test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Massive Space Revamp Incoming?

samt296samt296 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
According to some things I've read from the DEV's it seems that the next major update will include some big changes to the space mechanics. The removal of the shared cool down between team powers is just the first step.

On that note I have an idea, they mentioned not being sure what to do with the auto-shield distribution ability on Tactical Team, they might give it its own power. I however, have another idea. It will require massive changes to how shields work, however.

In Star Trek we see on many occasions that certain sections of the shield take damage while other ones remain fine. (Star Trek: DS9 Paradise Lost "Port Shields at 60%!") Yet in other scenes all of the shields will be down to a certain point. (Star Trek Insurrection "Shields at 60%!")

Keep the four shield sections BUT whenever you take damage to any part of your shield it causes a minor amount of damage to your other shield facings as well. This helps counteract shield balancing and adds a whole new layer of complexity to space combat. You no longer are forced to target a specific shield facing to kill someone although it is still the best way.

So to be specific now: 70% of damage hitting the ship causes damage to the primary shield facing being targeted while the other 30% is distributed to the other three facings or 10% to the other facings.

So you deal the same amount of DPS but it is applied differently than before. Because of how shields work as a united energy barrier it stands to reason that some of the damage would spread around the shield like this.

Somehow I see this helping to level the playing field when it comes to high DPS'ers as well. Small increase to your damage output aren't as significant.
"When people ask stupid questions I feel obligated to give sarcastic answers."

Keltoi Class... fan design. You KNOW you want one In-game!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by samt296 on

Comments

• Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Massive Space Revamp Incoming!

Links or it's not happening. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Links or it's not happening. :rolleyes:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1042681

Read through the first couple of pages. Pay particular attention to the DEV comments about the changes to sensor analysis and the other hints they dangle at changing up BOFF power mechanics. I'm Sure there is more information on this out there somewhere as well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, I read the link. A lot of justification on the team power change and then... Well, only thing they actually talk about doing is decoupling sensor analysis from current target and making it an actively chosen target. The "wait a couple weeks" thing on heals is roughly in line with what we've been promised for further information on secondary deflectors and doesn't justify new speculation, and... Yeah, that's it. And even if the healing change is separate from secondary deflectors, it doesn't add up to "massive." It adds up to, "Nice for science at least, and they sure need something these days."
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    hevach wrote: »
    Yeah, I read the link. A lot of justification on the team power change and then... Well, only thing they actually talk about doing is decoupling sensor analysis from current target and making it an actively chosen target. The "wait a couple weeks" thing on heals is roughly in line with what we've been promised for further information on secondary deflectors and doesn't justify new speculation, and... Yeah, that's it. And even if the healing change is separate from secondary deflectors, it doesn't add up to "massive." It adds up to, "Nice for science at least, and they sure need something these days."

*shrug* I interpreted it differently. They seem to be dangling little bits of information about some incoming changes. For example, he spent the last two paragraphs discussing "choice" issues on BOFF powers which seemed to allude to several upcoming changes.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    samt296 wrote: »
    Read through the first couple of pages.

I did. It mentions a couple of skills needing attention, at least one that will get some, and...other than that, nothing to suggest that any "massive space revamp" is coming to anyplace other than your imagination.

-shrug-
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I did. It mentions a couple of skills needing attention, at least one that will get some, and...other than that, nothing to suggest that any "massive space revamp" is coming to anyplace other than your imagination.

-shrug-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbm6NqFFSU8

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    *shrug* I interpreted it differently. They seem to be dangling little bits of information about some incoming changes. For example, he spent the last two paragraphs discussing "choice" issues on BOFF powers which seemed to allude to several upcoming changes.

Interpretations will always differ when the information is as tenuous as that.

You may be right, however that assumption kind of rests on trust in Cryptics strategy.

As things have been recently, Im not sure there is a strategy anymore, just a lot of tactics and fire-fighting.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited March 2014
    I'm leaning towards a some sort of major adjustment or revamp. The comments in blog posts and via articles and twitter shows something is coming. The new EP as well.

It's gonna take time. It will come in steps, including steps many will complain about 'breaking' the game.

