test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A B'rel question

shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
edited May 2014 in Klingon Discussion
Qapla' fellow warriors,

with the incomming buff to the Raider Class I'm thinking of starting a new KDF char. that will fly the BoPs exclusively. I already have the B'rel and messed around with it a lot, but what I'm looking into now is making a Captain specially built and invested for maximizing BoP usage. I will be using the B'rel Bird of Prey as I already own it and it's such an iconic ship that I really love. I'm intending to use this ship/char in PvE and PvP both without switching(call me crazy, but I usually want to stick with a ship).

So I wondered what would some of you recomend in terms of profession for this character? I'm having divided thoughts between going tactical or science.
Not new to the game and I know that the differences are quite small and in fact can be traced to the 5 career specific abilities, but still I wanted to see what some of you that use the BoPs more would recommend? I know the differences between those 5 career specific abilities, but I wanted to know which of those people that use raiders would consider to be more beneficial?
HQroeLu.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Wellll, as ever: depends on what you want to do.

I got a tac in a B'rel that gets kills (vape, dogfighting and PvE) no problem, but can be a bit squishy.

I got a sci in a B'rel that annoys players in PvP through GW and subnuke-alpha's and a sci in a fleet Norgh than has more than decent PvE effectiveness (GW->CSV strikes); both are sturdier than the tac through the 2 defensive sci captain abilities.

I got an eng in a B'rel that does a fine job trolling PvP, as it manages to tank pretty well (eng boff and captain abilities + speed/def tanking), while tossing EWP, GW and transphasic torp spam and serving as a cloaked healer, at times.

All do fine in PvP and PvE, all are fun to fly, but all are markedly different experiences. Of late, I've been favouring my sci's, as, in pvp, the subnuke seems to do more good than the tac buffs when getting solo kills. Then again, the flanking and decloak bonus buffs might buff my tac enough that he can actually punch through all these stacked defences again.

*shrug*

I will say this, though: the engineer option is more of a fun alternative on the side. It's fun, but a little limited in its possibilities.
  • catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited March 2014
    I picked up the tvaro warbird & got a Romulan tac to 50 so i could run a more "pure tac" cloaked torpedo boat... but i run my b'rel as a sci boat. The beauty of the b'rel is you can do both. The tvaro is way less capable in that regard. The tvaro is a tac bird that can do a bit of science.

I think the b'rel is the best darn science ship in the game, but it is a fine tac ship as well. I think i like my hegh'ta better in tac mode, but that's no indictment pf the b'rel.

One of these days, i will get a fleet norgh...
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    My advice would be a Tac captain with an engi-heavy BOFF layout. I have a B'rel and a T'varo setup like that, both are very strong on offense and are quite capable on defense.
    edited March 2014
    Heh, just read the first post. So not a complete n00b question ;)

I always prefer the subnuc and debuff game in the b'rel versus the attack game. I may as well go tvaro for tac, flank or no. When you throw in all the crit bonuses and whatnot for romulans, does flanking even matter?

Plus, the advantage of tac is... a couple more damage %? When i start stacking tac buffs, i honestly get a bit bored. And then APO makes my b'rel go way too fast for stuff that can decloak me like the Dyson content. All of a sudden, all out engines means you outrun regular torpedos going on target... not so fun :-,

Sci b'rel is a more thinking klingon's sort of game, isnt it?
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
  • kolbrandrkolbrandr Member Posts: 266
    edited March 2014
    Heh, just read the first post. So not a complete n00b question ;)

I always prefer the subnuc and debuff game in the b'rel versus the attack game. I may as well go tvaro for tac, flank or no. When you throw in all the crit bonuses and whatnot for romulans, does flanking even matter?

Plus, the advantage of tac is... a couple more damage %? When i start stacking tac buffs, i honestly get a bit bored. And then APO makes my b'rel go way too fast for stuff that can decloak me like the Dyson content. All of a sudden, all out engines means you outrun regular torpedos going on target... not so fun :-,

Sci b'rel is a more thinking klingon's sort of game, isnt it?

With APO I have to pull back to 1/2 or even 1/4 impulse or I will overshoot my target sometimes!
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I tried all 3 skills in a b'rel tac and sci did ok but I left my engineer in one. and does real well .

commander sci
    lt commander engineer
    2 lt tac

borg deflector and engine looted purple mk 12 covariant shield

rainbow disruptor beams ( elachi,phased,polarized,nanite ) with 4 disruptor tac consoles

2 sci shield cap consoles

2 resist eng consoles and borg console.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Thanks for the replies so far.

