test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Video] - New Earth Spacedock Interior Preview!

Comments

• sjameshsjamesh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    That actually looks pretty epic! I can't wait until it's released. Does anyone know when it goes live?
    Say NO to ARC!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bladewolf5bladewolf5 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    love it... love it:P
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    sjamesh wrote: »
    That actually looks pretty epic! I can't wait until it's released. Does anyone know when it goes live?

I'd guess with season 9
    timelord79 wrote: »
    There can be different uniforms, but make them thematically linked and relevant to the areas they are found in.

A Uniform, should be the Odyssey one for most if the officers.

B (enlisted personnel) for some lowely redshirts walking around.

Flight suits for shuttle pilots found in the shuttle bay area and later Club 47?

Some cadet uniforms thrown into the mix can't hurt, but not too much to not take away something thematically from SFA.

And, of course, a few civilian outfits in the recreational areas.

And maybe a shady S31 guy lurking in Quinn's office smoking a cig... Er, I mean looking mysterious. ;)

I'd personally suggest that may be, of they are already on it anyway, they should make a new 25th century uniform that actually LOOKS GOOD.
    I mean they are not untalented, the new Romulan Republic "generic" uniform is IMO amazing (making my romulan chars the only ones actually wearing their factions current uniform^^)
    It would be a good thing to apply some effort to the generic uniforms of the Federation and the Klingons to make them look good, intend of those cheap looking TRIBBLE they have now. Those should apply to the security teams, random officers in interiors ect ect ect then.
    Because right now there is NO 25th century uniform on both factions that I would consider even remotely wearable.

And I mean: 2 new uniforms... can't be so much work IMO.

Well that was part of the joke ... but I'm not sure if the point of Starfleet is having giant Opera Houses with 50 foot Waterfalls, Trees and stuff, as base of Operation :P
    walshicus wrote: »
    Why not? They have schools and gardens on their starships. The Federation is post scarcity and places aesthetics in high regard.

Well even in reality the military home HEADQUARTERS are pretty shiny. They are kind of for representation. It makes absolute sense to have the main Starbases entrance look luxury.
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    it looks rushed and half complete and honestly im not impressed.

The entire point of Tribble is for TESTING. They released it so we could report some of the issues you've mentioned.
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I'd wish they would revamp the NPC uniforms a well. Oddy uniforms for ESD personnel would be appropriate in my opinion.

Taco said the team that covers that is going to try to make the uniforms consistent.
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    indeed, which is why it should not be on tribble.

Some thing that needs testing.... should not be....

on the "Test Server" :confused:
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    for the moment before a better release of the ESD comes along, to me it looks rushed and half complete and honestly im not impressed.

- bank console in the middle of no where and floating above the map ground
    - it shows an interactive ventilation system in the exchange
    ; two red lego men, im assuming will replaced with proper actors
    - the windowed room overlooking esd is of poor quality yet somehow the sol star is in good clarity.
    ; the 300 day console is out of the way and on it's own which isnt that special however most people would likely ask where the console is before long it should be placed somewhere else or at least a header above the console to help so people will know exactly what is where
    ; elsa mora and the bridge officer trainer look like they are in a queue without purpose
    ; rraak is talking to thin air
    ; one of the stations crew is somehow sitting on a chair through a solid floor in quinn's office
    - i feel as if there should be some extra direction screens created to give people a direction on what is where
    - various npcs are apparently interacting with thin air, makes you wonder if they are sane any longer.
    ; npcs near the med bay, there is one with a gun who specifically looks like hes leaning against an invisible wall.
    - med bay looks like an afterthought, it is so small compared to the main lobby which is about 90% empty space.
    - the room which npcs yaris and dj zuza occupy, the backwall between levels has an arch for a doorway and no door, again assuming thats for an expansion into a new club 47 at some point.

currently the new upgraded station is already in need of some upgrades already, this is first impressions. my opinion is that it should go back into internal development and test for a few more weeks, bring it out when it is ready.

