test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ar'kif R vs. Fleet

royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Romulan Discussion
So, I've been enjoying my Ar'kif R lately, but I'm wondering how much of a difference the extra 3-4K hull and .09 shield mod really make. Is it worth spending $5 for the upgrade?

I decided awhile back not to upgrade to the Fleet T'Varo, mainly because I use it as a torp bomber so the extra shields aren't all that important. But my only real complaint with the Ar'kif is squishiness, so I'm considering it.
"You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
--Red Annorax
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• heegoo419heegoo419 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    For $5 its definitely worth the upgrade. Just for the 5th tactical console slot. For the potential of putting one if the Fleet Spire Tact Consoles there and doing an extra 32% damage and getting more Crit chance or damage.

The extra hull and shields are a bonus but if you're having survivability issues there might be other things going on. I have the non-fleet Arkif and have no issues.

Post your build and we can take a look at it for you.
    Risa Squadron
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yes the fleet one is worth getting i got it 2 days ago its still a bit squishy but 5 tac consoles does maje a difference
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    heegoo419 wrote: »
    For $5 its definitely worth the upgrade. Just for the 5th tactical console slot. For the potential of putting one if the Fleet Spire Tact Consoles there and doing an extra 32% damage and getting more Crit chance or damage.

The extra hull and shields are a bonus but if you're having survivability issues there might be other things going on. I have the non-fleet Arkif and have no issues.

Post your build and we can take a look at it for you.
    So far the build is not at all optimized. And it is plenty survivable. By squishy I mean I occasionally have opportunity to use Fleet Support or think, "Where did I put the button for Aux2SIF?"
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The Ar'Kif's Fleet version doesn't have a functional "Romulan Fleet" material. It initially comes with it on purchase, but if you ever visit the tailor to customize your ship, you'll never have access to it again.
    edited February 2014
    Right, good to know that, since usually the first thing I do with a new ship is hit the tailor. Thanks!
    --Red Annorax
    edited February 2014
    So far the build is not at all optimized. And it is plenty survivable. By squishy I mean I occasionally have opportunity to use Fleet Support or think, "Where did I put the button for Aux2SIF?"

I see what you're saying now. I personally wouldn't describe that as squishy but it is matter of opinion. See I'm one of those people who purposely let's my hull get down that far so I can use GDF and Fleet Support.
    Risa Squadron
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2014
    umaeko wrote: »
    The Ar'Kif's Fleet version doesn't have a functional "Romulan Fleet" material. It initially comes with it on purchase, but if you ever visit the tailor to customize your ship, you'll never have access to it again.
    I see what you're saying now. I personally wouldn't describe that as squishy but it is matter of opinion. See I'm one of those people who purposely let's my hull get down that far so I can use GDF and Fleet Support.

Yeah, I've done that on purpose occasionally, usually in the really big fights that take awhile, and especially when photonic fleet is on cooldown.

Here's a build link. Like I said, not at all optimized yet. Since I like to run both cannons and torps on this ship (TS3 + CSV1 + DEM2 is a fun combo) I think I may go ahead and 'fleet up' for the added console.
    --Red Annorax
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So, I've been enjoying my Ar'kif R lately, but I'm wondering how much of a difference the extra 3-4K hull and .09 shield mod really make. Is it worth spending $5 for the upgrade?

I decided awhile back not to upgrade to the Fleet T'Varo, mainly because I use it as a torp bomber so the extra shields aren't all that important. But my only real complaint with the Ar'kif is squishiness, so I'm considering it.
    Dude just get FSMs off the Exchange for EC. Or grind for a few days and convert the dilth to zen.
    edited March 2014
    stofsk wrote: »
    Dude just get FSMs off the Exchange for EC. Or grind for a few days and convert the dilth to zen.
    Yeah, I know, but when you maybe get to play an hour every day or two, grinding just isn't time-economical. Or fun. So I do fun stuff and get the low-hanging fruit for dil and ECs, like sellnig the occasional Superior Operative boff and doing the featured Foundry missions.
    --Red Annorax
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, I've done that on purpose occasionally, usually in the really big fights that take awhile, and especially when photonic fleet is on cooldown.

Here's a build link. Like I said, not at all optimized yet. Since I like to run both cannons and torps on this ship (TS3 + CSV1 + DEM2 is a fun combo) I think I may go ahead and 'fleet up' for the added console.

Well a few suggestions I have for you:

1) The Quad cannons are really not all that good. You will get more DPS out of a DHC. I know you will lose the Set bonus of the 10% extra plasma damage but you will make up for it with a DHC in its place.

2) The Transphasic Torp Cluster is not what it once was. You will get more DPS out a plasma turret. On top of it will always fire, you dont have to wait for it to get in an arc.

3) Sub the beam array on the back for the Kinetic Cutting beam and get the Assimilated Module for the Omega Rep. WELL worth the price. also i would replace the dual beam bank up front with another DHC

4) Get rid of the prefire chamber console and get another plasma infuser.

5) Get rid of the antiplasma envelope console and get another plasma infuser. Your energy weapons overall do WAY more damage that the torps will. so you will get more benefit from the energy weapon damage boost.

6) for the engineering consoles go for some neutroniums. overall good and i dont think you really need rcs in this ship.

