test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Interesting Playable Race / Career suggestion ?

tardes13tardes13 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Federation Discussion
Ok, so I'm starting 1-2 new toons and wondering if anybody's got suggestions on what race to choose and why do you think it's nice playing it.

Please add in a career suggestion if you feel it would go better for that specific race.

Sofar, tackling a Joined Thrills me ( ? science ? ), but am definitely looking for more suggestions.

As a note, I'm not after RP so that's not a criterion.
Post edited by tardes13 on

Comments

• thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Caitian Tactical.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ferengi TAC, Lib Borg Sci, Klingon Sci (with a specialty in medicine), Vulcan TAC...emphasis on melee.

Just mix it up a bit and you'll find something cool.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Caitian of any career.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • tardes13tardes13 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Thanks for the suggestions ... sofar.

I see many cat fans. Why is this so popular ?

Also noticed almost half of the races that nobody seems to mention. Something wrong with them ?
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Pakled. Science.

Because that would be amazeballs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Pakled. Science.

lol. That's hilarious. Maybe a Fed Klingon Tactical? They do more DPS on ground (sort of like Caitians)
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • artemisa0kartemisa0k Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I haven't gotten a chance to purchase them yet but the Catians have some pretty nice passive ground traits which is probably why they are so popular.

They jump higher than anyone else, have a innate dodge chance and have a built in lunge style exploit attack probably a few other things I'm forgetting.

Another intresting race :

from the wiki : http://sto.gamepedia.com/Tellarite

Tellarite

Species trait: Tellarites are known to be stubborn and prideful, and they have strong emotional responses. Tellarites' pig-headedness gives them resistance to Physical and Kinetic damage, and makes Placate, Hold, and Knockback effects less effective on them. Tellarites' stubbornness also allows them to break free from Confuse and Placate effects with great effort.

On Ground: +Res (Physical, Kinetic), +Res (Placate, Hold, Knock)
    50% chance for +20% All Damage for 20 sec when receiving a critical hit.
    On Ground: Click "Stubborn" to free yourself from Confuse and Placate effects.

been considering making a Tellarite engineer or tac officer lately they also look pretty good with the epic beard :)
  • caocaopuffcaocaopuff Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    1. Make Bolian
    2. Get all Bolian crew
    3. Form Blue Man Group, play shows on ESD
    4. Profit

But for a more serous answer, Joined Trills and Borg get a little bit of an edge in space (all careers) and Catian/Klingon get an edge in ground, especially if you decide to create a melee centric tactical.

IMO aliens are the most fun though, you can change your appearance drastically if you feel like.... growing antennae one day. Also, you can make super midgets with guns the size of their bodies and thats always hilarous. The free extra trait slot doesn't hurt either, especially with all the resequencers flying around
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tardes13 wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions ... sofar.

I see many cat fans. Why is this so popular ?

Also noticed almost half of the races that nobody seems to mention. Something wrong with them ?

Because cats are awesome XD.

In serious terms though, the cat species are just more interesting IMO. They are more exotic.
    Most of the fed species are generally humans with just some ridges, bumps, and different face structures, excluding people like the Tellarites.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Caitian/Ferasans are popular for being very distinct visually, and having several in-built abilities that make them fun to play. Their increased jump adds some fun trying to break the maps :P andthe Pounce ability is a great melee attack.

I have Ferasan main on my KDF and its the character I have the most fun on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If you want to rule the universe, roll a Ferengi Eng. and fly science ships spec'd into drain builds. "What's yours is mine!"
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • trycksh0ttrycksh0t Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well, I'm currently running a Klingon-aligned Joined Trill Engineer, who can only fly BoPs until I hit level 40 and can receive a Marauder as a 'gift' from the leaders of the Orion Syndicate (Klingon High Command doesn't exactly trust me due to my...colored past).

Additionally, none of my bridge crew can be promoted beyond the rank of the station they are assigned to, so no running around with an away team full of Commanders, and I've limited my weapons to 'canon only', so disruptors and photons all the way (Plasma-Disruptor Hybrids are allowed though, since they are technically disruptors). Ground equipment is free game, however, as pirates will use whatever is necessary to get the job done.

But, since we're on the Fed side of the forums, I'm going to throw out a Betazoid Tactical officer. Trying to outfight someone who can read your mind would absolutely suck.

Alternatively, a Rigelian Engineer would be damned near impossible to kill on the ground, a Tellarite Science officer, because Tellarites argue about EVERYTHING (go melee and pretend you're a space dwarf!)

Soo many +1's to the Pakled Science officer, I nearly spit coffee on my keyboard.
  • suzy32suzy32 Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited March 2014
  • hpgibbshpgibbs Member Posts: 395 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Caitian Engineer or Caitian Tac. If you want to have fun with ground combat, the engineer will do some crazy work for you. The enemy neutrilazation kit is so much fun, you also get the orbital strike and other fun abilities. Since Caitians are good with melee combat, bring on the Tholian Crystaline Sword from the lobi store. Best. Dang Sword. The space combat is just like any other engineer space combat. Oh, and the highest jump capability in game is pretty fun too.
    The Grate Lorde Cheesus
    Ship build coordinator for The Breakfast Club http://WWW.TBCSTO.COM
    Doesn't Owe Anyone EC
    Kirks Prot
  • mondoidmondoid Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Pakled Sci
    Caitian Eng
    Liberated Borg Tac
    Joined Trill Tac
    Klingon Sci
  • damzelltrilldamzelltrill Member Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Most people are suggesting prebuilt species, but don't over look the Alien option. You can customize to your heart's content, pick (nearly) any trait you want to start with. Build a Cardassian, Ocompa, or maybe something from Farscape or Star Trek.

I'm running a KDF Klingon/Romulan hybrid built with the alien option and she kicks butt. Should probably respec her skill tree though.
    A Trill, a Gorn, a Jem'Hadar, Bejoran and a Voth walk into a bar, and the Bartender asks "What is this a Joke?"
    "Nope, just my away team" the trill replies before ordering a round for the bar.
  • tardes13tardes13 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Pakled. Science.

Pakled does seem somewhat fun, but besides the LOLZ, their stats don't seem to go well with science abilities.

Wouldn't tactical fit better ?
    But, since we're on the Fed side of the forums, I'm going to throw out a Betazoid Tactical officer. Trying to outfight someone who can read your mind would absolutely suck.

Betazoid has crossed my mind. A problem here is the lack of telepathy. Is it only me, or their stats don't seem very telepathic ?

Caitian Engineer or Caitian Tac.
    That will be a really difficult choice.

I kind of enjoy engineer, but an issue I have is that the kit abilities are static - by the time I build the stuff and/or hope for the enemy to bump into it, the combat is already over.

On the other hand, I find Tac a bit squishy.

Tellarite

On Ground: +Res (Physical, Kinetic), +Res (Placate, Hold, Knock)
    50% chance for +20% All Damage for 20 sec when receiving a critical hit.
    On Ground: Click "Stubborn" to free yourself from Confuse and Placate effects.

Sounds interesting, what about a tellarite engineer ?