test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Comic - Jane Kirk?

farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Ten Forward
Anyone got these 2 issues? I got them both and thought it was a good read. Really a neat way to do a story as well. I hope they would done more than 2 issues.
Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I thought it was a pretty lame concept, to be honest.

But then, I always take issue somewhat when alternate reality stories come up, where despite hundreds of years of history (if not more) being wildly different from the original, somehow through the magic of soul-mate-magnetism, throughout all of history all the same birds met all the same bees and hopped in the sack on all the same dates to have exactly all the same brave little explorers colonize exactly all the same little planets and randomly mutate into exactly all the same people as inhabit the original timeline, who all get the same names, but grow beards and wear a lot of sashes...

I suspended my disbelief once already. Now they're just pushing their luck.

It would've worked better, I think, if they'd framed it differently. Say, Q and lady-Q, hereafter referred to as the X, get a little more tied up in gender issues than omnipotent energybeings really have any business to. But there's nothing else to do, so the X grabs a few spare X-chromosomes from Pandora's box (that's where I'd keep them) and knocks loose a few strands of timeline to prove her point. Anything your Jim can do, my Jane can do better.

That way at least it's a little less far fetched. They could have had the two crews working separately in the same comics encountering the same situations and resolving them differently, with Q and the X arguing about who's mucking things up worse, and not everyone would have to have their genders reversed this way either, so I wouldn't be stuck wondering how the hell that whole evacuation scene on the Kelvin would've worked out with the pregnant party in the suicide seat...

As it stands, it's just another case of "step around the plotholes and you'll be fine", I guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    farmallm wrote: »
    Anyone got these 2 issues? I got them both and thought it was a good read. Really a neat way to do a story as well. I hope they would done more than 2 issues.

It was a fun story arc. I liked the concept. Thought the art was nice. And absolutely LOVED a certain cameo in the second issue (won't spoil it).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    hrisvalar wrote: »
    It would've worked better, I think, if they'd framed it differently. Say, Q and lady-Q, hereafter referred to as the X, get a little more tied up in gender issues than omnipotent energybeings really have any business to. But there's nothing else to do, so the X grabs a few spare X-chromosomes from Pandora's box (that's where I'd keep them) and knocks loose a few strands of timeline to prove her point. Anything your Jim can do, my Jane can do better.

That way at least it's a little less far fetched. They could have had the two crews working separately in the same comics encountering the same situations and resolving them differently, with Q and the X arguing about who's mucking things up worse, and not everyone would have to have their genders reversed this way either, so I wouldn't be stuck wondering how the hell that whole evacuation scene on the Kelvin would've worked out with the pregnant party in the suicide seat...

As it stands, it's just another case of "step around the plotholes and you'll be fine", I guess.

Not seeing it. Using the deus ex machina of Q isn't less far fetched.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well, less far fetched if you don't put stock in a view of alternate realities where every imaginable contingency, whether it's all the same save for one of the hydrogen molecules orbiting the Andromeda supermassive blackhole being slanted two degrees to the left or an entirely different set of laws of physics granting Picard the power of flight, is automatically presumed to exist. Which I have my reasons not to.

Having Q or another directing force behind it allows you to have a vastly different and at the same time very similar universe without throwing causility out of the window altogether. It doesn't have to be one convenience and coincidence after the other.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited March 2014
    . And absolutely LOVED a certain cameo in the second issue (won't spoil it).

Let me guess...Stan Lee as an admiral? ;)

(Just guessing, seriously. I've not seen it.)

Haven't read it, don't really have an interest to do so. I'm not knocking this specific work, but I'm not really fond of gender-changing, race-changing, species-changing, or similar swaps. To me it comes across as cheap-gimmick, shallow storytelling, or worse, an agenda. What's next? Uhura as a white man? McCoy as the half-vulcan member of the crew?
    edited March 2014
    Let me guess...Stan Lee as an admiral? ;)

(Just guessing, seriously. I've not seen it.)

Good guess. But nope. It's a star trek character. It was just really funny placement, and yet, fit what was going on in the story at the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Nice idea. Though personally I don't like it when they come up with an attempt at explaining it and crossing it with the real timeline - because they never really work out. The only explanation that worked was the one in Adventure Time!