Install Arc
Options

Season 8 Dev Blog #56: Mirror Invasion Event

Comments

• Options
    damix4damix4 Member Posts: 608 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This will be fun :)

I like the fact that we don't have to do 2 week CE all the time. Now we will have this event too.

About shortage of xp, I think there is enough xp points in this game without mirror event, especially with xp bonus weekend.
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This'll get me to play something I've never played before, and get me enough practice to play it well... Hit a few basics the first day, and then Elites the rest of the days...

:)
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    IRONCLAD (from Champions Online)! How did you get into space and commander a space station?

Some things need to be explained!

ROFL :D
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I give this two thumbs up!

ETA: The only thing I disapprove of? The Dil rewards are 480 in Elite instead of 960. But, eh, I'll live. Not like I don't have a Targ-dung load of them already.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    BUG:

If the Mirror Flagship goes into a rift at the same time that the last one closes, THE ENTIRE MISSION BUGS OUT as the Mirror Flagship doesn't just make a new rift and pop back into space.

I'm sitting in a dead incompletable instance right now.
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    somebob wrote: »
    BUG:

If the Mirror Flagship goes into a rift at the same time that the last one closes, THE ENTIRE MISSION BUGS OUT as the Mirror Flagship doesn't just make a new rift and pop back into space.

I'm sitting in a dead incompletable instance right now.

"Sir, we trapped the Stahti back in the Mirror Universe! What do we do now?"

"...wow, I never thought of that. Um... ah..."
  • Options
    edited March 2014

ROFL

But that's EXACTLY how the mission plays out if you do that.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I give this two thumbs up!

ETA: The only thing I disapprove of? The Dil rewards are 480 in Elite instead of 960. But, eh, I'll live. Not like I don't have a Targ-dung load of them already.

Agreed if it's elite it should give 960. I've gotten both with Crystalline Entity Elite which confuses the heck out of me.

The weird thing is that should count as a mission complete.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Another bug is that the dread won't die while a portal is open.... at all.... ever. It'll sit there at 0 HP while people pound the ---- out of it until the last portal is closed.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Not to mention the new weekend events.

I imagine a number of players have reduced how much they play during the week, preferring instead to focus on the weekends.

However, the hopefully unintended consequence of this, is that those players find other things to do instead of STO on a weekday.

Which means, in turn, that a reducing number of players come back for the weekends.

Every other week.

I'm the opposite, I am thinking of not playing on the weekends anymore. Why? Well since the introduction of this new weekend system the lag has been insane during the weekend events. Just playing PvE queues like Storming the Spire, Infected Space STF etc. At times it's so bad I am like 8 seconds behind the game then I jumo ahead and I'm almost on the other side or the map, or I just freeze. It's ain't my connection either as it only happens during the days the weekend events are live.

To be totally honest I think this weekend schedule event system over the long term will do the exact opposite of what Cryptic was aiming for. I believe their honest aim was to try and get a more even player log-in statics on both their weekdays and weekends, good nice round numbers to show PWE what such a good job they have been doing.

"Hey look more players on the weekend than ever before."

The reality is while many will log in for bonus marks and dilithium weekends, the amount of people playing at one time with the buggy engine and inefficient rendering system they have will increase lag for many players as the sever tries to manage with the increased load. This lag will drive more and more players to eventually give up on STO at least for the weekends and so all it will do is really swap the players around, weekend players will play more of weekdays (if they can, if they can't they may just jump ship to another MMO on the weekends) and weekday players will play on weekends instead for the events. So it really won't change a thing in the long-term just to annoy players as at least with the hourly events people could catch them at least once every 3 days depending on their times and life commitments.

However on topic, these 14/20 day grind feasts really make it more a commitment to get limited time rewards. At least the FE re-runs were for a whole month and were (in the past at least) reoccurring on a semi regular basis (every 3-6 months). Now I was gone for about 6 months after LoR launched (grind burnt me out) and came back in late January so I am not sure if they have rerun those yet, but I haven't seen any Romulans with Shards so I would guess they haven't, instead favouring their new system. Their new system unfortunately only favours those who have a lot of time to play STO and to be honest again falls back to their stats about getting as many players into the game so PWE can pat them on the back and say well done you go more players playing than you did last year or month or whatever.

It's really just a bad system and can't be sustainable in the long-term with any great measure of success.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well I for one don't want or need them to make this permanent. It's pretty boring honestly and not well thought out. It's all on timers instead of actions, so a TRIBBLE group basically takes along to finish as an elite one. It takes a minute to start and the only thing that can be sped up is closing the rifts after the dread comes through. The marks it pays for the time commitment are brutal as well.
  • Options
    kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    BTW has anyone found a countdown timer for this event? Does PW expect people to make there own timer spreadsheets at home now so that they can track their Alts timers?
  • Options
    plb1982plb1982 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Great... more "limited time" once-a-day all-or-nothing content.