I have to say, while I understand the added value to survavibility from an engineer char. in the B'rel, the engies are not really my thing in STO. I only have 2 of them and only the KDF one gets some playtime. Don't know why, I never did get into engies in this game. *shrugs*

So my main doubt is between the tactical and science careers. Have to say, I considered some of the things you guys mentioned even before I posted this thread. For example, I know that as a sci. the subnuc would be usefull, but I'm having my doubts about that now since now everyone and their mother runs science team after the 'team' cooldown changes.

I have a Tac.Romulan in a T'Varo and she does quite well in that ship. I might be leaning towards tactical cause I'd probably mostly want to go for the kill. :cool: With a BoP, I can go heavy on the science abilities if I want to even with a tactical char.
    What I'm wondering is, can anyone say from experience how usefull are the player specific defensive science skills besides the subnuc? Can they be a life saver that I'd really lack with a tactical char. or not necessarily?
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited March 2014
    I can go from full hull to explosion/respawning in one hit in elite STFs, even with defensive consoles. It would be nice in theory to time skills to match the THY3 from the tac cube... but by the time i see my name up on the Tac cube's target list, it is often too late to spam defense. At least that is how it is for me. Plus, graphics lag on torpedo strikes is just a killer.

Science fleet? Maybe if i am decloaked... but i am mostly dead at that point.

Scattering field? It's not energy damage that one-shots me. Hardly ever use this.

The one i use most is sensor scan, which helps raise damage output... but Tacs have similar debuffs.

Hmmm.

Well, good thing i have a joined trill KDF Tac at lvl 50 :-,

My main use of subnuc is to turn off the target's offensive skill or ability, like FAW. That is my defense.
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    edited March 2014
    Well, the scattering field and sci fleet give a pretty hefty shield resistance boost (25-30%?). I stagger them, it's quite noticeable when stacked with EPtS. And your team mates benefit too. Sensor Scan is pretty useful versus cloakers, too.

Also, yes subnuke can be cleared, but that's not necessarily a problem: in a bop you mostly use it to wipe away all active defensive (and offensive) buffs, including the Elite Fleet Shield stacks, leaving them naked as the day they were launched and wide open for your alpha strike. In the time they need to clear the subnuke and reload all those buffs, you'll be either done killing them or getting out of there - you shouldn't be hanging around anyway, as your hull is made of paper.

Not saying tacs are useless, far from it, but being able to wipe that doffed RSP/Aux2Damp/EPtS/APO combo can sometimes get you an easier kill than any amount of raw damage buffs can.
    edited March 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    I have a Tac.Romulan in a T'Varo and she does quite well in that ship. I might be leaning towards tactical cause I'd probably mostly want to go for the kill. :cool: With a BoP, I can go heavy on the science abilities if I want to even with a tactical char.

Why not use the T'varo if you want to go Tac? You arent gimped unless you want a heavy sci build, you get all the Romulan crits. Flanking sounds fun in theory, but better than Romulan Op?

I am going to try the T4 BoP on my Romulan when flanking is available... but would i do another Tac just to flank? I already have one, so i cant answer.
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    edited March 2014
    Why not use the T'varo if you want to go Tac? You arent gimped unless you want a heavy sci build, you get all the Romulan crits. Flanking sounds fun in theory, but better than Romulan Op?

Because I want to make a Klingon char. :)
    Can't use the T'Varo even if I wanted to, which I don't because I like to use faction specific ships. Besides, the whole point of making a new char for me was to make one specialized in KDF Raiders, the B'rel to be exact. Always had a lot of fun in them, but never dedicated myslef much, I was taken by my first ship love - the cruisers/battlecruisers. :P
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, the high end Aux will mean more for Sci power... but that is just BOFF seating.

It comes down to subnuc or a big alpha strike, i guess. I like having the utility of subnuc. And it is funny to have a little sci boat that can throw a big spike.
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited March 2014

I am going to try the T4 BoP on my Romulan when flanking is available... but would i do another Tac just to flank? I already have one, so i cant answer.