Again, you are on TRIBBLE. This is a work in progress, not finished work. There is much left to do.

Doesn't mean the whole starbase is like that.

But this is basically the Front Entrance Hall.
    The area itself is a big Welcome to ESD/Earth/Federation/Home sign. It is designed to make an impression and is supposed to be relaxing and not feel like a tin can in space.

Very much This.
    To my mind, there are thousands of people who serve for long stretches on ESD. While Earth is quite nearby, it's not feasible that people beam to earth for their lunch breaks and such. I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect that, while much of the station may be tight hallways, offices, etc. There would be plenty of more open, non-claustrophobic areas, plantings, etc. To give the people on the station a break from the monotony of hallways.

This area is ESD's Operational area. That means it is where dignitaries, ambassadors, etc. all come and spend time while doing their work on the station. The station would provide some comforts for those people, and would make a more pleasing area for them to spend time in. In addition, they would showcase some of the flora from Earth below. This is an Earth station afterall.

You may feel that things are bigger, and it was built with the intent to feel that way, but the run times between certain points should be shorter than they were before.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • sophus84atsophus84at Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    for the moment before a better release of the ESD comes along, to me it looks rushed and half complete and honestly im not impressed.

- the windowed room overlooking esd is of poor quality yet somehow the sol star is in good clarity.
    ; the 300 day console is out of the way and on it's own which isnt that special however most people would likely ask where the console is before long it should be placed somewhere else or at least a header above the console to help so people will know exactly what is where
    ; elsa mora and the bridge officer trainer look like they are in a queue without purpose
    ; one of the stations crew is somehow sitting on a chair through a solid floor in quinn's office
    - i feel as if there should be some extra direction screens created to give people a direction on what is where
    - various npcs are apparently interacting with thin air, makes you wonder if they are sane any longer.
    ; npcs near the med bay, there is one with a gun who specifically looks like hes leaning against an invisible wall.
    - med bay looks like an afterthought, it is so small compared to the main lobby which is about 90% empty space.
    - the room which npcs yaris and dj zuza occupy, the backwall between levels has an arch for a doorway and no door, again assuming thats for an expansion into a new club 47 at some point.

currently the new upgraded station is already in need of some upgrades already, this is first impressions. my opinion is that it should go back into internal development and test for a few more weeks, bring it out when it is ready.

wtf?? O_o

you DO realize that it is on a test server for a reason. its a beta test. hence why its on tribble.... and not on holodeck.. sure various NPCs are talking to thin air as their consoles are not added yet... sure the old exchange hangs above the new one as it isnt coded yet that you can interact with the new consoles there.
    they released it on tribble so we can see what it will look like in the future alongside with the new bridge option in the new tutorial it now has a certain feel to it.

the sense behind the whole thing is not running around in circles anymore and more to get the feeling to be in a giant space station.. old ESD was from the outside atleast 2km and in the inside.... well 200m. now with being only in a friction of the saucer of ESD it has more the feel to be inside a station and not inside a little space bubble that hovers under ESD.

it is not finished, so mostly all of your concerns or points are.. obsolete.. i mean thank god you didnt say,
    "hey these red block people look off the place, maybe give them some uniforms" oh wait you did mention the lego man... REALLY!?!?!? again you do realize this is a beta test server right???? speak after me.. TEST SERVER!!!!!! so there are a lot of so called placeholders. and unfinished works. as the whole thing is a work in process. they said a couple times that they work on it.. and not that what it looks like when they are finished. they wanted to be the good guy cryptic for once in a while and show the people before the release what something will be like, and then you complain about lego men??? its not even constructive critics you are offering its just ******** about the obvious...

i hereby demand the special forum title for mirrorchaos called "Captain obvious."

for my point

Great video Doctor, and great work Cryptic for the ESD revamp. i love it. keep up the good work. when all is added i for my part will be glad. it really look better now and shows what you are capable of, i love the interactive holo consoles.

but i guess there will be the usual "everything that cryptic does is TRIBBLE ****storm" afterwards...
    "Mei Borg is net deppat".....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So let me guess ... -- the only thing that I remember ppl asking for (the ability to fly through the "space gates" and dock their ships ) , this ability is nowhere to be found on the new ESD ... .

