test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lost A Good Friend Today.

oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Ten Forward
Today we had to say goodbye to my best friend, Chloe (July 1999 to March 7, 2014). She was the last of three siblings from a litter.

After a long and agonizing decision, we decided that she shouldn't suffer. She made that last trip to the vet's office this morning. Age, combined with a form of feline cancer, meant that there was no hope of her surviving surgery.

She was laid to rest on our rural property alongside other lost, and sorely missed, four legged friends.

I guess that I do come across as a TRIBBLE on these boards (and IRL) sometimes. But I guess that I do have human feelings after all.

So, as I sit here, drowning my hurt in a bottle of Jack Daniels, I want to propose the toast that Kirk did in Star Trek III for Spock, in honor of my beloved feline friend:

"To absent friends"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Sorry to hear about this. :( I hope that she lived a happy feline life, at least, and that she died peacefully.
  • ncc42662ncc42662 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Today we had to say goodbye to my best friend, Chloe (July 1999 to March 7, 2014). She was the last of three siblings from a litter.

So, as I sit here, drowning my hurt in a bottle of Jack Daniels, I want to propose the toast that Kirk did in Star Trek III for Spock, in honor of my beloved feline friend:

"To absent friends"

I feel your pain my fellow Star Trek friend. I'm mixing a drink now for your loss and in memory of those beloved pets in my past.

Take care.
    "The Prime Directive is merely a guideline to help make the right choice" -Vn'dor Phail, Capt
    :: sneezes :: Why is it no-one dusts the bridge on Starfleet vessels?" -Emsil Marat, Glinn
    "We can not interfere in the progression of one's life" -Richard Lynch, LtCdr
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I could put something trite and quick here like, "I grieve with thee.", but this would be unfair and hardly begin to cover the loss you're feeling. I love my pets and many times they are far more human and caring and giving than most people.

After the last time I made the trip you described, I was deeply morose and very irritable with nearly everyone for about a week. Then, I realized my life was fuller for having this wonderful being who thought I was the neatest thing ever and gave his love unstintingly and full on no matter how it hurt him to walk (hip displasia). The displasia was only the beginning of his numerous medical problems and I've never regretted any of the money I spent trying make his life more comfortable. Until, like yourself, the vet told me there was nothing more she could do.

Right up to the very end, he never stopped loving me. Who am I to deserve something like this? What did I ever do to earn the trust and affection he always gave?

We are far luckier than we ought to be to have pets such as these. And as long as we remember the good times they brought to us and the positive energy they placed in our lives they are never really gone. I saw a tee-shirt the other day which reminded me of him all over again. It said,
    "Today, I am going to try to be the person my dog thinks I am."
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I had made this trip couple of years ago, with a little cat of 11 months old. The sweetest cat you could ever have found. His kidney's were poisoning it's brain and making him spasm every 15 mins or so...

Good luck and remember the good times.
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
  • jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    *salutes* I once had a cat, and she passed away. I know the hardships you're facing. My condolences :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Its hard to loose a pet but even harder to loose a companion. As much as my cat pee's me off sometimes, she is my little shadow and one of my fuzzie-est's of friends. Sorry to hear about the loss of your four legg-ed friend.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So sorry to hear :(. I once had a Schnauzer but he passed away due to congestive heart failure. It is very hard when you lose one :(.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I had an orange tabby that I had since I was 4. One day we let him out and he was eaten by one of the wild dogs we have here in Reno (my tablet won't let me spell the name of the dog). Since then I have lost another 2 cats in that manner. I'm on my third cat and I dread losing her. I know what your going through.
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    R.I.P. Chloe :'(
    signwidrona.png
  • reallydumbpwereallydumbpwe Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    My condolences. As a veterinarian, I can certainly understand that special bond.
    Rest assured, she will play in Sto-vo-kor amongst the honored dead... for cats are too cool for anything else.

To absent friends :(
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I want to thank you all for your kind words and well wishes.

Reading them has helped me feel a little bit better.

Probably because it reminded me that here on STO Forums, we are a big family.

Once again, gang, a big hearty thank you from me to all of you. :)
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    had to bury a pet dog last year near the end of 2013. the other pet dog hasnt been the same since she passed, but im glad it was only brief to avoid the suffering, cataracts in the eyes came on suddenly and a few weeks later that was it. she was buried in the backyard.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    had to bury a pet dog last year near the end of 2013. the other pet dog hasnt been the same since she passed, but im glad it was only brief to avoid the suffering, cataracts in the eyes came on suddenly and a few weeks later that was it. she was buried in the backyard.
    And other people saying that animals don't know what happens around them... Yeah bull. Sorry to hear..
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
    edited March 2014
    stoutes wrote: »
    And other people saying that animals don't know what happens around them... Yeah bull. Sorry to hear..

when you have been around a pet long enough, especially with social animals, they form their own attachments after a while and you notice these things. this little scruffy jack Russel was left by my sisters husband while we had a half breed dog, very laid back and friendly, but also very smart of a dog. anyway she passed after 10 years of life so a good run of 70 years in human terms, and the small jack russel who always ran besides her noticed, ever since he has not played, hes been sleeping in the corner, generally withdrawn. far cry from his time jumping and bouncing about, barking and growling, basically acting like a rubbery puppy running around doing 8's in the backyard and such.

edit: little more info.
  • borgus1122borgus1122 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm sory for your loss. I know what are you going through. I had to do the same with my previous cat (Pumpkin) few years ago. And the sorrow and pain that came to me that day was great. Like someone said before me - animals are more human than a lot of people. They won't lie to you or stab you in your back, they will love you for what you are not becouse of your looks. I cannot imagine my life without a pet. And I have also a cat now, and she is for me like a member of family and not a pet.
  • janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I am very sorry for your loss.
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I am very sorry for your loss I know how much a pet can become part of the family so losing one can be a big blow.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    got a pet cat, but shes around 8 years old. highly predictable but very loyal despite cats being semi wild and solitary creatures, still got the mother cat around, both tend to sleep next to each other, so still got a few years more to go, i hope at least a decade more life from my pet cat.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    stoutes wrote: »

I remember the dog of a soldier who died in battle. When they brought his body home for a funeral, his dog sat by his casket and never left its side.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png