I can not speak for the OP but some people just like Klingons. I am at 11 toons 10 are Klingons and I don't mean kdf I mean Klingons

1 fed Klingon engineer ( I hate him but hes old )
    1 republic reman ( 1 tac and I don't care much for this one either if I need a slot he will go )
    9 kdf Klingons ( 1 engineer , 1 science, 7 tacs )
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

edited March 2014
    icsairguns wrote: »
    I can not speak for the OP but some people just like Klingons. I am at 11 toons 10 are Klingons and I don't mean kdf I mean Klingons

lol :D Yeah, I wanted to make a Bird of Prey character that is a Klignon. :) That has been the basic idea behind this.

Anyway, there are some good inputs here guys, thanks. I'm still torn though, maybe I'll need to throw dice on this one. :P

Ok, the easy PvE asside, let's say I go to Ker'rat with the B'rel - which one would snatch me an easier/quicker kill, a tac. with fully buffed alpha opening or a sci.that would debuff the target and unleash the alpha strike? I know it's probably a stupid question, but it has been a while since I've done some serious PvP (I boycotted it due to the way Cryptic handles it), but after doing all these grinds it got a bit boring, so I'm looking to jump back and add some PvP flavor to my game, how ever broken it might currently be.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited March 2014
    I don't know about Kerrat, but atm it's my sci in the Arena/Cap'n'Splode pugs, for me.

When people are cycling their mad defensive skills it's tricky to burst damage trough that. However, if you're going to be using the console set/console ability/proton barrage kind of stuff tac'll do better, I'm sure.

I just don't run any of that stuff because I think it's cheap and unbalanced and I prefer to fly a clean build, even if nobody else in that match is - my personal hangup is no doubt nerfing me there.
    edited March 2014
    Others seem to say subnuc is the more critical thing in PVP. Probably even moreso with shields dominating kinetics right now.

I hate having to go transphasic...
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
  • rasalghul2rasalghul2 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    lol :D Yeah, I wanted to make a Bird of Prey character that is a Klignon. :) That has been the basic idea behind this.

Anyway, there are some good inputs here guys, thanks. I'm still torn though, maybe I'll need to throw dice on this one. :P

Ok, the easy PvE asside, let's say I go to Ker'rat with the B'rel - which one would snatch me an easier/quicker kill, a tac. with fully buffed alpha opening or a sci.that would debuff the target and unleash the alpha strike? I know it's probably a stupid question, but it has been a while since I've done some serious PvP (I boycotted it due to the way Cryptic handles it), but after doing all these grinds it got a bit boring, so I'm looking to jump back and add some PvP flavor to my game, how ever broken it might currently be.

1st sry for mi english

Hi bro i dont PVP or kerrat but in pve i have a lot of fun in mi klingon/scie BOP BUT only when i buy the heavy reputation torpedos , Rom hyper and dyson gravimetic photon is a MUST HAVE, add the transfasic cluster a grav well 1 mine maybe , before of that i was using standart mk 12 purple plasma + trico torp and 1 trico mine , not so efective but work, im dont get a one shoot kill but in some times i get one pass kill (start attack and unload all yuor fury and torp+powers then run like hell)

for survive i can recomend 1 hazard emiter and 1 reverse shield polarity + emg power to engines. most of the time this is what save mi litle bop , i dont use polarise since i have jam sensor (this kill the tractor beam)

also have scramble sensor for attack groups of npc and buy the time to unload all mi atacks.

also can recomend avoid auto fire since yuo most choose when and with what buff launch yuor torpedos and powers

im not the most dangerous BOP out there but have a decent dmg for any stf , LOL im out perform mi galaxy with full rep gear easily .xD

hope this info help also have a tac lvl 50 but dont have the full gear so cant really give advice on this (planing use transfasic on that one but mi scie take all mi time for now)

feel free to contact me in game if want any other advice
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I would say it is great for Tacs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • robyvisionrobyvision Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Fleet HoH'SuS is the best 4 tac consoles + battlecloak .
    edited March 2014
    robyvision wrote: »
    Fleet HoH'SuS is the best 4 tac consoles + battlecloak .

Yes, but EBC is so nice (when they arent gimping you through forced decloaks, like the mirror thing).

The B'rel also is good for Sci since a torpedo setup typically is high Aux
    Sure, you could run a Hoh'sus as a torpedo ship, but i would be more likely to do the AP cannon thing... or run Sci in the Norgh.

