test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What's the best Fed hangar pet?

markdbmarkdb Member Posts: 75 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Federation Discussion
Anybody have any suggestions about the best Fed hangar pets?
Post edited by markdb on

Comments

• pmaddenpmadden Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    my personal fav is the peregrine fighters, have em on my caitian carrier and they own most things, I only have the advanced ones don't even know if there are any elite ones?
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Another GX player I suppose?

Romur is its the yellowstone Runabout.
    I honestly use whatever I like looking at at the moment, since I consider the GX and Akira only funships anyway....
  • latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I like the Elite Peregrines, for the federation look. Although statistically the Elite Scorpions are the best all rounder, fighter wise. Yellowstone's are probably the best shuttle
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • katanic123katanic123 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The elite yellowstones are awesome and they can take a pounding, phasers, chroniton torps, tractors and a tet warp plasma
    Captain Cavillian
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't pvp much, but I've been hearing that yellowstones are absolute demons in there.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • vawlkusvawlkus Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Feds don't have a good pet. Get the scorpions, they work.
  • abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Depends on what you are looking for.

For harassers, you can't beat the Yellowstone shuttles. They have a tetryon warp plasma (eject warp plasma) and a tractor beam 3. They are armed with phaser beams and chroniton torpedoes.

The elite delta flyers are useful for depleting or getting through shields with tachyon beam 3. They have transphasic torpedoes and phaser beams.

The Elite peregrine fighters are ok, since they have quantum torpedoes.

The elite scorpions have high damage if they can stay alive, thanks to the high yield plasma torpedoes. Though those same torpedoes are targetable and can be destroyed unlike the peregrine's quantum torps.

The type 10 shuttles (which I have never used) are tougher than fighters, and you can launch up to 6 of these. Their damage is lower than other pets, but would be good for absorbing faw spam and general harassment. They would also be good for soaking up mines and high yield torpedoesI suppose.

The other Fed pets are uh...not so great.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    pmadden wrote: »
    my personal fav is the peregrine fighters, have em on my caitian carrier and they own most things, I only have the advanced ones don't even know if there are any elite ones?

Yes there are http://sto.gamepedia.com/Hangar_-_Elite_Peregrine_Fighters

I decided to go with Yellowstone Runabouts for my new Fleet Dreadnaught Cruiser http://sto.gamepedia.com/Hangar_-_Yellowstone_Runabouts Edit: Judging by the comments in this thread, I made the right choice. :)
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't think there is a "best".

Yellowstones (and other runabouts) do poor damage, but you don't use them for the damage. They're a "control" pet.

Elite Peregrines are better than most people give them credit for; their quantum torpedoes do consistent, moderate-high damage and their CRF strips shields pretty well.

Elite Scorpions wield a kinetic hammer against large, unshielded targets.

Elite Widows let you cheat and spread APB everywhere... until they fix that bug.

Elite Swarmers are great all-arounders.
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Best as in dps? Scorpions.
    But pets have other skills better than dps
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Elite Swarmers are great all-arounders.

You can only put swarmers on the Obelisk or Advanced Obelisk. Wouldn't characterize them as a Fed hangar pet.

BTW... moving this thread to the Fed gameplay forum.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • starsword1989starsword1989 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    You can only put swarmers on the Obelisk or Advanced Obelisk. Wouldn't characterize them as a Fed hangar pet.

You can get them from T3 spire (can equip on any ships), and they add pretty decent damage to both shielded and unshielded targets.
  • jer5488jer5488 Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Swarmers from the Spire can be equipped on any carrier. I'm using Spire Elite Swarmers on my Galaxy-X. Scorpions probably do higher spike damage, but I like the Swarmers. /shrug.
  • markdbmarkdb Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Thanks for the replays everyone. I think I will go with the yellowstones. I appreciate it guys.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited March 2014

You are incorrect.
  • lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited March 2014
    It depends on their role: Fighters have good offense, shuttles are good for defensive intercepting, and runabouts are good special offense.
  • aleaicaleaic Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Those that can acquire them, can get Jem'hadar Fighters as well, as they can go onto 'any' Fed hanger equipped ship, not just the Jemmy ships alone. My Gal-X is using elite ones, right now. They help blow things up good.
  • schwanbergschwanberg Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    For PvE:
    Having tested a lot of pets in sb234, I can say that elite swarmers are the best dps-wise. If you have no access or if they are too expensive, go for elite scorps.