I'm willing to take fictional bets ! :D
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    So let me guess ... -- the only thing that I remember ppl asking for (the ability to fly through the "space gates" and dock their ships ) , this ability is nowhere to be found on the new ESD ... .

I'm willing to take fictional bets ! :D

Naturally, since they redid the interior, NOT the exterior of which flying through the space doors would be part of.

I could conceive of (somehow) the big most prominent ship in the inner hangar being displayed as your ships, though and or maybe at some point they could add a docking cut scene that gets triggered if you approach the station's doors.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Hey Harvey , I don't think you understand the concept of a Test server, and the concept of Work in progress.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Naturally, since they redid the interior, NOT the exterior of which flying through the space doors would be part of.

I could conceive of (somehow) the big most prominent ship in the inner hangar being displayed as your ships, though and or maybe at some point they could add a docking cut scene that gets triggered if you approach the station's doors.

People have suggested this before, but they've stated it isn't possible with the engine tech.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    The problems with showing your ship out there are several.

1) It's technically a character. The ships on view are all geometry that I can place. A critter has some other things that need to be done for it.

2) It's at space scale. I don't know that we can blow your ship up 20x as easily as that. You guys have seen the bug where you spawn into a ground map as your ship. If we placed your ship's costume in a ground map, it would be that size.

3) I would love to be able to show your ship in the docking bay *somewhere*, but it would likely not be front and center. We have used that space for a long time, to show of the new hotness. Whatever new sexy Fed ship is most recent, we show it prominently in the shipyard. I don't forsee that changing.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    The problems with showing your ship out there are several.

1) It's technically a character. The ships on view are all geometry that I can place. A critter has some other things that need to be done for it.

Why can't the "costume" be loaded to an NPC object? I mean that works fine with the shard of possibilities on ground.

Still the NPC uniforms are a bigger issue IMO^^
  • laheuganlaheugan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Why can't the "costume" be loaded to an NPC object? I mean that works fine with the shard of possibilities on ground.

I concur. Loading up the NPCs in a standard and slick uniform would improve this already impressive ESD 2.0 :P
    "Seleste" - http://www.reddit.com/r/sto Fleet Officer
    Reddit Alert, Reddit Star Empire, House of Snoo, House of the Rising Snoo
    Good Builds: http://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Because some ships are waaaaaaaaay too big to fit in ESD? While stickign them on a costume objecti n the background might work. The Odyssey-class and the Jem Hadar Dreadnought would no doubt cause clipping issues. (the Oddy should never have been put in the current ESD as its half the length of ESD and the JHD is too wide to fit in the hangar).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Love the new direction ESD is taking. I hope to see other Federation Starbases updated the same way, like K7 and Sierra. DS9 too, make it look a little more canon. Captain's Table too, but since that is not visited at all by anyone I doubt the devs would take time to redo it and that's perfectly understandable.

A bigger exterior model of ESD would be awesome too, though it sounds like scaling up the current model would present graphical issues so a whole new model would have to be made if ESD was to be made bigger.
    y1arXbh.png

• iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »

3) I would love to be able to show your ship in the docking bay *somewhere*, but it would likely not be front and center. We have used that space for a long time, to show of the new hotness. Whatever new sexy Fed ship is most recent, we show it prominently in the shipyard. I don't forsee that changing.

Solution: Release fed ships bigger than the interior of the docking bay. :D
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    "Citadel Space Dock" :P ... "Where is Shepard ?" ...