7) the valadore shield heal console is a great console to have on board.

Here is what I am using at the moment:

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=praetorezra_0

Granted I have spent some time and EC/Dilithium/Fleet Credit getting my gear. On top of I have maxed out all of my Rep too. But with this build I can do just below 20k DPS. So I figure once I get the Fleet version with some pushing I can get this build to almost 25-30K.
    Risa Squadron
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    Thanks for the suggestions below. :) Don't let teh fact that I'm about to have some tongue-in-cheek fun with them make you think they aren't appreciated.
    Well a few suggestions I have for you:

1) The Quad cannons are really not all that good. You will get more DPS out of a DHC. I know you will lose the Set bonus of the 10% extra plasma damage but you will make up for it with a DHC in its place.
    Yeah, I've heard this often. But I like it. I'm a casual player, and the Quads still kill stuff pretty bloody fast. But I'll probably eventually buy a good DHC to swap out for those rare occasions where I do an STF or something. Can't have anyone noticing I'm using a quad in that, now can we? I'd be shunned! ;)
    2) The Transphasic Torp Cluster is not what it once was. You will get more DPS out a plasma turret. On top of it will always fire, you dont have to wait for it to get in an arc.
    Don't doubt that either, but I love the trail of yellow numbers it provides, so I expect it'll stay. Maybe it swaps out for a turret/KCB/rotten banana launcher on the same schedule as the quad cannons, we'll see.
    3) Sub the beam array on the back for the Kinetic Cutting beam and get the Assimilated Module for the Omega Rep. WELL worth the price. also i would replace the dual beam bank up front with another DHC
    The KCB/Assimilated combo are on my list when I get to that level of Rep. Which at the rate I'm going will be sometime in 2017.

He thinks I'm joking. :cool:
    4) Get rid of the prefire chamber console and get another plasma infuser.
    Actually, that's definitely on the agenda. Look closer - one of those plasma infusers is a Mk VIII I think. The equipment on there is just from drops - I haven't gone out and bought anything at all for this ship yet.
    5) Get rid of the antiplasma envelope console and get another plasma infuser. Your energy weapons overall do WAY more damage that the torps will. so you will get more benefit from the energy weapon damage boost.
    Again, I understand that. But I'm a torp guy. TS3 + CSV1 + DEM2 just makes me all giddy inside.
    6) for the engineering consoles go for some neutroniums. overall good and i dont think you really need rcs in this ship.
    Probably not, though it's nice to go in guns blazing then set her on her tail and pop the cluster torp on the way out. When I get around to buying consoles I'm sure the RCS will go.
    7) the valadore shield heal console is a great console to have on board.
    Aye, I've been considering that. Just haven't bought the Valdore.

I find it pretty funny that, of your 7 suggestions, 5 are about increasing DPS. I was pretty upfront that my only problem with the Ar'kif R was a slight squishiness.
    Here is what I am using at the moment:

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=praetorezra_0

Granted I have spent some time and EC/Dilithium/Fleet Credit getting my gear. On top of I have maxed out all of my Rep too. But with this build I can do just below 20k DPS. So I figure once I get the Fleet version with some pushing I can get this build to almost 25-30K.

See, DPS just doesn't thrill me at all. Stuff dies just fine in front of me with my current build. Yes, if it died faster, I'd take less damage. But then, see, if I were a min/max guy I wouldn't have asked this question to begin with. Of course the Fleet version would be worth the coin.

I bought a FSM module last night, probably going to make the upgrade (unless I decide to upgrade my Haakona instead, we'll see. If I get another purple SupOp boff, I can afford both.) ;)
    --Red Annorax
  • abcde123123abcde123123 Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Lemme drop my few cents here:

If fiver aint gonna break your bank then definitely go for fleet version. I got arkif and baby arkif combo during the last ship sale but somehow didn't bother unpacking. Got the fleet version few weeks ago, played with cannons for a while, then made it as cookie cutter beamscort from here.

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=cookiecutterarkif_5462

The thing is suprisingly effective.

As far as suggestion go, if dps isn't your primary concern, I'd suggest putting sci3 into that uni3 slot with gravity well 1. GW is really interesting power :)
    edited March 2014
    Err... Science Team 3 and Gravity Well 1 are both a LtC Boff power. You can't have both at the same time on an Ar'Kif. You must have meant Science Team 2. :)
    edited March 2014
    umaeko wrote: »
    Err... Science Team 3 and Gravity Well 1 are both a LtC Boff power. You can't have both at the same time on an Ar'Kif. You must have meant Science Team 2. :)
    I think he meant to use the 'uni3' slot (i.e. a universal clot with three powers) for a 'sci3' (i.e., a science slot with three powers). I don't think he was talking about using Sci Team 3.

Sadly, I forgot that my fleet is not close to Spire tier 3. :( Considered using my FSM for the Fleet Ha'apax (I do use my Haakona when I wanna be big and tanky) but we're also not at Tier V shipyard yet. So I suppose for the moment it is a 'mute point' <-- saw this in another thread this morning and barely contained my inner spelling TRIBBLE.

Yeah, I could ask for a fleet invite. Just not sure I wanna hassle with it at the moment.
    --Red Annorax
    edited March 2014
    Ah. Sorry. My mistake then. ^_^;