test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Good News, Everyone! HOMEWORLD

squatsaucesquatsauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Ten Forward
Gearbox is doing a thing. Homeworld is involved. Check it out.
Post edited by squatsauce on

Comments

• mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I wish someone could do that for X-wing V Tie fighter it was a fantasic game that just screams to be updated, chuck in a PvP section for online gameplay and you have a winner.

Also now that Lucasarts has shutdown someone somewhere may be looking to shift the rights to the game (hint hint Cryptic, nugde nudge, wink wink...)
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited March 2014
    I am super excited for this. Homeworld series is some of my favorite games ever.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This would be awesome. Let's hope it doesn't turn into vaporware.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    mjarbar wrote: »
    I wish someone could do that for X-wing V Tie fighter it was a fantasic game that just screams to be updated, chuck in a PvP section for online gameplay and you have a winner.

Also now that Lucasarts has shutdown someone somewhere may be looking to shift the rights to the game (hint hint Cryptic, nugde nudge, wink wink...)

I don't think that's possible - Disney has the rights to everything Star Wars-related and if they gouge prices to run comic books *coughGargoylescough* then, this would be the same.
  • squatsaucesquatsauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This would be awesome. Let's hope it doesn't turn into vaporware.

It's not likely to. Gearbox, despite producing some TRIBBLE games, does actually produce games. Further, they've got access to some of the original Homeworld talent due to an apparently informal relationship with Blackbird Interactive.

I will be honest, gearbox might bollocks the HD remaster up and produce something horrible. BUT!! They will also re-release the original games, something that I've been hoping for for years at this point. If it means getting the original Homeworld available on steam or gog or something, I'll be pretty happy.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    *Gasp!* Santa Maria! :eek:

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    squatsauce wrote: »
    It's not likely to. Gearbox, despite producing some TRIBBLE games, does actually produce games. Further, they've got access to some of the original Homeworld talent due to an apparently informal relationship with Blackbird Interactive.

I will be honest, gearbox might bollocks the HD remaster up and produce something horrible. BUT!! They will also re-release the original games, something that I've been hoping for for years at this point. If it means getting the original Homeworld available on steam or gog or something, I'll be pretty happy.

And the TRIBBLE games they have produced generally have some pretty solidly tangible reasons - DNF was a trainwreck that was given to them on the condition that they shove it out the door, and Colonial Marines was a classic example of too many cooks in the kitchen - three or four other developers involved with very poor communication.

There is still the fact that they basically tried to scam Sega, and their lawsuits with 3DRealms every few months are troubling (even though it looks like so far 3DRealms has been in the wrong every step). It gives them the look of a company that could take a very bad turn very easily.
    edited March 2014

Sounds hopeful, then. I don't know anything about Gearbox or Blackbird.

I'm cautiously optimistic.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    I think Thomas the Cat had a series of small strokes when he saw this.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • oracle54oracle54 Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    I think Thomas the Cat had a series of small strokes when he saw this.

"Strokes"

Nice
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't see any media like a screenshot or preview of how really remastered it is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited March 2014
    Two of my favorite games...I'll be watching for this.

Could a remastering/reissuing be an attempt to renew/drum up interest in a 3rd game? (I hope)
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    if its a homeworld remastery, is it just a graphics and audio face lift? no new story elements? hw2 was atrocious with its storyline, and i would like to see more from the other races on the galactic council and the turanic raiders, they seem like a fun bunch, just hope when its remastered that the standard corvette can be capped by the salvette.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It is probably just updated to run on modern PCs with HD resolutions.
  • drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Be nice if they'd also bundle in Cataclysm. I liked Cataclysm. :(
  • squatsaucesquatsauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    if its a homeworld remastery, is it just a graphics and audio face lift? no new story elements? hw2 was atrocious with its storyline, and i would like to see more from the other races on the galactic council and the turanic raiders, they seem like a fun bunch, just hope when its remastered that the standard corvette can be capped by the salvette.

Based on what Gearbox has said so far, it's an engine overhaul, with improved ship models and high resolution textures. Additionally, they're redoing the original game's wonderful black-and-white story sequences with higher-resolution assets. Not sure if those will be the original assets or recreations from the same artists. No word on whether or not they'll add any new single-player content.

Also, they probably won't be adding Cataclysm.

Honestly, I don't see the non-inclusion of Cataclysm as much of a loss. It doesn't fit in with the rest of the story very well and wasn't very well balanced, but that's just my personal opinion. Also, the rights involved with Cataclysm are even wonkier than the rights for Homeworld.

For those that DO want more Homeworldy action, the aforementioned Blackbird is releasing a prequel game. It won't be space based (boo) but should offer a similar tense and lonely feel. I don't find the movement to ground-based combat as a bad thing, as it allows for more varied tactical considerations than the usual emptiness of 3D space.

Any-hoo, here's an old trailer for Shipbreakers prior to the acquisition of the Homeworld IP by Gearbox and agreement with Blackbird to rework it into a Homeworld game. Look at that art, listen to that music, and tell me you don't see a strong influence from the intro to Homeworld here. :D
    edited March 2014
    Honestly, I don't see the non-inclusion of Cataclysm as much of a loss. It doesn't fit in with the rest of the story very well and wasn't very well balanced, but that's just my personal opinion. Also, the rights involved with Cataclysm are even wonkier than the rights for Homeworld.

I actually really enjoyed Cataclysm, particularly the level with the Bentusi. That Kirk Summation the commander gave was awesome.
    Any-hoo, here's an old trailer for Shipbreakers prior to the acquisition of the Homeworld IP by Gearbox and agreement with Blackbird to rework it into a Homeworld game. Look at that art, listen to that music, and tell me you don't see a strong influence from the intro to Homeworld here. :D

As far as mechanics goes, it reminds me of Ground Control. I liked that game, though the story was kind of lame. Shipbreakers looks fun.