"My name is Commander Shepard, and I approve of this space station!"
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • jlebeckjlebeck Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ESD looks fantastic, I can't understand how some people could not appreciate the effort that has gone into the little details like the displays which come on as you approach them. As the main social zone in the game it's right that it should be a visual spectacle.
    The Continuing Voyages of Bridge Commander
    Captain Lee Drake - USS Sovereign
    Captain Draxon - IKS RanKuf
    Commander Torenn - IRW Soryak
    Captain Gregory MacCray - USS Geronimo
  • direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Because the NPC objects are not at the same scale as the environment objects you see outside the window. They would look too far too small. If you've ever seen the old bug where you beam into a ground map wearing your ship costume, you'd know what I'm talking about: the ship costume on an NPC object would look like a toy that children ride around on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The work so far on ESD is nothing short of fantastic. I love the strong primary colours.

Shooting things can go. But removing all climbing would be a horrible shame. Personally I find invisible walls do more to brake immersion then seeing people walk around on the ceiling, but that's just me.

My fleet leader has spent many hours testing every surface he has ever encountered in the game to find place he can get to or climb upon which are not intended. While this may not be how we are intended to enjoy the game, some people genuinely derive a lot of fun from this.

So leave us a few misaligned hitboxes, or cunningly disguised surface objects upon which to climb please. It realy dose no harm, but some people do so enjoy it.
    I concur, I don't see the harm in it, and it's FUN! :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited March 2014
    Hey Doc, You have a private message awaiting on your in box via the STO forums...

:)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have made a video exploring and showing the new Interior at Earth Spacedock on Tribble

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHg-MqxoGGQ&list=UUn4zU6WXABPUvmUOpluwbTw&feature=share

Enjoy :)
    BTW, the Voth guy has been there since the testing for season 8 started.

Oh and you missed the second most important thing they added. :P

Go back to tribble, open the PvE queue, then scroll all the way down... :D

What is it? I''l give youa hint, it involves tentacles and weird green goop. (BTW, you should avoid the goop....)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Great update to ESD, ugly update to the Options Menu.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    New ESD is slick. Not as gorgeous as the Flotilla, but definitely a step up from the old one.

Some areas are maybe a little too barren, though. And I'm not sure I like the tailor, ship-seller, etc, all just standing there on the floor. They need their own desk or corner or something. And turbolifts down need to go altogether: bringing you to the old stuff just breaks immersion.

The place where I presume the exchange was going to be was still inoperable.

Oh, and for some bizarre reason, I couldn't (right-click) change uniforms in there.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    And turbolifts down need to go altogether: bringing you to the old stuff just breaks immersion.

That floor will never go away because it's hooked up to foundry missions. That's the UGC floor, always has been, always will be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Looking good so far.

But I'm withholding making a judgement, or getting excited, until we see the finished product.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kolbrandr wrote: »
    This must be the project that the graphics guys were working on that the dev said (paraphrased) he was sure everyone will love.

Everyone except for those of us who play KDF. Don't get me wrong, I "love" the new ESD that you guys got, but it is basically the last thing on my radar of what the game probably needs.

The war is supposed to be ending soon. I could see the end of the war being handled as a rep with Featured Episodes and, once you complete it, you get access to the other faction's hub.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The war is supposed to be ending soon. I could see the end of the war being handled as a rep with Featured Episodes and, once you complete it, you get access to the other faction's hub.

That actually would be cool.

Would be nice for KDF characters to have a convenient stop off to conduct their business, when in the Sector.

And First City is more my main's idea of a vacation spot than Risa. :D
  • zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I just want to give Kudos to the team working on this ESD revamp. So far it's freaking gorgeous. But I'm curious, what's going to happen to the current ESD interior? Replace K7 maybe? Or become the interior for a new location?

Merge that idea with the often suggested separate level 1-49 and level 50 zones. Characters who haven't completed the rep and story line can only access the pre-rep, faction specific Sol/Quo'noS Zones. Players that have are given the option to enter either the cross-faction or faction specific versions, so the players who don't want to see cross-faction characters in their central hub don't have to.