And the transphasics are growing on me. I slotted the gravimetric instead of another RR transphasic for DOFF triggers. And i think i crit shotted the tac cube yesterday with the breen cluster. One moment, it was still going, then POP!
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    edited April 2014
    Well, thanks everyone for the replies and your insight, I apreciate it. :)

After a long time of thinking it through, I decided and already started leveling my new Klingon tactical officer. Going tac. just felt somehow right to me, for a Klingon in a BoP and I wanted to go with the bald Chang-type look on my char, so it fits perfectly. :D

So expect me to start bothering you with BoP builds and BoP advice soon enough, as I'm not very versed in raiders having never played BoPs more seriously before as I'm intending to do now. :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    My BOP driver is actually engineer. Its not much, as you said, but the defensive skills help keep the somewhat delicate ship alive. Still, if you plan to really exploit cloaking and flanking, tac is the obvious choice.

It really comes down to what you want. I wanted the toughest BOP flying.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well, thanks everyone for the replies and your insight, I apreciate it. :)

After a long time of thinking it through, I decided and already started leveling my new Klingon tactical officer. Going tac. just felt somehow right to me, for a Klingon in a BoP and I wanted to go with the bald Chang-type look on my char, so it fits perfectly. :D

So expect me to start bothering you with BoP builds and BoP advice soon enough, as I'm not very versed in raiders having never played BoPs more seriously before as I'm intending to do now. :D

Just got my B'Rel refit. Planning on making it a Torp/mine layer. I am curious to see how it works out.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Just got my B'Rel refit. Planning on making it a Torp/mine layer. I am curious to see how it works out.

How mine focused are you wanting to go?
    I use a B'Rel which gets most of it's damage from mines.
    All transphasics.
    Fore: Cluster mine, Hargh 'Peng, Rapid reload, Rapid reload
    Aft: Cluster mine, Transphasic mine

My strategy is to come in cloaked, drop a mine, a cluster mine, and a torp or two, then turn about and get out of range, as well as cloak. Then I repeat it again, but the cluster mine should come from the aft section this time.

I use 3 technicians and 2 PWO (mine recharge reduction)

TT1, TS2, APO1, DPB3
    ST1 (heal others), HE2, GW1
    EPTE1, A2B1
    ET1, A2B1

With EPTE and APO1, with lots of engine power to begin with, it zips in and out alot. Speed is life.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ryakidrys wrote: »
    How mine focused are you wanting to go?
    I use a B'Rel which gets most of it's damage from mines.
    All transphasics.
    Fore: Cluster mine, Hargh 'Peng, Rapid reload, Rapid reload
    Aft: Cluster mine, Transphasic mine

My strategy is to come in cloaked, drop a mine, a cluster mine, and a torp or two, then turn about and get out of range, as well as cloak. Then I repeat it again, but the cluster mine should come from the aft section this time.

I use 3 technicians and 2 PWO (mine recharge reduction)

TT1, TS2, APO1, DPB3
    ST1 (heal others), HE2, GW1
    EPTE1, A2B1
    ET1, A2B1

With EPTE and APO1, with lots of engine power to begin with, it zips in and out alot. Speed is life.

Actually that setup was about how I was planning to roll on the B'rel. But on the tail since I got that free raptor a while back I was going to put the bio warhead instead of the cluster.

But thanks for the setup idea. Can sit there and just drop mines and shoot torps to my little heart's content and never decloak.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    edited April 2014
    Mines actually do make the enemy shoot at you. I tried it with my T'varo (DPB3 transphasic), and went back out to about 7km just to see what happens. When the mines went active, the Voth shot at me! I didnt fire a thing besides the mines.

For my B'rel, i went back to a transphasic/crit build with Sci (i run DPB1 since i run GW3). GW plus TS3 gravimetric torpedo is great. Mines work great with the Hot Pursuit trait (bought on Exchange), but range can be tricky since your hull is made of tissue paper.

I picked Sci because i wanted to heal on the Ground & didnt have a clue about the space side.
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Sci captain, use it as a sci ship that fires torps and sci abilities from cloak. If you want a decloaking alpha bird of prey use a tac captain, but if you do that its better to use the Fleet Hohsus.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
    edited April 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Can sit there and just drop mines and shoot torps to my little heart's content and never decloak.

In a B'Rel, you can never stay put for anything very long. If I'm not cloaking within 2 seconds of firing the first torpedo or dropping mines, I've been exposed WAAYYYYY too long and am about to die for my arrogance. Even when running a STF with a scimitar doing 20k+ DPS, my mines will steal aggro and I'm gonna get a torpedo or something coming my way if I don't get out of the area in a big time hurry or cloak before being fired upon.
    edited April 2014
    FYI, here is the STO Academy link to my build......

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=brelmineboattrans_0