test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dyson space - no country for old B'rels?

catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
edited March 2014 in Klingon Discussion
So... B'rel pilots, what do you do in Dyson space? Seems like everything can decloak you, so EBC is kind of pointless.

I could go to the standard in/out of cloak, but I may as well get a Fleet Norgh or run the Hegh'ta for Dyson.

I like my Hegh'ta just fine. It's just not a B'rel. :(

EDIT:
Okay, after being unimpressed with my Borg setup Hegh'ta, I went back to the B'rel & did a Transphasic setup because Voth know how to shield.

I swapped out the Quantums & KHG for the Breen set. I also used 2 Sci teams instead of my usual Polarize Hull/Haz Emitters (probably need to go back to 1 Haz Emitter, though). I usually only load 1 Cluster because it is so slow to load, but I might go for 2 because it's suicidal going full on into a Voth ball.

Now that was Pod Racing, right there.

You just have to adjust your distances. Can't make long attack runs because of the anti-cloak stuff.
Nessia (KDF Sci)
IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
Post edited by catliketyping on

Comments

• Options
    twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So... B'rel pilots, what do you do in Dyson space? Seems like everything can decloak you, so EBC is kind of pointless.

To be completely honest, I hop into my Mogh in Dyson space. It's not just the decloaking stuff they got, but also the shield-ignoring damage, which, with the paper thin hull of my B'rel, just started to get to me. Anywhere else, I'm perfectly happy in my BoP's, but over there, I just opt for things with a little more hull. Like, twice as much.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's not just B'rels, the Voth punish a number of playstyles ranging from carriers to parking cannon builds. Their ability to do so much direct hull damage also punishes lighter attack craft and fragile science ships.

If you absolutely want to use a raider against them, I would recommend a torp build or, of all things, a long-range broadsiding beam build. The Voth have a number of nasty close range slowing abilities, so maintaining your distance is a must in a ship that fragile(Tyken's Rift is still going to rip you up though).
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    B'rel is great for many Dyson-Space missions, actually. The key to understanding is that in many cases, COMBAT IS OPTIONAL. The ability to simply cloak and bugger off without getting into an extended brawl is simply awesome. Ever since the removal of the daily, you don't get paid for Voth killings, so why bother getting into an unnecessary fight? If you just bugger off, you can get on with your next task and avoid an unnecessary time-consuming brawl completely. Gone are the days when doing your Voth Daily was to pick a fight with as many Voth as you could bite off and chew with both hands.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, i use torpedo builds only in my b'rel and t'varo (even if the t'varo is terribly disappointing).

I did a bunch of space fights yesterday in the contested zone, including the big giant gojira ship fights. I still dont love transphasics, but i did contribute even if i died a couple times.

Setup is 2 rapid fire transphasics, 1 blue mkxii transphasic, and the breen cluster up front... 2 green mkxii transphasic torps aft. Breen set bonus to transphasics (2 piece), rule 62 console, borg console, 3 purple mkxi transphasic consoles... 4x Nausicaan Pirate BOFFs. I use the borg impulse just because, but i might switch to aegis for the extra 5%.
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
  • Options
    kodiakjorgenssonkodiakjorgensson Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited March 2014

I could go to the standard in/out of cloak, but I may as well get a Fleet Norgh or run the Hegh'ta for Dyson.

I like my Hegh'ta just fine. It's just not a B'rel. :(

EDIT:
    Okay, after being unimpressed with my Borg setup Hegh'ta, I went back to the B'rel & did a Transphasic setup because Voth know how to shield.

I swapped out the Quantums & KHG for the Breen set. I also used 2 Sci teams instead of my usual Polarize Hull/Haz Emitters (probably need to go back to 1 Haz Emitter, though). I usually only load 1 Cluster because it is so slow to load, but I might go for 2 because it's suicidal going full on into a Voth ball.

Now that was Pod Racing, right there.

You just have to adjust your distances. Can't make long attack runs because of the anti-cloak stuff.

gravity well 3 + torpedo spread 3 with gravimetric torpedos works great agisnt the voth
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    gravity well 3 + torpedo spread 3 with gravimetric torpedos works great agisnt the voth

Are they immune to something in the grav well exotic damage? I throw grav well 1 & 3 for CC in the voth space & i remember a lot of IMMUNE spam in the voth balls even if the voth ships are stuck in the GW bubble.

The thing i like about photons (6 second timer) is kind of negated by the distances i need to work with (shorter attack runs from longer distance). The long timeout on transphasics isnt so bad since fighting voth seems to take more time to maneuver.

Of course, slotting photons for voth means i might be able to use less projectile DOFFs in favor of gravimetric or deflector BOFFs...
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
  • Options
    kodiakjorgenssonkodiakjorgensson Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    voth ships have a special shield ability that will make one facing immune to all incoming damage, its easy to ignore it, just attack different facing. my strategy for my sci captain is to

Grav Well 3
    Hargh Pheng
    Scramble Sensors 1
    Torpedo Spread 3 (omega plasma or gravimetric torpedo's)
    jam sensors
    Tykens rift 1
    emergency power to engines
    torpedo spread 1 or 3 (omega plasma)
    Hargh pheng.

basically I'm trapping the voth in a tight circle so i can hit them with splash damage from the hargh pheng torpedo, and using scramble sensors to make them fight one another so they'll weaken each other and I can finish them off. also stick with the transphasics, for the shield bypass maybe try out a cluster transphasics, those things can tare a voth ship in two if you can get one past the beam fire at will
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Scramble sensors? I will have to try that, and drop out my Sci Team panic button since i am better at avoiding now.

How about Plasma Torps for the DoT and HY splash? Is that mote viable these days? I know i have some plasma torps and consoles in storage somewhere. The distances might make it prohibitive, though.
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
  • Options
    autumnturningautumnturning Member Posts: 743 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    High Yield Plasma against Voth? Do they EVER stop using BFAW spam?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    That's true... i guess that also neuters tricobalt bombers. Darn. Wish i had more options to get at hull... unless i only use plasma spread torps :-(

Transphasic it is, then. I guess i could also go back to KHG and warhead yield chambers for rainbow torpedos, but that also sounds unappealing. If i get the gravimetrics, then i might

I just hate giving up 2 weapon slots to slow loaders like the Hargh'peng and breen cluster.

Maybe if i put at least one rapid reload transphasic aft (no slow loading torpedos aft) to trigger torpedo DOFF procs on the way out... but with only 2 slots aft, it still hurts. But i hate getting too close with non-buffed torpedo strikes while going into a voth ball just to get DOFFs to work.
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    High Yield Plasma against Voth? Do they EVER stop using BFAW spam?

Not only that, but they also tend to frequently drop Aceton Probes. Targetable projectiles are very much pointless against Voth.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I switch to energy weapons on my brel when facing voth, and yes you might as well stay in the brel because before you decloak you can still drop an aceton assimilator and use other consoles and sci abilities before you decloak. By doing this before decloak then moving out of range it gets the voth to waste their reflective immunity matrix, then you can decloak and vape them.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions