know the community there is helpful. It might just be a case of catching them at the right time. If you need any help, I also suggest the STO-wide RP channel as mentioned above, or get in contact with a roleplaying fleet directly. I believe the 26th accepts new roleplayers.
  • shireknightshireknight Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Just read the blog but I'm still really none the wiser, so there is a secret base hidden in the game where you can dock and everyone in it acts like they are living in the Star Trek universe for real and you can find missions and stuff to do there as long as you play in character as well?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Just read the blog but I'm still really none the wiser, so there is a secret base hidden in the game where you can dock and everyone in it acts like they are living in the Star Trek universe for real and you can find missions and stuff to do there as long as you play in character as well?

Sort of. There's a fleet called the 26th Fleet that's started opening their starbase for the roleplay community. You can request docking clearance in their channel (SB381) and they'll send you an invite to the interior where you can roleplay with members of the fleet and community. It's a lot of fun and it's really exciting to see so much interest in roleplaying. You should give it a shot if you're interested.
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014

no not really, it just so happens someone has a Fleet base that they opened up to allow RPers in.
  • shireknightshireknight Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Sort of. There's a fleet called the 26th Fleet that's started opening their starbase for the roleplay community. You can request docking clearance in their channel (SB381) and they'll send you an invite to the interior where you can roleplay with members of the fleet and community. It's a lot of fun and it's really exciting to see so much interest in roleplaying. You should give it a shot if you're interested.

Just spent 10 mins reading their chat channel it looks very interesting I think I'll go spend some shore leave there tomorrow just to have a look around :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • warpedcorewarpedcore Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Just spent 10 mins reading their chat channel it looks very interesting I think I'll go spend some shore leave there tomorrow just to have a look around :)

We'd be happy to have you. :)

To the OP: I'm sorry you had a hard time today. We've been up to our eyeballs in invites. Quite frankly, it can get pretty hectic. I'd like to think that one of my members didn't intentionally ignore you. Please- feel free to come back anytime. If you have any questions, you should feel free to join our website / forums and ask any questions you like. We'd be happy to help get you acclimated to role play.
  • timothyre99timothyre99 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It was probably a community member. I was kinda being really annoying (it was almost 10PM and I had woken up at 3AM that morning) and I guess I just asked too many questions. He was nice, and told me that I was being a little annoying and If I needed help I should go to the forums. It wasn't rude, just stating the truth.
  • notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Dorzana is also a good play for role playing
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • startrek1234567startrek1234567 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    notapwefan wrote: »
    Dorzana is also a good play for role playing

I thought people liked to troll there a lot and that kinda ruined it for the RP there?
    On another note, last time I went to SB 381 I had a blast, granted it was a few months ago, I still had a lot of fun. When I use to go I just got involved in different conversations, I remember one time there was a person Role Playing as a Cardassian, and I got into a conversation where I and a group of people were talking with her about her homeworld Cardassia, of course while role playing.

I can understand with the recent blog that was just put out, their probably pretty busy getting people onto the starbase, so I can see it getting pretty crowded at that starbase.

But then again I have not gone there in months due to me playing other games and helping my fleet get to that tier 5 starbase, and of course real life.

But once you get use to RP, it is a lot of fun.
  • bjformellabjformella Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hi there! I am captain Kioke Mio of the U.S.S. Catalyst [NCC-93770]. I've been assigned to the 26th fleet for a year now and have had some wonderful experiences there. If there are any up and coming officers looking to request reassignment to our sector, or are just curious about how we operate in general, I strongly encourage you to reach out to me. (@mioha in game) Pending any limitations of my current assignment I would be happy to answer your questions, barring any classified information of course. I look forward to hearing from you and providing any help I can!

(Feel free to contact me out of character if you wish.)
  • cmdrseleyacmdrseleya Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I thought people liked to troll there a lot and that kinda ruined it for the RP there?
    On another note, last time I went to SB 381 I had a blast, granted it was a few months ago, I still had a lot of fun. When I use to go I just got involved in different conversations, I remember one time there was a person Role Playing as a Cardassian, and I got into a conversation where I and a group of people were talking with her about her homeworld Cardassia, of course while role playing.