These are starting to really suck the fun out of the game for me.
  • Options
    maoguinmaoguin Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Another bug is that the dread won't die while a portal is open.... at all.... ever. It'll sit there at 0 HP while people pound the ---- out of it until the last portal is closed.

able to kill it today with portals open after patch so no longer an issue.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    maoguin wrote: »
    able to kill it today with portals open after patch so no longer an issue.
    I figured they'd fix that.
    kozar2 wrote: »
    BTW has anyone found a countdown timer for this event? Does PW expect people to make there own timer spreadsheets at home now so that they can track their Alts timers?
    Bah, real men use Notepad. :P But seriously, that's exactly what I do. It's not hard.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Bah, real men use Notepad. :P But seriously, that's exactly what I do. It's not hard.

Yeah I'm doing the same for my runs. Though really, given that the game already keeps track of it on the system, they should have some sort of in game indication for it.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    solaris08solaris08 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The idea of this event its good, but what i don't like at all its how long its take to complete. With a good team enemy ships are killed the second they emerge ... then its just a boring boring boring ... mission, waiting forever for the next ships to arrive ...
    Please make some changes so if a team will close all rifts and upgrade defenses to max, the dread will emerge before the end of the count down. There are better ways to spend the remaining time in the game then just siting there counting 5 minutes left....4 minutes ....
    ---- Please reward the hard work and dedication of players that have invested in their builds and do things efficiently ----

This will make the event even more enjoyable, remove the feeling of yet another grind and most important give the team a reason to play as best they can.

Note: it would be interesting to see this event with a higher difficulty level ( with some changes), something as a even more complicated NWS. I am sure many will agree.
  • Options
    bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This is the worst grind of all of them, and not because it is hard or that all my own abilities interrupt the rift closing it simply takes too long.
    Bridger.png
  • Options
    drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Love the content.

Great mission.

Awesome rewards.

Please can you try and re-evaluate the limited time component to the events.

At least remove the cutoff date. Let me decide when I want to play.

I really don't enjoy grinding from one mission to the next. I was and am so burnt out from the Winter Event + Solanae and now this that after the first round on 8 toons (I know, its my fault if I have multiple toons) I just logged off.

I tried to enjoy myself, really and it was fun, but it's exhausting.

I used to love creating new toons to run through it all from scratch... but these days I don't get past the character creation screen when I think of all the effort involved. :(
  • Options
    silverfaustxsilverfaustx Member Posts: 262
    edited March 2014
    event needs a 20 hour timer, so ppl will know when to do this
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,392 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    While I like the event and the fact classes have an advantage (closing or activating faster), may I make a suggestion for the next "big reward" version of it?

Base the faster activation on either the career of the character or the ship class to be more consistent with the rest of the game where your career determines which optional objective you can complete.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    tarrennistarrennis Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yes, event needs a cooldown timer to keep track with alts. Also, the event should stay a after the 3 weeks & reward the player's choice of marks.
  • Options
    razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Just curious, when can we expect to start getting season 9 developer blogs? Also, when we start getting them, can we get some blogs that show how they redesigned the new ESD?

Thanks for these blogs by the way.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2014

That's not a bug , it's a feature .... ! :)

Seriously , it's meant to be played that way . Just close the darn portals , there are only about 4-5 of them .
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2014

I used to love creating new toons to run through it all from scratch... but these days I don't get past the character creation screen when I think of all the effort involved. :(

Here's hoping the Devs listen to you with the same grace you've listened to other players issues .
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    After playing a number of times now I think the main issue is the low rewards for elite compared to normal. I get 50 now for normal (the max I think) and between 45 and 60 usually for elite. I got 75 once but usually it's about 50 and it's exponentially more of a struggle.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Just a quick question,

We all know that once the main event mission is over any additional multidimensional transporter devices we have left over can be turned in on the additional mini mission. But can we queue these after the event has finished or have they all got to used/started before the event ends?
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    orluxorlux Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have been playing the Mirror Invasion Event and been waiting the 20 hrs between each one, but lately yesterday and today I have waited the 20hrs between both and I still haven't received the 2x of 14 Transporters. And on this page "season-8-dev-blog-_56" there is NO mention of you have to wait 20 hrs between each one. COME ON Perfect World or Cryptic just tell us everything stop leaving things out!!!! Q!#$@!#$!@#$

Please explain where the timer is so I can find out for sure how much time is left between each times I do the Mirror Invasion Event, I don't think that is asking to much.

Thanks!:mad::mad:
  • Options
    skyecolyoskyecolyo Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Aghh! There goes the fastest way to level alts. Damnit! Stop removing things, Cryptic!! My new 50's are already gimped without access to the quick mk12 weapons from the old Omega store. Now it takes months to get what used to take us minutes, and for no good reason other than to force us to replay the same content daily forever. Rgggh.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    While I like the event and the fact classes have an advantage (closing or activating faster), may I make a suggestion for the next "big reward" version of it?

Base the faster activation on either the career of the character or the ship class to be more consistent with the rest of the game where your career determines which optional objective you can complete.

In this instance it makes sense. This isn't a case of the skill of the captain closing the rifts, this is about the available equipment on the vessel.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"