For PvP:
    No idea.

Greetings
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I like the Elite Peregrines, for the federation look. Although statistically the Elite Scorpions are the best all rounder, fighter wise. Yellowstone's are probably the best shuttle

^This... The Elite Scorp is the best Fighter for the Feds and the Yellowstone is the best "larger" craft.
  • priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
    edited March 2014
    If anyone is still wondering, Elite Peregrine Fighters are the best "fed" fighters, but Elite Scorpions edge them out in DPS at the cost of looking silly when you launch them. Elite Yellowstones are the best larger craft, although the Obelisk Swarmers are pretty dang decent if you run heavy AP.
    Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
    Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
    Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I use Advanced Runabouts. I thought about getting the Yellowstone's, but I am not sure they do anything better to justify the cost.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If anyone is still wondering, Elite Peregrine Fighters are the best "fed" fighters, but Elite Scorpions edge them out in DPS at the cost of looking silly when you launch them. Elite Yellowstones are the best larger craft, although the Obelisk Swarmers are pretty dang decent if you run heavy AP.

:rolleyes: Once again... Your mods on your ship do not effect your pets. Therefore it does not make any difference if YOU are running Antiproton or not. Any tactical consoles or bonuses you get to AP do not carry to your pets. The best way you can help an AP carrying pet would be to try to give them more Critical Chance by stopping the enemy ship from moving and lowering the enemy resistances in any way you wish.

sunfrancks wrote: »
    I use Advanced Runabouts. I thought about getting the Yellowstone's, but I am not sure they do anything better to justify the cost.

Yellowstones come with a non-damaging version of Eject Warp Plasma and are all around a bit more deadly than the Runabouts. Does it really warrant the cost? Weeelll... Considering you already have the Advanced Runabouts... Not reeeeally.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yeah I love my Yellowstones.

Btw, I've been seeing people these days going for the the elite type 10 shuttles. Those look terrible to me but I keep seeing people grabbing them. Am I missing something here or are these people just uninformed?
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • thegrimcorsairthegrimcorsair Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    Yeah I love my Yellowstones.

Btw, I've been seeing people these days going for the the elite type 10 shuttles. Those look terrible to me but I keep seeing people grabbing them. Am I missing something here or are these people just uninformed?

Bearing in mind I have only the Advanced Type 10's....

It's not *entirely* impossible people are experimenting with the (relativeley) fast firing micro-photon torpedo and twin phaser arrays they carry to see if they hold up in the DPS department. That would give them more firepower per shuttle than the heavy shuttles, but it seems unlikely they'd outmatch Peregrines. Their PH, IME, does nothing to make them more durable, anytime I've seen them killed it's by the same things that would have wiped out any other fighter pet in the same situation.
    If you feel Keel'el's effect is well designed, please, for your own safety, be very careful around shallow pools of water.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Pets with beam weapons do more sustained DPS due to time-on-target.

Pets with cannons, they better have a big torpedo boom cause they do not fire very often, so you have to rely on their spike and they have poor DPS.

I suspect the type-10 are pretty good for DPS but I havent tested any of the fed pets yet.
  • dcpuserdcpuser Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There are pros and cons for almost every pet and it depends on build. Personally I run DPS pets so I have in my inventory Elite Swarmers and Elite Scorpions. Swarmers work out well against shielded mobile targets like Voth while Scorpions work out a little better against non mobile or unshielded things like Borg STFs.
  • daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    markdb wrote: »
    Anybody have any suggestions about the best Fed hangar pets?

I like the Elite Scorpions. They don't always do a lot of damage, but they're great for placation.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • hpgibbshpgibbs Member Posts: 395 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Personally, I prefer the Elite Fleet Jem'Hadar Fighters. They have DEM 3, polaron turret and arrays and i think Quantum torpedo launcher. They put out decent damage for a pet and are pretty survivable. If you can, run the Jem'Hadar attack ship off of the Jem'Hadar dreadnaught. frankly, they win all. Hope this helps!
    The Grate Lorde Cheesus
    Ship build coordinator for The Breakfast Club http://WWW.TBCSTO.COM
    Doesn't Owe Anyone EC
    Kirks Prot
  • georgedpgeorgedp Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    anyone knows if and how cruiser commands affect pets? Couldnt found it somewhere :)