I can understand with the recent blog that was just put out, their probably pretty busy getting people onto the starbase, so I can see it getting pretty crowded at that starbase.

But then again I have not gone there in months due to me playing other games and helping my fleet get to that tier 5 starbase, and of course real life.

But once you get use to RP, it is a lot of fun.

Drozana is indeed a place to run into trolls. I won't name names but every RPer knows which group trolls RP. That said, Drozana is not a good place for RP regardless, which is a shame because it's kind of a neat place. If you want public RP, there are places but I won't name them here for fear of giving notice to people who enjoy ruining RP.

Anyway, I play Kenzi Alenis, CO of Starbase 381. I want to tell the OP that I'm sorry he didn't have as good of a time as he'd hoped but it sounds like he is learning. We all had to start somewhere.

To StarTrek1234567, we all take breaks. I myself was gone for around 6 months from STO. Feel free to drop by if you'd like and see what is going on. The starbase was quite busy last night and I saw our fleet members mingling with lots of guests as well as guests forming into their own little groups and having lively conversations about things like the Voth and what their plans are. It was a lot of fun!
  • jeremydajaojeremydajao Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't know if this is the right place for this, feel free to move if necessary.

Well, today I read the guest blog on Starbase 381, so I decided to try RP for the first time. I was doing pretty well, until the accidents started happening. First, I accidentally tried to mess with a personal character background for one person, then I told someone I would go "inspect the tactical systems with them, and completely forgot to do so, and finally, I completely annoyed one of the station members by asking him questions about RP'ing which, now that I look back at them, we're probably best to be saved for the forums. Well, at least tomorrow is a new day, and will bring new, hopefully better, RP experiences for me.

Hi there. Find me at @jeremydajao in game :D. I'm a senior member of the 26th fleet and have ushered in many "greenhorn" RPers. I would more than delighted to be able to help you along the path of becoming a senior RPer. I myself started off barely a year ago but through and with the fleet I grew to understand the dynamics and structure of a Roleplay, its especially fun in STO :D I'm sorry you had a bad experience with someone and would like to get with you to talk about it so we can make sure incidents like this don't happen again.
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    +1 from me :D
    I started playing sto and attempting to RP a year or so ago. I was quickly discouraged by trolls and other neigh-sayers.
    I have not visited this starbase yet and not conversed with any of the members of this fleet (as these days I'm mostly managing my own fleets) but I think this is a SUPERB facility offered and your members seem fantastically friendly and helpful on the whole. You should be proud of what you are doing here.
    A thousand kudos from me and I myself may even consider a visit to your station.
    A suggestion if I may? Maybe in this thread or another some sort of rudamentory guide could perhaps be posted to help those new to MMORP? Just to get some feel of how to start off with RP and to ovoid possible teething problems.
    If this is already out there somewhere I retract my statement obviously, I may have missed it ;)
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
    edited March 2014
    Thank you all for your posts and suggestions. I just want to make a few things clear. First, I wasn't discouraged from Roleplaying because of the experiences (they were mainly brought on by me). Second, Although I appreciate it, I do not need anyone's help making sure the bad experiences don't get repeat, for, as I just stated, They were mainly my fault, and I wasn't discouraged at all by them. In fact, I was more encouraged to learn the basics of RP so these experiences don't happen again. I went back to the station today, and I had a lot of fun, without any of these experiences.
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I would still like some RP pointers :) I think it would be handy for others too.
    I'd like to have some downtime and RP from time to time but would like some tips to start off.
    I would happily relay this information to those in my fleets I know would love to RP but don't know how to confidently begin.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
    edited March 2014
    Two more days on SB381 and my experience has improved a lot. I managed to create a mini story arc where my character gets "attacked" through a computer chip in his glass. As for tops as a beginner myself. I say just go with it, try not to do anything that doesn't make sense in the context of the story and have fun. Play it out as normal life, like shore leave or something, then work on throwing in some spice with attacks or sickness. Just always make sure you know how your conflict will be resolved so it doesn't get too out of hand.
  • llywarchllywarch Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm super glad things are going better for you mate.
    edited March 2014
    Hey Llywarch, I remember you. I had a nice conversation with you on the starbase. It is a really fun spot to RP And have something fun and relaxing to do after I do the daily grind.