The current cooldown links is one of them. And the lengthy and detailed post is a good indicator of things to come.

Part of that strategy - or mindset - is demonstrated in the reboot of the Gal-X. Even though I vocally wanted more from the reboot, it's a decent refresh which puts the ship below the Avenger and Odyssey in terms of capabilities. Where is should be.

Power creep IS an issue. In the last 18 months we've gone from 10K builds to 50K builds. From having to practice to beat NWS, to 3-man teams beating every variation. Or the best analogy - remember when puggin CSE was unthinkable? (If you doubt any element of that statement, you're not active enough or educated enough of a player to notice.)

The game has gone from Star Trek Online to SUPER EASY FUN_TIME ONLINE. Everyone is now a winner. Participation medals at the end of every STF. Lets make the game EASY.

The challenge is gone. The threats are manageable. I do not fear opponents the way I feared the borg in Year One.

The fun is limited to my relationships with other players, and running T1 and T2 ships in STFs (more on that to follow, and with the shared cooldowns gone, so much more possible).

IF these changes are part of a well thought out plan to migrate the game to a more balance system where each class has true value - then I am all for it. I will happily evolve. But you need to do this in a way that informs rather than ignores your existing players.

My Two Bits

Admiral Thrax
  • Options
    thyrnecristhyrnecris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Thanks to Doffs and Universal Consoles, there is no 'Downside' in taking anything except the absolute minimal amount of selfheal, and especially the Romulan side (which I play, by the way) has the issue with some of the 'stronger' Consoles being the ones that can be claimed and put on any ship (Valdore Console, looking at you). Every 'Nerf Romulans!!!!' is based on the assumption that the Warbird in question has a full set of 'Superior Operative' BOs, together with Plasmonic Leech (3/6 Bars in Flowcaps).

Personally, I would prefer that NOT taking defensive options would start to punish players again.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Oh, well there's incontrovertible evidence that your revamp fantasy is more than just a fantasy. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think you read too much into what was said.

The comment was essentially that any sweeping change to the TT mechanics would have to take place during a large-scale systems update that affects more than just that one power.

Nothing was said to suggest that such an update is in the works.

I wouldn't necessarily rule it out, but let's not take the comment out of its' context.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    The comment was essentially that any sweeping change to the TT mechanics would have to take place during a large-scale systems update that affects more than just that one power.

I wouldn't necessarily rule it out, but let's not take the comment out of its' context.

Yeah, some tempered expectations would be good here. The continued commentary and feedback and discussion is great as it reveals some depth to what they're doing. And it shows that they're aware tweaks and changes are needed and have ideas on how to do that.

But going from there to "Cryptic said!" or "More broken Promises" seems a slippery slope. One I've slipped on many times in the past.
    I do not fear opponents the way I feared the borg in Year One.

The borg in year 1 were super easy. It took a few sweeps and changes to get them to be anything more than slow moving cannon fodder. There were so many complaint threads about how the Borg were not scary back then.

I was always against changing them. It made sense that we'd moved past the Borg and that they were easier. It made sense that the Undine and other new threats loomed on the horizon.

Unfortunately the player base was still hung up on the past. Still is. It's why we get year long threads about the Galaxy class ship or why people cling to alternate timeline versions of the Galaxy.

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I think you read too much into what was said.

In context of his comments:
    You should wait a couple more weeks. :) (Also, the Vesta has a PBAoE heal console)
    The change we're testing de-couples sensor analysis from your hard target. ...The change is testing really well internally and should be on Tribble soon, which is why I'm comfortable telling you about it before it sees the light of day. Feedback and tuning on it will still be needed, of course, and as always in game development, this is not a promise that this will be what we end up doing. :)
    So, in a couple weeks, I tink we can expect the devs to throw up a new modification to Sensor Analysis. Then, they'll see if it "sticks" or sstinks.

He mentions a larger change to abilities being in the works, but that they want to ease into it. I think the only real question is: Is the entire system going to rolled out bit by bit, or are these the beginnings of the changes that will make the BIG change smoother.

Yes, it is a way down the road, but it seems it will be coming.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well..it did take like 4 years to get the KDF uniforms 'fixed' ... :P